Start by marking “The Burning of Grey” as Want to Read:
The Burning of Grey

The Burning of Grey

4.42 of 5 stars 4.42  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Reid Davis lives a quiet life in a small, rural town on a simple street. But in his mind, he shares a life with people that don't exist outside of it. He visits his doctor once a week for therapy after an accident left his body nearly dead but his thoughts, though jagged, very much alive. He has no recollection of the car accident and in fact, has little memory of anything ...more
Published February 10th 2012 by RJ Blackstone Ltd. (first published January 23rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Burning of Grey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Burning of Grey

Deadly Election by Arthur CrandonFirst I Love You by Genevieve DeweyFound Money by Peter Watson JenkinsHot & Spicy by P.T. MaciasCurse Girl by Mark Mackey
Little Known Authors Worth Reading
112th out of 2,750 books — 2,331 voters
The Bridge To Caracas by Stephen DouglassShadow Hills by Anastasia HopcusThe Secret Magdalene by Ki LongfellowKerri's War by Stephen DouglassThe Tainted Trust by Stephen Douglass
Lesser Known Authors
480th out of 3,421 books — 4,146 voters

More lists with this book...

Gary Ward
The Burning of Grey is not only a book that will keep your attention and have you staying up half the night reading it, it's also a very timely book, due to the ongoing debates on memory manipulation research. The settings are richly described, the author is very good at painting a picture in the readers' mind. Some of my favorite quotes from the book are:

"He felt his breath suck out of his lungs and his sight went black. Everything seemed to settle in pieces as it hit the ground, like the last
Michelle Khzouz
Thank you Goodreads for the First Reads copy! What a fantastic book, I couldn't put it down for two days! I kept wondering if I was reading a thriller or a mystery or a love story. I loved how the author intertwined a variety of characters and story's. Each story was interesting and easy to follow and understanding how the stories would come together kept me wanting more. Enjoy!
J. Shurwen
I had this book on my "to read" list for over two months and I finally got around to it after finishing up The Hunger Games (which wasn't as great as I'd expected it to be.…go figure?)

Anywho, The Burning of Grey grabbed my interest from the start. Although I was pretty certain how things might eventually end up, I grew attached to the characters and really wanted to see how exactly it played out in detail. I became more interested as the story progressed.

My only criticism was that it kinda fel
Laura Potts
If you love mystery/thrillers you will love this book. The Burning of Grey is a true page turner. Steele's descriptive writing provided such vivid visualizations that while reading I often was transported to the places Reid (the main character) was - a foggy pier in San Francisco or the mountains of Bolivia - and could "see" everything unfold. This was most definitely a great addition to my book collection and one that I have no doubts I will go back and revisit again.
Jack Lamner
This book is amazing. The opening pages really did a lot to get me invested in the main character. When I say that, really I mean to point out that the writer did so much, with so little. It's a simple introduction to a complex character. Someone you will WANT to follow and see where the path leads. There is where many modern books fail, and fail hard in my opinion. Those first two pages are crucial in getting me hooked, and the author managed to do that with just a few sentences.

I personally do
John K
I didn't know what to expect having located the book by accident on Amazon, but I took a chance and got the kindle edition. Having read the (perfectly titled I might add) book in basically one sitting, I must say that I'm now a dedicated fan of the author. The story evolves organically with just the right amount of suspense and intrigue, and the characters are all unique but very natural and believable. I am in eager anticipation of Giselle Steele's next book!
Kara Stone
There aren’t many writers who can produce genuine page-turners these days but Giselle Steele is one and The Burning of Grey had me gripped from the start . . . The characters are superb!
Suzy Chan
The author gave this book the right mix of suspense, drama and a little romance. The characters are very skillfully drawn. I loved it!
Jessica
It's a shame we can't give books zero stars.

This was a miserable sham of a book. I'm just glad I didn't spend more than $3 on it. How this was published, and how it got so many great reviews, I'll just never know.

To start, the story is way too transparent. You have it all figured out the second something or someone is introduced. The characters were ridiculous to start and downright annoying as the story progressed.

The writing style set my teeth on edge. I don't know if this book lacked an edi
Russell Mccray
I expected this book to be good because the subject sounded interesting, but I also thought since it's by a first-time author, it might not be quite up to par with plotting, characterization, etc. I'm happy to say I was very wrong about that.

I can certainly see why this novel has gotten so many great reviews. The story is very engaging and compelling. The novel masterfully combines a compelling moral theme, an emotional plot, and a sense of mystery that kept me hooked. The author employs a uniqu
Andrea Martin
The plot of this book is right up my alley. It's about a guy who has lost most of his memory and through a series of events begins to realize that there's a conspiracy to keep him from remembering who he is. The opening chapter got me interested from the start (it's descriptive - makes you feel like you're there). Since it's usually the case with most novels, I kind of kept expecting to come upon a slow chapter, but I was pretty stoked to find that every chapter ended up being intriguing and wel ...more
Kim Lauman
The Burning of Grey is one of the first books in a long time that has kept me reading long past my bedtime--one more chapter, just one more chapter--to see what was going to happen next. Steele is a wonderfully vivid writer. She sets her scenes with such detail and imagery that you can easily imagine every object. Her characters are well crafted. She knows them so well and creates them with such complexity that they become real to you, and she transports you seamlessly into her prose. Definitely ...more
Kim
Received this from Goodreads Giveaway:

The story is way too easy to figure everything out. Every character was introduced right off the bat with their background and their involvement. If some of the characters was keeping hidden mysteriously, it would make us wondering and guessing and involving more to the story. Unfortunately the book fell to do so.

The beginning was quite good, until it progressed further and the flow of the story became ridiculous in my opinion.
Ashley Kinsman
What I love best about great fiction is its ability to help me escape the confines of my mind and experience reality through the eyes of the unique characters in the book. This book absolutely does that. The plot is great, I loved all the characters and it is superbly written.
The Burning of Grey is totally engrossing--brilliant from beginning to end. Definitely make time to read it because you're not going to want to break away from it once you start.

Scott Roth
I read this knowing very little about the story, which I often find is the best way to read a book - without anyone else's plot summary or opinion clouding your judgment. The pace is excellent in the story, easy to get lost in, and hard to put down. If you're into chick lit, horror or historical drama this book is not for you, but if you enjoy a good suspense/mystery with a scientific slant my bet is you'll really enjoy it.
Amie
Awesome book! I was very pleasantly surprised by this book since I hadn't read anything from this author before so I didn't know what to expect. The story is about a guy who's had his memory manipulated by someone who wants/needs something from him. He receives a letter with just a key and an address in it and he embarks on a journey to find out who sent it and why. Very suspenseful, I really enjoyed it!
Steve Crawford
I found the "The Burning of Grey" to be an incredible book that drew me in from the first turn of page one. The author has a unique and ingenious style of story-telling, in which she weaves a wonderful tale while following the main character through the US and Internationally, searching for clues to his past. It is a very original book, filled with twists and turns that kept me interested.
Brooke S
I don't often submit reviews here, but then again, it's not often I devour a book within just a few days--when that happens, however, I feel compelled to pay a compliment. This book kept me turning pages late into the night. Crisp writing, compelling characters, and sharp, witty observations make it a must read. Steele has a new fan. Can't wait to read the next one...
Donna22
Just finished it and thoroughly enjoyed it!! It's definitely a page-turner, and Reid (main character) and his life are intriguing so I felt like I absolutely had to know what happened next. Some parts of the story are set in flashbacks or dreams, since Reid has lost his memory, and the author does an excellent job of taking you into his dreams and back to reality seamlessly.
Tamera
The subject of this book really drew me in. Once I started reading I had to keep going. Each page had a new twist or a new turn and many times the suspense had me at the edge of my seat. Bravo Ms. Steele for an excellent debut! I raved about it so much that my husband has just begun reading it and is thoroughly enjoying it too!
Tatum Marney
I was completely taken in by this book to the point that I accomplished nothing else until I reached the final page. This is an amazing novel with a complex plot line that has been artfully crafted. Well worth the read - especially for those of us who long for good character development and uinque stories!
Jenna Parson
This was such an amazing and thought provoking story, with well developed characters that you can't help but love and hope for. It stayed with me after I read it and everyone in my book club loved it too! There are very few books that I read twice, but this one I most definitely will.
Linda Hailey
This was a really great book! I wasn't familiar with Giselle Steele's work but I came across a really good review on this novel so I decided to give it a shot. I am SO glad I did! I truly found it hard to put down! Definitely looking forward to more from this author!
Nicole Hamil
I judge a book by how "quick" the read is...that is how many days it takes to finish. My husband will attest, as he complained about the light being on all night, The Burning of Grey was a 1 day (night) read. The book was a page turner and I highly recommend it!
Kelly James
I really liked this book!! I pretty much couldn't put it down - I mean I read 170 pages in one sitting until I couldn't focus any more. It is intriguing, interesting, and a fun read!
David Harris
This book was a wow for me. It kept me interested from the start to the finish. Will definitely recommend this to my kindle buds.
Cherie Resnick
All in all, I really enjoyed this book. It had great characters! I will definitely be looking for some more books from this author!
Corinne Hasten
This book is a quality read! The story is so well written and entertaining that it is disappointing to see it come to its conclusion.
Erin Langston
This was one of those books that I just couldn't put down...I had to see what was going to happen next. A must read!
Christine
This was a great read. The storyline is creative and it reads like a movie, which also makes it a fun read!
  • Fatal Mistake
  • The Twenty (Barronlands Trilogy, #1)
  • How David Met Sarah
  • Hawthorne
  • Instruction Manual for Swallowing
  • The Teahouse by the Tracks
  • Gregory: and Other Stories
  • A Lost Argument
  • Too Much to Dream: A Psychedelic American Boyhood
  • Praise of Motherhood
  • Truth's Evil Light (Cheveyo Series, #1)
  • Ashford
  • Henrietta the Dragon Slayer (The Five Kingdoms, #1)
  • Gabriel's Gate
  • The Haunted Ebook
  • Ancient Revenge (Merryweather Lodge, #1)
  • Clear As Day (The River #2)
  • Mine To Avenge
Cold Blue Flame The Wayfarer's Stone, Tales of Twilight Dreams The Off-Limits Watermelon Patch Nicholas And The Magical Wind

“To say they had waited for months or even years to find each other again would not be accurate. Love runs on another time track. It can't be counted down and won't allow itself to be defined as terminable. For Reid and Lena, it could have been months, years or a lifetime because at that moment, it was as if no time had passed at all.” 4 likes