I Don't Want to Be a Pea! (Hugo and Bella)

I Don't Want to Be a Pea! (Hugo and Bella)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  252 ratings  ·  58 reviews
If Hugo Hippo and Bella Bird are going to make it to their costume party, they simply must learn to agree! A bright and cheerful picture book about friendship and compromise.Hugo Hippo has a best bird. Bella Bird has a best hippo. They make a perfect pair, and they are going to the Fairy Tale Dress-Up party together, of course: Hugo will be the princess, and Bella will be...more
Hardcover, First U.S. Edition, 32 pages
Published January 3rd 2012 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published July 1st 2011)

Oh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. SeussMadeline by Ludwig BemelmansThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussIsh by Peter H. Reynolds
After School Club Books
72nd out of 97 books — 7 voters
Bad Apple by Edward HemingwayBear and Bee by Sergio RuzzierSay Hello to Zorro! by Carter GoodrichLeonardo, the Terrible Monster by Mo WillemsBoy and Bot by Ame Dyckman
Friendship Storytime
26th out of 30 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

karen

awww, because why wouldn't the hippo and the little bird living on his head be best friends and go to parties together and get into fights about what costumes to wear? it makes me happy to think of it occurring out there in nature.

because bella (the bird, not the teenage necrophiliac) does not want to be the pea to hugo's princess. and who can blame her? a pea is a totally boring costume. it is a round green ball. it could be mistaken for a boog. and no one wants to go to the "bird-hippo fairy-...more
Melissa
I literally said, "Aw!" at the sweet happy ending...two peas in a pod. :) There's also a subtle change of perspective by the end of the book; at the beginning, they introduce each other as "Bella is my bird" and "Hugo is my hippo," but at the end, at the party, they say, "I am Bella's hippo," and "I am Hugo's bird."

Love how all their costume ideas play off their differences in size. I also like the "crisis" page, where instead of showing them angry, the agitation is implied in the orangey footp...more
Skoobdoog
Hugo is Bella’s hippo and Bella is Hugo’s bird, and they are going to the Fairytale Dress Party. However, they cannot agree on what to dress like. Hippo wants to be the princess, but Bella doesn’t want to be a pea. She wants to be a mermaid and Hugo can be her rock, but Hugo doesn’t want to be a rock. They fight, but eventually agree to be two peas in a pod. The illustrations are in mixed media with the characters having babyish proportions. Both characters are in almost every page, except in th...more
Tam
s e n t i m e n t a l i t i e s olittlebear
Just a touch girly coming back to the Princess costume every time, but I loved the other ideas. Especially the pumpkin. Great fun with a nice moral that friendship is worth compromising for.
Rachel
I'm not sure if this was the intention, but the first thing I thought about this book when I read it is that it reminds me a lot of Elephant and Piggie books, except wordier. Hugo the Hippo and Bella the bird are going to attend the Hippo-Bird Fairy-Tale Fancy Dress Party and can't decide what costume to wear. Originally they were going as the Princess and Pea, but Bella decided she didn't want to be the Pea and then a huge argument broke out and they leave mad. But then both decide it is not wo...more
Tanu Shree
Walida
This picture book is a sweet & silly story of best friends (hippo and his bird... Or is it a bird and his hippo ☺). The book is a excellent example of friendship and compromise. I enjoyed how all their costume ideas play off their differences in size. I also like the "crisis" page, where instead of showing them angry, the agitation is implied in the orangey footprints all over the pages.

Maria
Hugo Hippo and Bella bird are trying to decide on a costume for the Fairy-Tale Fancy Dress Party. They cannot agree, while Hugo wants to be a princess, Bella does not want to be a pea, and so on until they are so mad at each other they decide not to go to the party together. In the end, friendship wins out and they both go to the party.

I don't always love digital illustrations, but they worked very well for Hugo and Bella's story. I can see this being a great book for a story time.
Lisa Fabiano
A charming story about the give and take of friendship. Hugo Hippo and Bella Bird are going to the Hippo-Bird (or is it Bird-Hippo) Fairy-Tale Fancy Dress Party together but they can't decide who will be the princess and who will be the pea or who will be the mermaid and who will be the rock or...they just can't agree. The humorous back and forth will induce giggles and the colorful illustrations will delight young readers.
Heather
I feel like this picture book of best friends (Hugo Hippo and Bella Bird) is trying to be a little too much like Elephant & Piggie. But that's OK because this is still a sweet & silly story of friendship and compromise as the duo decide what costumes to wear to the Hippo-Bird Fancy Dress Party. This is a perfect story-time read-aloud for 1 person who can do 2 voices well, or for 2 readers to read co-operatively.
S.K.
I read this to my twin 5-year olds and no one got it. What was hippo supposed to be at the end? We flipped back through the book again looking for clues, but found none. Confusing.

Also, not fun to read aloud. Would have been nice to have added some dialogue tags...like "hippo said" or "said Bella" to identify to the listener who was speaking.
Leslie
A cute friendship story.
Brandy
A cute and funny story of a hippo and a bird who are going to a party. Neither can decide on a couple costume and decide to go their seperate ways. A happy ending for all when these friends realize that their friendship & compramise is more imporatant than staying mad at each other.
Library Quine

A quirky tale about 2 friends who cannot decide what will they wear for a fancy dress party. Despite their disagreement friendship wins out. May be a little difficult for younger children to follow and understand, but a fun read with simple yet amusing pictures.
Paula
Two friends, Hugo a hippo, and Bella, a bird, are invited to a fancy party. They end up fighting about what to wear to the party, but eventually are able to work out their differences. How they work out the conflict is both colorful and creative. A unique book!
Sandi
A very cute picture book with great read-aloud potential. For those who like books about friendship, hippos, birds or peas, this book where Hippo and Birdie are trying to find the perfect costumes for their party is sure to please! :)
Shelli
Super cute simple story of a hippo and his bird... Or is it a bird and his hippo?. This symbiotic couple does not always agree and might miss out on good times unless they can patch things up in time for the big party.
Elisabeth
British version of Elephant and Piggie maybe? A couple of good laughs but did not have the "perfect ending" that Willems is a master of. Still enjoyable and would work for a friendship, green things or party storytime.
sweet pea
despite it's inflammatory title, the characters come to the logical conclusion that - obviously - they want to be a pea. cute. hippos. costumes. cross dressing. parties. and, most importantly, sweet peas
Janell
I love, love, love this book. I will recommend it for the Beehive award next time.
so very cute and clever.
for my Pea storytime.
Or friendship
Or Halloween (costumes)
Or Hippos or Birds
Janna
Cute friendship story. I love all the different dress-up ideas the hippo and bird have together. Would be great for a storytime about friendship, animals, or even Halloween because of the costumes.
Joenna
Hugo Hippo and Bella Bird are best friends, but a disagreement over costumes may prevent the two from attending the annual "Fairytale Fancy Dress Party."

Too cute! Great preschool storytime read.
Stefani
I enjoyed this story until the last page; the ending just fell flat. A nice story about friendship and compromise, but I felt the ending could have been better (more moral, better joke, something!).
TwoDrinks
The moral of the tale is that sometimes we do things we don't really want to do because we love our friends and they want to do it. A really lively tale about a fancy dress party.
Julia March
So cute! My only complaint is why does Hugo (who I'm assuming is a boy because of the name) want to dress up as a princess. But, it's still so adorable it's easy to overlook.
Scottsdale Public Library
Party planning compromises make a 'peas full' resolution.
-or-
Party planning compromises bring a happy ending.
(Whichever you'd like better.)

~Monty K.
Iamaby En
-I read the French version...not sure if the translation was done all that well, but I think the pictures really carry this story
-very cute and funny
carissa
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
Friendship is always full of compromise, and this book shows us that in a hilarious way. Plus, the hippo and bird are too, too, too adorable!
Ashland 566 Autum...: Picture Book 17 1 1 Nov 14, 2012 09:39AM
  • The Easter Bunny's Assistant
  • Squish Rabbit
  • When Blue Met Egg
  • Zorro Gets an Outfit
  • What To Do If An Elephant Stands On Your Foot
  • Ernest, the Moose Who Doesn't Fit
  • Too Tall Houses
  • Huff & Puff: Can You Blow Down the Houses of the Three Little Pigs?
  • Say What?
  • Olive and the Big Secret
  • Zoe Gets Ready
  • Lovabye Dragon
  • Apple Pie ABC
The Frazzle Family Finds a Way Bug  and Bear Naughty Toes I Am Not a Copycat! Pocket's Christmas Wish