Start by marking “One Special Day: A Story for Big Brothers and Sisters” as Want to Read:
One Special Day: A Story for Big Brothers and Sisters

One Special Day: A Story for Big Brothers and Sisters

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  423 Ratings  ·  99 Reviews
A warm, imaginative, loving picture book that's just right for older siblings of new babies. Full color.
Published March 20th 2012 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about One Special Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Special Day

Extra Yarn by Mac BarnettAnd Then It's Spring by Julie FoglianoGreen by Laura Vaccaro SeegerThe Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore by William JoyceThis is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen
2013 Mock Caldecott
23rd out of 97 books — 241 voters
Julius, the Baby of the World by Kevin HenkesWaiting for Baby by Rachel FullerThere's Going to Be a Baby by John BurninghamThe New Baby by Mercer MayerWaiting for Baby by Harriet Ziefert
New Baby Siblings
15th out of 64 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Cindy Dobrez
Sep 23, 2012 Cindy Dobrez rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
What a delightful way to teach the older sibling of a new baby that a gentle touch is required. I watched a 3-year-old interact enthusiastically with this wild animal filled book as she and her grandmother read it together shortly after the birth of her new baby brother. Read my full take at Bookends Blog: http://bookends.booklistonline.com/20...
Mary
Jun 14, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it
My friend who is pregnant with her second child, and has a 2 1/2 year old son who looks like the Spencer in this book (he said "that's me!"), thinks this is one of the best "older sibling" books she's found. I'm inclined to agree with her.
Angela
Aug 29, 2011 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Recommended for storytime and as a read-aloud for new siblings, young listeners will enjoy the guessing game narrative. Parents and guardians will enjoy the message of calm and the suggestion of taking on the new "older sibling" role.
Elisabeth
Apr 25, 2012 Elisabeth rated it it was amazing
Simple, lovely and with a positive feel. This might be my new "go-to" I'm going to be a big brother/sister book. If I were alone, I would've probably cried a little, but since I was in public, I had to be my usual tough self. :)
Amy Forrester
Mar 07, 2014 Amy Forrester rated it it was amazing
As the title suggests, this book is a celebration of older siblings. Spencer is a boy who thinks of himself as strong as bear, fast as a horse, tall as a giraffe, etc. Until one special day when Spencer became a brother and then he was quiet and gentle. The digital oil pastel illustrations depict an energetic boy romping through the garden with a menagerie of animals. The name of each animal is intentionally omitted, encouraging readers to shout out the answer, making this a great choice for sto ...more
Lindsay
Aug 15, 2012 Lindsay rated it really liked it
new baby, siblings, brothers, interactive, animals
Judith
Mar 30, 2012 Judith rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Oooh, maybe a possible 2013 Caldecott contender?
Renee
Apr 20, 2012 Renee rated it it was amazing
Summary: An energetic and imaginative boy becomes a big brother.

Text is short and simple and has a positive big sibling message but isn't preachy.

Endpages are important and valuable to look at. The beginning end pages show all the different things the boy likes to play with on his own: climbing on rocks, pretending he is a superhero, playing with a truck, doing a hand stand. The title page show his mom and dad giving him a hug. Mom is pregnant and has a bag packed. On the first page (wordless)
Candice
Jan 30, 2013 Candice rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children of just about any age who are about to become big brothers or sisters
Shelves: picture-books
This is a simple but charming book about a little boy who is about to become a big brother. Even very young children can understand what is happening in the story. On the first wordless page we see Spencer and a woman (an aunt, grandmother?) waving goodbye as his parents leave in the car. The following pages describe Spencer in animal terms. Strong as a - turn the page to see a picture of a bear. Tall as a - turn the page to see a picture of a giraffe. And so on. My daughter read it to my 2 1/2 ...more
Emily Anderson
Nov 27, 2013 Emily Anderson rated it really liked it
One Special day is a story about a sweet little boy. Throughout the book he plays outside imitating different types of animals. Every animal he acts out shares one of his unique characteristics that show his identity. My favorite animal he acts out is the elephant because the little boy takes the lids of the garbage can and bang them together while stumping through his yard. At the end of the story you learn he gained another characteristic while playing in the yard. This book would be great for ...more
Heidi
Fun book for kids just for the "fill-in-the-blank" of metaphors (with all answers being the pictured animals). The ending might not resound with some kids in a storytime setting--though in my current ones they would with a bunch of them! Definitely worth considering in either toddler or preschool. I think they'd enjoy seeing the boy like all the animals, and even like the ending whether or not they have a younger brother or sister.

I did get a little sniffy at the end of the book. It could be th
Melissa
Bonus points for a new sibling book that doesn't assume jealousy or tantrums. The illustrations give me a little early-Sendak vibe, love it. I also really enjoyed the endpapers--Spencer playing by himself on the front pages and with his little brother, very age-appropriately and happily, on the back pages. I liked all the animals hanging out with Spencer, waiting till it was their turn. In the end, I felt like I wanted more of a balance between the two parts of the book--the animals kind of went ...more
Emily Hens
This book did not have a lot of words on the pages. Instead, the author let the pictures tell the story. Once you turned the pages, the picture would complete the sentence which I LOVE because it allowed the student to come up with their own answer, even if the picture is telling them what the word is.
Elaine
Aug 01, 2014 Elaine rated it liked it
Mia has a wonderful time entertaining herself by painting, dancing, exploring but what she really wants is to play with her brother, Spencer.
Vicki
May 15, 2014 Vicki rated it liked it
Shelves: picture, tiny-tots
An affirming book about what a young child can do - most of it loud and moving, until a special sibling arrives to help him be gentle.

Sweet!
Andrew
Apr 27, 2014 Andrew rated it it was amazing
Awesome book for toddlers and elementary school kids about new siblings! I love how fancifully it's told.
Casandria
Oct 22, 2015 Casandria rated it it was amazing
An adorable picture book about a boy becoming a big brother. I highly recommend it!
Debby Baumgartner
Great book for a little boy getting a new baby in the house especially a sister. Great animal pictures with simple words.
Tracie
Oct 13, 2015 Tracie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Spencer is all boy but he knows to be gentle once he becomes a big brother.
Anja Manning
Dec 17, 2012 Anja Manning rated it it was amazing
I didn't read the small-print part of the title so I didn't know where the story was going, but it made no difference. Spencer is a hilarious boy, full of life and mischief. The story is interactive in that important words are not written down but are the focus of the illustration on that page. This works wonderfully. The illustrations are just as full of energy as little Spencer is, until 'one special day'. When Spencer's parents bring home a little baby and he is a brother for the first time. ...more
Bonnie
Sep 30, 2014 Bonnie rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Sweet story a little one who is about to become a sibling.
Barnak
Feb 15, 2014 Barnak rated it liked it
Neel like this book because it was a good book.
Jul 23, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book about a boy who becomes a big brother. Spencer is charmingly compared to a variety of animals, which creates a fun story to read with young boys. "He was tall -- tall as a [illustration of giraffe]." At the end of the story, Spencer waits quietly with all the animals for his parents, who arrive home with a new baby.

A really sweet story, perfect for any preschool aged boy that's about to be a big brother. Recommended for public library collections, though it's a bit youn
Stephani
Jan 20, 2016 Stephani rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, 2016
Gorgeous illustrations and great text.
Michael Fitzgerald
Dec 14, 2015 Michael Fitzgerald rated it it was ok
Predictable and dull.
Laura Molinario
Mar 10, 2014 Laura Molinario rated it really liked it
This book is like...a simile.
Brandi
Jan 20, 2014 Brandi rated it liked it
A sweet book to help older siblings cope with a new younger sibling. The attribute comparisons of the young boy protagonist to animals (e.g. strong as a bear) encourage audience participation.
Kifflie
Oct 10, 2012 Kifflie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
There are some picture books that get everything right. This is one of them. The theme of becoming an older brother or sister has been done before, but this book has so much extra charm in the artwork, and the text is understated and powerful at the same time.

I love little Spencer's energy and imagination, and I also love how he welcomes his little sibling into the world (it's not clear whether the baby is male or female).

The endpapers are a treat in themselves.

Definitely a Caldecott contender.
Jayna
Jul 06, 2013 Jayna rated it really liked it
Ages 4 - 6

Spencer is a lot things, fast, tall, loud, but one day he becomes a big brother and that changes everything.

This would be great for a story time about siblings. This story also incorporate a lot of unfinished sentences that are finished by the picture. You could encourage the children in story time to play the part of what Spencer is like. For example Spencer is a loud as an elephant, you could ask the kids what was in the picture and for them to demonstrate their elephant noises.
Ashley Viox
Sep 13, 2012 Ashley Viox rated it really liked it
I think that this is a great book that has the potential to win the Caldecott. The reason why I think that this book has the potential to win the Caldecott is because the pictures are very descriptive to the text. The pictures are so elaborate that the book needs no words to say what the picture is of. For example the book will say "funny as a" and then there will be a picture of a monkey. I love the pictures in this book, it is very colorful and I really think this book can win the Caldecott.
  • Another Brother
  • Baby Bear Sees Blue
  • Homer
  • Oh, No!
  • A Home for Bird
  • Chloe, Instead
  • Demolition
  • Charley's First Night
  • One Two That's My Shoe!
  • It's a Tiger!