Start by marking “Regarding the Bees: A Lesson, in Letters, on Honey, Dating, and Other Sticky Subjects” as Want to Read:

Regarding the Bees: A Lesson, in Letters, on Honey, Dating, and Other Sticky Subjects (Regarding the...)

The seventh graders at Geyser Creek Middle School are beeyond stressed. They're preparing for a spelling bee and a horrible standardized test called the BEE (Basic Education Evaluation). Plus, this year the hunt for their honeys has become all-important. It's a good thing they have Honey, a bee that spells (yes, really!), as their class pet—and one fabulous teacher named F ...more
Published August 1st 2007 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Regarding the Bees, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Regarding the Bees

Matthew Winner
Jan 11, 2009 Matthew Winner rated it it was ok
NO for black-eyed susan.
NO for our library.

I loved the concept of telling a story through letters, but this one just didn't do the trick. They were too many things I just couldn't buy into...

...a handful of students corresponding regularly to their substitute via letters
...a teacher who couldn't catch on the "BEEs" are a state assessment the school is preparing for
...a couple of middle schoolers so caught up in their feelings for one another that they would write to a teacher they don't know f
Amanda
Jun 06, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it
What's the buzz at Geyser Creek Middle School? One word l-o-v-e. The seventh graders are all searching for their sweeties, which makes it tough to concentrate on the upcoming BEE ( basic education evaluation ) But if the students fail this important standardized test, they'll have to-horrors!-start middle school all over again. Too unbelievable to be true? Oh honey, just wait until you read the rest of the story!
Panda Pal
Feb 22, 2017 Panda Pal rated it really liked it
I loved this book
Katie Fitzgerald
Wally Russ is away from school for the semester, and Sam N. has been asked to fill in as acting principal, leaving a vacancy in the sixth grade classroom. Everyone is excited by the idea of inviting Florence Waters to take Sam’s place, but Florence will only agree to teach the students in a correspondence class. Though the kids are thrilled to work with their friend, they are also nervous about the upcoming BEE, or Basic Education Evaluation, exams, as well as the spelling bee in which another l ...more
Emeebee
A sweet book full of puns, bees, and the importance of communication and community. And for all the various fonts and speakers the narrative flowed smoothly.
Hannah Givens
Nov 16, 2015 Hannah Givens rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
I still enjoy the over-the-top style, and I still love Florence and her approach to life! Her clever ways of encouraging the students to organically learn about their own problems and learn how to solve them. I liked the casual way it approached healthy middle-school dating, too. How kids may want to date or they may not, and how to communicate. That said, I didn't like the plot choices and resolutions here. The stereotypical husband-and-wife behavior was slightly irritating to begin with, but I ...more
Samantha
Feb 12, 2013 Samantha rated it really liked it
The 7th graders are preparing for their BEEs (Basic Education Evaluations). Their substitute via correspondence is the fabulous fountain designer Florence Waters and she mistakes the BEEs for bees (the winged kind) and assigns the class all sorts of assignments that relate to the insects. If the class doesn't do well on the test they risk being sent back to 5th grade, but Florence's unconventional assignments prepare the kids for the test in ways no one could have predicted.

Meanwhile, the subst
Lacey
Jan 20, 2010 Lacey rated it it was amazing
Ok... so this book is about seventh graders at Geyser Creek Middle School and they have a spelling bee. If they dont win the spelling bee they will have to go back to the fifth grade. Thier substitute Mrs.Florence lives in California and is teaching the students by letters. She sends the kids a bee named Honey and she can spell her name "H-O-N-E-Y" in the air. But you will have to read the book to see if they win the spelling bee or not.

I loved this book so much. I love to read books by: Kate Kl
Sheryl
Oct 19, 2014 Sheryl rated it really liked it
Sadly, this concludes my journey with the "Regarding the..." series. I was putting reading this as I wanted the magic to last longer but since I was in dire need for a quick easy read, I just had to! Discovering this through the sale bins was indeed a nice surprise. I love the letter correspondence, the personalized typography defining each character and illustrations. Though the story plot may at times be a bit far fetched, it's forgivable because of the lovely bizarre characters and it comes o ...more
Roxann
May 12, 2011 Roxann rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
This is the only book in the series from this author that I have read. What a fun book! I was laughing at different parts throughout the book. The whole book is written in letter form. I enjoyed all the use of the word bee or be. The story takes place in a 7th grade classroom. The students are getting ready for the BEEs (a state test), but they have a sub teacher who lives in a different state. Thus the use of the letters. The sub appears to think the students are writing about real bees and not ...more
Sierra
Dec 30, 2015 Sierra rated it it was amazing
A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. That's how Honey the honey bee would and I would describe this book. In the fifth book of the regarding series, the seventh graders have to get prepared for the dreaded BEEs (Basic Education Evaluation). Luckily, they have the designer, Florence Waters, as their new teacher, and a honey bee named Honey that can spell (do you now get why I did that at the top???). Out of all of these characters, Florence Waters has to be my favorite. She has sooo many cool ideas, and she is sooo ni ...more
Kris
Nov 30, 2007 Kris rated it liked it
This is about book 6 in a very fun series for kids, especially girls. Graphic novelish in format, these are told in letters with heavy illustrations, lots of points of view, and, constant misunderstanding and miscommunication. The series, which starts with a group of fifth graders in a middle school, has held up well as these kids are now seventh graders. I liked this book, it was not my favorit in the series, but please do start with the first one, which is Regarding the Fountain.
Susan
Dec 15, 2008 Susan rated it really liked it
Geyser Creek seventh graders are going through a who-likes-who stage, and with only two boys and four girls in the class, emotions are getting intense. Their regular teacher, Sam N., is acting principal, and having trouble communicating with his new wife, who is also the school secretary. Fortunately, the substitute teacher (by mail) is none other than Florence Waters, fountain designer, detective, and friend to all. Another delightful book in this series.
Luke
Sep 30, 2007 Luke rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of previous "Regarding the..." series, or anyone who is looking for a good book
Shelves: favoritebooks
Loved this one! :) I've been a big fan of the "Regarding the..." series since I found "Regarding the Trees" in the library two years ago. Comparing this one to the others: probably the best one, either close first or tied with "Regarding the Bathrooms: A Privy to the Past". Downright amazing, definitely put this one on your list!
NewFranklin School
Regarding the bees is a very good book so far.
The main character Florence waters is substituting Mr.Sam n.'s 7th grade class from California and her class is doing a spelling bee against another class in Springfield, the class in springfeild thinks there better than everyone!
if you want to find out what happens read the book!
Kellie
Jul 22, 2013 Kellie rated it it was ok
A book I came across at work and it looked like it would be a fun read. Meh. More like an annoying read. The characters were fine, but the constant bee puns were aggravating. I had a hard time reading some of the text of the letters, due to hard-to-read fonts. There were a couple of places I did laugh out loud, so this one gets two stars.
The Styling Librarian
Oh how I love this series, every name, illustration, character- treasure the opportunity to read another one. Highly recommend to all my students and love how many take me up on reading them. Especially the fans of 43 Old Cemetary Road. Talented author/illustrator sister team!
Amy
Jul 19, 2012 Amy rated it it was ok
I had read K. Klise's 43 Old Cemetery Road Books with my son prior to this book and was hoping this was more similar to those. Maybe it was the story line, maybe it was the characters, but both myself and my son thought this book lacked something.
Karin
Sep 09, 2007 Karin rated it liked it
Shelves: middlegrade, funny
another in sequence that started with regarding the fountain. still same class of kids (now in 7th grade). this time sam n. is principal and flo waters is subbing (thru correspondence). fun but just more of the same.
Madison
Mar 23, 2010 Madison rated it liked it
This book is basically like letters and news paper articles.
The kids at the school have a teacher but this teacher is not seen and isn't even in the same state.She is teaching them over corresponding letters. She is also preparing them for the BEES.
Angela
Jan 27, 2008 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidsbooks
I love this series told through memos, newspaper articles, letters, receipts, and drawings! This one had a special meaning for me since I just finished teaching a quarter-long elective about honeybees. I feel sure there will be more in the series!
Danie P.
Apr 19, 2010 Danie P. rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This was a cute book about a seventh grade test preparing for an upcoming state examination called the bees. The story is told through different letters sent back and forth between the principal, their "arch nemisis" class, and their correspondence teacher. This particular book had a bee theme.
Mary
Oct 20, 2008 Mary rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 6th Graders
This book is good but could use a tiny bit of more explaining!
Shannon
Feb 06, 2014 Shannon rated it liked it
I have really enjoyed this whole series. I'm sad to see it end.
Kylie
May 14, 2015 Kylie rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2015
Definitely good but my least favorite regarding the... Book.
Nati
Mar 23, 2009 Nati rated it really liked it
alll about bees!!
Brett
Nov 20, 2009 Brett rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile-silly
Quirky & fun like the rest of the series. Hope they write more!
Bethany
Nov 16, 2014 Bethany rated it really liked it
Such a great series. I can't wait for my kids to be old enough to read it (probably 4th grade).
Ella
Feb 06, 2009 Ella rated it it was amazing
This is a good book
Carol Krueger
Feb 28, 2016 Carol Krueger rated it liked it
A good ending to the series.
Release Date 1 3 Jul 31, 2007 03:39PM
  • The Boy Who Howled
  • Bluish
  • Maggie Bean in Love (Maggie Bean, #3)
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 3: Superheroes (Amelia Rules! #3)
  • Attack of the Growling Eyeballs
  • So Totally Emily Ebers
  • A Friend Called Anne
  • Olivia Kidney and the Secret Beneath the City
  • Artsy-Fartsy
  • You Are What You Eat: and Other Mealtime Hazards
  • 12 Again
  • Thrice Upon a Marigold (Upon a Marigold, #3)
  • The Broken Bike Boy and the Queen of 33rd Street
  • Oh Rats! The Story of Rats and People
  • The Headless Horseman Rides Tonight: More Poems to Trouble Your Sleep
  • Iron Thunder: The Battle Between the Monitor & the Merrimac
  • The Extraordinary Adventures Of Ordinary Basil
  • Up and Down the Scratchy Mountains
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads data base.

Catherine "Kate" Klise is an American author of children's literature. Many of her books are illustrated by her sister, M. Sarah Klise. Their popular Regarding series is presented in a scrapbook style format, with letters, journal entries, and related ephemera telling the story. She is also known for her picture
More about Kate Klise...

Regarding the... (5 books)
  • Regarding the Fountain: A Tale, in Letters, of Liars and Leaks
  • Regarding the Sink: Where, Oh Where, Did Waters Go?
  • Regarding the Trees: A Splintered Saga Rooted in Secrets