Start by marking “Personal Learning Networks: Using the Power of Connections to Transform Education” as Want to Read:

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  58 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
The Internet now connects us in unprecedented ways. We have access to tools will allow us to build global learning networks where we can pursue our intellectual and creative passions with people around the world. As educators, these networked opportunities present a very big challenge. To prepare students to flourish in this new learning world, schools will need to transfo ...more
Published June 1st 2011 by Solution Tree (first published May 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Personal Learning Networks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Personal Learning Networks

Laurie Niestrath
Jan 02, 2013 Laurie Niestrath rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Educators, parents
Recommended to Laurie by: Powerful Learning Network
Shelves: professional
This is a great little book that's packed with lots of practical ideas about how K-12 educators can not only transform their own learning experiences, but that of the institutions in which they work. The concept of what is a "Personal Learning Networks" is explored in depth. Guidelines for how to create an individual PLN is revealed through real life examples. The process and timeline for implementing a program to create a "networked" school community is explained with outlines and time frames. ...more
Melissa Emler
Jan 03, 2015 Melissa Emler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I refer to this book often.
Marc
Feb 11, 2013 Marc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great mix of theory and practical suggestions. Not much new for those that are already tapped in to the current thinking on networked learning, but could be considered essential reading for those educators who are not. There were times when I would have liked to see more concrete evidence of the ideas being purported. Nice anecdotes throughout, but maybe the research hasn't caught up to give a little more weight to the true benefits and hazards of connected learning.
Fran Darling
Jun 20, 2012 Fran Darling rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ed-tech
Another excellent and forward thinking book co-authored by Will Richardson and Rob Mancabelli. The focus again is on making connections through social networking to enhance and improve educational practice. Many clear explanations and examples are included in each chapter that are easy to follow with much practical tips and tricks. The Twitter section is great!
Matt
Aug 31, 2015 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: island-books
A book about technology in education that has and will stand the test of time. While a few of the tools are outdated in the text, the premise of becoming a more connected educator and tapping into the vast knowledge that a PLN can provide is timeless. This is a book I sincerely hope the authors offer a 2nd edition someday.
Bryan Devine
Jan 29, 2012 Bryan Devine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great tool as I continue to develop my Personal Learning Network and start deciding how to implement PLN's with my students. Lots of great resources mentioned that I will be going back to as I continue down my 21st century learning journey.
Patrick
pretty god. The first half is outdated but the second half has some good ideas resources and suggestions.
Tracy
Oct 27, 2013 Tracy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Book! Helped to change some of my units I teach.
Leslie
Mar 28, 2012 Leslie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: professional
Good basic info to help you get started with a PLN.
B
B marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Nc
Nc marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Gwen
Gwen marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Sayed Saber
Sayed Saber marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Krishaan Khubchand
Krishaan Khubchand marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Peter Atkinson
Peter Atkinson rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2016
K.
K. is currently reading it
Jan 18, 2016
Ally
Ally marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Mandy Siegel
Mandy Siegel marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
Laura Vivaldi
Laura Vivaldi marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Craig
Craig is currently reading it
Oct 29, 2015
Amy G
Amy G marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015
Tru Poet
Tru Poet marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2015
AJen NaJe
AJen NaJe marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2015
Sean
Sean rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2015
Ann Ewel
Ann Ewel rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2015