Start by marking “The Fever Almanac: Poems” as Want to Read:
The Fever Almanac: Poems

The Fever Almanac: Poems

This collection of poetry from artist/poet Kristy Bowen juxtaposes experience, sexuality, love, and memory. The poems are small and exquisite windows that show glimpses of the psyche.
Published November 1st 2006 by Ghost Road Press

To ask other readers questions about The Fever Almanac, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fever Almanac

LaDonna
Feb 04, 2008 LaDonna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, favorites
It is possible for words to break your heart. These poems did their work and then stuck in the cracks, haunting in the middle of the night until I woke up and read more, now, again.

I picked up The Fever Almanac several months ago, with an armful of other poetry. Somehow I let it languish on a shelf for too long, and only recently re-discovered it and realized I hadn't yet read it.

I knew nothing about Kristy Bowen when I opened to the first poem, but I was entranced before I was even halfway thro
Talia
Aug 01, 2007 Talia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I’ve wanted to read this book ever since I came into contact with Bowen’s blog and discovered how very crazy she is. By that I mean genius. As well as being author of a few books, Kristy Bowen is also editor of the webzine Wicked Alice, and runs Dancing Girl Press, which was recently featured in Poets & Writers in an article on Independent Presses. She is now starting a new project; something to do with having “a room of one’s own” for women and their poetry in her home city of Chicago.

So,
Simone
Jul 01, 2007 Simone rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
In Bowen’s work, there is hazard to the homestead. Her poems reel you in with a southerner’s hospitality, but as soon as you feel safe, the floorboards start caving in. This is poetry that is both devotional and dangerous, and “prone to strange weather.” In these poems, occupied by “sadness and jazz in red dresses,” an exacerbated beauty resides that is mesmerizing and revelatory. She lays claim to ambivalence and ambiguity, to that hesitation space situated between the marvelous and the uncanny ...more
Kristine Muslim
Jan 21, 2008 Kristine Muslim rated it really liked it
The Fever Almanac is a book of wants hoarded during a period of bad weather and recklessness. In this volume, Kristy Bowen’s poems are like fairy tales that espouse no morals. They read like dark secrets. The pale girls end up in the backseats of the boys in brown trucks. They brush their hair “until it hurts.” The houses are never filled because they all burn down or drought

“…settles in its bones,
rattles the windows.”

There is a recurring theme of rural lives being ruined by lust and discontent
Bonnie
Aug 16, 2013 Bonnie rated it it was amazing
Loved this amazing collection, each poem so evocative, lusty, and feminine. Each poem made me want to read the next one and while reading each poem I knew I would read it again.
So shocked and saddened to read of her passing.
Ann Cefola
Jan 17, 2010 Ann Cefola rated it it was amazing
Kristy Bowen has the edgy diction of Sylvia Plath and the mythic approach of Louise Gluck--this is an amazing book, from the alluring cover to the compact language inside. Look forward from more from Ms. Bowen!
Lisa Cole
May 29, 2010 Lisa Cole rated it it was amazing
I liked Kristy Bowen's "The Bird Museum" better, but this book is still pretty amazing.
Lauren
Apr 28, 2008 Lauren rated it liked it
Little too sentimental/girly for my tastes. But I loved the line: "Even now, a grandmother / summers in my sternum, while another swims / the blood stream, the heart's gates and locks."
Scott
Scott rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2007
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2008
Theresa
Theresa rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2007
Kristin
Kristin rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2007
Cinthia Ritchie
Cinthia Ritchie rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2012
Kendall
Kendall rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2008
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2010
Kristina Darling
Kristina Darling rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2008
Daniela
Daniela rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2007
Stacy
Stacy rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2012
Louise
Louise rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2008
Charmi
Charmi rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2007
Michelle Taransky
Michelle Taransky rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2007
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2008
Clay
Clay rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2007
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2007
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2007
Kristen
Kristen rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2008
Michaela
Michaela rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2011
Juliet
Juliet rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2007
Valerie
Valerie rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2010
Andreea
Andreea rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2017
A writer and visual artist, Kristy Bowen is the author of several book, chapbook and zine projects, including major characters in minor films (Sundress, 2015), the shared properties of water and stars (Noctuary Press), and girl show (Black Lawrence Press, 2014).

Her work has appeared in a variety of publications, including Stolen Island, Yew Journal, Projectile, Requited, Diagram and Delirious Hem
More about Kristy Bowen...