One Skein

One Skein

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  863 ratings  ·  80 reviews
These knitted and crocheted fashion accessories and decorative accents for the home vary in their required levels of skill, but all can be completed quickly and require only one skein of yarn. The stitch patterns and clear instructions make it easy for even procrastinators and the less-than-diligent to create a ruffled cravat, a drawstring bag, a tank top, cozy scarves, ar...more
Published April 1st 2006 by Interweave Press

To ask other readers questions about One Skein, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Skein

Stitch 'n Bitch by Debbie StollerKnitting Without Tears by Elizabeth ZimmermannElizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac by Elizabeth ZimmermannThe Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns by Ann BuddThe Knitting Answer Book by Margaret Radcliffe
Must-have Knitting Books
22nd out of 133 books — 124 voters
Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac by Elizabeth ZimmermannStitch 'n Bitch by Debbie StollerKnitting Without Tears by Elizabeth ZimmermannYarn Harlot by Stephanie Pearl-McPheeAt Knit's End by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
Knitting Nonfiction
8th out of 57 books — 63 voters

More lists with this book...

Shelley
I was really looking forward to this book - I'm always looking for one skein projects. Unfortunately, while some were cute, none were anything I'd be interested in making for myself or anyone else I know.
Kristina Jo
So I got all excited when I saw this book at my library, 'cause I crochet and would like to work on my knitting. Unfortunately, there wasn't a single knit project that I would want to make. In my opinion, these projects kind of feed the bad reputation knitters and crocheters get for lacking taste and style. Also, some of them are fantastically impractical, like the knitted cupcakes. Perhaps I'm just a snooty biz-natch, but who would decorate with knitted cupcakes?

Another strike against the book...more
Jenni
Jul 22, 2008 Jenni rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: knitters
Shelves: crafty
Sadly, the subtitle 30 Projects to Knit and Crochet was awfully misleading. I think there were only 5 patterns for crochet, and the first one didn't appear until nearly halfway through the book. For crochet, One Skein, includes a "crochet cap & ruffle cravat," "geometric accessory bags," "bath mitt & puffy," "bathmat," "pom-pom boa," and that's it. The accessory bags and the boa were cute and somewhat novel, in my opinion, but the others were the same kind of patterns crocheters have bee...more
This book includes a good number of cute and quick patterns. I don't crochet so I wish the book were devoted only to knitting projects.
Kristine
Wow! The book I've been waiting for months to get, I've been on the request list since November of last year, I think. And it's no wonder, it's a super duper book.

There are so many projects I'd like to try, I think I may just need to own it. The concept is that there are 30 patterns that you can make with a single skein of yarn, which is super fun (knitting and some crochet).

From leg and arm warmers to footies to gloves and hats and scarves, everything you need to stay warm. Then there's great...more
Diane
I might eventually give this five stars, but to be honest I haven't actually worked up any of the patterns. There are some killer baby items in here though--an awesome asymmetrical sweater, some sweet hats, and a darling little petal bib. No idea what I would do with a knitted cupcake, but it's cute, too.

I love that I can utilize yarn from my stash, and that the patterns are only a one-skein commitment. Though I don't crochet, several of the projects in there are motivating me to learn so I can...more
Mckinley
Nothing I want to make.
Snorkle
This was a well put-together book that featured nice designs and lovely photographs. I liked the set-up and thought the book had a nice balance of pictures of the knitted items. I liked most of the patterns in this book, but not enough to knit any of them. I think I would still recommend to other knitters though, I just didn't find anything that caught my fancy.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2010...
Kelly
I missed that this was a knit and crochet book, so I got it home before I realized that a couple of the projects that I really wanted to do were crochet. Drat!
I'm working on the petal bib for a friend's baby that is due at the end of summer. Looks pretty good, but I think the second time through will be 100% better.
There are a couple of other projects that I might modify, but I have to agree that some of the "one" skein projects are just ridiculous.
Nanci Svensson
Uninspired, unpractical projects. I buy my yarn vintage which means I often only get hold of one skein of a particular color of a fave yarn, so I really wanted this book to be good. Damnation!
Plus, I don't think the format 'knit AND crochet patterns" is good, because it seems always to be 80 % knitting and 20% crochet - and the crochet patterns invariably are mostly "cute" baby items.
angrykitty
my mother in law gave this to me the crictmas before last. i have to admit that i haven't actually completed any of the projects yet, but it's more to the fact that i just don't knit all that much compared to crochet, but it really has the type of projects i dig, as my biggest problem with knitting is losing interest in doing projects for a long time.
Jessica
Normally, I'm satisfied if a knitting book is inspiring. I don't always follow the patterns exactly. But I've knitted three things from this book: the baby bolero, the felted clutch, and the felted bag. Adorable. And truly workable in one skein, which is convenient for planning. Especially for the baby and holiday gift planning.
Lisa
Nov 03, 2007 Lisa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: knitters
Love reading pretty much anything knitting related. Make sure you check the web site for corrections to the patterns before you start though. The baby bib and the footies are two patterns that I want to make that have corrections.

Very cute stuff and I definitely want to buy this one for my library.
Kathryn
Jun 08, 2008 Kathryn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kathryn by: Sarah
Shelves: knitting-books
My sister gave me this book, and it's been so useful. My favorite pattern (which I've used for two baby gifts with good results) is the baby bolero. Some of the weird instructions are to keep projects to one skein. I did do a little of my own rearranging of things to make the knitting easier.
Kel
I wasn't so impressed with this book. There are maybe three patterns in the whole book worth bothering with... all the others simply look like something you were too cheap to buy more than one skein of yarn for and then made small. I'm glad this was a library book and not a purchase. :)
Phoebe
Sep 30, 2007 Phoebe rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: knitters & crafters
I think perhaps a small project will get me going again in the world of knit.

Edit: The projects in this book were far more compelling than I thought they'd be. I plan to try a few out. I'll let you know if they patterns are as easy as advertised, and mistake-free.
Stacy
This book is like a welcome friend, to a novice knitter. I have enjoyed reading, viewing and trying the patterns. The projects range from easy to more complicated but for a beginner the patterns are very well written out. The layout of the book is quite comfortable
Gillian
this book is filled with adorable projects for beginners but I would bet that this would have to be an advanced beginner. It's the kind of craft book you pick up and want to buy and would have good intentions about doing some of these projects.
Colette
Has a pattern for the cutest little knitted cupcakes! Directions were easy to follow and my cupcake turned out perfect the first time! I love all of the picture examples she gives, along with detailed info on the yarns she used.
Rebekah
A good way to use up your odds and ends left over from projects. There's a rug in here I want to make from all the waste yarn I've gathered over the years. If I can put my real projects aside long enough to get to it.
Jessica
The projects in this book were kind of so-so. I didn't feel I really wanted to make any of them, but if you're looking for something quick & easy, or need to get rid of a skein, this book might come in handy.
Ginger
Maybe I'm being a bit harsh giving this book only 3 stars - I see others really love it and it certainly does contain some cute patterns. But, I've had the book four years and have never knit anything from it.
Doc-mok
Good for projects with one skein of yarn (as the title suggests, of course). I've thus far enjoyed making and felting several bowls and am eyeing several of the other projects with interest.
MaryKay
I'm very interested in the pattern on page 94, the Felted Striped Tote
by Leigh Radford

Gabrielle
Although I don't own this book, I have made the clutch about 4 times as a gift. I recommend a look at this book, all the projects may not be for everyone but they are cute and innovative
Steph
A bit light on crochet projects and of the ones there were probably one one was a must do. The projects I liked I REALLY liked but theres not enough in this book to make me want to buy it.
Miss Mouse
This was OK. A number of Ok projects. I thought the one-skein top was a bit riduculous, because unless you are a petite anorexic, you're not making a knitted top out of one skein.
Meryl
Lots of cute projects using minimal yarn, and lots of things that can be customized just a little to fit what you have to use up. I wish there was a little more instruction though.
Angela
Not only was the stuff affordable and work-able, it is chic. She has an artist's eye and a realistic viewpoint. Note: I haven't actually read through a pattern yet step-by-step.
Aquit
Cute patterns--some more than others. The instructions are a little too jumble up together IMO but a okay knitting book. I might try two or three patterns on a rainy day.
  • Scarf Style
  • Last-Minute Knitted Gifts
  • Weekend Knitting: 50 Unique Projects and Ideas
  • Fitted Knits: 25 Designs for the Fashionable Knitter
  • One-Skein Wonders
  • Mason-Dixon Knitting: The Curious Knitters' Guide: Stories, Patterns, Advice, Opinions, Questions, Answers, Jokes, and Pictures
  • Vogue Knitting Stitchionary Volume One: Knit & Purl: The Ultimate Stitch Dictionary from the Editors of Vogue Knitting Magazine
  • Cables Untangled: An Exploration of Cable Knitting
  • Folk Shawls
  • Stitch 'n Bitch Nation
  • Vogue Knitting: The Ultimate Knitting Book
  • Sensational Knitted Socks
  • The Knitting Answer Book: Solutions to Every Problem You'll Ever Face; Answers to Every Question You'll Ever Ask
  • The Opinionated Knitter
  • Knitting Rules!: The Yarn Harlot Unravels the Mysteries of Swatcing, Stashing, Ribbing & Rolling to Free Your Inner Knitter
  • Loop-d-Loop: More Than 40 Novel Designs for Knitters
  • The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns
  • Knitting Nature: 39 Designs Inspired by Patterns in Nature
Leigh Radford is an award-winning author, designer and teacher. Artistic, inventive and resourceful, Leigh frequently explores creative re-use and imaginative application of unusual materials.

Her books include AlterKnits Felt: Imaginative Projects for Knitting and Felting (STC Fall 2008), AlterKnits: Imaginative Projects and Creativity Exercises (STC Fall 2005) and One Skein: 30 Quick Projects to...more
More about Leigh Radford...
Alterknits: Imaginative Projects and Creativity Exercises One More Skein: 30 Quick Projects to Knit AlterKnits Felt: Imaginative Projects for Knitting & Felting Alterknits Felt: Imaginative Projects for Knitting & Felting One More Skein: 30 Quick Projects to Knit