Start by marking “The Beast and the Sovereign, Volume I” as Want to Read:
The Beast and the Sovereign, Volume I

The Beast and the Sovereign, Volume I

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  79 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
When he died in 2004, Jacques Derrida left behind a vast legacy of unpublished material, much of it in the form of written lectures. With The Beast and the Sovereign, Volume 1, the University of Chicago Press inaugurates an ambitious series, edited by Geoffrey Bennington and Peggy Kamuf, translating these important works into English.

The Beast and the Sovereign, Volume 1 l
Published November 21st 2011 by University Of Chicago Press (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Beast and the Sovereign, Volume I, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beast and the Sovereign, Volume I

Billy Dean
May 29, 2013 Billy Dean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Derrida can be a trying read. And I'm sure he would appreciate the metynomy of that last sentence. Reading this volume in conjunction with my "Early Modern Political Philosophy" course was highly rewarding. His writing [as always] can be frustrating at times, but there are flashes of genius and even moments of [surprising] clarity. Persevere! I found that it was worth the effort.
Kristi Caudill
May 08, 2013 Kristi Caudill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! The topics were incredibly dense, but the text was taken from Derrida's lectures. This format allowed it more accessibility. The man is a genius.
Oct 16, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's Derrida, so be warned. After The Animal..., this is an interesting continuation of his auto-zoo-bio-graphic pursuit. He focuses on the philological and philosophical histories of "the beast" (and all its French cognates) as well as the image of "the sovereign" - with a nod to logocentrism - and a creepy/cool meditation on marionettes. It's been very useful to me, but as always, the more times I read something of Derrida's, the better I understand.
Aliya
Jan 10, 2016 Aliya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While the expected difficulty of a text by Derrida is present, there are added challenges as it is a seminar transcription. Therefore, it is looser and wanders much more than Derrida's published books. Nevertheless, it is excellent and offers great insights into, amongst other topics, the question of the animal.
Burc Kostem
Burc Kostem marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Ahmed
Ahmed marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Penny Aoi
Penny Aoi marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
David Jardine
David Jardine marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Greengoliath
Greengoliath rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2016
Lava_Bombs
Lava_Bombs marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Janelle-Simone
Janelle-Simone marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Yanfeng Liu
Yanfeng Liu rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2016
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Royce Dendler
Royce Dendler marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Jamie Haser
Jamie Haser marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Kristian
Kristian marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Sorina Lupsa
Sorina Lupsa marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Woodenpoet
Woodenpoet marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Andrea M. Jandernoa
Andrea M. Jandernoa rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Anne E Ronan
Anne E Ronan marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015
Adam Benden
Adam Benden marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2015
Lorelei
Lorelei is currently reading it
Dec 10, 2015
Jason
Jason is currently reading it
Nov 29, 2015
Nolan Ridley
Nolan Ridley is currently reading it
Nov 27, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Duane Diehl
Duane Diehl marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Malia Transue
Malia Transue marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Brendan Holly
Brendan Holly marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
  • The Weakness of God: A Theology of the Event
  • When Species Meet
  • The Metastases of Enjoyment: On Women and Casuality
  • The Hermeneutics of the Subject: Lectures at the Collège de France, 1981-82
  • From Nature to Creation: A Christian Vision for Understanding and Loving Our World
  • Slavoj Žižek
  • Deconstruction and Criticism
  • The differend: Phrases in dispute
  • The Antinomies of Realism
  • Kafka: Toward a Minor Literature
  • The Devil Reads Derrida - and Other Essays on the University, the Church, Politics, and the Arts
  • Structuralist Poetics: Structuralism, Linguistics and the Study of Literature
  • The Democratic Paradox
Jacques Derrida was the founder of “deconstruction,” a way of criticizing not only both literary and philosophical texts but also political institutions. Although Derrida at times expressed regret concerning the fate of the word “deconstruction,” its popularity indicates the wide-ranging influence of his thought, in philosophy, in literary criticism and theory, in art and, in particular, architect ...more
More about Jacques Derrida...