Start by marking “The Book of Spirits (Herculine, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Book of Spirits (Herculine, #2)

The Book of Spirits (Herculine #2)

In his first novel, the national bestselling The Book of Shadows,James Reese beguiled readers with a boldly imaginative, darkly erotic tale of awakening that introduced the captivating and deeply unusual Herculine. Now this extraordinary writer continues Herculine's incredible journey of self-discovery -- a search that will lead her into a world of shadows and perils, wher ...more
Published August 9th 2005 by William Morrow (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Spirits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Spirits

Courtney Conant
Not as gripping as the first but slowly got better as I made my way through. Looking forward to reading the 3rd.
Michelle Staley
Apr 25, 2008 Michelle Staley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: have-read
This was a wonderful read if you like suspense with a dash of paranormal.
Oct 07, 2008 Sarah rated it it was ok
I liked how the book started out, I was curious to see where Herculine was off to after she left France. Though the book was fun to read it started to get a little slow for me, I had to really push myself to finish it. I can't say I particularly like how it ended - seemed like James Reese could have done without stretching it out so much. I may or may not read his next, The Witchery, depends on how desperate I am for reading.
Kenna
Jul 22, 2009 Kenna rated it did not like it
I couldnt finish this book. I have had maybe...five books in my life that I couldnt bring myself to finish and this was one. It was redundant and the entire storyline was just...unrealistic even for this author. In the first book, Book of Shadows, I thought of the main Char as a girl. I couldnt make the switch in this book, nor could I quite grasp the obsessions in this volume. This book made my head hurt and was all over the place. Skip it. The story should have ended with Shadows.
Ruth Phillips
Long, full of details that really don't add to the book. I had to make myself finish the book. I really wanted the book to be good. I wanted to know how the characters ended up.. but I was disappointed. At this point, I am not sure if I am even going to read the third book. And I hate that feeling.. but it takes so much to read these books... the writing is hard to get through.. honestly it is not worth the time or the effort
Lizy
Jun 18, 2016 Lizy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dark, read-in-2016
Giving up on page 245. This book started out so good but it just keeps going on and on and on and none of the characters are likeable imo. I just don't care. I tried. That's all I got.
Lisa
Nov 05, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it
So much better than the first I think; enjoyed this book. Some very interesting characters and plot lines woven with a background of history that I knew little about. great stuff!
Marissa
Oct 16, 2008 Marissa rated it it was amazing
Even better than the book of shadows. More ghosts, rites, & sex and more of that transgender protagonist who was so intriguing. I hope this author keeps going!!!
Jason
Dec 05, 2008 Jason rated it it was ok
The sequel to Reese's Book of Shadows, the plot just gets weirder in this one. Though I finished it, I won't be looking to pick up the third in the series...
Spooky
Spooky rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2011
Kaelin
Kaelin rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2015
James Reese
Mar 10, 2012 James Reese rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Donna Masnick
Donna Masnick rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2010
Acacia
Acacia rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2013
Jeni Nagakane
Jeni Nagakane rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2012
Hayley
Hayley rated it it was ok
Mar 27, 2008
Maggie
Maggie rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2011
Freddie
Freddie rated it really liked it
May 15, 2012
Hera
Hera rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2012
Mimi
Mimi rated it did not like it
Jun 20, 2009
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2014
Dayna
Dayna rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2012
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2013
Maria Ray
Maria Ray rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2012
Ivan
Ivan rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2011
Beth
Beth rated it it was ok
Sep 19, 2015
Jessica Lewis
Jessica Lewis rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2016
K
K rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2013
Alyssa
Alyssa rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2012
Jimmy
Jimmy rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2016
  • Whispers of the Moon: The Life and Work of Scott Cunningham
  • Mrs. Woolf and the Servants: An Intimate History of Domestic Life in Bloomsbury
  • Tallulah!: The Life and Times of a Leading Lady
  • Threads of Malice  (Dubric Bryerly, #2)
  • Illumination
  • Still House Pond (Copper Brown, #2)
  • Ward 81
  • Sins of the Seventh Sister
  • Haunted New Orleans: Ghosts & Hauntings of the Crescent City
  • At Home with the Queen
  • Forbidden books of the original New Testament
  • Inside the Wardrobe of Anne Boleyn
  • Voodoo Queen: The Spirited Lives of Marie Laveau
  • Madame Lalaurie, Mistress of the Haunted House
  • Extraordinary Voyages: Around the World in Eighty Days, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Seas
  • A Silent Ocean Away: Colette's Dominion
  • The Tree Show
  • Ice Song
James Reese was born on eastern Long Island. He attended the University of Notre Dame and the State University of NY at Stony Brook, where he received an MA in Theatre. As an undergraduate, he had a play staged off-Broadway at the Actors Repertory Theatre. While living in New York, New Orleans and Key West, Reese held various jobs in the non-profit sector, working on behalf of the arts and the ...more
More about James Reese...

Herculine (3 books)
  • The Book of Shadows (Herculine, #1)
  • The Witchery (Herculine, #3)