Start by marking “South Park and Philosophy: Bigger, Longer, and More Penetrating” as Want to Read:
South Park and Philosophy: Bigger, Longer, and More Penetrating

South Park and Philosophy: Bigger, Longer, and More Penetrating (Popular Culture and Philosophy #26)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Trey Parker and Matt StoneOCOs long-running Comedy Central hit cartoon "South Park" has been equally cheered and reviled for its edgy humor, poited satire of current events and celebrities, and all-around obnoxiousness. But is there more to Kyle, the lonely Jew, Timmy and the Crips, CartmanOCOs bitchiness, ChefOCOs inappropriate advice, and KennyOCOs continued violent deat ...more
Published August 1st 2011 by Open Court Publishing Company (first published March 8th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about South Park and Philosophy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about South Park and Philosophy

Marcelo Pontin
So far this book is serious Philosophy dealing with real questions but looking at them through the lense of the pop culture phenomonon of South Park.

You can complain that south park is too libertarian or to scatalogical to be taken serious but in reality they touch subjects and topics even the news stays away from and tend to take the middle ground, Hanley argues that some times this is a 'Pussy move", right or wrong.

Philosophers referenced range from Kant, Singer and other more modern thinker
Ben Kline
Its a "collection" of philosophical essays through the use of South Park to originate and create the essay themes. This 'collection' is 90% Richard Hanley and the rest being a group of other writers from some of the other Pop Culture books or from Hanley's University of Delaware. Overall... its the typical superfluous not needed, and not terribly great writing, or even that amazing of a piece of work, as is usual for the series (essays vary, the books/themes vary, some great, some bad). This one ...more
Rob Haas
terrible. I felt like i was reading the thoughts of someone who smokes to much pot and tries to get real deep while they are high. This guy is supposed to be a professor of some weight at a prestigious university. Instead of giving me quality, i felt like i was stuck in the ramblings on an existentialist invalid.
Kristiana
I usually like the and philosophy types of books and I don't really mind reading anyone's arguments, but I do mind when the authors come in off the street, don't seem to care about the context of their examples and are determined to prove atheism in South Park when it's quite simply not the case.
Peter
Can see why god botherers might cringe. he uses sought park style language and directness etc. if ya cant handle a naughty word applied to your favorite god then 1- stay away from this book and 2- your a pussy.
Dwight
It was good, but not as good as some of the other Popular Culture and Philosophy books. This one was just as much social commentary by the authors as it was actual philosophy, if not more.
Brittiny
Excellent book. I have read it more times then I can count!
Will Pund
Will Pund marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Luella
Luella marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Tanya
Tanya added it
Aug 16, 2015
Farouk Adil
Farouk Adil marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Graham
Graham marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Bethadone
Bethadone marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Lou Molino Jr.
Lou Molino Jr. marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Bailey
Bailey marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Arek
Arek marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Ivan-goran
Ivan-goran marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Travis
Travis marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Rymalism
Rymalism marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Maša
Maša marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
  • More Matrix and Philosophy: Revolutions and Reloaded Decoded
  • Stephen Colbert and Philosophy: I Am Philosophy (And So Can You!)
  • Monty Python and Philosophy: Nudge Nudge, Think Think!
  • Family Guy and Philosophy
  • South Park and Philosophy: You Know, I Learned Something Today
  • The Legend of Zelda and Philosophy: I Link Therefore I Am
  • Terminator and Philosophy: I'll Be Back, Therefore I Am
  • The Daily Show and Philosophy: Moments of Zen in the Art of Fake News
  • Inception and Philosophy: Ideas to Die For  (Popular Culture and Philosophy)
  • Quentin Tarantino and Philosophy
  • Baseball and Philosophy: Thinking Outside the Batter's Box
  • The Chronicles of Narnia and Philosophy: The Lion, the Witch, and the Worldview
  • Star Wars and Philosophy: More Powerful than You Can Possibly Imagine
  • The Beatles and Philosophy: Nothing You Can Think that Can't Be Thunk
  • Sherlock Holmes and Philosophy: The Footprints of a Gigantic Mind
  • The Ultimate Lost and Philosophy: Think Together, Die Alone
  • Supervillains and Philosophy: Sometimes, Evil is its Own Reward
  • Radiohead and Philosophy: Fitter Happier More Deductive

Popular Culture and Philosophy (1 - 10 of 63 books)
  • Seinfeld and Philosophy: A Book about Everything and Nothing
  • Baseball and Philosophy: Thinking Outside the Batter's Box
  • The Sopranos and Philosophy: I Kill Therefore I Am
  • Woody Allen and Philosophy: [You Mean My Whole Fallacy Is Wrong?]
  • Harry Potter and Philosophy: If Aristotle Ran Hogwarts
  • Mel Gibson's Passion and Philosophy: The Cross, the Questions, the Controverssy
The Metaphysics of Star Trek Moving People, Goods and Information in the 21st Century: The Cutting-Edge Infrastructures of Networked Cities Moving People, Goods and Information in the 21st Century A Money Mind at Ninety Sustaining Urban Networks: The Social Diffusion of Large Technical Systems