Stories of the Heart

Stories of the Heart

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Even as you read these words, there are women just like you stepping up and making a difference in their communities, making our world a better place to live. Three such exceptional women have been selected as recipients of Harlequin's More Than Words award. To celebrate their accomplishments, three bestselling authors have written short stories inspired by these real-life...more
Published February 28th 2012 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2012)

Marianne
More Than Words: Stories of the Heart is an omnibus of three short stories dedicated to supporting causes of concern to women: What Amanda Wants by Debbie Macomber, Small Packages by Brenda Novak and Worth The Risk by Meryl Sawyer. What Amanda Wants promotes Melissa’s Living Legacy Teen Cancer Foundation in a touching story about a young woman who suffers a recurrence of her childhood cancer. Macomber fans will be delighted to know that some characters from the Blossom Street series play an impo...more
Deborah Darsie
I enjoyed the preface by each author, giving us a glimpse of the cause or movement which inspired the story and a few details about the people behind it.

I preferred the first story (What Amanda Wants) - probably because the story fit so nicely in the Blossom Street world of Macomber's making. A visit with some old friends and little glimpses on a couple new ones? Teens and cancer - not a lightweight topic but well handled.

I had a little harder time appreciating Lexi in 'Worth the Risk' - I think...more
Christy Farmer
Three novellas by three authors—each selecting an organization to highlight. Loved the idea of weaving a story line around organizations making a difference.

Stories of the heart is a heartwarming, quick read.

My personal favorite? Small Packages by Brenda Novak. 5 Stars for a great story and for making me cry!
April Suter
Three short stores about people who are trying to make a difference.
What Amanda Wants by Debbie Macomber is a peak into A Good Yarn and Lydia has a connection to a teenager whose cancer has returned. (sounds familiar?)
Small Packages is a cute 'what if' story. What if you are raised by just your mom because the other parent chooses not to be a part of your life...and you find out now you will be a parent...and what if you are left with a child to raise...what choices to make?
Worth the Risk--Lexi...more
Cheryl
I only read What Amanda Wants" at this time because I'm reading the Blossom Street series. This story goes with the series.
Debbie
Read the Debbie Macomber story only. Not an upbeat subject.
Michelle
This book contains 3 novellas: What Amanda Wants by Debbie Macomber, Small Packages by Brenda Novak and Worth the Risk by Meryl Sawyer. What Amanda Wants is an uplifting story about a very difficult situation; Ms Macomber did a great job at writing an uplifting story and everything is resolved well. Small Packages has a little bit of the "uh-oh I have to get this resolved because I'm almost at my page limit" so the story suffers a little. Worth the Risk just seemed to end. I didn't feel like the...more
Kayla
A great fast read book!
Pamela
This books contains three novellas. The idea behind the book is a fun raiser for three different real life organizations. Sales of the book go to help these organizations. So the idea is wonderful. The stories are surprising lacking. Especially Debbie Macomber's. I have read everyone of Debbie's books but this one is definitely the worse. If you are looking to support the causes the book and stories emphasize it is fine if you are looking for a good read-don't bother.
Patricia Solla
What terrific heart warming stories. There are three stories from three different authors. First we get a real life description of a person and a charity they have established or are involved with working for a charity that the author has chosen to write about. Then we get a story based on something that relates to the charity. These were truely stories of the heart. I know there are other More Than Words Stores of ... I plan I finding and reading them too.
Ivy
I hate these books that are just a bunch of novellas. Any of the three stories could really have been improved by giving the author more that 100 pages of double spaced type. I never expect great literature from this type of book, but this one seemed particularly brainless. I like that each story dealt with a service organization and that some of the profits from the book will go to these organizations.
Gloria
I enjoyed this book which is really 3 short novellas. Each is designed to pay tribute to real women who have made a difference in their communities. The Macomber story follows Amanda and Annie from the Blossom Street Series. The characters from theother 2 stories were new to me.
Tara
3 stores that really touched the heart - 1 about a cancer survivor, 1 about a lady who lost a baby and a husband but gained another baby and husband, the last one about a sister who wanted more for her sister and they both found more.
Alice
Enjoyed reading the Macomber one because it tied in with her Cedar Cove series. Enjoyed the other two stories and the organizations they've founded and promote.
Dawn
a real feel good book. the stories are truly wonderful. love the connection of the Debbie Macomber story to the "A good yarn" series.
Lauren
Touching stories to remind us to enjoy life to its fullest and look to the good no matter what.
Claudia
A good story by all, hard to read sometimes, but really worth it!
Marcie
this review is only for What Amanda Wants.. very touching story...
Carol
Sampled each of the stories but really didn't care for this book.
Teri Pre
I only read the Debbie Macomber one...it was pretty good.
Red
Wasn't great. Had to return book. Might try again later.
Katie Laporta
A quick, feel good anthology.
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Monika
Monika marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Tina Page
Tina Page marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

Macomber is the author of more than 100 novels, most recently the instant #...more
More about Debbie Macomber...
The Shop on Blossom Street (Blossom Street, #1 ) A Good Yarn (Blossom Street, #2) 204 Rosewood Lane (Cedar Cove, #2) 16 Lighthouse Road Twenty Wishes (Blossom Street, #5)