Start by marking “Fall Guy (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #7)” as Want to Read:
Fall Guy (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #7)

Fall Guy (Rachel Alexander & Dash #7)

Former detective turned noted author and dog trainer, Carol Lea Benjamin, returns with her celebrated dark and edgy suspense series featuring smart and compelling private investigator Rachel Alexander – a new addition to the Morrow/Avon list.

A New York City police officer nearing retirement dies "accidentally," while cleaning his service revolver in the bathroom of his Gre
Published June 28th 2005 by Avon (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Fall Guy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fall Guy

Nolan
Nov 20, 2009 Nolan rated it liked it
This is my first exposure to this author, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised by what I read. When a New York City detective dies, he names pet therapist and private detective Rachel Alexander as his executor. Why? He has a brother and sister who survive him. As Rachel digs into the deceased man's life, she uncovers childhood mysteries that could explain why his death seems more like suicide than an accident. She uncovers truths that may also explain why she was chosen as the executor--an ...more
Clare O'Beara
Sep 17, 2013 Clare O'Beara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dogs, america-crime
This is Benjamin's homage to the police and firefighters killed on September eleventh, channeled through the story of one man who survived but attended a therapy group afterwards, an NYPD detective who later had a fatal accident while cleaning his gun at home. Rachel Alexander, who barely knew him, is surprised to be nominated as his executor, but shoulders the responsibility.

As a PI she is naturally suspicious of anything that seems odd - the mendicant who found the deceased was stuffing a kit
LJ
FALL GUY (Amateur Sleuth-NYC-Cont) – G+
Benjamin, Carol Lea – 7th in series (MG)
PI and dog trainer Rachael Alexander is named executor for the will of a man who attended her post-9/11 therapy group but barely spoke a word. It's now up to Rachael to contact the relatives and clear out the apartment of Policeman Tim O'Connor, who committed suicide—or did he.
*** I found the first half of this book a bit slow but interesting. The interesting characters, particularly Brody, the investigating policeman
Susan
Nov 10, 2012 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-books-read
I decided to give this author a try and I really enjoyed the book. Too often, mysteries are poorly written or have absurd plots, and when you add a dog to the mix, it can become ridiculous. However, this book suffers from none of that - I enjoyed myself the whole way through. I will try more of this series for sure.
Cristina Oliveras
Aug 03, 2014 Cristina Oliveras rated it liked it
I purchased this book on sale at a bookstore that was closing. The cover attracted me. It say in my book shelf for a few years and I picked it up the other day to read it. It was an okay read. It was fun and kept a decent pace. It was a just an average mystery with an author who has a thing for dogs. The plot was nothing out of the ordinary.
Zann
Mar 30, 2013 Zann rated it really liked it
I really liked this mystery! And the main character's dog was a wonderful addition. He isn't "super-dog", doing things no real dog could ever do, but he is very well trained and is a steadying presence throughout the book.
I recommend this story to both mystery lovers and dog lovers!
Karen-Leigh
Oct 18, 2014 Karen-Leigh rated it really liked it
Shelves: cosy-mysteries
A really good book, couldn't put it down.
Dee
Sep 07, 2009 Dee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I plan to read another "Rachel Alexander Mystery".

Rachel isn't up there with characters like Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum or Sue Grafton's Kinsey Milhone, but she's fun, too.
Pam
Jan 08, 2013 Pam rated it it was amazing
Had me guessing to the end. What a wild ride! Love this series. Writing style is excellent, story is complex and love Dash! My favorite so far.
Nancy Ellis
Female detective Rachel Alexander with sidekick pit bull Dashiell. Pretty good, not good enough to try another one, tho.
Kurt
Sep 03, 2013 Kurt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Engaging story as the mystery unravels. I would read another in the series.
Kathleen O'Nan
May 15, 2016 Kathleen O'Nan rated it liked it
Book #7 in the Rachel/Dash series, this one is as good as its predecessors. I've enjoyed the series so far.
Marilyn
Marilyn rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2009
Josh
Josh rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2011
Susan
Susan rated it it was ok
Dec 10, 2008
Stephanie Wittenberg
Stephanie Wittenberg rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2016
Caroline
Caroline rated it liked it
May 27, 2010
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2015
Mike Gabor
Mike Gabor rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2012
Joy
Joy rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2008
Cassie
Cassie rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2012
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2013
jaxnsmom
jaxnsmom rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2011
Summer
Summer rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2010
Lucy
Lucy rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2015
Shirley Karabian
Shirley Karabian rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2015
Sandra Gilliland
Sandra Gilliland rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2017
Sharla
Sharla rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2012
Maile James
Maile James rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2013
Jenna
Jenna rated it really liked it
May 10, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Rapid Fire (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #2)
  • Chow Down (Melanie Travis, #13)
  • Creature Discomforts (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #13)
  • Blind Bloodhound Justice
A noted dog trainer and former detective, Carol Lea Benjamin is the author of books on canine behavior and training as well as the Rachel Alexander and Dash mystery series. She has been honored by the International Association of Canine Professionals with her election to their Hall of Fame. Ms. Benjamin lives in Greenwich Village with her husband and their dogs.
More about Carol Lea Benjamin...

Rachel Alexander & Dash (9 books)
  • This Dog for Hire (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #1)
  • The Dog Who Knew Too Much (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #2)
  • A Hell of a Dog (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #3)
  • Lady Vanishes (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #4)
  • The Wrong Dog (Rachel Alexander & Dash #5)
  • The Long Good Boy (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #6)
  • Without a Word (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #8)
  • The Hard Way (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #9)