Start by marking “The Plan (Roads Less Traveled, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Plan (Roads Less Traveled, #1)

The Plan (Roads Less Traveled #1)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  194 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Ask yourself this: If the dead rise tomorrow, are you ready? Do you have a plan? The dead rose, and the living quickly realized that Hollywood-style tactics were the quickest way to find yourself one of the walking dead. Kasey, a strong-willed loner from West Virginia, and Ben, a college student from Pennsylvania, have shared an unlikely friendship over the years. And thei ...more
Published August 30th 2011 by Permuted Press (first published August 24th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Plan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Plan

The First Days by Rhiannon FraterFighting to Survive by Rhiannon FraterSiege by Rhiannon FraterHollowland by Amanda HockingFeed by Mira Grant
Best Female Writers of Zombie Fiction
51st out of 180 books — 440 voters
14 by Peter ClinesBeyond Exile by J.L. BourneThe Infection by Craig DiLouieDay by Day Armageddon by J.L. BourneJohn Dies at the End by David Wong
Permuted Press
44th out of 123 books — 52 voters

More lists with this book...

Kami
This is the 1st book in a good while where I actually finished the book and wanted to go right back to the beginning and read it all over again. If it hadnt been 4:30am when I finished reading, I just might have done that.

There were a few things that bothered me. I am going to go and re-read just to make sure I didnt read so fast that I missed some stuff. I have no idea what some of these people look like, or how old they are. I know that most of Jake and Ben's crew is in college, and that Zack
Felicia A
YAYYY! Another editing project is now a published book and available for purchase. You don't want to miss Roads Less Traveled: The Plan by C. Dulaney.

By the way, I will be editing the sequel soon!
Eva Leger
I waited over two months to review this book and now I've forgotten most of what I wanted to say. I hate leaving a general review but it just can't be helped here.
I'll start with the cover - I don't like it. The three portrayed don't look - to me - anything like how they look in my mind. They don't fit at all, even if I stretch my imagination. I really like when a cover with characters on it shows the characters as they're shown in the book. It doesn't actually take away from the book for me whe
Patrick D'Orazio
Roads Less Traveled: The Plan tells the story of Kasey, a young woman living in the mountains of West Virginia, and a group of students from Pennsylvania coping with the initial days of the zombie apocalypse. Kasey and Ben, one of the students, have been corresponding over the internet for years, though they've never met face to face. While there are no real details as to how they stumbled onto one another, it isn't difficult to surmise that they connected via one message board or another that w ...more
Rbjumbob
The author had a very good flow to the writing and the book was very easy to read. I've read a great many of the zombie books and this was an enjoyable read. The three stars rating is due to the lack of several ideas that are common to the science fiction realm of zombies. One of which is conserving ammo in real life unless it's absolute like and death I believe people would conserve ammo during the absolute minimum of firing weapons as there is no Walmart to buy more ammo. What was good about t ...more
Diane
DNF. One dimensional unlikable characters that constantly make stupid decisions that put them in danger, coupled with immature, bland dialogue. I hope they ALL got eaten by the zombies.
Noel Quincy
I like Zombie books, they are mostly pretty terrible, but every now and then you find one that is just plain good.

What I like most about this book is something very simple but rarely seen in others, and it is that

Although bad stuff happens and tough decision must be made, no one does anything so suicidal(y) stupid, that you actively root for them to die
Wordsmith Long
This was a superior entry in the "Zombie Apocalypse" genre, with compelling, believable characters and a plot that was, all things considered, very high on realism. I had a blast, and am moving on to the second book.

(It should be noted that most zombie-centric books leave me cold, so this surprised me by being a lot of fun.)
Clyde Wolfe
The world has gone into chaos. Zombies out of seemingly nowhere. Kasey isn't a typical woman, she's prepared for the hordes of undead sweeping across the nation. In the "safety" of her home in the West Virginian mountains, Kasey hunkers down and awaits the arrival of her friends as they brave the miles to reach her and sanctuary.
This isn't your typical zombie fare, it's even better. It IS full of the undead, shambling about in search of warm flesh. But C. Dulaney really brings out the personal i
This was a surprisingly good book. I got it as an audible book, and I almost thought I was going to have to return it when she started off having the main character having been spending years preparing for a zombie apocalypse, it just seemed silly.
But I gave it a good hour of listening and was hooked. In particular I liked that (at least so far in the series) she skipped the HOW of the infection, and just dove right in with the reaction and survival of the characters.
I find seeing how characte
Lana
One of my favorite zombie books! The story grabbed me right away and I appreciated that the characters started out with a well thought out Z-Plan. I especially liked the smart, self-sufficient and tough lead female character and loved the setting for the story. I actually listened to this on Audible and also bought the Kindle edition so I could read it when I didn't have Audible available to me...I was so involved in the story that I didn't want to put it down. Just about to start on the newly r ...more
Huarachez Intelectualez
Im not sure why anyone would have a plan for a Zombie Apocalypse unless they know something. How messed up in the head must you be to not want to know how your family is? Kasey makes a trip to a town where she knows her family is but will not attempt to find out if they are okay or not. Story is not perfect but it keeps you wanting to read more. I'm not sure that revenge is reason enough for me to want to read Book #2. $$-SPOILER-$$, Everyone that Kasey cared for the most lived till the end with ...more
Thomas Wolfenden
Loved it! The story sucked me right in, and couldn't put it down! I finished it in about a day and a half... I'm looking forward to reading more of this series!
David Redding
So amazingly bad.
Robert
I liked this book. I had put off listening to this series for some time; not sure why, wasn't in the mood I guess. Turns out it's not bad as far as zombie tales go. Your default group of survivors making their way through the apocalypse, fighting zombies of course and other not-so-nice survivors. Two of the group are captured by a gang of escaped prisoners at the end of book one. Looks like book two will focus on getting the captives back and eliminating the gang. Should be interesting.
Heidi Frese
I had a really tough time keeping moving on this book. The first half was pretty dull. I forced myself to finish it when we got snowed in. Overall, not terribly impressed. So-so writing, nothing imaginative about the story or characters. It feels like something I could have written. Yet, five minutes after I finished it I'm looking up the sequel on Amazon. I have a sickness.
Faye
a cracker of a zombie book , starts with a bang and lots of screaming .... Z day is here!!!!!! Kasey has a plan to survive this with some friends and they are going to do all it takes to survive the zombie apocalypse. Really enjoyed this book , can't wait for part 2.. a worthy collection to my Zombie shelves alongside Joe McKinney etc
Joel
Feb 06, 2013 Joel rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: horror
Generic zombie book with generic scenarios and generic non-character characters. It was a quick and easy read, sure, but the characters were so bland that it was difficult to care, empathize, or root for any of them. I guess it had a decent body count, but, then again, that's pretty par for the course for a zombie story.
Rosann
Interestingly enough, this was a really good book. Started off with a BAM and kept up with that till end of book. Felt bad for Ben though... but when you hook up with a self centered, selfish, thinks only of themselves well, really no good is gonna come out of it, and he paid.

I think I will read book 2
elmansays
It would be totally a different experience if some characters didn't die that early. Killing charming characters was a let down, losing some readers interest, however it felt dragging if one continues to finish reading the story.
Shanah Davis
Loved this series. A lot of real time, day by day events and thoughts make up the most of this book which makes it intimate. I got to know the characters and cared about what happened to them. Recommend!
Grep
Not bad at all, pretty fast read, looking forward to the next book. Kasey is a strong interesting main strong female lead.
Tom
This took ages to slog through. Didn't feel a connection to any of the characters.
Craythur
I quite liked this. At 99cents it was a great deal to. I'm looking forward to the sequel.
Tony
Great book, can't wait for the next one.
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Adrienne
Adrienne is currently reading it
Dec 08, 2014
Bradley Wees
Bradley Wees marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
  • New Zed Order: Survive
  • The Undead Situation (Undead, #1)
  • Among the Living
  • Dead Tropics
  • The Gathering Dead (The Gathering Dead, #1)
  • The Last Mailman: Neither Rain, Nor Sleet, Nor Zombies
  • Rotter World
  • Lakewood Memorial
  • The Tilian Virus
  • Sunrise
  • Soldier On (Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse, #2)
  • Area 187: Almost Hell
  • The Dead
Besides being an avid reader, I'm the author of the Roads Less Traveled series: The Plan, Murphy's Law, Shades of Gray, and Phoenix.
More about C. Dulaney...
Murphy's Law (Roads Less Traveled, #2) Shades of Gray (Roads Less Traveled #3) Phoenix: A Roads Less Traveled Novel Roads Less Traveled: The Plan