Start by marking “I Don't Want to Be a Pea! (Hugo and Bella)” as Want to Read:
I Don't Want to Be a Pea! (Hugo and Bella)

I Don't Want to Be a Pea! (Hugo and Bella)

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  362 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
If Hugo Hippo and Bella Bird are going to make it to their costume party, they simply must learn to agree! A bright and cheerful picture book about friendship and compromise.Hugo Hippo has a best bird. Bella Bird has a best hippo. They make a perfect pair, and they are going to the Fairy Tale Dress-Up party together, of course: Hugo will be the princess, and Bella will be ...more
Hardcover, First U.S. Edition, 32 pages
Published January 3rd 2012 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published July 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about I Don't Want to Be a Pea!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Don't Want to Be a Pea!

Oh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. SeussMadeline by Ludwig BemelmansThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussExtra Yarn by Mac BarnettGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss
After School Club Books
72nd out of 97 books — 7 voters
Bad Apple by Edward HemingwayYou Will Be My Friend! by Peter  BrownBear and Bee by Sergio RuzzierBoy + Bot by Ame DyckmanFrog and Toad Are Friends by Arnold Lobel
Friendship Storytime
35th out of 38 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

karen
May 15, 2015 karen rated it it was amazing

awww, because why wouldn't the hippo and the little bird living on his head be best friends and go to parties together and get into fights about what costumes to wear? it makes me happy to think of it occurring out there in nature.

because bella (the bird, not the teenage necrophiliac) does not want to be the pea to hugo's princess. and who can blame her? a pea is a totally boring costume. it is a round green ball. it could be mistaken for a boog. and no one wants to go to the "bird-hippo fairy-
Crissy
Mar 16, 2016 Crissy rated it really liked it
4 's because I love the compromise in the end. ...more
Melissa
I literally said, "Aw!" at the sweet happy ending...two peas in a pod. :) There's also a subtle change of perspective by the end of the book; at the beginning, they introduce each other as "Bella is my bird" and "Hugo is my hippo," but at the end, at the party, they say, "I am Bella's hippo," and "I am Hugo's bird."

Love how all their costume ideas play off their differences in size. I also like the "crisis" page, where instead of showing them angry, the agitation is implied in the orangey footp
Skoobdoog
Aug 14, 2012 Skoobdoog rated it it was amazing
Hugo is Bella’s hippo and Bella is Hugo’s bird, and they are going to the Fairytale Dress Party. However, they cannot agree on what to dress like. Hippo wants to be the princess, but Bella doesn’t want to be a pea. She wants to be a mermaid and Hugo can be her rock, but Hugo doesn’t want to be a rock. They fight, but eventually agree to be two peas in a pod. The illustrations are in mixed media with the characters having babyish proportions. Both characters are in almost every page, except in th ...more
Tam
Jun 02, 2012 Tam rated it liked it
Shelves:
Katie
May 02, 2016 Katie rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, storytime
A cute story about a bird an a hippo, both with strong opinions they are not afraid to voice. They have an argument over their costume for the party, but it all works out in the end. The narrative is dialog between the two characters, and It think it would be wonderful read or acted out between two people.
Silence
Audience: Preschool / Grade School
Illustrations: Bright and cheery
Plot / Review: Friends don't always get along, but they do try to make it right in the end! This is a great pick for teaching compromise.
Read Aloud: Yes
s e n t i m e n t a l i t i e s olittlebear
Just a touch girly coming back to the Princess costume every time, but I loved the other ideas. Especially the pumpkin. Great fun with a nice moral that friendship is worth compromising for.
Beth
Jun 05, 2015 Beth rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A sweet book about friendship starring an adorable hippo and bird. The story teaches young readers to value relationships over our own impulses and desires — I really enjoyed this book!
Rachel
I'm not sure if this was the intention, but the first thing I thought about this book when I read it is that it reminds me a lot of Elephant and Piggie books, except wordier. Hugo the Hippo and Bella the bird are going to attend the Hippo-Bird Fairy-Tale Fancy Dress Party and can't decide what costume to wear. Originally they were going as the Princess and Pea, but Bella decided she didn't want to be the Pea and then a huge argument broke out and they leave mad. But then both decide it is not wo ...more
Ms Threlkeld
Dec 02, 2015 Ms Threlkeld rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Very cute and humorous story about a disagreement between best friends and how they end up resolving it. Could spark some great discussions about friendship and problem solving.
Tanu Shree
Oct 14, 2013 Tanu Shree rated it it was amazing
Walida
This picture book is a sweet & silly story of best friends (hippo and his bird... Or is it a bird and his hippo ). The book is a excellent example of friendship and compromise. I enjoyed how all their costume ideas play off their differences in size. I also like the "crisis" page, where instead of showing them angry, the agitation is implied in the orangey footprints all over the pages.

The moral of the tale is that sometimes we do things we don't really want to do because we love our friend
Jessica
Jan 24, 2016 Jessica rated it really liked it
I thought this was a great friendship book.
Elizabeth Beverley
Nov 16, 2014 Elizabeth Beverley rated it really liked it
Fun, friendship tale that reads aloud well.
Meredith
Oct 18, 2015 Meredith rated it liked it
Cute.
Maria
Jan 04, 2012 Maria rated it really liked it
Hugo Hippo and Bella bird are trying to decide on a costume for the Fairy-Tale Fancy Dress Party. They cannot agree, while Hugo wants to be a princess, Bella does not want to be a pea, and so on until they are so mad at each other they decide not to go to the party together. In the end, friendship wins out and they both go to the party.

I don't always love digital illustrations, but they worked very well for Hugo and Bella's story. I can see this being a great book for a story time.
Lisa Fabiano
Jan 04, 2012 Lisa Fabiano rated it liked it
A charming story about the give and take of friendship. Hugo Hippo and Bella Bird are going to the Hippo-Bird (or is it Bird-Hippo) Fairy-Tale Fancy Dress Party together but they can't decide who will be the princess and who will be the pea or who will be the mermaid and who will be the rock or...they just can't agree. The humorous back and forth will induce giggles and the colorful illustrations will delight young readers.
Heather
Jan 20, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
I feel like this picture book of best friends (Hugo Hippo and Bella Bird) is trying to be a little too much like Elephant & Piggie. But that's OK because this is still a sweet & silly story of friendship and compromise as the duo decide what costumes to wear to the Hippo-Bird Fancy Dress Party. This is a perfect story-time read-aloud for 1 person who can do 2 voices well, or for 2 readers to read co-operatively.
Leslie
Jan 18, 2014 Leslie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
A cute friendship story.
Susan
Sep 20, 2015 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, storybook
2.5 stars. The book is sort of cute but the two 'friends' are sometimes mean to each other which is unsettling in a story of this kind.
Brandy
Aug 29, 2011 Brandy rated it really liked it
A cute and funny story of a hippo and a bird who are going to a party. Neither can decide on a couple costume and decide to go their seperate ways. A happy ending for all when these friends realize that their friendship & compramise is more imporatant than staying mad at each other.
Library Quine

A quirky tale about 2 friends who cannot decide what will they wear for a fancy dress party. Despite their disagreement friendship wins out. May be a little difficult for younger children to follow and understand, but a fun read with simple yet amusing pictures.
Paula
May 28, 2013 Paula rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
Two friends, Hugo a hippo, and Bella, a bird, are invited to a fancy party. They end up fighting about what to wear to the party, but eventually are able to work out their differences. How they work out the conflict is both colorful and creative. A unique book!
Sandi
Jan 07, 2012 Sandi rated it really liked it
A very cute picture book with great read-aloud potential. For those who like books about friendship, hippos, birds or peas, this book where Hippo and Birdie are trying to find the perfect costumes for their party is sure to please! :)
Shelli
Feb 20, 2012 Shelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Super cute simple story of a hippo and his bird... Or is it a bird and his hippo?. This symbiotic couple does not always agree and might miss out on good times unless they can patch things up in time for the big party.
Elisabeth
Jan 20, 2012 Elisabeth rated it liked it
British version of Elephant and Piggie maybe? A couple of good laughs but did not have the "perfect ending" that Willems is a master of. Still enjoyable and would work for a friendship, green things or party storytime.
sweet pea
Apr 28, 2012 sweet pea rated it really liked it
Shelves: les-enfants
despite it's inflammatory title, the characters come to the logical conclusion that - obviously - they want to be a pea. cute. hippos. costumes. cross dressing. parties. and, most importantly, sweet peas
Janell
Mar 10, 2012 Janell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: beehive, storytime
I love, love, love this book. I will recommend it for the Beehive award next time.
so very cute and clever.
for my Pea storytime.
Or friendship
Or Halloween (costumes)
Or Hippos or Birds
Janna
Cute friendship story. I love all the different dress-up ideas the hippo and bird have together. Would be great for a storytime about friendship, animals, or even Halloween because of the costumes.
Ashland 566 Autum...: Picture Book 17 1 1 Nov 14, 2012 09:39AM
  • Silly Doggy!
  • Hugs from Pearl
  • Huff & Puff
  • Oh! What a Surprise!
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • Lovabye Dragon