Start by marking “The Shift: The Future of Work is Already Here” as Want to Read:
The Shift: The Future of Work is Already Here

The Shift: The Future of Work is Already Here

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  132 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
An unhysterical look at the future of employment.

We are now facing a revolution in the way we work. A substantial schism in the past which is so great that the work we do will change – possibly so that in two decades our working lives will have been so REWORKED that they are unrecognisable.

This is not just about the impact that a low carbon enonomy will have on the way we
Published May 12th 2011 by HarperCollins Business

To ask other readers questions about The Shift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shift

Jonathan Peto
This was an unusual choice for me. It probably deserves more than three stars, because I enjoyed thinking it over as I read, because I marked a lot of passages, and because I did not dismiss any of it outright, though I did create a raised eyebrow icon for marking passages I had doubts or suspicions about. In Part 1, the author, Lynda Gratton, identifies five forces that will shape the future. If you read the newspaper or other nonfiction, her choices will probably not shock you: technology, glo ...more
Mark Dongen
Apr 13, 2013 Mark Dongen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Linda touches on a number of great points wich we might be confronted with in the next years in our work as leaders as well as HR professionals. As these points would ask a different mindset from us, as well as a different set of solutions, we need to start thinking NOW about how to be prepared for that future. In my view this is therefore a book you would want to read sooner, rather than later. Though the future she portraits seems sometimes gloomy to me, this might only underline I am not gen ...more
Eustacia Tan
Mar 26, 2016 Eustacia Tan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was recommended to me by a Japanese friend - he read the Japanese version, which is titled "Work Shift" and confused me because I could NOT find a book by that title. But eventually I found it, and woah, is it a thought provoking read.

The book goes like this. First, the author identifies what she thinks are the most important macro-trends taking place. Next, she looks at six possible aspects of the future, three positive and three negative.

The negative aspects are:
1. Fragmentation - a world
Phil Williams
Jan 11, 2012 Phil Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In her book The Shift, The Future of Work is already here, Lynda Gratton takes a long hard look at future trends that will affect the future of work and through developing future scenarios – both negative and positive – she seeks to make concrete her findings by illustrating practical futures of what work might look like for a number of us. The book is based on very extensive research drawing on an extensive network of high level contacts enjoyed by Ms Gratton from her position as an academic at ...more
Jean-philippe Michel
Thinking critically about the future allows us to make better decisions today. This is why books like The Shift have the potential to have a positive impact on our career and lives. Unfortunately, this book falls short of this promise for three reasons: 1) it focuses more on the present than the future; 2) it has too few bold predictions and actionable insights about the future and 3) it is missing a compelling conclusion or call to action at the end.

The best part of the book was the section wit
Obeida Takriti
Jun 14, 2015 Obeida Takriti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
من الكتب القليلة التي تترك لديك أسئلة مصيرية..
وهنا السؤال عن العمل.. عملك في المستقبل..

هذا ثالث كتاب أقرؤه للكاتبة نفسها وكل كتاب كان تجربة مختلفة..

هذا الكتاب يتحدث عن النقلات التي علينا كأشخاص، مؤسسات، ومجتمعات القيام بها لكي نتأقلم مع العمل في المستقبل..

تبدأ الكاتبة بشرح خمسة قوى أساسية ستكون محور التغير الحالي والمستقبلي، وهي:

ستشكل الخمس قوى المذكورة عالمنا المستقبلي مشكلة خيارات م
Romuald
Jan 06, 2012 Romuald rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: strategy, business
This is the kind of book that everybody should read. It looks at the current trends and describes how our careers will be. Or at least the possible scenarios for it.
A must read.
Amie
Aug 03, 2014 Amie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting. Talks about 5 major forces which are changing the way we work, the impact of these forces and ways individuals might adapt or plan for these changes. Highly recommend giving it a read!
Sokolovich
Aug 16, 2015 Sokolovich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helpful and thought provoking read, to consciously understand challenges in present labour market and future scenarios.
Ryotaro Nagasawa
Silvia Pato
Jun 22, 2016 Silvia Pato rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: essay, review
Interesante obra de Lynda Gratton, cuyo título puede conducir a engaño, pues nada tiene que ver con libros de autoayuda ni similares lecturas.
Gratton aborda el estudio del trabajo haciendo contraposición entre los tiempos anteriores a Internet, el proceso que vivimos en la actualidad y los hechos que, probablemente, se sucederán en el futuro.
El ensayo encara la temática desde una perspectiva histórica, antropológica y social, por más que parezca que su título fue elegido para servir de gancho a
Sujit Nair
Feb 21, 2015 Sujit Nair rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has to be read by everyone in order to get a better understanding about how your life will be 10-15 years down the line despite what profession you're into. Leaves you with an insightful thought and something to ponder over questions.
Itsuro
Feb 09, 2015 Itsuro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book will shed a light on different aspects, but closely related issues in our current and future life. What is good, even challenge, is to indicate some steps to take in terms of shift in our lives. Those who are interested in different kinds of economics may receive interesting insights.
Luke
Dec 02, 2013 Luke rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Great ideas! But I think they would have been better told via a cartoon or presentation. The book got too wordy and contained a lot of conjecture by the author. Not that it was bad, but I didn't find it so engaging.
It could also have been better told as a work of fiction. It was mostly fiction in the scenarios the author creates, but they were not so entertaining. The dissection of the scenarios could be interesting but I found it dragging on. Maybe different if you are pre-Generation Y?
George Wang
Feb 20, 2013 George Wang marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
recommended by CECA career advisor Tanya Gillert on 2013-02-20
Indy
Nov 23, 2014 Indy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I highly recommend this book.
Ilyong Park
일의 미래
- 10년 후, 나는 어디서 누구와 어떤 일을 하고 있을까?
Roberto Gallardo
Roberto Gallardo marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Shane D
Shane D marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Ipshita
Ipshita marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
ثامر شاكر
ثامر شاكر rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2016
Kanakoarai4242gmail.Com
Kanakoarai4242gmail.Com is currently reading it
Jul 22, 2016
Urgel Augustin
Urgel Augustin rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2016
Harshit Aggarwal
Harshit Aggarwal marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Richard Hu
Richard Hu rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2016
Lisa Durff
Lisa Durff marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2016
Michael Tuteur
Michael Tuteur marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Vera Hoffman
Vera Hoffman marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
  • Collaborative Intelligence: Using Teams to Solve Hard Problems
  • One Page Talent Management: Eliminating Complexity, Adding Value
  • Cultural Strategy: Using Innovative Ideologies to Build Breakthrough Brands
  • Un-Jobbing : The Adult Liberation Handbook (Second Edition)
  • The Temptation of the Impossible: Victor Hugo and "Les Miserables"
  • One Person/Multiple Careers: A New Model for Work/Life Success
  • 501 Great Writers: A Comprehensive Guide to the Giants of Literature
  • Future Minds: How the Digital Age Is Changing Our Minds, Why This Matters, and What We Can Do About It
  • Certain to Win: The Strategy of John Boyd, Applied to Business
  • Why You're Dumb, Sick, & Broke: And How to Get Smart, Healthy, & Rich!
  • Howard's Gift: Uncommon Wisdom to Inspire Your Life's Work
  • Fixing the Game: Bubbles, Crashes, and What Capitalism Can Learn from the NFL
  • From Gutenberg to Zuckerberg: What You Really Need to Know About the Internet
  • Hacking Work: Breaking Stupid Rules for Smart Results
  • Innovation Games: Creating Breakthrough Products Through Collaborative Play: Creating Breakthrough Products and Services
  • The Dance of Change: The challenges to sustaining momentum in a learning organization
  • All Things at Once