Start by marking “The Cook's Illustrated Cookbook” as Want to Read:
The Cook's Illustrated Cookbook

The Cook's Illustrated Cookbook

4.5  ·  Rating Details ·  1,693 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews

Every other month, Cook's Illustrated Magazine attracts more than a million readers. Now subscribers and non-subscribers alike can benefit from the expertise of these America's Test Kitchen cooking wizards. This deluxe hardcover contains more than 2,000 foolproof recipes and 150 test kitchen discoveries. Browse it; buy it; use it.

Published October 1st 2011 by Cook's Illustrated

To ask other readers questions about The Cook's Illustrated Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cook's Illustrated Cookbook

Marvin
Dec 10, 2011 Marvin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I am a huge fan of Cook's Illustrated magazine and their cookbooks are never anything less than incredible. Yet even I was astounded at the perfection of their new cookbook. Simply titled Cook's Illustrated Cookbook. it has 2,000 recipes all perfected in the obsessive-compulsive style of the Cook's Illustrated chefs. It is not unusual to read things like "300 pounds of beef were grilled to perfect this burger recipe" in their magazines and this cookbook shows the same dedication. Being the long ...more
Sarah Wilson
Jan 14, 2012 Sarah Wilson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, cookbooks
I absolutely love this cookbook, but I love anything from Cooks Illustrated or America's Test Kitchen. This is the encyclopedia of cooking everything and it hasn't steered me wrong yet. Anyone who follows the magazine or television show knows that the recipes generally are labor intensive and will pretty much create enough dirty dishes to keep you, or in my case, my husband :), elbow-deep in dishwater for a good long time. But if you love to cook amazing food, this is your book. Nothing frustrat ...more
Lorraine
Apr 10, 2015 Lorraine rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those who enjoying cooking or reading. cookbooks.
I have been receiving Cook's Illustrated Magazine for years. I also belong to all three of their websites and I like to cook. My true love in cooking is baking. All that being said, I still have a long way to go until I can call myself truly accomplished in the kitchen. Cook's Illustrated does what it states - it illustrates various methods, shows one how to do a certain procedure as well as explains why a recipe will work. All of this is very good for one who may not have confidence in a certai ...more
Joy
Oct 08, 2013 Joy rated it it was amazing
Great compilation of recipes. I have tried a few recipes and they never disappoint! It makes me excited to learn to cook when my family approves of the results! Highly recommend it!
Eric
Nov 07, 2013 Eric rated it really liked it
OK. So I haven't read this book from cover to cover but it is my current favorite cookbook. I've been reading their magazine for the last 3-4 years and have been happy with most every recipe I've tried. The failure in a cooking magazine is that you need to remember what issue your recipe was in or tear them up and start a scrapbook or something. This book is the perfect solution. They take 20 years of excellent recipes and organize them for you. The catch is that this is not an all-inclusive typ ...more
Amy
Dec 05, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
This cookbook was a gift to me two years ago for Christmas. I have since used it and raved about it more times than I can count. In fact, if I want to try something, I'll pull out this monster and look for notes about how to do it. The notes on why the recipes are written in a certain way are fantastic (and if you geek out about the explanations behind good cooking like I do, check out The Science of Good Cooking: Master 50 Simple Concepts to Enjoy a Lifetime of Success in the Kitchen.

There are
A Gemini
Dec 09, 2011 A Gemini rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-cookbooks
A home cook's definite must-have, this hefty book filled with tried and true tested recipes with wonderful easy to follow directions, tips, hints and tricks. Although on its own it is already an awesome resource, it still allows for the cook's creativity and expression. This compendium remains as one of my go-to for celebrations and day to day cooking with Quick Brioche and The Ultimate Banana Bread always in high demand from my kitchen. Perhaps, you will find it an priceless piece in your kitch ...more
Jean
Jan 05, 2013 Jean rated it it was amazing
Just discovered this book after reading about Christopher Kimball in the NY Times magazine article:

Got it from the library and just loved it - so ordered it online for a great price! Considering just dumping all of my other cookbooks since this one is so complete. The recipes were created thoughtfully as to get exactly what you want. e.g. simply from making a cup of coffee and the best hard-boiled egg and baking bacon to croissants and many many chicken di
Jaylia3
Oct 31, 2011 Jaylia3 rated it it was amazing
With 2,000 recipes this huge, heavy tome is my new “go-to” cookbook. Every recipe has been tested and retested, and my favorite aspect of the book is the “Why This Recipe Works” explanations at the top of each entry that explain how traditional recipes can go wrong and what remedies they’ve discovered that will improve the outcome. Even for a vegetarian there are hundreds of recipes, including a section on how to make grilled vegetables have better flavor and texture.
Amanda
Mar 05, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it
I've had this on my Amazon wish list for a while. I wondered why the price never dropped, I missed that there are 2000 recipes. This book is the size of a science text book. And I'm loving every recipe. Yes, I'm reading this thing like a book. It deserves such reading. It's full of awesome tips, easy and yummy recipes (I tried the oven fries recipe already and it actually improved what I thought were pretty perfect fries). Definitely keeping this one on the wish list, I must own it one day.
Erin Swann
Aug 14, 2014 Erin Swann rated it it was amazing
Shelves: love
God, so many recipes.... so little TIME! I get the magazine publication and it's great! This cookbook is a compilation of the best - You CANNOT go wrong! I am happy that they kept in the "Why it works" which is something I like about the magazine. You become a more knowledgeable cook, instead of just learning how to make one delicious thing, and it helps when you are developing your own version of recipes (which I end up doing most of the time...) :)
Gloria
Oct 07, 2011 Gloria added it
Shelves: cookery
This is a really huge book that covers about all areas of cooking including much international cooking. Did not make anything yet, but as an experienced cook, you can tell the recipes are good. Some recipes require really special ingredients, but most are just good solid recipes with loads of explanation accompanying the entries. Will come back to this one.
Lynn Spencer
Aug 02, 2012 Lynn Spencer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I love Cook's Illustrated magazine, and this cookbook is fabulous! Anyone can follow a recipe, but it was Cook's Illustrated that really taught me how to cook. They do a great job not just with recipes, but with teaching one cooking techniques and bits about the science that makes a dish work. I have quite a few cookbooks, but this is my new favorite!
Leigh
A comprehensive, interesting guide to cooking that is full of amazing recipes. I own what feels like a bazillion cookbooks but I cheerfully made room for this one, because the cover is beautiful. Because the recipes are interesting. Because the writing is so good. And because I just plain wanted it.
Elizabeth
Jun 29, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
I have never been disappointed with anything I have made out of this book. Everything is amazing. However, I knocked off a star because sometimes chicken and dumplings just don't need to be as complicated as they make 'em and they will still taste great.
Scott
Jan 05, 2014 Scott rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
One of my go to reference books in the kitchen. Solid recipes that cover a very wide spectrum. Contains some trendy recipes, but I usually look here for the basics. Need a caramel sauce for a pie? Don't use the one that came from the food blogger...use the CI version.
Peggie
Mar 02, 2013 Peggie rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This is a giant book - almost unwieldy. I can't remember why I wanted to see this book but there were so many recipes, unless you had something specific in mind, you aren't going to find anything useful.

It might be a good reference, but most of this is online.
Kelley
Dec 01, 2014 Kelley rated it it was amazing
The Cooking Bible. I even look up little things I always knew how to do-- boiling eggs for instance-- to find their tried and true recommendations. I use this cookbook all the time. But most recipes take at least 2 hours to cook! Love the "why it works" section on each page.
Laura Alexander
Dec 25, 2016 Laura Alexander rated it it was amazing
We call this the magic cookbook!! It has never let us down but be careful you must read the recipe first for timing or you'll realize something was supposed to marinate for three hours, that's why it's so delicious!
Kristin
Sep 28, 2013 Kristin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Cooks Illustrated tests their recipes approximately four million times before they publish them, to make sure they're perfect. An added bonus is the description before each and every recipe of how all the other versions ever made are awful in comparison.
Liz De Coster
Oct 18, 2011 Liz De Coster rated it really liked it
Shelves: hobbies, food
Cook's Illustrated is my go-to source for so many recipes, especially when I want to try to tackle a classic dish for the first time. I took my time with this book, stopping to try recipes along the way. Wish I had space in my kitchen to keep it with me all the time!
Penelope
Feb 18, 2014 Penelope rated it it was amazing
This is a great resource book and if you are not a good cook, this book will change that! The directions and illustrations guarantee great results!! So many great recipes to choose from! This has become my favorite cookbook!
Elissa
Dec 26, 2013 Elissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
If you love to cook, this should be on your shelf. Basic recipes, but just done really well. No shortcuts, and some of the recipes aren't ideal for a busy Wednesday night, but nothing too difficult for anyone who has a basic knowledge of cooking. I will be using this cookbook often.
Katie
Oct 02, 2015 Katie rated it it was amazing
What a terrific cookbook. Filled with great recipes and information. I moved it from my borrowed library books to the top of my Christmas wish list.

If you like foodie stuff, cooking, I recommend this super book.
Megan
Aug 03, 2014 Megan rated it liked it
A great compilation of recipes. No, they aren't the shortest or fastest, but you can be assured that they will turn out delicious.
Deborah Vespo
Sep 06, 2014 Deborah Vespo rated it it was amazing
Amazing!!! Love this book!!! Checked out from library and had to have it, so now I'm a proud owner of this awesome book! I can't believe the things I'm making. Me!!?? My husband likes it too!
Ben
Aug 02, 2015 Ben rated it it was amazing
A great resource that delivers outstanding results with every recipe. If you enjoy the process of cooking as much as the end result, this is the cookbook for you.
Kelly
Jan 23, 2014 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food, cookbook
Lots of really excellent recipes, with variations.

This is a book to own and refer to frequently.
Emily
Feb 15, 2014 Emily rated it it was amazing
A definitive cookbook for understanding the basic skills and techniques for cooking, baking and grilling.
Klara Oh
Jun 29, 2016 Klara Oh rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite book books! The desserts and breads are wonderful in here!
Goodreads Librari...: several copies of the same edition appearing 2 19 Mar 29, 2014 12:09AM
  • The America's Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook
  • Making Artisan Pasta: How to Make a World of Handmade Noodles, Stuffed Pasta, Dumplings, and More
  • The Big Sur Bakery Cookbook: A Year in the Life of a Restaurant
  • Relaxed Cooking with Curtis Stone: Recipes to Put You in My Favorite Mood
  • The Homesick Texan Cookbook
  • Bon Appetit Desserts: The Cookbook for All Things Sweet and Wonderful
  • Baked Elements: The Importance of Being Baked in 10 Favorite Ingredients: The Importance of Being Baked in 10 Favorite Ingredients
  • Flour, Too: Indispensable Recipes for the Cafe's Most Loved Sweets & Savories
  • What's a Cook to Do?: An Illustrated Guide to 484 Essential Tips, Techniques, and Tricks
  • Sweet Cream and Sugar Cones: 90 Recipes for Making Your Own Ice Cream and Frozen Treats from Bi-Rite Creamery
  • A Bird in the Hand: Chicken recipes for every day and every mood
  • The Beekman 1802 Heirloom Dessert Cookbook: 100 Delicious Heritage Recipes from the Farm and Garden
  • Ruhlman's Twenty: The Ideas and Techniques that Will Make You a Better Cook