Start by marking “Murder on the Lusitania (George Porter Dillman & Genevieve Masefield, #1)” as Want to Read:
Murder on the Lusitania (George Porter Dillman & Genevieve Masefield, #1)

Murder on the Lusitania (George Porter Dillman & Genevieve Masefield #1)

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  454 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
September 1907. George Porter Dillman sets sail from Liverpool on the Lusitania's maiden voyage. Hired by the ship's captain to pose as a passenger, George is in fact a private detective for the Cunard Line. In the first days of his voyage, George only has to deal with a few petty crimes. But then an expensive piece of jewelry is reported stolen and a body is found. Workin ...more
Published October 15th 2000 by Minotaur Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Murder on the Lusitania, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder on the Lusitania

Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth PetersThe Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. KingThe Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan BradleyMaisie Dobbs by Jacqueline WinspearMistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin
Favorite Historical Mystery Series
246th out of 779 books — 898 voters
The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall SmithCrocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth PetersThe Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha ChristieChocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukeA is for Alibi by Sue Grafton
Cozy Mystery Series
275th out of 687 books — 1,821 voters

More lists with this book...

Susan
Mar 29, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it
This is the first in a series of books written by Conrad Allen, a pseudonym used by Keith Miles. You may know him already by another pseudonym, that of Edward Marston, which he uses for many popular series, including that of the Railway Detective mysteries. This series features George Porter Dillman and the enigmatic and beautiful Genevieve Masefield and all are set aboard cruise ships in the heyday of the great liners. In order, the books are as follows:

1. Murder on the Lusitania (1999)
2. Murde
QNPoohBear
George Porter Dillman is sailing from Liverpool back to his native United States. On the train to Liverpool he meets a bunch of quirky characters including the Oxford-educated Cyril Weeks and the Rymer family: Mr., Mrs. and daughter Violet. Dillman sense some tension in the Rymer family and thinks the daughter is not enjoying her trip. On board the ship he's introduced to more quirky people: Jeremiah Erskine, a doom and gloom profit; Henry Barcroft, a brash, nosy journalist and the enigmatic Gen ...more
Hannah
Sep 25, 2011 Hannah rated it really liked it
A good, old-fashioned mystery set on the maiden voyage of the famous Lusitania from England to New York in 1907, Murder on the Lusitania certainly doesn't disappoint.

In the tradition of novels by Golden Age mystery writers like Christie and Marsh, we have an interesting and varied cast of characters/suspects, mostly restricted to the first class passengers, whom we're slowly introduced to. George Porter Dillman, our protagonist, is hired by the Cunard Line as an undercover detective and finds mo
Laura Edwards
Feb 10, 2016 Laura Edwards rated it liked it
A fun, fast read. Really more a 3.5. I've already ordered the next in the series. That said, "Murder on the Lusitania" will never be mistaken for great literature, but it's the perfect book to read when you are looking for lighter fare.

While the mystery itself was well done and the author gave us several plausible suspects to consider, the romance between George and Genevieve felt contrived. I like both characters, but I'm not sure what drew them together. Not surprising, however, since the boo
Stephanie
Sep 26, 2011 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
A completely delightful character study. Everyone's stuck on the same ship, so what else is there to do but people-watch? Everybody has secrets and it's fun to unearth all of them. Can't wait to see what's next!
Amy
May 30, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
Recommended to Amy by: Hannah
Murder on the Lusitania was a thoroughly enjoyable mystery, full of colorful and interesting characters, many of whom had at least something to hide. Conrad Allen's style is quite reminiscent of Agatha Christie's, and the setting was fairly Agatha-esque as well.

Although it took months for my local library to get this book for me via interlibrary loan, it was well worth the wait, and I'm looking forward to the second George Porter Dillman & Genevieve Masefield mystery.
Julie
Nov 16, 2014 Julie rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, british
George Dillman is a Boston detective who has been hired by the Cunard Line to work undercover preventing any trouble on the first sailing of the new ship Lusitania. He mingles with the first class passengers and uncovers little more than an illicit love affair and a couple of possible card cheats. However, a couple of attractive women and one very annoying freelance reporter catch his eye, and occupy some of his time until there is a murder. Following the murder there is a rash of burglaries, in ...more
Rose
Jun 01, 2013 Rose rated it it was ok
The editor of this book ought to be shot. There were so many typos and grammatical errors that the book was filled with penned in corrections written by the people who had checked the book out of the library before me.

The story itself was cliched and minimally engaging. I continue to search for more cleverly written historical mysteries.
Gordon
Apr 13, 2014 Gordon rated it liked it
I was pleasantly surprised by this story. I expected to find a simplistic semi-closed door mystery. The book is that but has several good characters and an excellent setting within an historical context.

I liked the Dillman character. It is somewhat refreshing to see an professional investigator at work, especially when his work needs to be done under the radar.

The language was more elegant and sophisticated than I expected. However, this aspect was seriously hurt by many spelling and grammatical
Saturday's Child
Oct 05, 2009 Saturday's Child rated it really liked it
A murder mystery without too much blood and very little gore. I loved that it was set on board such a historic ship
Elizabeth
The launch of a great new floating palace steamship was a very big deal in 1907. The Lusitania, the latest of these belonging to the famed Cunard lines is ready for it's maiden voyage across the North Atlantic and the ship is filled with passengers from all walks of life. While is it a symbol of peace and inter nation cooperation it was also built with wartime in mind. It could be converted to an arms bearing vessel without difficulty.

The Germans have been building up their navy at this time and
Nancy Oakes
In the tradition of classic crime novels, Murder on the Lusitania has no end of suspects. Of course, the action happens on a ship and there are separate "classes" of decks in which the "lower" passengers (sadly, this is how they are referred to here) cannot move to the upper levels, so finding the killer isn't such a tough job.

First in a series of books about mayhem on board the maiden voyages of famous ships, the hero is George Porter Dillman, who goes first class on the voyage, and he can min
Deborah Wright
Mar 03, 2015 Deborah Wright rated it liked it
I picked this book up for the setting (the maiden voyage of the Lusitania!). I found the writing rather perfunctory -- I felt like the author only ever skimmed the surface of the characters and rarely explored them in any depth -- and I was able to solve the murder as soon as it finally occurred (nearly half-way through the book). However, I enjoyed the glimpse of life aboard the Lusitania well enough to put the next book in the series on my to-read list.
Catsalive
Apr 12, 2015 Catsalive rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
3.5 - http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/1...

An enjoyable murder mystery. I won't go seeking future books, but I'd read them if they came my way. The dialogue was a bit stilted in places, which is surprising from such an old hand as Edward Marston (aka Conrad Allen). I daresay things improve in the following books & we get to know George Dillman & Genevieve Masefield better when they pair up in the future.
Jeanne
Apr 06, 2015 Jeanne rated it it was ok
When I discovered that "Dead Wake" had over 100 holds at my library, I checked out another book about the Lusitania. It was okay, nothing deep, just a clever gimmick for a cozy history/mystery. I look forward to something more substantial when my name comes up in the queue for Erik Larson's book.
Donna
May 08, 2014 Donna rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2014
Entertaining story in the style of the Golden Age mysteries. George Dillman is a former Pinkerton agent, now a detective for the Cunard line of cruise ships. Good for a light diversion and the price of $2.99 makes me happy to read another one in the series.
Sherry Mackay
Nov 22, 2015 Sherry Mackay rated it liked it
Another nice little British mystery that will occupy you for a short and pleasant few hours. I loved reading about the Lusitania I liked the main character which always helps. This was a classic mystery with no big dramas; no sex no drugs; nothing particularly unpleasant. Just a pleasant read.
Rusty
Nov 12, 2014 Rusty rated it really liked it
This is an entertaining mystery beginning in September, 1907 when the Lusitania sails her maiden voyage to New York. The hero is an American, George Porter Dillman. He is a detective who investigates professional gamblers and thieves. Traveling by train from Euston to Liverpool, Lime Street, Dillman senses that something is off kilter. Fascinated by by Violet, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Rymer he wonders what is going on. Violet is sad and listless which seems unlikely on an exciting trip on this n ...more
Erin
Jan 11, 2016 Erin marked it as abandoned
Picked this up after reading Dead Wake, but was disappointed to find out it takes place on the Lusitania's maiden voyage, not her last. DNF at p15. I have too many things I want to read more.
Alec Moody
Jul 17, 2016 Alec Moody rated it liked it
I've read a number of Edward Marston (aka Conrad Allen) books, especially the Railway Detective series, and I've always enjoyed them. I found this book very slow and full of superfluous detail. However, the plot was good and the historical setting was interseting.
Rachel Despins
The Lusitania has set sail (on her maiden voyage) for New York and George Porter Dillman is onboard as the ships undercover detective. Pretty soon a murder plus a series of thefts occur and it is up to Dillman to solve the crimes. Loved the setting of the story. Will definitely be continuing with this series!!
Rachel
Interesting plot & good cast of characters, especially the protagonists, though it suffers from being a first-in-series, intro-to-the-main-characters book.
Katy
Jun 20, 2012 Katy rated it really liked it
I read Conrad Allen's book Murder on the Minnesota as my first introduction to this series. I enjoyed it, but thought it was a little clunky. I didn't think I would try any of the rest of the series. Am I glad I changed my mind! This is a fun little mystery book that displays none of the clunkiness of scene and dialogue that would pop up in the third book of the series. I had a ton of fun reading it, even though I guessed the villains quite a ways before the great reveal. The best part was the e ...more
Kenneth Cook
Jul 25, 2015 Kenneth Cook rated it really liked it
Good engaging mystery - I have now read two books in his series and am starting a third.
Karen San Diego
Apr 26, 2014 Karen San Diego marked it as to-read
I want to read this book (by ebook) but I can't find it anywhere!
Trisha
Jul 27, 2009 Trisha rated it really liked it
I always enjoy murder mysteries and this was no exception.
The settiing is the maiden voyage of the Lusitania from Liverpool to New York (1907).
George Dillman has been hired by the ships captain to pose as a passenger - in fact he is a private detective for the Cunard Line.
He expects to have a few dealings with petty criminals, but events escalate - first the murder of a journalist, then thefts of jewellery and even a favmour Stradivarius violin.
There are suspects galore and the murderer/thief
Den
Feb 01, 2014 Den rated it it was amazing
I was surprised at how good this series started off
Anne Seebach
Sep 13, 2014 Anne Seebach rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good old-fashioned murder mystery, reminiscent of Christie.
Naomi
Feb 19, 2015 Naomi rated it it was ok
Predictable murder mystery.
  • The Ninth Daughter (Abigail Adams #1)
  • The Gilded Shroud (A Lady Fan Mystery #1)
  • Murder Your Darlings (An Algonquin Round Table Mystery #1)
  • Room with a Clue (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #1)
  • The War Against Miss Winter (Rosie Winter, #1)
  • Million Dollar Baby (A Marjorie McClelland Mystery, #1)
  • Anything Goes (Grace & Favor, #1)
  • Sweet Revenge (A Lady Arianna Regency Mystery, #1)
  • Mark of the Lion (Jade del Cameron Mysteries, #1)
  • The Queen's Head
  • Organize Your Corpses (A Charlotte Adams Mystery #1)
  • Miss Dimple Disappears (Miss Dimple Kilpatrick #1)
  • The Cold Light of Mourning (A Penny Brannigan Mystery #1)
  • Death on a Silver Tray (Beau Brummell, #1)
  • A Mystery of Errors (Shakespeare & Smythe, #1)
  • High Marks for Murder (Bellehaven House, #1)
  • Bellfield Hall (A Dido Kent Mystery, #1)
  • A Most Dangerous Woman (Sarah Tanner, #1)
A pseudonym used by Keith Miles
Keith Miles (born 1940) is an English author, who writes under his own name and also historical fiction and mystery novels under the pseudonym Edward Marston. He is known for his mysteries set in the world of Elizabethan theater. He has also written a series of novels based on events in the Domesday Book.

The protagonist of the theater series is Nicholas Bracewell, th
More about Conrad Allen...

George Porter Dillman & Genevieve Masefield (8 books)
  • Murder on the Mauretania (George Porter Dillman & Genevieve Masefield, #2)
  • Murder on the Minnesota (George Porter Dillman & Genevieve Masefield, #3)
  • Murder on the Caronia (George Porter Dillman & Genevieve Masefield, #4)
  • Murder on the Marmora (George Porter Dillman & Genevieve Masefield, #5)
  • Murder on the Salsette (George Porter Dillman & Genevieve Masefield, #6)
  • Murder on the Oceanic (George Porter Dillman & Genevieve Masefield, #7)
  • Murder on the Celtic (George Porter Dillman & Genevieve Masefield, #8)