Start by marking “The Post Office” as Want to Read:
The Post Office

The Post Office

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  870 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
One of our most enduring inspirational works, The Post Office returns to North America with this handsomely illustrated new edition, offering hope and healing for us all. Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore, the greatest writer of modern India, wrote The Post Office in 1911, following a deep personal loss. In beautiful, simple prose, Tagore tells the story of a young boy, c ...more
Published January 1st 2010 by MVB E-Books (first published January 1st 1914)

To ask other readers questions about The Post Office, please sign up.

Shubham Sharma Actually The Boy is so much sick so he was imagining all the things by himself. (except fakir and sudha). And at last he died due to his illness and…moreActually The Boy is so much sick so he was imagining all the things by himself. (except fakir and sudha). And at last he died due to his illness and that why they said that now he gets all he wanted.

:)(less)

Nabila Tabassum Chowdhury
বইটা আমার অনেক পরিয়। জীবনের বেশ কিছু গুরুতবপূরণ পরশনের জনয আমার যে উততর তাতে এই বইটির পরভাব রয়েছে। সব পরশনগুলো একসাথে মনে পড়ে না, যেগুলো মনে পড়ছে সেগুলো লিখি...

কোনটা সুনদর?
চার দেয়ালের নিরাপততা তুচছ কিসের মায়ায়?
মানুষকে কেন ভালবাসি?
মুকতিকে কেন ভালবাসি?
কোথায় গেলে পরাণ জুড়ায়?

সবার মাঝেই বুঝি একেকজন অমল থাকে। সে অমলের চারদিকে সবাই দরজা দেয়। কিনতু সে অমল মুকতিকেই ভালবেসে যায়।

দবিতীয় বা তৃতীয় শরেণীতে থাকতে একদিন আকাশকে চিঠি লিখেছিলাম। চিঠি পোসট করেছিলাম নিজের পড়ার টেবিলের ডরয়ারের ঠিকানাতেই। ইট কাঠের মাঝে
Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly
This play in three acts was written in Bengal in 1911, not long after Tagore lost his son, daughter and wife to disease. In 1940, the evening before Paris fell to the Nazis, Andre Gide's French translation of this play was read over the radio. Two years after, in a Warsaw ghetto, a Polish version was the last play performed in the orphanage of Janusz Korczak who, when asked why he chose the play, said: "eventually one had to learn to accept serenely the angel of death." Within a month, he and hi ...more
Daniel
Apr 13, 2014 Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody
A very lovely play. It shows you how a child's positive outlook on life can change many things, including the disillusionment of a vendor and the misanthropy of a headman who takes pleasure in nothing but bullying people. Well, that's one thing it can show - I bet almost everybody sees something different in this play. I think this is the first time I read something of so obviously universal appeal, there's really something for everyone in every age group in it - that in itself is quite amazing.
Adam
This is a very brief Bengali play in 2 acts, first published in 1912. A young boy is dying, and out the window of his house he can see a new post office that has just opened in the town. The boy talks to anyone who passes his window, and he quickly becomes convinced that the king has sent a letter to him that will arrive soon at the new post office. Essentially a story about living in the moment and transforming the ordeal of suffering through imagination and the art of storytelling, this play e ...more
Vineet
Jul 28, 2012 Vineet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The abrupt ending of the play, though surprising, is similar to the unwarranted arrival of death. The innocence of children, and how the same innocence is kindlled in grown-ups when in company of children are beautifully portrayed in words. The play picks up pace towards the end, and ironically, only the herald of the anticipated arrives in time to show Amal a glimpse of a gilted dream, before he slides into an eternal slumber and the play is curtained. There is an Amal in all of us - there is a ...more
Daniel L.
Oct 02, 2013 Daniel L. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: life-s-journeys
After Death, There's Life

This play by the Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore is one of those pieces of literature that truly deserves to be remembered and admired as it was in London in 1914, when William Butler Yeats remarked that this little play "...is very perfectly constructe and conveys to the right audience an emotion of gentleness and peace." To Western eyes, at first glance, a play about a dying child may see morbid. The reader and theatregoer quickly realize, however, that Amal, the mo
Momina Masood
I was about to rate this 4 stars but I couldn't resist. As I was reading, I couldn't help feeling how this play has clear mystical undertones to it. Little Amal could be Tagore himself, the Tagore of Gitanjali, anxious to leave the narrow, claustrophobic confinements of his "room", anxious for spiritual exaltation, anxious for "the King's letter". I can't help associating the King's letter to the postman metaphors of Ashfaq Ahmed in Mann Chalay Ka Sauda, as I can't help seeing this play as somet ...more
Vandana
Sep 30, 2013 Vandana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kapil, apoorv, sunishtha, vikas, pushpam, anmol
simple, innocent and a beautiful little play by RabindraJi. Amal is a lovely little child, dying or rather living against his looming death. His vivaciousness and love for life is infectious but that is how a kid is supposed to be. his zest for life affects all and how he rejoices in every man passing by his window makes the book a funny read. The book is small but refreshing. A child's innocence teaches you how you should value life in all its hues and at all junctures. Amal has no reason to b ...more
Aamil Syed
This is a nice story about a curious little boy in a state of delirium due to disease and of adults who indulge him. I don't know why people are saying that it is about someone finally accepting death and all that, because for me, the boy never gave up on living and kept making plans for himself right till the end. I found that weird that people think it is about accepting death, when it seems to be the opposite. Or maybe I'm wrong. Hard to guess with metaphorical stories; every interpretation i ...more
Melinda
May 12, 2014 Melinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
The Post Office is a play about Amal, an eight year old boy who is terminally ill confined indoors by the family physician. His only contact with the outside world is through his window. Amal notices the village post office. He hopes the King sends him a letter. The town headman mocks and plays a practical joke on the ill Amal. Amal dreams of a future free of confinement.

Tagore's The Post Office is a play depicting free spirit, the joy of the open road free of bondage. The Post Office is poign
Shubhra
Sep 12, 2013 Shubhra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is unlike any book that I have ever read. So simple, yet oceans of meaning deep within. I had to read this book twice over the next morning. This truly shows the genius that Rabindranath Tagore was. The child Amal is true representation of human mind which is always eager to travel far and wide, is dreamy and looking to escape from its current situation in the first available opportunity. Madhav represents the adult mindset which is always playing safe and averse to risk.

It's a must read fo
Radhika
Feb 27, 2012 Radhika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's short, simple and gripping. Loved the simplicity in style, language and characters. Would have liked to read more.
shalini gupta
Apr 24, 2016 shalini gupta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The world through a child's eyes

Such a sweet and captivating story! Post office symbolises communication, connection , hope and life. The value of life is counted best by those who know their end is near. In this play the protagonist Amal is so you g and vibrant that he steals our heart right away. His conversations with the different sects of people on street indicates that love is the essence of life. Rabindra math Tagore is timeless. The more you read him , the richer you become.
Manasi Deshpande
This book is the best example of the most poetic, mysterious, symbolic narrative of a very short tale of a boy, written in the most beautiful language!! I wish I could read the original version in Bengali just to get a dip in an even so much sweeter language, but, English was not less than a masterpiece!!
The mystery sort of takes us through a spiritual awakening, which when finally confronts the biggest truth of life, the Death, it could not be more beautifully explained!!
Big Bow to Gurudev for
Abner Zambrano
Jan 19, 2015 Abner Zambrano rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amal recuerda la inocencia y felicidad de la niñez, donde solo interesa jugar y tener una sonrisa en nuestro rostro. La historia tiene un final triste, Amal se duerme para nunca más volver a abrir sus pequeños ojos llenos de tanta aventura y ganas de vivir y recorrer el mundo, siempre recordando que somos parte de la naturaleza como lo dice y lo recalca en sus obras el autor de esta deliciosa Historia.
Aditya Parashar
Jul 11, 2014 Aditya Parashar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh boy !! this is our answer to the animal farm. Much more powerful and revealing be it about humanity.

Nice to see a flame in the midst of darkness, though am not sure if that was even the intent but hey reviews are meant to be based on the reader's opinion. Loved the unbiased hope....
Sanjukta
Nov 20, 2015 Sanjukta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A journey of spiritual awareness. A beautifully delivered yet detailed allegory. I wonder what watching this enlightening play would be like!
Harsh Thaker
Jan 31, 2016 Harsh Thaker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When nothing remains to say in the glory of this play, the all I can say is- "...and the King comes, finally!!"
Samar
Oct 02, 2013 Samar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent drama. A story from which much can be drawn. It is interesting how every character whether it is the Watchman, Curd-seller, Headman or the Gaffer all represent different levels, beliefs and strata of society. It can be interpreted in the political scenario of the imperial era of subcontinent, the educational flaws in the system along with the departing sense of mysticism and naturalism in favor of materialism, scientific progress and practicality bordering on pessimism. Amal is ever ...more
Ashutosh
Sep 23, 2015 Ashutosh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: play-poetry
The play is written beautifully in a very simple language. There can be many interpretation of the play.It may represent the simple story of an ill boy or may be there is more symbolism than what appears to be on the surface. I think Amal represent a mind which wants to wander off to faraway places but is restricted by societal beliefs (By labeling him as ill). Amal has the quest for spiritual freedom and constantly seeking the knowledge of it by interacting with other characters.

There may be o
Supertramp
May 23, 2014 Supertramp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
#72

This is absolutely brilliant and masterwork. Symbolism at its peaks.
Pratiti
Absolutely delightful. This would be a wonderful play to see acted out.
I only wish I could have read it in the original Bangla...maybe one day.
Vruti
Feb 04, 2016 Vruti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully interpretation of death
Meghana Rastogi
Dec 21, 2014 Meghana Rastogi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
simple but with a strong message :)
Rishant
Touching
Korie K
Jun 17, 2008 Korie K rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
6.17.08

Picked this up off the shelf just now. I'm intrigued by what is written on the back, "A beautifully illustrated edition of one of the most spiritually uplifting works of the twentieth century." I could use such a book right now.

Started it at 10.30pm, finished it at 11pm. What a beautiful play. It lived up to the quote on the back of the book.

It was a simple story that was wonderful for the soul.

I look forward to reading the poetry that this author has written.
Nomad nimrod
I havent read much by Mr. Tagore, which i definately hope to remedy soon.

As for this short play, it was good , worth one time read.
Ashish Manik
Short, simple and nostalgic!

Everything is implicitly yet so intricately portrayed by Tagore - Amal's innocence; his yearning to roam around and live in the outside world; his philosophy- childish yet wiser than the grown-ups; Sudha's unspoken love for him; his uncle's worries; and the peculiar characters of the watchman, the dairyman and Gaffer; all with a touch of the bookish Doctor's humour - this pastoral play will surely draw you in.
Nivedita Bansal
Jan 05, 2013 Nivedita Bansal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, short-stories
Its a lovely play where a little boy, who is ill and isn't allowed to go out, converses with random people who happen to pass by his window. A child has a natural state of being happy even in the extreme conditions and those around him also experience the same happiness and energy. We all have a child within us, if only, we keep that child alive, we would be much happier and content.

A short, simple and soothing read.
Goodreads Librari...: Combining book 2 10 May 24, 2014 10:17AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add this book 1 7 May 21, 2014 10:58AM
  • সাবাস প্রোফেসর শঙ্কু (Shonku, #3)
  • Abol Tabol: The Nonsense World of Sukumar Ray
  • ঠাকু'মার ঝুলি
  • চাচা কাহিনী
  • কালবেলা (অনিমেষ, #২)
  • Sultana's Dream
Awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1913 "because of his profoundly sensitive, fresh and beautiful verse, by which, with consummate skill, he has made his poetic thought, expressed in his own English words, a part of the literature of the West."

Tagore modernised Bengali art by spurning rigid classical forms and resisting linguistic strictures. His novels, stories, songs, dance-dramas, and ess
More about Rabindranath Tagore...

“Tell him Sudha has not forgotten him.” 5 likes
“The birds looked upon me as nothing but a man, quite a trifling creature without wings—and they would have nothing to do with me. Were it not so I would build a small cabin for myself among their crowd of nests and pass my days counting the sea waves.” 2 likes