Start by marking “Write Tight: How to Keep Your Prose Sharp, Focused and Concise” as Want to Read:
Write Tight: How to Keep Your Prose Sharp, Focused and Concise

Write Tight: How to Keep Your Prose Sharp, Focused and Concise

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Writing well is, or at least should be, the goal of every writer and aspiring author. William Brohaugh, in this classic writing reference, shows how to do just that -- achieve a high standard of writing. In Write Tight, Brohaugh teaches how to not only say exactly what you want with grace and power, using the right word, but also how to use the right number of words. Conce ...more
Published December 28th 2002 by Intercollegiate Studies Institute (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Write Tight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Write Tight

Cher Han (Andy) Lau
Oct 18, 2013 Cher Han (Andy) Lau rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who is keen on writing
Shelves: academic
I pick up this book as a writing performance enhancer for my thesis. It teaches ways to make our writing tighter, along with many useful examples in a humorous tone. The book is slightly more towards fictional writing, but all the tips are applicable to academic writing. Check out the bibliography and the author's confession sections to find a lot more useful information.
Brandon
I think about this book a lot. When I was a newspaper columnist I would write what I wanted to say, then use the tricks from this book to winnow it down to the required length without losing any of the meaning I wanted to convey. I did the same thing with my graduate school application essays. In one instance I turned a 500 word essay into 300 words while still saying the same thing.
Michael Y. Patuwo
Great advice for writers! I find myself agreeing with what Mr. Brohaugh says nearly all the time, and while he may not be the wittiest writer around, he captures my interest and fascination and holds it there. There is an unsettling lack of prose examples to substantiate his points, but otherwise, a great self-help book.
V. Gingerich
I didn't particularly think this author took his own advice to "write tight" but I did learn a lot from this book, especially the lists of trouble words in the back of the book. Definitely recommend this for writers who tend to ramble, like I do.
Paul Anton
I read it once, then began to shorten a manuscript.
I read it a second time, and learned how to cut even more.
Every time I write my own words, or edit another writer's work, I think back on the lessons I learned in Write Tight.
Dionna Day
Essential reading for writers! It made me a better writer and can do the same for you.
Jen
Truly made me a much better writer - worth every penny and then some.
Rebecca
Good advice but a little wordy for a book on writing concisely!
Brenda Moffitt
Five stars isn't enough...
Dallin Cottle
Dallin Cottle marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Al Macy
Al Macy is currently reading it
Sep 27, 2014
Marie Ortiz
Marie Ortiz marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Garrett Pendergraft
Garrett Pendergraft is currently reading it
Aug 13, 2014
Anmurray24
Anmurray24 marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Rainie Mills
Rainie Mills marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Travis
Travis added it
May 14, 2014
Ronson
Ronson added it
Feb 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
English Through the Ages Write Tight: Say Exactly What You Mean with Precision and Power Just Open a Vein The Writer's Resource Guide Professional Etiquette for Writers