An Outrageous Affair

An Outrageous Affair

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  677 ratings  ·  49 reviews
The latest dramatic bestseller by Overlook's most popular author Penny Vincenzi?there are over 500,000 copies of Penny's books in print in the U.S., and millions more worldwide!
A mysterious, tragic accident in the 1950s. An inexplicable suicide twenty years later. What was the strange link between the two?and Caroline Hunterton's long-buried past? A secret which could no...more
Published September 1st 2009 by Overlook (first published 1993)

Psirene
I found this book tedious to read. I have enjoyed Vincenzi's trilogy and other novels but this book was trashier and led to disapointment. The scandal referred to in the title is hinted at through out the novel but only emergeds in detail at the end. The novel is the story of Caroline and her daughters Chloe and Fleur and the men that they love. The only likeable characters are three men that play supporting roles in the dramatic lives of the women characters, Jack, Caroline's groom, Ruebin, Fle...more
Merty
I finally finished this book that seemed like it was taking forever
t o get to the end. But the ending was very rewarding.
It certainly was a soap opera but Penny V. kept it all in stride and
interesting each time I picked up the book.
One certainly has to be in the mood for this type of book, as it
is very wordy but the characters kept it all interesting in that I wanted to find out where this was all taking me to the end.
I will definately read another P.V. book!
Jody
Nothing makes me more crazy than when an author takes 624 pages in tiny typeface to say what could have been written in 200 pages or less. By page 300, I was completely bored, yet too far into the book to give up. Vincenzi does have the gift of dangling a tantalizing conflict to make you keep reading, but by page 500, I didn't really care anymore. I just wanted it to be over. My advice? Don't bother. The end did not justify the long meandering means of this book.
Melissa Kayden
I generally love Vincenzi's books, but this one was not one of my favorites. It seemed to me that she was trying to make the story more involved than it needed to be to be good. I didn't really find any of the characters likable - not even the protaganists. I was pretty disappointed by this one, but will continue reading her books since I have loved the others.
This is supposed to be a page-turning family saga but by about page 100 I didn't care about any of the characters or where the story was going. So I have abandoned it. There doesn't seem to be a Goodreads category for that.
Regina
Without giving away too many details, I'll simply say I loved this book. It has everything: romance (ill-fated of course), historical context, English Theatre as well as Hollywood ties, an illegitimate daughter... Very high drama, in depth characters, a mysterious death; just marvelous! Can't wait to sink my teeth into more by this author!
ireadnovels.wordpress.com
Although Penny Vincenzi writes very long novels, I always manage to read them untill the end. It may take me a long time to read one of her books but I really love her stories. I have read many of her books.
Aislinn
Not one of my favourite books by penny vincenzi but it was still captivating and interesting. The title made people think I was reading an erotic novel though.....
As all of her books do, this story drew me right in. It is a family drama that starts during WWII and spans over a couple of generations. I was not particularly fond of any one character, each had their own redeeming points by the end of the book. It was interesting to see the effects if certain decisions people made effecting their children even years later. I would highly recommend this book, but do not expect it to be a quick read. Worth the time though.
Maxine
I liked this one. The characters were interesting, even if the plot was not quite as outrageous as it purported to be. Intriguing in the concept that long-ago actions can affect so many lives even years later. I enjoyed this book much more than than the last book I read by this author, but it still couldn't compare with my two favorites by Penny Vincenzi; "No Angel" and "Something Dangerous"
Jo
Very 80s blockbuster! I took a long time to read this book, because it didn't engage me. The characters were rather two dimensional and the plot was all too predictable. I read a couple of Penny Vincenzi's earlier novels back in the 80s and enjoyed them. I think my taste in novels has changed drastically since then, but it was nice to tap into a bit of nostalgia!
Idgy
I quite enjoyed reading this dishy drama. Lots of back-and-forth across the Atlantic though, and that part got a little tiresome. Everyone in the book was super-glamorous, and that was a bit of a problem. Overall, though, this is a nice one if you'd rather not do too much thinking; it was kinda clear who-done-it long before the reveal.
Kate
This is a good book by Vincenzi. I have read several of her other novels. The characters were great and very well developed. The plot was super detailed spanning three decades but at times the story seemed to drag a bit. It started at the end of world war 2 in England with an ill fated affair.
Virginia Albanese
This is well written and sort of a mystery which means pages and pages leading up to "mystery" and all wrapped up in three pages. Out of all the characters in the book and there were many I didn't have much if any sympathy for any other than Ruben. What a bunch of egotistical jerks.
Jan
Kind of a mindless read. An English woman has a baby with an American flyer in WWII and then sends the baby to live with him. Long and rambling. He becomes a a two bit actor. She has other children and one daughter marries a big homosexual actor that is knighted.........OK
Heather
I remember loving this when I first read it but this time, well... it was okay. Caroline made me crazy half the time. So did all the female characters, actually. Joe and Reuben were great guys - maybe she's better at writing men than women?
Alli Poirot
i actually stopped reading this book a few chapters from the end. i got taken up by other things (books and otherwise) and was kind of bored with the characters and their endless drama by then. sorry penny! maybe i've reached my vincenzi limit.
Emma
Read it by the pool on holiday - enjoyed it a lot, even though I didn't really like many of the characters. Pure chick book for by the pool, but a bit meatier. Nice twists in it. Not totally predictable like a lot of romantic fiction.
Joanne
Good story line, great twist and ending, lot's of detail. I liked it's thoroughness in tying up the ends. But I didn't like how all the characters were SOOO gorgous and perfect and everyone had the most AMAZING sex all the time.
Deb
Anachronisms galore, no understanding of american culture or language - I wonder why this woman bothers to write about the US. She has a character appearing in "A Streetcar Named Desire" eight years before it was written.
Diana Aylott
I have enjoyed Penny Vincenzi's books in the past but this was a disappointment - why on earth did she make it three times as long as it should have been? I am almost half way through and am too bored to continue.
Georgia Gargano
I really enjoyed this book. It is a love story and tells of the many tradegies suffered by all the people whose lives were affected by it. There are many twists and turns,scandels, and adventures.
Enjoy
Kristin Strong
Too much extraneous action hung on a rather skinny plot and gazillions of characters to keep track of. This took WAY longer than it should have to get through. Still juicy stuff, though, and I enjoyed it.
Karen
This is one great author. Her books always deal with a rich London based family and all their ins & outs. This book was a bit "trashier" than her others and a big dis-jointed at times but still a good read.
Nicole
I find Vincenzi's novels to be fun--there are so many characters that she lists them at the beginning, and lengthy, drawn-out plots. They last a while, so are good escapist fiction.
Sherry
a real soap opera, and a great beach book.

billed as an inside look at Hollywood, thru the stories of Brendan and Piers. and the effects thru the years on their families.

Georgia Gargano
This is a long book but worth it. It is a love story that twists and turns involving many people's lives. It has heartbreaks, loves, scandals, betrayal etc. Never a dull moment.
Teresa
I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as some of her other books. I found the characters less sympathetic and the story just a little too long and drawn out. Still, not a bad read.
Theresa
Not the best book of Penny's. I liked that there was a little bit of cross over between this book and Windfall, but it dragged horribly. So glad to have finished it.
Colleen
This is one of my favorites by this author. The author does a great job of tieing up all the loose ends at the end of the story. I definitely recommend.
  • Secrets
  • Someone Special
  • The Man Who Made Husbands Jealous (Rutshire Chronicles, #4)
  • Two Women
  • The Mallen Litter
  • The Potter's House
  • Original Sin
  • Act of Will
I'm currently taking part in a Q&A Group here on Goodreads to discuss my latest novel, Sheer Abandon . To post questions, please visit: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/4.... I look forward to an active discussion together.

I was nine years old when I embarked on my storytelling career. I wrote my own magazine called “Stories”, which I copied out three times on carbon paper and sold for two...more
More about Penny Vincenzi...
No Angel (The Spoils of Time, #1) Something Dangerous (The Spoils of Time, #2) Into Temptation (The Spoils of Time, #3) The Best Of Times Sheer Abandon

“From the very beginning it seemed very clear to her that if you were going to succeed in life you succeeded on your own terms, in your own style, you capitalized on your own strengths, you learnt to camouflage your own weaknesses and you didn’t get caught up in anyone else’s. And Fleur was going to succeed.” 0 likes