Start by marking “Regarding the Bees: A Lesson, in Letters, on Honey, Dating, and Other Sticky Subjects” as Want to Read:

Regarding the Bees: A Lesson, in Letters, on Honey, Dating, and Other Sticky Subjects (Regarding the...)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  448 ratings  ·  47 reviews
The seventh graders at Geyser Creek Middle School are beeyond stressed. They'repreparing for a spelling beeand a horrible standardized test calledthe BEE (Basic Education Evaluation). Plus, this year the hunt for their honeys has become all-important. It's a good thing they have Honey, a bee that spells (yes, really!), as their class pet--and onefabulous teacher named Flor ...more
Published August 1st 2007 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Regarding the Bees, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Regarding the Bees

Matthew Winner
NO for black-eyed susan.
NO for our library.

I loved the concept of telling a story through letters, but this one just didn't do the trick. They were too many things I just couldn't buy into...

...a handful of students corresponding regularly to their substitute via letters
...a teacher who couldn't catch on the "BEEs" are a state assessment the school is preparing for
...a couple of middle schoolers so caught up in their feelings for one another that they would write to a teacher they don't know f
Amanda
What's the buzz at Geyser Creek Middle School? One word l-o-v-e. The seventh graders are all searching for their sweeties, which makes it tough to concentrate on the upcoming BEE ( basic education evaluation ) But if the students fail this important standardized test, they'll have to-horrors!-start middle school all over again. Too unbelievable to be true? Oh honey, just wait until you read the rest of the story!
Samantha
The 7th graders are preparing for their BEEs (Basic Education Evaluations). Their substitute via correspondence is the fabulous fountain designer Florence Waters and she mistakes the BEEs for bees (the winged kind) and assigns the class all sorts of assignments that relate to the insects. If the class doesn't do well on the test they risk being sent back to 5th grade, but Florence's unconventional assignments prepare the kids for the test in ways no one could have predicted.

Meanwhile, the subst
Lacey
Ok... so this book is about seventh graders at Geyser Creek Middle School and they have a spelling bee. If they dont win the spelling bee they will have to go back to the fifth grade. Thier substitute Mrs.Florence lives in California and is teaching the students by letters. She sends the kids a bee named Honey and she can spell her name "H-O-N-E-Y" in the air. But you will have to read the book to see if they win the spelling bee or not.

I loved this book so much. I love to read books by: Kate Kl
Bethany
Such a great series. I can't wait for my kids to be old enough to read it (probably 4th grade).
Roxann
This is the only book in the series from this author that I have read. What a fun book! I was laughing at different parts throughout the book. The whole book is written in letter form. I enjoyed all the use of the word bee or be. The story takes place in a 7th grade classroom. The students are getting ready for the BEEs (a state test), but they have a sub teacher who lives in a different state. Thus the use of the letters. The sub appears to think the students are writing about real bees and not ...more
Kylie
May 14, 2015 Kylie added it
Shelves: read-2015
Definitely good but my least favorite regarding the... Book.
Kathryn
I really enjoyed it but I think it could have been a tad bit longer.
Shannon
I have really enjoyed this whole series. I'm sad to see it end.
Anna
Jun 04, 2014 Anna added it
Shelves: have-read
This book is really good!!! :)
Kris
This is about book 6 in a very fun series for kids, especially girls. Graphic novelish in format, these are told in letters with heavy illustrations, lots of points of view, and, constant misunderstanding and miscommunication. The series, which starts with a group of fifth graders in a middle school, has held up well as these kids are now seventh graders. I liked this book, it was not my favorit in the series, but please do start with the first one, which is Regarding the Fountain.
Susan
Geyser Creek seventh graders are going through a who-likes-who stage, and with only two boys and four girls in the class, emotions are getting intense. Their regular teacher, Sam N., is acting principal, and having trouble communicating with his new wife, who is also the school secretary. Fortunately, the substitute teacher (by mail) is none other than Florence Waters, fountain designer, detective, and friend to all. Another delightful book in this series.
Kellie
A book I came across at work and it looked like it would be a fun read. Meh. More like an annoying read. The characters were fine, but the constant bee puns were aggravating. I had a hard time reading some of the text of the letters, due to hard-to-read fonts. There were a couple of places I did laugh out loud, so this one gets two stars.
NewFranklin School
Regarding the bees is a very good book so far.
The main character Florence waters is substituting Mr.Sam n.'s 7th grade class from California and her class is doing a spelling bee against another class in Springfield, the class in springfeild thinks there better than everyone!
if you want to find out what happens read the book!
Luke
Sep 30, 2007 Luke rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of previous "Regarding the..." series, or anyone who is looking for a good book
Shelves: favoritebooks
Loved this one! :) I've been a big fan of the "Regarding the..." series since I found "Regarding the Trees" in the library two years ago. Comparing this one to the others: probably the best one, either close first or tied with "Regarding the Bathrooms: A Privy to the Past". Downright amazing, definitely put this one on your list!
Danie P.
This was a cute book about a seventh grade test preparing for an upcoming state examination called the bees. The story is told through different letters sent back and forth between the principal, their "arch nemisis" class, and their correspondence teacher. This particular book had a bee theme.
The Styling Librarian
Oh how I love this series, every name, illustration, character- treasure the opportunity to read another one. Highly recommend to all my students and love how many take me up on reading them. Especially the fans of 43 Old Cemetary Road. Talented author/illustrator sister team!
Madison
This book is basically like letters and news paper articles.
The kids at the school have a teacher but this teacher is not seen and isn't even in the same state.She is teaching them over corresponding letters. She is also preparing them for the BEES.
Amy
I had read K. Klise's 43 Old Cemetery Road Books with my son prior to this book and was hoping this was more similar to those. Maybe it was the story line, maybe it was the characters, but both myself and my son thought this book lacked something.
Angela
I love this series told through memos, newspaper articles, letters, receipts, and drawings! This one had a special meaning for me since I just finished teaching a quarter-long elective about honeybees. I feel sure there will be more in the series!
Karin
another in sequence that started with regarding the fountain. still same class of kids (now in 7th grade). this time sam n. is principal and flo waters is subbing (thru correspondence). fun but just more of the same.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This setting is getting a bit old. The plot was tranparent and predictable, and I'm getting tired of the characters. The only thing that saved this book for me was all the plays on the word "bee".
Lost_Clown
Aug 19, 2007 Lost_Clown rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: childrensbooks
I love this whole series of books told through written pieces of mail, memos, etc. I love these books, and they're good for everyone to read.
Hannah  Montana
When I figured out this book had come out, I was SO excited!!! This series is so fun and I reccomend it to everyone.
Hadley
3 and a half stars.

It was a bit hard to understand everything but it got easier to understand farther along.
Kendra
Great young adult book, quick read. I think elementary school kids would really enjoy this.
Lanetta
I just love this book, it is so much fun and light hearted. Clean with fun facts.
Sara
Sure, none of this book is believable, but it's good fun and imaginative.
Cjvswimming
I like all the books by Kate Klise, they're all so funny and well written.
Release Date 1 3 Jul 31, 2007 06:39AM
  • Bluish
  • Maggie Bean in Love (Maggie Bean, #3)
  • The Boy Who Howled
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 3: Superheroes (Amelia Rules! #3)
  • Attack of the Growling Eyeballs
  • Artsy-Fartsy
  • Oh Rats! The Story of Rats and People
  • The Broken Bike Boy and the Queen of 33rd Street
  • Seven Stories Up
  • The Demon in the Teahouse (Samurai Detective, #2)
  • 12 Again
  • Graceful
  • Olivia Kidney and the Secret Beneath the City
  • Here There Be Dragons
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads data base.

Catherine "Kate" Klise is an American author of children's literature. Many of her books are illustrated by her sister, M. Sarah Klise. Their popular Regarding series is presented in a scrapbook style format, with letters, journal entries, and related ephemera telling the story. She is also known for her picture
More about Kate Klise...

Regarding the... (5 books)
  • Regarding the Fountain: A Tale, in Letters, of Liars and Leaks
  • Regarding the Sink: Where, Oh Where, Did Waters Go?
  • Regarding the Trees: A Splintered Saga Rooted in Secrets
  • Regarding the Bathrooms: A Privy to the Past
Dying to Meet You (43 Old Cemetery Road, #1) Regarding the Fountain: A Tale, in Letters, of Liars and Leaks Over My Dead Body (43 Old Cemetery Road, #2) In the Bag Till Death Do Us Bark (43 Old Cemetery Road, #3)