Start by marking “Iraqi Women: Untold Stories from 1948 to the Present” as Want to Read:
Iraqi Women: Untold Stories from 1948 to the Present

Iraqi Women: Untold Stories from 1948 to the Present

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  25 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Nadje al-Ali challenges the myths and misconceptions which have dominated debates about Iraqi women, bringing a much needed gender perspective to bear on a central political issue of our time. She traces the political history of Iraq from post-colonial independence, to the emergence of a women's movement in the 1950s and Saddam Hussein's early policy of state feminism. The ...more
Published February 12th 2007 by Zed Books

To ask other readers questions about Iraqi Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Iraqi Women

Nadia
This is a really great book on many levels.

It's really weird for me to think that at this time Iraq has largely faded from public discourse. Since 1990, and as long as I'd been paying attention to politics for sure, it had been the subject of fear, of containment, of violence and constant debates in global and American policy. We talk about other places now.

At the time of the 2003 war and when this book was published I think there were two main points of rhetoric that came up WRT Iraq and women
Emily
The book is biased and contradicts itself in many places. While Al-Ali claims to get views from a wide variety of Iraqi women most interviews are with upper middle class, secular educated women. She also contradicts herself in many places, especially when speaking of the March 2003 invasion of Iraq and its aftermath.
Theodora
Feb 11, 2009 Theodora marked it as to-read
Shelves: books09, islam, politics, shia
This was the best book we read in my class this quarter (so far). I echo the comment that there shd be less describing and more space for the women to talk -- but I appreciate al-Ali bringing her own story into the mix.
Sister Janet
Sister Janet marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Monique
Monique is currently reading it
Apr 18, 2015
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
sara
sara marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Omnia Abbas
Omnia Abbas marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Erin Larocque
Erin Larocque marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Agata
Agata marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Carter
Carter marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Fatima
Fatima marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Hamza
Hamza marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Naranj
Naranj marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Melinda
Melinda marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Diala Amal
Diala Amal marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Iris Iris
Iris Iris marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
What Kind of Liberation?: Women and the Occupation of Iraq We Are Iraqis: Aesthetics and Politics in a Time of War (Contemporary Issues in the Middle East) Gender Writing / Writing Gender Women and War in the Middle East: Transnational Perspectives Secularism, Gender and the State in the Middle East: The Egyptian Women's Movement