Start by marking “Voices Beckon” as Want to Read:
Voices Beckon

Voices Beckon

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  35 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
It is 1783 and David Graham, a Scot indentured for the next six years to a Philadelphia printer, is pacing the Bristol quay, anxiously awaiting the call to board the brig Industry. Brimming with confidence, his thoughts waver between the gut-wrenching knowledge he is leaving his family behind, and the anticipation of the boundless opportunity awaiting him in America.

As he
Nook, 0 pages
Published August 9th 2011 by Repository Press LLC

To ask other readers questions about Voices Beckon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Voices Beckon

Tdraut18
Oct 06, 2011 Tdraut18 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Ok, I just finished this book. It's an enjoyable historical fiction /romance novel, set in the late 1780s. The characters are engaging and realistic, and I enjoyed how the author set it in Philadelphia right as the US is changing from the Articles of Confederation to the Constitution, etc. My only qualm with the backdrop is that it felt like more of an afterthought at times, as though the author thought it would be a neat setting but wasn't entirely sure how to effectively use it. When we were r ...more
Emmy
Sep 20, 2012 Emmy rated it liked it
Considering this was, I believe, a self-published debut for this author, it was good. I got the first part free for kindle and liked it enough to buy the rest of the book, unfortunately I felt it slowed down from there. This story follows the three main characters over a seven year period. I have yet to find a book I love that covers a long period of time like this because I often feel like I'm missing important things when the story continually jumps forward months and/or years. I have to const ...more
Sherron
Jan 06, 2012 Sherron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: colonial
Contacted the author to find out when the next in the series would be out. Looking forward to it. This is what she said,

"I should be finishing the final draft of Voices Whisper this coming week. But I think it will be late March or early April by the time it gets edited and proofread. I added your name to my list, and I'll send you an email as soon as it's finished.

Best,

Linda"
Julia Brumfield
Aug 26, 2015 Julia Brumfield rated it it was amazing
Alright I am already having the blues and letdown from finishing this book today while I wish I could just jump into the second one. What will happen to Liam? How is David and Elisabeth going to be continued in their part of the story? And how will America be touched by this young generation of non-American immigrants? I can't imagine.

Starting on this book I was caught up in the spell of the writing from the first. The writing was detailed enough to drag you into the story, thrilling enough to
Julie
Jul 25, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it
I received this book from the author for an honest review. This is a self published novel. I believe this full length novel began as a three part series in novella form.

In 1783, a voyage to Philadelphia begins for a group of young people, which begins a life time of friendship. David is indentured for six years to work for a printer. Elisabeth is traveling with her father for the chance at better opportunities in America. Together with their friend, Liam, they suffer through a long hard voyage.
Kelly
Mar 04, 2015 Kelly rated it really liked it
I struggled to get started with this because of the different lanuage. Once I got used to it I did like the book. But there is one scene that should be skipped.
Therese
Sep 17, 2012 Therese marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
$0.0
Izz
Izz marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Macpudel
Macpudel marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Julia
Julia rated it liked it
May 20, 2016
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Alice Yoder
Alice Yoder marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
16backeop
16backeop marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Zee
Zee marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Dee
Dee marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Jo Notary
Jo Notary marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Stephanie Clarke
Stephanie Clarke marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Rose Garrison
Rose Garrison marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Karan Shilling
Karan Shilling marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Sharon Kurtz
Sharon Kurtz marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Ellen
Ellen marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Jessa
Jessa marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Dlr
Dlr marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2015
Carol K.
Carol K. marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
GJ
GJ added it
Mar 18, 2016
Jenn
Jenn rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2015
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
History and real-life narratives had always blended in Graham's imagination, particularly when she delved into the stories of her family's ancestors. Eventually the engaging voices of characters who might have lived emerged. Tracing paper trails quickly gave way to creating her own stories, and she hasn't looked back since.
More about Linda Lee Graham...