Start by marking “Angels of Darkness (Alphas, #0.5; Guild Hunter, #3.5; The Guardians, #7.5; Samaria)” as Want to Read:

Angels of Darkness (Guild Hunter #3.5)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  7,262 ratings  ·  419 reviews

Tales of alpha angels...from four alpha authors.

They soar through the night, unearthly creatures of legends and lore. Four masters of urban fantasy and paranormal romance explore the rapture of the heavens above, and the darkness below in four all-new stories of angels and guardians, and good and evil.

Contents:
Angel's wolf / by Nalini Singh --
Alphas: Origins / by Ilona A

Audiobook, Unabridged, 11 pages
Published October 4th 2011 by Tantor Media, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Angels of Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angels of Darkness

Gordon
I liked the story we did, but to be honest I also feel like we had to compromise to get it accepted. Ilona, do not read past this point. I don't mean that in a "oh poor me, I am an artist and I had to compromise my artistic integrity, to get my novel published." Ok, well maybe a little, even commercial hacks get the blues. When we came up with alphas, we wanted it to be sick and twisted, dark and mostly devoid of humor. Really, we sometimes like to write stuff that is not as funny or fantasy-ish ...more
Melindeeloo
I was so excited about this anthology that I instantly dropped everything else I was reading the moment it appeared on my Kindle - these authors are among my very favorites. I was pretty hyped for this, which might have worked a bit against me, I enjoyed the four stories, three of which are connected the authors' series, but I was surprised that with so many of my top favorite authors, the new to me Sharon Shinn's story was my favorite. The stories in Angels of Darkness weren't super romancey ev ...more
MB
I wanted to read this book because it had stories by Ilona Andrews and Sharon Shinn included. I usually stay far away from PN/UF's containing angels and/or demons because I find them viscerally a turn-off. But I love Shinn's Samaria series (they are the exception to my weird turn-off) and I'll try anything by Andrews.

Well, I loved the Shinn entry. It is a nice one about 2 unhappy people helping each other get past the hurts life has dealt them. It is kind of a quiet story--not terribly dramatic.
Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)
Why am I not getting this until December according to Amazon when the release date is October!? This sucks great bit fuzzy baboon testicles!

November 2011 Update

Okay so I may have overreacted! I now have the book, happy days people! The baboon is back in the cage!

Angel's Wolf by Nalini Singh
5 Stars

I find it really hard to rate novellas, this book is only 90 pages or so long; how much can you possibly pack in in that length?! Apparently for Nalini Singh, quite a bit. I think to fully appreciate th
Catherine
I’m not usually much of an anthology fan, but I needed a Meljean Brook fix to tide me over while I wait for Michael’s book, so I jumped at the opportunity to review this book. I was quite surprised to find that I really enjoyed it! Maybe I should try to overcome my anthology dislike and give more of them a try.

Angel’s Wolf by Nalini Singh:
In the spellbinding universe of the Guild Hunters, a vampire becomes obsessed with the seductive angel who rules the Louisiana territory. But in her court, all
oOSarahOo
OMG. OMG. OMG. An IA short story I haven't yet read!!!! Damn why are these anthologies so expensive?!

Anna
Dec 27, 2011 Anna marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
...reading this only for you Sharon Shinn! :)
Lady Jaye
This is one of my favorite anthologies till date, as it contains 3 of my very favorite authors.

Alphas: Origins, by Ilona Andrews - 5 stars
I loved this one. Skill and versatility from two authors I adore. The writing is so different from the typical Ilona Andrews voice and I am excited. I am excited for a new series (fingers crossed), hopefully starring Lucas and Karina.

Nocturne, by Sharon Shinn - 5 stars
My favorite. Sharon Shinn writes with elegance and an understated beauty that drags you una
Hirondelle
This is sort of being currently read - I wanted to read the Sharon Shinn story, got straight to it, and now not sure if I will read the rest. I want to return the book to owner, so trying to make the effort to read the rest of the stories fast, but OTOH I am stuck on the second story (Second i tried to read. I can not remember when was the last time I read one anthology straight cover to cover by their own order).

The Sharon Shinn story is probably not a good introduction to her Samaria world. It
Susana
Patricia BookExhibitionism
Proper review to come!

~4 stars, with a plus, because I'm dying for the Alpha series by Ilona Andrews and also for something written by Sharon Shinn. Hadn't expected to like her writing and when I did.. Yay.

The story by Nalini Singh wasn't as good as I hoped for, 3 stars, probably.

Meljean Brook's story was interesting. The whole Ascension-thing and the stuff the protagonsits said about the Guardians.. But I wasn't emotionally involved with them whatsoever, so I'd probably give this story 3.5 sta
Carlyn
I'm a big fan of Nalini and Ilona and I like Meljean but I hadn't heard of Sharon Shinn and I love a well written angel story so I was looking forward to reading this anthology.
Nalini's story is set in her Archangel's world and center's on an Archangel called Nimra and the vampire Noel. They must find out who is out to poison the archangel. A great insight into the Archangel world!
Ilona's story is exactly what you expect from her, full of action and adventure and great character's. I would love
Shannon C.
Oct 11, 2011 Shannon C. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: PNR fans
Good anthology collection--not a stinker in the bunch! :)

Singh's Angel's Wolf: 3 stars
I love Nalini Singh and find most of her stuff to be great. While this story wasn't some of her best work, it was still a good read. It's set in the Guild Hunters series' world. It is a PNR anthology w/an HEA. I think you'll get more from the story if you've already read at least Angel's Blood (book one)--which is a great book.

Andrews' Alphas Origins: 3.5 stars
I love Andrews' Kate Daniels series and really lik
Kate
Angels of Darkness is actually four novellas, which I will review individually. They are probably best called paranormal romances.

Nocturne, by Sharon Shinn, is quite good, if predictable. A woman with a bit of a troubled past and a scathing tongue meets a hurt and despairing angel at a lonely manor . . . If you've read any Sharon Shinn, you'll know what's going to happen, but in a good way, because the story is comfortably predictable (like chocolate).

I didn't care much for Ascension, by Meljea
Alyssa Ricks
Read as part of the Angels of Darkness anthology

Merged review:

Angel's Wolf (Singh) 4 stars. This is the first work of Singh's I've read and I really enjoyed it and will definitely try out her series. I'm not sure that I like that all the angels are cruel and inhumane (why does Raphael leave them in power?), but I get that, for at least some, it's an illusion they've created and is used as a foil for Nimra. I really enjoyed the characters of Nimra and Noel and even Christian and the rest of the c
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
This review was posted at Under The Covers

This book is one of the few anthologies that I've read in which I've actually liked every story. Some definitely more than others, but they are all good! I'll review them individually.

Angel's Wolf by Nalini Singh - 4.5 Stars
Noel, a vampire who used to work at the Tower for Raphael, and who was one of the victims in a previous Guild Hunter book, is sent to New Orleans to serve Nimra. At first he thought he was being cast out because of his weakness. He is
Michelle
A thoroughly enjoyable anthology, I adore the writing of both Nalini and Ilona so I was excited about this one. I have read Nalini' s tale before but it was still enjoyable second time around. Sharon was a new to me author but I will be looking out for her on my next shopping spree, I loved the world she created and the characters drew me in. I hope there are more stories set in this world.
Ren
4 stars just for Angel's Wolf by Nalini Singh

My review will up at Smart Bitches and Trashy Books . This is the second time I participated to review for RITA Reading Challenge. And of course congratulations for Nalini Singh to get 3 RITA nominations including Angel's Wolf for the best Novella!
Sandra
Angel's Wolf by Nalini Singh ★★★★

Noel the Vampire, recovering from the vicious attack at the refuge, is sent by Raphael to assist the angel Nimra. Nimra holds Louisiana on behalf of Raphael and someone has tried to murder her; she doesn't trust any of her Court.

Noel solves the problem and finds a new purpose, and kittens!

Alphas: Origins by Ilona Andrews ★★★

Whilst IA is one of my fav authors, this story was pretty hard to get into. By the end though, I was fully invested.

Single mother Karina, is
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

Angel's Wolf by Nalini Singh (Guild Hunter #4.5)

Guild Hunter fans will recognize the hero from this story. Noel was the vampire in ARCHANGEL’S KISS who was brutally beaten to the point where virtually all the bones in his body were crushed. After an agonizing recovery, he is sent to Louisiana and the smoldering but heartless angel Nimra. A failed attempt on her life has cast the loyalty of all Nimra’s court in question, and Noel is sent to discover the
Lia
Disclaimer: I've only read 3 out of the 4 stories in this book: Angel's Wolf by Nalini Singh, Alphas: Origins by Ilona Andrews, and Nocturne by Sharon Shinn. I'm not familiar with Meljean Brook's Guardian series, and I hate starting a series in the middle, so I did not read her novella.

Angel's Wolf by Nalini Singh
Singh's Guild Hunter series is not one of my favorites. I like her Psy-changeling books much better, mostly because they are PNR and the romance and world-building is good. In the Guild
Shannon (Savhage Temptrest)
(Review originally written for Nocturne Romance Reads)

Angel's Wolf by Nalini Singh was a very sweet, poignant romantic mystery set in the Guild Hunter world. A very well thought out and emotional installment into the series, this novella will have readers guessing until close to the end who was out to assassinate the seductive and mysterious angel who rules her court absolutely and how the emotionally damaged vampire at her side will protect her to his last breath.

The interaction between Nimra a
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
4.5 Stars - overall I really enjoyed all 4 novellas. 1 is a standalone, 3 are part of a series. I'm not caught up on the ones that are part of a series, but I thought that the stories were good standalones, and I wasn't lost at all. There might have been some slightly spoilerish things that didn't bother me (I still plan on reading the series) but might bother some folks who must read things in order. I have read and enjoyed every one of these authors, although I haven't read as much of Shinn's ...more
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
** I'll be reading the other stories as withdrawals come in and I need a fix**

Angel’s Wolf by Nalini Singh – 4 stars

He is a battered, broken vampire.

She is a lethal, misunderstood angel.

But together, Noel and Nimra are more than just a broken body and a deadly blade.

Angel’s Wolf is Nalini Singh’s story in the Angels of Darkness anthology. I am truly baffled at how Singh is able to bring back shattered souls to life. She just doesn’t give them back their wings, but she lets each of her character
Sofija
This rating is only for Ilona Andrews “Alphas: Origins”

I don’t know if there is a need for review. Just look at the author name. Of course it was great! I didn’t expect any less.

The story is about a woman being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Karina and her six-years-old daughter were attacked by strange creatures. Now she is poisoned and to survive she agreeds to feed her blood to a violent man who turns into vicious creature. That’s how she found herself in the middle of genetically muta
Kelli
This audio collection of novellas was a resounding success for me, even though it does not include one of the stories (Meljean Brook’s Ascension) found in the text version. That’s quite a coup considering I usually avoid short-story collections like the plague. All three novellas were very entertaining and the narrations ranged from good to very good.

Angel’s Wolf – Nalini Singh

Story: B-
Narration: B

The vampire Noel is sent to Louisiana by Raphael, the Archangel of New York. Nimra is the angel who
Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽
**Only reading Angel's Wolf and Alpha**

Angel's Wolf ~ 4 stars ~ read from October 19-20, 2011.

I am constantly amazed at how Nalini Singh writes about these abuse characters and bring them back to life. Poor Noel was brutalized in a prior book and is what he thinks, cast off by Raphael to help another angel in Louisiana, Nimra. Nimra believes a trusted member of her staff is trying to kill her.

I loved seeing Noel and Nimra's passions return and awaken with each other. They were really sweet tog
Sarah A.
Overall rating: 3.5 stars.

Angel's wolf

2 stars.

How can I say this without offending those who love Nalini Singh? this story is so typically her, the traumatic past, the supposed to be cruel but somehow always kind inside angel, the sudden urge to love someone when they spent eons lonely! Man, talk about cliché! No surprise, nothing new, I was bored reading it. 2 stars is a generous rating really.

Alphas: origin (my favorite in this Antho.)

That was a really good story, I believe if Andrews
Starfire
One of the better anthologies I've read lately, with no DNFs. I won't repeat all the comments I made against the individual novellas over in my status updates, other than to say that:

- Unsurprisingly, Meljeann Brook's instalment was my favourite, but you may need to be an existing Guardians series fan to get the best out of this story, given other reviewer comments

- The one I enjoyed next-most was Ilona Andrew's contribution. It was darker and grittier than I was expecting (I'm not surprised it
Jessie Mihalik
I was only interested in reading Alphas by Ilona Andrews, but I ended up reading the other stories, as well, even though they are parts of series I hadn't read. All of the stories were quite good (hence the four star rating), but I'm only going to review Alphas.

Pick up any Ilona Andrews book and you know the world-building is going to be top notch. It's a skill that is hard to pull off, and they have mastered it. That skill was evident here, too, but not with the usual subtlety and deftness that
Goodreads Librari...: Book that doesn't exist 4 36 Jan 25, 2012 04:34AM
  • Angels' Flight (Guild Hunter, #0.4, 0.5, 0.6, 3.5)
  • Wild & Steamy (Includes: Iron Seas #0.4; The Disillusionists Trilogy #2.5)
  • An Enchanted Season (Psy-Changeling, #0.5; Murphy Sisters, #1)
  • Burning Up (Children of the Sea, #3.5; Psy-Changeling, #0.6; Iron Seas, #0.5)
  • Under Her Skin
  • Dark and Stormy Knights
  • Chicks Kick Butt
Ilona Andrews is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. author2sm“Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a be ...more
More about Ilona Andrews...
Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3) Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4) Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2) Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)

“Life changes us. To wish otherwise is pointless.” 10 likes
“Her life was broken like a mirror and the shards kept cutting her fingers.” 2 likes