Start by marking “The Fever Almanac: Poems” as Want to Read:
The Fever Almanac: Poems

The Fever Almanac: Poems

4.54 of 5 stars 4.54  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  8 reviews
This collection of poetry from artist/poet Kristy Bowen juxtaposes experience, sexuality, love, and memory. The poems are small and exquisite windows that show glimpses of the psyche.
Published November 1st 2006 by Ghost Road Press

To ask other readers questions about The Fever Almanac, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fever Almanac

LaDonna
It is possible for words to break your heart. These poems did their work and then stuck in the cracks, haunting in the middle of the night until I woke up and read more, now, again.

I picked up The Fever Almanac several months ago, with an armful of other poetry. Somehow I let it languish on a shelf for too long, and only recently re-discovered it and realized I hadn't yet read it.

I knew nothing about Kristy Bowen when I opened to the first poem, but I was entranced before I was even halfway thro
Simone
Jul 29, 2007 Simone rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
In Bowen’s work, there is hazard to the homestead. Her poems reel you in with a southerner’s hospitality, but as soon as you feel safe, the floorboards start caving in. This is poetry that is both devotional and dangerous, and “prone to strange weather.” In these poems, occupied by “sadness and jazz in red dresses,” an exacerbated beauty resides that is mesmerizing and revelatory. She lays claim to ambivalence and ambiguity, to that hesitation space situated between the marvelous and the uncanny ...more
Talia
I’ve wanted to read this book ever since I came into contact with Bowen’s blog and discovered how very crazy she is. By that I mean genius. As well as being author of a few books, Kristy Bowen is also editor of the webzine Wicked Alice, and runs Dancing Girl Press, which was recently featured in Poets & Writers in an article on Independent Presses. She is now starting a new project; something to do with having “a room of one’s own” for women and their poetry in her home city of Chicago.

So,
Kristine Muslim
The Fever Almanac is a book of wants hoarded during a period of bad weather and recklessness. In this volume, Kristy Bowen’s poems are like fairy tales that espouse no morals. They read like dark secrets. The pale girls end up in the backseats of the boys in brown trucks. They brush their hair “until it hurts.” The houses are never filled because they all burn down or drought

“…settles in its bones,
rattles the windows.”

There is a recurring theme of rural lives being ruined by lust and discontent
Bonnie
Loved this amazing collection, each poem so evocative, lusty, and feminine. Each poem made me want to read the next one and while reading each poem I knew I would read it again.
So shocked and saddened to read of her passing.
Ann Cefola
Kristy Bowen has the edgy diction of Sylvia Plath and the mythic approach of Louise Gluck--this is an amazing book, from the alluring cover to the compact language inside. Look forward from more from Ms. Bowen!
Lauren
Little too sentimental/girly for my tastes. But I loved the line: "Even now, a grandmother / summers in my sternum, while another swims / the blood stream, the heart's gates and locks."
Lisa Cole
I liked Kristy Bowen's "The Bird Museum" better, but this book is still pretty amazing.
Jana
Jana marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Krista Burns
Krista Burns marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Meg Cowen
Meg Cowen marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Frederikke
Frederikke marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2014
Bridget
Bridget marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2013
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2012
June
June marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2012
cori
cori marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2012
L
L marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2012
Deborah
Deborah marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2011
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2010
Lydia
Lydia marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2010
Arlene Ang
Arlene Ang is currently reading it
Feb 14, 2010
« previous 1 3 next »
A writer and visual artist, Kristy Bowen is the author of several book, chapbook and zine projects, including the shared properties of water and stars (Noctuary Press), girl show (Black Lawrence Press, 2014) and the forthcoming major characters in minor films (Sundress Publications, 2015).

Her work has appeared in a variety of publications, including Stolen Island, Yew Journal, Projectile, Requited
More about Kristy Bowen...
Brief History of Girl as Match In the bird museum I Hate You James Franco Feign havoc