Start by marking “The Stainless Steel Rat Wants You” as Want to Read:
The Stainless Steel Rat Wants You

The Stainless Steel Rat Wants You (Stainless Steel Rat (Chronological Order) #7)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  4,893 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Save the galaxy from destruction!

Slippery Jim diGriz - the Stainless Steel Rat - is still recovering from his efforts to save his beloved Angelina from the notorious Interstellar Internal and External Revenue when he is called upon to perform the impossible. Saving the galaxy. But can he pull it off? The galaxy is being attacked by every kind of alien race - untold billion
Published 1979 by Sphere Books Limited (first published September 4th 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Stainless Steel Rat Wants You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stainless Steel Rat Wants You

Wanda
I started this book this week because I had the post-Xmas-vacation blues really badly and needed something to make me smile. There was more than enough silliness in this book to achieve my aim.

Just like in War of the Worlds, Earth is being menaced by cephalopods of all shapes, sizes and degrees of sliminess. James Bolivar DiGriz (Slippery Jim, the Stainless Steel Rat) is called upon by the Special Corps once again to save the universe! First he has to break his sons out of jail, rescue his wife
deilann
Originally posted on SpecFic Junkie.

If you've read any of my other Stainless Steel Rat reviews, you'll know the drill: this is larger-than-life, over-the-top pure skiffy goodness that's a self-aware parody of Golden Age Science Fiction. Needless to say, though, they have their problems. This one is one of the more problematic books in the series due to the way it's handled, however, it didn't ruin the enjoyment... at least for me.

When I say it's over-the-top, I'm talking dialogue that's way too
Carl V.
James Bolivar diGriz, alias “Slippery Jim” is no longer a stainless steel rat in the wainscoting of society…well, at least he is no longer solely a stainless steel rat. Though his thieving ways are not yet behind him, Jim diGriz is firmly entrenched as the top agent in the Special Corps, that feared branch of the law headed by the most notorious criminal of all time, Harold P. Inskipp.

When his wife is kidnapped by the revenue service out of their current home on the planet Blodgett, Slippery Jim
Thom
The fourth book originally published in the Stainless Steel Rat series, this one has plenty of humor and a plot that bounces around a bit.

Angela is kidnapped by the galactic IRS, then rescued by the Rat and their sons, James and Bolivar. Then Slippery Jim is waylaid into finding out why a satellite full of admirals disappeared, and uses time travel (again) to help. This takes our heroes across the galaxy and eventually to the home world of the evil Gray Men, Kekkonshiki. Whew!

In this tale we con
Andreas
SciFi humor. I quite enjoyed the first five books or so, but in the end the laughter starts wearing thin. I gave up after “The Stainless Steel Rat Goes to Hell”. Those I have read are:

The Stainless Steel Rat
The Stainless Steel Rat Gets Drafted
The Stainless Steel Rat Goes to Hell

Quinn
by Quinn

The Stainless Steel Rat Wants You, is one of those books where you never really stop reading it even if you aren't literally reading it at the time. The rating I would give it is eight and five sixths, it didn’t make it to nine because it wasn’t entirely interesting the whole time, but I suppose all books are like that so I guess I’ll never be entirely happy. The main character is very relatable, he’s a witty ex-criminal named Slippery Jim De’griz who still resents the government even
Valerie
As a child, I enjoyed the Stainless Steel Rat books, and I probably would still enjoy the earlier books in the series. This one, however, I had serious problems with.

One important principle that James Bolivar ('Slippery Jim') diGriz has always held firm on is never to kill anyone. Not anybody. Not ever. Not for any reason. One of the reasons he had problems with his beloved Angelina at first was that she DIDN'T accept this absolute prohibition.

In this book, a senseless exception is proposed: if
Phillip Hall
I absolutely fell in love with the Stainless Steel Rat series. They are goofy, fast paced, and humorous sci-fi books. It was my first introduction to Harry Harrison and also my first time ever reading a comedic sci-fi book. I loved both of them immediately.
Simon Forward
My version of this book doesn’t include an exclamation mark after the title, but it feels like it should have one. It’s maybe the daftest adventure in the series but it’s also the boldest.

To date the League universe has been devoid of aliens, so Harrison kicks off by remedying that – and then some. He could have settled for introducing one alien species as the sworn enemy of the human race, but no, he pushes every boat out and makes sure the galaxy is suitably swamped by an invasion force of cou
Vintage and fun! But a little uncomfortable for Japanophiles.

There is a planet called Kekkonshiki, which means marriage in Japanese. On this planet live people called the gray men, who can use machines to manipulate people's memories by creating new memories or deleting present ones. Their culture is very Nazi-like, with schools being used to teach propaganda that Kekkonshiki-ans are the master race and they will use their survival skills to conquer the universe (they were abandoned on an icy in
Kat  Hooper
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

I’ve been enjoying Harry Harrison’s Stainless Steel Rat series, especially the superb audio versions produced by Brilliance Audio. Slippery Jim DiGriz is a con artist who’s been forced to work undercover for the Special Corps, an intergalactic investigating agency. Each of these short novels starts with him (and now his family, too) hiding out from the Special Corps and living it up on other taxpayers’ money. Each time, the Special Corps traps him and send
Roger
I agree with those who find the Stainless Steel Rat hilarious once again. Stereotypical slimy, tentacled, eye-stalked aliens are more funny than scary. Human infiltrators cavorting around in rubber monster suits? Slippery Jim's latest capers highlight the show along with irreverent dialog. Great. Up to a point. Did anyone notice that the author crossed a serious line in his otherwise amusing banter? When I read the faux pas, I couldn't believe it. The Morality Corps boss being made fun of was na ...more
Linda I
Slippery Jim DiGriz is off on another interstellar adventure. This time, the Special Corps needs him to save the human galaxy from invading aliens. With the help of his now adult twin sons and his beautiful, and cunning, wife Angelina, Slippery Jim is able to infiltrate the alien ranks and undermine their masterminds. Unfortunately, success is not quite in reach when the Morality Corps, a super secret group that, apparently, has more authority than the Special Corps, continuously disapproves of ...more
Norman Felchle
Pretty darned cool, fun stuff. I don't see why these stories aren't movies.
The end started to scare me and I thought I'd have to throw the book against the wall for getting lazy and dumb....but, then it saved itself at the last minute.

Whew....
Isaac Clarke
დროში მოგზაურობა და პარალელური სამყაროები მომაბეზრებელია უკვე.

გავიგეთ წინა წიგნში და გაასწორა და ახლა ყველა პრობლემაზე დროის მანქანის ჩართვა უკვე მეგოიმება.

3.5 ქაჩავს მხოლოდ იმიტომ რომ ჯეიმსი და ბოლივარი არიან ძალიან კარგი პერსონაჟები.
The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon)
The adventures of a Stainless Steel Rat? You mean intergalactic superthief right? Well, sort of, at least he thinks so.

I read this a long time ago but still remember it. Harry Harrison manages to keep his sense of humor intact as he tells the adventures and misadventures of the Stainless Steel Rat, intergalactic thief.

THis is a cleaner (tighter?) story than "Bill the Galactic Hero" (also Harrison) and more of a pure story than satire (like A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Asprin). It's a fun
Nai Wang
Fun adventures! Love the series and characters and Time Travel nonsense!
East Bay J
Vival la Rat! Another rollicking chapter in Harrison’s Stainless Steel Rat series, The Stainless Steel Rat Wants You keeps up the pace and the quality. Slippery Jim sure seems to drink a lot more in this one. Maybe it’s a sign of his maturity. His sons play a role for the first time and the lovely Angelina is ever present and ever capable. The comedy is as well done as the action and the pacing is excellent. I’m definitely glad I decided to re-read this series. It’s been a real treat.
Nilya
No idea where that description came from. The Slippery Jim adventure I read...errr...listened to (great narration Phil Gigante) saw Angelina kidnapped/arrested by the intergalactic IRS. The twins helping their papa with the rescue. And the. Whole fam heading into unexplored space to infiltrate an alien armada. James saves the day - naturally. There's punchy one liners, time travel, a brief stint in a parallel universe, a visit from J Hova, and the origins of the Gray Men are reveled.
Бранимир Събев
Всички извънземни в Галактиката са се обединили в смазващ алианс, чиято единствена цел е унищожаване на човешкия род, всички хомо сапиенси трябва да бъдат избити до крак! Горките извънземни, те не предполагат, че Джим ди Гриз и неговата Анджелина горят от желание да им покажат това-онова. Откъде биха могли да знаят, че синовете на Стоманения Плъх току-що са завършили военна гимназия и са нахъсани още повече и от родителите си?
Eric Lawson
Slippery Jim is up against his most dangerous enemy ever. The Taxman! The Interstellar Internal & External Revenue has his wife and he has to rescue her. Oh and there's an alien invasion to sort out also.

A fun book, and with Jim and Angelina's twin sons now teenagers they join their parents on the adventure. Four of the diGriz family on the case means four times the adventure.

Nigel
I read the Stainless Steel Rat series when I was a kid, and thoroughly enjoyed it (I couldn't resist it since I was also a 2000AD reader, where the Stainless Steel Rat was given the graphic serialisation treatment). I'm giving it 3 stars because I suspect that if I re-read the series today I wouldn't be quite so captivated. Great stuff for younger sci-fi fans though.
Steven Stennett
My youth was spent reading these books! I thought the main character was so cool!
Erik Graff
Apr 28, 2011 Erik Graff rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Harrison fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
I'd read Harrison's Deathworld books as a kid and picked this up remembering how much I'd enjoyed them--in grade school! I was disappointed, but then again my tastes had changed. This novel and this series are bits of fluff, not to be taken seriously, but entertaining, even funny, sometimes.
Matt Heavner
Same attitude.. I fun fast "read"/listen. The narrator is great and adds to the attitude/humor/feel of the book. There is the straight-ahead action, first-person narrative. This book does have a few fun twists with they gray-men and the "morality leaders". Fun in an adolescent way.
Tommy Verhaegen
Top. Witty. Fast action.
Jason Young
When I read this the first time when I was a young teenager I thought this series was awesome. After many years and re-reading it, I realize it is only good. Still, I am giving it 5 stars since that was my initial reaction when I first read it.
Liz
Read like Terry Pratchett (a funny fantasy writer), was very entertaining. Except for the one part were the author obviously is getting on a soapbox about capital punishment, there was no reason for it to be in the library's discarded books sale.
Velveeta
standard ssr fare - slippery jim sets out to rescue his angelina and ends up saving the universe again! the adventures of the rat and his family are enjoyable light brain candy and not meant to be taken serious, and never should they be!
Heather
Funniest thing ever. A total potato-chip book, and it doesn't take a bunch of brain cells to read, but it's good for a laugh. Who else has champagne in their emergency survival kit but Jim DiGriz? NO ONE!
  • With Friends Like These...
  • Time Travellers Strictly Cash (Callahan's Series, #2)
  • Tactics of Mistake (Childe Cycle, #4)
  • Mort: A Discworld Big Comic
  • The Leaky Establishment
  • Far Horizons: All New Tales from the Greatest Worlds of Science Fiction
  • 100 Great Science Fiction Short Short Stories
  • Steven Moffat's Doctor Who 2010: The Critical Fan's Guide to Matt Smith's First Series (Unauthorized)
  • The Mammoth Book of New Comic Fantasy
  • Phule's Company (Phule's Company, #1)
  • The Complete Peanuts, 1955-1958
  • Shield
  • My Name is Legion
  • MAD's Greatest Artists: The Completely MAD Don Martin
  • My Favorite Fantasy Story
  • Galactic Patrol (Lensman, #3)
  • Requiem for a Ruler of Worlds (Alacrity FitzHugh & Hobart Floyt, #1)
  • Crashlander

Harry Harrison (born Henry Maxwell Dempsey) was an American science fiction author best known for his character the The Stainless Steel Rat and the novel Make Room! Make Room! (1966), the basis for the film Soylent Green (1973). He was also (with Brian W. Aldiss) co-president of the Birmingham Science Fiction G
More about Harry Harrison...

Stainless Steel Rat (Chronological Order) (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • A Stainless Steel Rat is Born (Stainless Steel Rat, #1)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Gets Drafted (Stainless Steel Rat, #2)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Sings the Blues (Stainless Steel Rat, #3)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat (Stainless Steel Rat, #4)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat's Revenge (Stainless Steel Rat, #5)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Saves the World (Stainless Steel Rat, #6)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat for President (Stainless Steel Rat, #8)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Goes to Hell (Stainless Steel Rat, #9)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Joins the Circus (Stainless Steel Rat, #10)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Returns (Stainless Steel Rat, #11)
The Stainless Steel Rat (Stainless Steel Rat, #4) The Adventures of the Stainless Steel Rat (Stainless Steel Rat, #4-6) A Stainless Steel Rat is Born (Stainless Steel Rat, #1) The Stainless Steel Rat Saves the World (Stainless Steel Rat, #6) The Stainless Steel Rat's Revenge (Stainless Steel Rat, #5)