Campaign Promises

Campaign Promises

3.06 of 5 stars 3.06  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Comedy writer and award-winning novelist Laurel Osterkamp has written a funny and moving novella about life, love, and politics as seen through the unique lens of Lucy Jones, a quintessential girl-next-door who is obsessed with political campaigns. Liberal, idealistic, and struggling to find her way, Lucy has an easier time believing in causes than she does in herself. But...more
Published (first published August 13th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Campaign Promises, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Campaign Promises

Avry15
originally appeared on:Bookshelf Confessions

Campaign Promises is a novella by Laurel Osterkamp, a story of a high-school girl Lucy and her humorous principles and ideas about politics and politicians, how she compare politics in everyday situations and how she grown up in the midst of politics, though she’s just in charge of the campaign.

The life of Lucy is rather insignificant compared to the life and opinions about the politicians presented in this novella. Lucy’s own story though, I appreciat...more
Liza
Enjoyable, decently written, but added nothing new to the story.

This is a short story written as an addendum to the previous novel, November Surprise. It's not really a stand-alone novel (too confusing and not enough background history, or at least not enough to be enjoyable). Read November Surprise first, or even instead of. This book added details to conversations and situations that were already discussed in the first book.

One chapter (of a five-chapter book) was an almost word-for-word repri...more
Chrissy (The Every Free Chance Reader)
It is a companion book to November Surprise...read it as such. Not a stand-alone.

Did I enjoy this book: It was okay. I wish I would have read it after I read November Surprise or while I was reading November Surprise. You could read each snippet where it would go in November Surprise. It would have made much more sense and I probably would have enjoyed it even more.

With that being said, I did find it interesting and entertaining. The author was quite creative with how she compared each life eve...more
Elizabeth
Too Short. I've now read several of Laurel Osterkamp's stories and all of them have been good and this one is just as readable. Witty, fast paced and well worth a look. A wonderful way to spend an hour or so in the sun.
Christine
We all have experienced defining moments in life. These are the moments that we attribute to changing direction, gaining a deeper understanding, but mostly profoundly shaping who we are as individuals. Laurel Osterkamp’s novella, Campaign Promises, is just this: five deeply compelling vignettes following Lucy Jones through her most significant moments over twenty years of her life.

Beginning in high school, Lucy finds it easiest to understand her current experiences through political campaign ana...more
Kathleen
Campaign Promises is a clever novella that provides the reader with a twenty year snapshot into the life of Lucy Jones, spanning from her senior year in high school in 1988 to her twenty year high school reunion in 2008. Told in the first person narrative, Lucy shares the evolvement and growth of her views on life, love and politics over the twenty years. The novella contains five snippets that marks Lucy's progression into adulthood every four years which coincides with a political election. Lu...more
Ashley
Laurel Osterkamp has another winner with the novella, Campaign Promises. Lucy Jones’ life is defined by significant moments in politics, from her first crush to her high school reunion, and a few more big events in between. Everything relates back to particular politicians and how their stories shape Lucy’s own perspective.

I’m a bit of a political junkie, and I couldn’t get enough of this book. I had never thought about significant events from my own life against the backdrop of the hot politica...more
S.B. Lerner
This novella consists of five separate stories told by a young woman, starting in high school, with breaks of several years between each story. Told in the first person, the narrator, a politically minded, liberal thinker, draws semi-philosophical connections between her life and that of a politician, one per chapter. I found it thoughtful and well-written. It reflects the kind of realizations that idealists often have about the 'real' world as they get older and more jaded. It doesn't carry an...more
Angie
This is a librarything membersgiveaway win...

I enjoyed the story line and the writing but the refrences to the politcal stuff thats happended before left me frustrated when I didnt know who the people were. Following Lucy through her life from high school I enjoyed, she was a shy senior and when a boy found her intersting she slowly blossmed. Though she was shy throuhout her life she made lasting friends through relationships which i thought was cool. She went from being a shy girl in high schoo...more
 Gigi Ann
This is a new month, "April 1, 2013" and I thought I would start my new month with a new author, Laurel Osterkamp, I've never read this authors works before. This book was a fast and quick read with a few funny spots along the way. It was a book I have on my Kindle, and if I remember correctly it was probably a freebie.

Since this is a new month I decided to make it my Kindle reading month. I keep downloading books on my e-readers and them forget to read them. Therefore, this month of April I am...more
Quentin Stewart
Very interesting story and a quick read. Ms. Osterkamp takes important events in her life and compares them to political events that occurred and that also affected her life in some way. Her stories tell of the political problems that arise from campaigns for high office. Whether it is a candidate that turns emotional during a press conference or candidate dying that causes a campaign promise to be broken they all affected her and she has been able to show how those incidents in campaigns can be...more
Jacqueline
If you've read November Surprise, you must read this companion book (and vice versa). This novella gives us more insight into the characters of November Surprise by developing into chapters, events that are mentioned in the previous book. The final chapter gives us a peek into the future. As with her previous book, this one is beautifully and thoughtfully written. I loved it. If you want to read more of Lucy, Monty and Jack, the author has a blog (November Surprises - Lucy's Political Blog) wher...more
Julie
I finished this book and I'm not sure what to make of it. In one chapter, I thought the one guy was her baby's daddy, to have to re-read the chapter to find out it was someone else! And a chick who defines herself by weird political candidates? The only reason I finished this book was that it was short and I figured what the hey. If you are looking for short, mindless fiction (emphasis on the mindless part), this would occupy you for an evening.
Emily
Nov 21, 2012 Emily rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: fluff
Mary Havlovic
Interesting Novella. Lucy Jones provides the reader with a view of 20 yrs of life as she goes from high school to adult/parenthood. She discusses her friendships, her love life, politics and her career. She shows the reader how her personality blossomed throughout these years. She tends to link up her events in her life with different political events and elections.

Chanpreet
This is an introduction of sorts to the full length novel November Surprise. It's really interesting and I am looking forward to reading the book. I am not very politically inclined, but always exercise my civic duty and right to vote.

I'm rooting for Lucy and Monty and I look forward to seeing where they go.
Donna
This is a clever novella of snapshots in the life of Lucy Jones, from her senior year in high school to her 20 year reunion. Fascinated with politics, Lucy compares love and life with notable modern day political campaigns. A few insightful passages worth highlighting. Good time-filler for a plane ride.
Elizabeth Olson
The protagonist narrator compares standout moments from her love life with great and not-so-great moments in American political history. It's a clever framework, but the story's events and the character's development are slight; I wish there had been more meat on those bones.
Kimberly
This book felt to short to me. By the time I was really into the story, it was over. Perhaps one more chapter would of given me the time with the character that I needed.

I would suggest checking this story out as it is a great read for the price I paid (free!).
Ana Popielnicki
If I had to read the name Gary Hart once more I was going to scream, and I was just around page 68. Could not finish. I imagine that had I read the previous novel by this author it would have made more sense, but in truth it was just not engaging enough for me.
Rob
This was like reading a series of personal long-form blog posts by a smart political blogger: interesting, amusing, and forgettable at the same time.
Girl on a shelf
Short and sweet, Osterkamp creates a world of politics and high school memories that meld together to form a novella that works.
Darlene
Nice short story that will keep you guessing. I enjoyed this book enough that I will watch for other books by her.
Elaine
hmph, it was okay; didn't know where it was going or anything like that - merely chapters in someone's life
Kylie
Kind of fills in some of the gaps in November Surprise...a quick read.
Samantha
I loved this book. Witty writers have my attention this month for sure!
Heidi
This book seems to be lacking something, maybe an ending?
Bethenia Dixon
Freebie from kindle
  • RUNNING
  • Here, Have a Husband
  • The Rhine Maiden
  • Restore My Heart (Mustang Sally Trilogy #1)
  • Searching For Meredith Love
  • Hot Flash
  • The Kitchen Shrink
  • Island Passage
  • 51/50 The Magical Adventures of a Single Life
  • My Lunatic Life (Lunatic Life, #1)
  • Dead End Job
Following My Toes Looking For Ward November Surprise Starring In The Movie Of My Life The Holdout