Start by marking “Hug Time” as Want to Read:
Hug Time

Hug Time

4.40  ·  Rating Details  ·  663 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
There was once a kitten so filled with love he wanted to give the whole world a hug!

And so Jules the kitten (also known in the Mutts cartoons as "Shtinky Puddin'") goes down the stairs to hug his friends, then all the birds in the park--and then he travels the world, hugging all those he meets! As Jules learns, a hug is the simplest--but kindest--gift we can give. And you
Published March 27th 2012 by LB Kids (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Hug Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hug Time

Paul
Oct 17, 2008 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I got this book to read with my (then) just barely two-year-old daughter. It turns-out that this was one of the best book purchases that I've made in a number of years. My daughter went nuts and has made this the most frequently requested last book of the night. The three big things that she latched-onto were:

(1) The book has an assortment of animals (the Boynton books are another regular request) and even a Boabab Tree (which she just likes to say).
(2) The book is about hugs (a big feature of
Maria Estrada
Apr 24, 2016 Maria Estrada rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a poetry book about a kitten that decides to hug everyone and everything around him. It is a very cute book for the younger ones learning about love and being nice. I really like this book because it has a variety of animals and it even includes nature. By reading this short book, children will learn to enjoy family, friends, neighbors, nature, and animals.

I really like the illustrations because it includes illustrations of various animals which children will find interesting to look at
Jamil
Jan 10, 2008 Jamil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Miles & Malcolm & Gavin
Recommended to Jamil by: Carter
Jules gives the best hugs. Awesome drawings (by the cartoonist of Mutts). I especially like the whale-hug, the tiger & the polar bear.
Karen
Feb 19, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I ordered this book for my six-year-old son, hoping to receive it in time for Valentine's Day. It was a little late, so instead it arrived on Tuesday (the 17th). Turns out, this book wasn't late at all, because this is the story that my son told me that evening BEFORE we even read the book:

Once upon a time, there was a watch. The watch was for telling time. Thomas can tell time. He can tell when it is squeezy-hug time.
The End.

As with so much with my son, the timing turned out to be absolutely
Heidi
That was adorably adorable. I was looking for books that had to do with gifts/presents, and this would be perfect. Because a preschooler can certainly give hugs--and they are such great gifts!!

12/9/15 Used in my presents theme. Didn't realize some parts of this were a little didactic, but the kids didn't mind. They really liked the pictures and liked the idea of the kitten hugging all these different animals. They were intrigued with what they didn't know (like a baobab tree) and absolutely love
Michelle
Jul 01, 2011 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mommy Bookworm’s Thoughts: This is an adorable book!! It encourages kindness to everyone around us and shows that when we are kind to others, we will receive kindness in return. The illustrations are great! The reading level is definitely for ages 4+, but I think even younger children could enjoy this book because of the drawings, which take up most of the page. It’s a great lesson in love!

Dahlia Bookworm’s Thoughts (11 years old): I like the book because it is cute and neat how the kitten wants
Ina
A Cat decides that the world would be better off if he gave every animal on earth a hug…and then he sets off to go around the world and gives hugs to an amazing collection of animals. Rhyming text and charming illustrations make this a wonderful book…the small format and small illustrations make this difficult to read to a huge group, but my story time audience of almost 30 didn't seem to mind.
Samantha
This is a great book that can encourage students to be kind. The illustrations in this book are so sweet. I love the diverse animals on the kitten's to hug list. Great book for building a classroom community.
Tara Carlisle
Aug 22, 2016 Tara Carlisle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
4.5 stars. Another sweet little book from Patrick McDonnell with great illustrations and a meaningful message. Would highly recommend for those with little ones who like a little snuggle time!
Ella
Apr 09, 2016 Ella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a beginner board book, but nice for kids of any age. Love Patrick McDonnell's illustrations (which is why I read it in the first place), and the book has a sweet message.
Annalise
I like when mommy gives me hugs during the book. Great way to teach about why it is important to be kind to people, also can talk about such things as why tigers are endangered.
Cara Farmer
I got this book at urban outfitters of all places. I was drawn to it for it's sweet name and simple illustrations. I love how it makes the whole world seen like a close community that you can just reach out and hug. I think this book could be used to help build community in the classroom.
Stephanie
Mar 19, 2015 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I need to buy this. It is adorable. I almost cried at the end.
Paul
May 09, 2014 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spiffy rhyming couplets. Nifty lines and illustrations. Love the idea of a who to "Hug To-Do List." It's almost always "HUG TIME!"
Lynde
Feb 03, 2008 Lynde rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
I purchased this book today without reading it in a rush, but for the boys. it just looked cute (i sometimes judge by the cover...bad girl!). i read it to them when we got home. they both loved it, i loved the sentiment. i loved that it was earth-centered (friendly), there were a lot of animals, and just sweet. yes, it's sappy but sometimes that is good. :) at the end i offered N a hug but he still gave me a high 5. where did my little boy go!? also, as an unexpected surprise there is a blue wha ...more
Michelle Hardy
Mi hijo de 5 años adora este libro y yo también .
April Thompson
Jun 13, 2014 April Thompson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have you made your hug to-do list? Well have ya?
Juliette
Valentine's Day '14 book from Gogo!
ReadingWench
Such a cute book !

AR 3.0
Ivy
Jan 25, 2014 Ivy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-corner
Everyone gets a hug!!! Great book to read before going to a zoo as well.
Anna
Nov 16, 2007 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is so sweet! I totally cried. It's the story of a kitten who wants to give the world a hug. Author Patrick McDonnell is a creator of the MUTT's comic strip and this
story 's illustrations are done in his trademark simple style. It's a short story written in rhyme and the book is little kid size...not quite Beatrix Potter small though. It's soooo cute. One of those classic feel books. I love it!
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
A kitten is filled with so much love that he seeks to hug the whole world. He makes a hug-to-do-list and sets out to achieve and he does. I am particularly fond of the message near the end. Even though the world is big, we can still make a huge impact by just doing what we can with what is near us--in this case hugging those closest to you but the message seems grander.
Jessica
Mar 14, 2008 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I loved loved loved this book. Little Jules is a kitten so filled with love that he has to give the whole world a hug. So he travels around the world and hugs as many animals as he can. In the process he discovers new species and disappearing ones. Both the text and watercolor illustrations are simple and sweet. The story combines several beautiful messages.
Rebecca
Mar 13, 2009 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Julie Moran!
Aw, shucks. What a sweet little book from talented Mutts cartoonist Patrick McDonnell. His books would all make great gift books for a friend or loved one. The kitten in this book (named Jules!) is so tiny compared to all the things he wants to hug, which makes the illustrations that much more endearing. I want to hug a humuhumu fish!
Jeimy
Jan 08, 2014 Jeimy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book and it's message. Furthermore, it can be used to teach children about different animals.
Karen
Feb 15, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute little story about a dog who sets off with a Hug to-do list. I absolutely loved the look of watercolor illustrations printed on recycled paper. Made me think of all the art classes I took and how much I miss it. I might have to buy this one... and get an extra to give as a gift
Melody
Jan 05, 2013 Melody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aloud
Very sweet story to read aloud. I love Patrick McDonnell's characters, he's so good with facial expressions. The kitten in the story goes all around the world hugging animals, and by the time one gets to the end of the book, there's hugging on the couch as well.
Susan
Apr 12, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute book planning on sharing it with my grandchildren. This is about Jules (a.k.a. Shtinky Puddn') who believes if he shares his love through hugs it will make the world a better place.....Love it! He travels near and far to try to accomplish his mission.
Cody
Feb 04, 2008 Cody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who could use a hug.
Shelves: kids-books
the illustrations are simple and beautiful and come to think of it, so is the story. it's easy to underestimate the power of a hug. hug time helps put things back in perspective. patrick mcdonnell can do no wrong.
  • Before You Were Mine
  • Scrawny Cat
  • There Are Cats in This Book
  • Guji Guji
  • Cat Tale
  • Kitty Cat, Kitty Cat, Are You Waking Up?
In 1994 McDonnell created the comic strip MUTTS which now appears in over 700 newspapers and 20 countries.

In 2005, McDonnell embarked on a children's book career. His first children’s book, which featured the MUTTS characters, The Gift of Nothing, quickly became a New York Times bestseller. Art (2006), his second release, told the story of a boy named Art who makes art. His next release, Just Like
More about Patrick McDonnell...