Start by marking “Voices Beckon” as Want to Read:
Voices Beckon

Voices Beckon

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  7 reviews
It is 1783 and David Graham, a Scot indentured for the next six years to a Philadelphia printer, is pacing the Bristol quay, anxiously awaiting the call to board the brig Industry. Brimming with confidence, his thoughts waver between the gut-wrenching knowledge he is leaving his family behind, and the anticipation of the boundless opportunity awaiting him in America.

As he
Nook, 0 pages
Published August 9th 2011 by Repository Press LLC

To ask other readers questions about Voices Beckon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Voices Beckon

Ok, I just finished this book. It's an enjoyable historical fiction /romance novel, set in the late 1780s. The characters are engaging and realistic, and I enjoyed how the author set it in Philadelphia right as the US is changing from the Articles of Confederation to the Constitution, etc. My only qualm with the backdrop is that it felt like more of an afterthought at times, as though the author thought it would be a neat setting but wasn't entirely sure how to effectively use it. When we were r ...more
Considering this was, I believe, a self-published debut for this author, it was good. I got the first part free for kindle and liked it enough to buy the rest of the book, unfortunately I felt it slowed down from there. This story follows the three main characters over a seven year period. I have yet to find a book I love that covers a long period of time like this because I often feel like I'm missing important things when the story continually jumps forward months and/or years. I have to const ...more
Contacted the author to find out when the next in the series would be out. Looking forward to it. This is what she said,

"I should be finishing the final draft of Voices Whisper this coming week. But I think it will be late March or early April by the time it gets edited and proofread. I added your name to my list, and I'll send you an email as soon as it's finished.

Julia Brumfield
Alright I am already having the blues and letdown from finishing this book today while I wish I could just jump into the second one. What will happen to Liam? How is David and Elisabeth going to be continued in their part of the story? And how will America be touched by this young generation of non-American immigrants? I can't imagine.

Starting on this book I was caught up in the spell of the writing from the first. The writing was detailed enough to drag you into the story, thrilling enough to
I received this book from the author for an honest review. This is a self published novel. I believe this full length novel began as a three part series in novella form.

In 1783, a voyage to Philadelphia begins for a group of young people, which begins a life time of friendship. David is indentured for six years to work for a printer. Elisabeth is traveling with her father for the chance at better opportunities in America. Together with their friend, Liam, they suffer through a long hard voyage.
I struggled to get started with this because of the different lanuage. Once I got used to it I did like the book. But there is one scene that should be skipped.
Sep 17, 2012 Therese marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Jane marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Dlr marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Carol K.
Carol K. marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
Bethany marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
GJ added it
Jul 24, 2015
Angelia marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Mary marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Barbara marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Terri Karsten
Terri Karsten marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Mary Poor
Mary Poor is currently reading it
Feb 15, 2015
Jennifer Crouse
Jennifer Crouse marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Deborah Gafford
Deborah Gafford marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Peggy added it
Feb 08, 2015
Alice marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
History and real-life narratives had always blended in Graham's imagination, particularly when she delved into the stories of her family's ancestors. Eventually the engaging voices of characters who might have lived emerged. Tracing paper trails quickly gave way to creating her own stories, and she hasn't looked back since.
More about Linda Lee Graham...