Start by marking “Theory and Practice of Group Psychotherapy, Fifth Edition” as Want to Read:
Theory and Practice of Group Psychotherapy, Fifth Edition

Theory and Practice of Group Psychotherapy, Fifth Edition

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  4,848 ratings  ·  83 reviews
The fifth edition of the best-selling text?completely revised to reflect the latest developments in the field
Published March 1st 2008 by Basic Books (AZ) (first published 1967)

Be the first to ask a question about Theory and Practice of Group Psychotherapy, Fifth Edition

Julia
Yalom came into my life just as I started serving as the sole therapist for two groups of child sex offenders. To put it mildly, some sage advice on being a group therapist was sorely needed. This volume is a must-read (yes, all bajillion pages of it) for anyone doing group work, which is the majority of folks in doctoral psychology programs. Yalom's tone is approachable, his sense of humor much appreciated, and his clinical wisdom boundless. I tend to think of books this hefty as in need of goo ...more
Lauren
Although Yalom is the guru of group therapy, I did not find the book to be particularly helpful. It comes from a very psychodynamic orientation, and although the author mentions other orientations or discusses how certain concepts are understood across the different orientations, readers should be aware that the book addresses how to conduct process group therapy. So if that is your aim, this is the book for you. However, I found it far less applicable for use in more structured groups (e.g., su ...more
Matt
Holy crap, I finished this.
Several things come to mind as I slowly digested this book.
First, how the heck did he get his patients to stay in groups long enough to deal with all these interpersonal issues? I think most clients would get fed up with "that annoying person in group" and just leave. Second, how the heck does he deal with all the members' issues with authority?
That being said, I did use a little bit of insight each time in my own work, so it was definitely worth the reading.
Meerkat!
Definitely a must have for any budding counselor. I can't argue with Yalom's ideas and thoughts on the subject. What I can't stand is Yalom's extreme narcissism that shines right through despite the fact that this is somewhat of a textbook. References to his other works come off as advertisements, and what warmth he created for group therapy (a wonderful thing in and of itself) he degrades with his own unintentional tone. But many people disagree.
Francesca
I enjoy Yalom's writing style and the personal examples and stories he includes. This book is an essential resource to any therapist who wants to lead therapeutic groups. A therapeutic group acts as a social microcosm and can lead to individual change as group members relate and challenge one another. Yalom's book delves into the topic of groups as well as ways to structure, lead and troubleshoot these therapeutic communities.
Ashley
THE group therapy book. There is really nothing else to say but this laid the groundwork for the basics while support my clinical experience in the group setting. Yalom's stages of group development work with all sorts of groups, not just therapy groups. So after reading this book and applying it in a clinical setting I feel more equip to run therapy and report on group activity!
Karen
I had to read this for school. I really liked Yalom's sense of humor. He's a good writer and a gifted clinician.
Maureen
This was assigned reading for my group therapy class during my stint in psychological counseling. It was clear from the outset that all of my professors loved Yalom and now I can better appreciate why. This was a giant book but each chapter is extremely informative and helpful. I was able to use this more during my practical classes, but I think it's still helpful if you're curious about the subject matter or if you tend to find yourself with groups of friends who all seem to have issues and nee ...more
Murray Irwin
This is a classic text for anyone who does group work, especially if you are facilitating personal change. It has long been regarded as the standard text for group psychotherapy. But I should point out that I am neither a counsellor or psychotherapist and so was never looking to run group psychotherapy sessions. I was trying to understand how groups work and how they can support positive change. And in this book I found lots to think about for leading groups in recreational, education and advent ...more
John G.
I used this book when I was a graduate student in the counseling psychology program back in the day, I have the third edition. Bar none, the best text book/ case book about group therapy ever written. I would read this book, out of personal interest and pleasure, regardless of whether it was part of a curriculum. Yalom is a humble and incredibly articulate man, he doesn't act omnipotent and writes in plain and understandable language. Do believe he's a Professor Emeritus from Stanford. He is ope ...more
Carol Morgan
Classic text. The Bible of group therapy. Absolutely required for anyone doing group therapy and nearly that important for family therapists. The book that taught me about group process, for starters.
Chris Zupke
Very philosophical view on group therapy, but an excellent overview for the beginning therapist on the value and purpose of group therapy and therapy in general.
Gary
Read for course. Very clear and shows why Yalom dominates the field more than any other psyche author dominates a field (even Beck!)
Tahir
well i want to read it...
Randi
May 04, 2008 Randi rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: counseling students and as reference for professionals
I read ths book as part of a graduate level group counseling course. Although Yalom's writing can get a bit overindulgent, I really learned a lot from this book. It is not a book to read from cover-to-cover. Like learning a new language, it needs to be part of an immersion in understanding group counseling. Without putting some of his theories into practice, it would be more difficult to understand exactly what he is talking about. Yalom is still the standard for understanding group counseling.
Caroline
Jul 26, 2008 Caroline rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who is/will be running a therapy group
while this book was part of the assigned readings for my last class in grad school (GO ME!!!), it turned out to be quite informative and helpful in adding to the base of my knowledge in psych. yalom is skilled in group therapy and writes in an eloquent and understandable manner. while i do not necessarily fully subscribe to the psychodynamic school of therapy, there are some insightful and resonating points that yalom highlights and addresses. overall, a pretty good read for a school book :)
David
There's a reason why this is the definitive book of group therapy. Yalom integrates an impressive amount of research into a book that is extremely easy to read. His illustrations of the usefulness in switching between process and content in a group context have me eagerly awaiting the opportunity to lead my first group session. This is easily one of the most clearly written and useful books that I have read in grad school. I'm definitely a fan.
Paula
A classic. Before reading this book, the idea of group therapy was deeply unappealing to me. Now, I am intrigued by (if not completely sold on) the potential of groups to provide insights and healing that one-on-one therapy alone can't. Readers will also learn some basic things about group dynamics that can apply to all collective/communal experiences. Yalom is not only an insightful clinician, he is a wonderful writer.
Cory
I recommend this book to any type of group facilitator/participant. Whether you're a licensed psychologist, self-help group facilitator or anyone else who participates in groups for children, adolescents or adults, this books provides a wealth of useful information and tips. Some chapters are rather dry, but for the most part it's interesting and informative. Not just your typical research in action book.
Kim Winters
Exceedingly comprehensive (and 572 page long) handbook on everything you ever wanted to know about group therapy. Yalom shares his expertise in this area and does a great job communicating in a way that is memorable when not overwhelming in terms of amount of content. This book helped to inform and improve my group therapy skills in profound ways. Only four stars because I felt it could have been more concise.
James
Mar 02, 2008 James rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every counselor and psychotherapist
Maybe the most useful book on psychotherapy I've ever read. Group therapy is often the most effective kind, for many reasons. This book is a comprehensive, well-organized, clearly written, and highly practical guide to the art and practice of setting up and facilitating therapy groups. No therapist who is even thinking about doing group work should do so without reading this first and then keeping it handy.
Mirjam Visscher
I picked this book for fun and enjoyed it from the first to the last page. Yalom helps his reader through all ins and outs of group psychotherapy. His examples are clear and human and support his theory.
The title suggests a dry and boring overview of all the literature and research on the subject, but it's not. This book is the rich result of Yaloms's personal learning process.
Lindsay
Good introduction to group work. Found it frustrating at times though...as Yalom lists certain "exclusion criteria" for clients that are not suitable for group work...criteria that fits almost all of the people/children I have ever done group work with. More information about how to work with populations that don't fit Yalom's "mold" would have been helpful.
Kara
Beautifully written (although, I found it somewhat dense at times. We get it, you're SMART.)

This book provides a good balance of theoretical suggestions and practical applications. I would recommend it for anyone leading or developing a group.

I give this book 3.5 stars. Pros-It was helpful, informative, and credible. Cons-lengthy and tedious.
Del
Love him or hate him, Yalom has a lot to offer in the conceptualization of group therapy. If you can wade through some of his huffy attraction to the use of latin terms that could just as simply be said in an approachable style, you will find that this text provides an excellent foundation for getting started in group therapy.
David Lawrence
Gives a huge amount of technique on small group dynamics and practical applied psychology. Good for someone that really wants to make small groups work. If someone can make a group of mentally ill persons get along and grow in self knowledge and actively help each other , they can make any group thrive

david
Joanie
I read so little of this book, I'm ashamed to admit how little actually! It was assigned for my group therapy class my final semester of school and I was so all done at that point that I really couln't force myself to read much. I have gone back to look at it now and it is a good resource to have.
Erin
Oct 20, 2011 Erin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Erin by: practicum supervisor
Fantastic! Highly recommended as a comprehensive text on the subject. Only complaints: too much on existential psychotherapy (anyway, better to see his other text by the same title), and not enough on characterologically difficult clients (I know you can do better than that, Yalom!).
Jason
I read this book back during my grad school years and found a lot of wisdom in it. Yalom really gets group dynamics and how to harness the power of a group to help foster change. It can be a bit wordy at times. Aside from that I can say that this honestly is the "Bible" of group therapy.
Louise
Yalom's book appears to be the cornerstone for group therapists. It's easy to digest (very little psycho babble)and you learn something new each time you re-read a chapter. Since I am co-facilitating a women's therapy group right now I am making this my on-going read, for some time...
  • Psychoanalytic Diagnosis: Understanding Personality Structure in the Clinical Process
  • Motivational Interviewing: Preparing People for Change
  • On Being a Therapist (Jossey Bass Social and Behavioral Science Series)
  • The Family Crucible
  • Cognitive Therapy of Depression
  • Cognitive Therapy: Basics and Beyond
  • Letters to a Young Therapist
  • Issues and Ethics in the Helping Professions
  • Intentional Interviewing and Counseling: Facilitating Client Development in a Multicultural Society
  • The Practice of Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy: Creating Connection
  • Gestalt Therapy Verbatim
Irvin David Yalom, M.D., is an author of fiction and nonfiction, Emeritus Professor of Psychiatry at Stanford University, an existentialist, and accomplished psychotherapist.
More about Irvin D. Yalom...
When Nietzsche Wept Love's Executioner and Other Tales of Psychotherapy The Gift of Therapy: An Open Letter to a New Generation of Therapists and Their Patients The Schopenhauer Cure Lying on the Couch

“A sense of life meaning ensues but cannot be deliberately pursued: life meaning is always a derivative phenomenon that materializes when we have transcended ourselves, when we have forgotten ourselves and become absorbed in someone (or something) outside ourselves” 26 likes