Start by marking “The Lotus Quest: In Search of the Sacred Flower” as Want to Read:
The Lotus Quest: In Search of the Sacred Flower

The Lotus Quest: In Search of the Sacred Flower

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  20 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A captivating history of one of the world’s most iconic and mysterious flowers

Bewitched by a lotus which flowered from three-thousandyear- old seeds in his English garden, Mark Griffiths set out to track the origins and significance of this sublime plant in this beautifully-illustrated book. The Lotus Quest takes Griffiths from the headquarters of the Linnaean Society i
Published July 6th 2010 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Lotus Quest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lotus Quest

Talbot Hook
There was some very beautiful imagery within this book. The author clearly has a deep appreciation and understanding of aesthetics- specifically those of Japan, which, of the cultures of the world, is the country most associated with attention to beauty and its development.

Praise stated, the historical accounts within this book were bland, and I felt as though the last few chapters were very disjointed from the focus of the author. They related only tangentially to the topic of the sacred lotus,
Koroviev
The books starts off very well, but it failed to keep me from somewhere around the middle. It is usually believed that "a picture is worth a thousand words", but the author seems to not think so. There are lengthy descriptions of lotuses in paintings, monuments etc when a simple figure would suffice (or at least be a good supplement to the text). I felt that the ratio of the knowledge I gained, to the amount I read was very low.

I would have appreciated if the author included at least a few maps
Jo
I didn't finish (renewals ran out at the library) but did benefit from this well-written-albeit-a-bit-too-dense-with-detail-for-me tome. The author's careful observations of the lotus or even aspects of the lotus that appear in art from around the world are revelations, and I loved his stories of visiting Linnaeus's original collection housed in a vault under Burlington House in London (who knew?) and of sprouting 3,000 year old lotus seeds in the blinking of an eye!
Maggie Sorgen
This story was brilliantly written, though a bit "text-bookish" so slow to read for me. Following Mark Griffiths journey through present-day Japan interwoven with her ancient history was fascinating. And the lotus! Sprouting 1000 year old seeds speaks volumes of the power and magic of this life-giving plant.
Pammie
Well written account of the author's investigation into the fascinating (and really long!!) history of the lotus. Seeds can lie dormant and then still germinate and flower after 2000+ years! Amazing!
Steven
Very interesting book but does go off the point a bit telling the story of japan's history. But well written and an enjoyable read.
Maggie
Absolutely wonderful - beautifully, poetically written and full of incredibly interesting and well-told stories.
Scott
Jan 10, 2014 Scott marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Well, shoot, nearest copy according to WorldCat is 236 mi. away, at Princeton U.
Mark
Brilliant! Wish he would do one on bamboo.
cherie
cherie is currently reading it
Feb 27, 2015
Jen
Jen is currently reading it
Feb 25, 2015
Kyle
Kyle marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Jill Texeira
Jill Texeira is currently reading it
Jan 13, 2015
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Adrianne
Adrianne marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
M
M added it
May 04, 2014
Tamar
Tamar marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
Andi
Andi marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
Shannon Yeargan
Shannon Yeargan marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Renee
Renee is currently reading it
Dec 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
More about Mark Griffiths...
Woodworking in a Weekend: 20 Simple Projects for the Home 51 Letters for IELTS General Training Writing Task 1 Hanging on Every Word Woodworking for the Weekend: 20 Projects Using Reclaimed Timber Woodworking in a Weekend: 20 Simple Projects for the Home