Start by marking “The Body” as Want to Read:
The Body

The Body

This watershed book is one of the most important works published in this generation. In "The Body," Chuck Colson sounds a clarion call for the church to rise above sectarian divisions and market-driven programs and to be once again the people of God. "Why does Christianity fail to make a visible difference in the lives of so many believers?" Colson dares to ask. "Why, in ...more
Published August 30th 1994 by Thomas Nelson (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Body, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Body

John
May 04, 2009 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The cover of our most recent church directory shows a picture of our church building. It's a nice building, but using that picture sends an unfortunate message: This is our church.
It's not. "Our" church is the people pictured inside the directory.
Charles Colson and Ellen Santilli Vaughn, in "The Body," are writing about the church, and they make it clear from the outset that the church is the people of God. It's not an institution; it's certainly not a building, or a "campus."
They also make it c
May 12, 2016 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This book was written in 1992, but its message is relevant for today. Chuck Colson emphasizes that the Church is not a religion or a building, but a community of believers around the world. Theology is mixed with testimonies of how God builds his church even under the most adverse circumstances. His message includes such quotes as "The church hs been entrusted with the truth in an age that knows not truth. We've been entrusted with a message of hope in an age that puts its home in temporal toys ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Oct 09, 2009 Mike (the Paladin) rated it really liked it
I actually read the earlier edition first and then got the newer one. This is a look at the Christian Church and the things we have in common rather than the things that seperate us.
Mallory
May 16, 2016 Mallory rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-living
When one becomes a Christian, what follows? Is it an individual pursuit, a private and personal faith? Or is there a larger, grander involvement at stake? What does it mean, what does it entail to be part of the body, the church? In his easily accessible style, Chuck Colson dives deep into what it really means to be living as a Christian today. I love that he sprinkles in stories from throughout history to quickly draw you in. Although the current issues he wrote about in the '90s are not ...more
Biographyguy
Aug 11, 2016 Biographyguy rated it it was amazing
God certainly works in mysterious ways. I have always felt, since becoming a Christian, that my calling was to become a pastor. I really was mentally preparing myself for whatever God had in store for me.

All of this started for me when I began to read my Dad's theology books as he is a pastor. The first one I read was Chuck Colson's The Body. It is twenty years old now, but its' call to be a witness in times of darkness is even more relevant in the digital and internet age. On so many community
Ingrid
Jul 23, 2012 Ingrid rated it it was amazing
This book was wonderful. I understand it was a updating of the book he had written earlier. So the one I read was called "Being the Body". It was co-written with a woman named Ellen. The book was structured in a way that made it exciting to read and poignant. The true stories are told in detail well researched and are about things and events that I had heard of but knew little about. They then reflect on the lessons learned and the application for individual Christian living for our time. Some ...more
Elijah Abanto
Mar 07, 2013 Elijah Abanto rated it liked it
Problems aside, this would be a very good book. If I would recommend this book, I think I'll do to those whose doctrinal beliefs would not be shaken, especially about ecumenism. Colson's reference to Catholicism and other denominations are many, and all with great approval. He really believes they are Christians. He believes the Universal, Invisible Church, and it reflects throughout the book. Without a strong doctrinal foundation, you would be swayed easily.
Anyway, I have so much positive to sa
John
Apr 24, 2012 John rated it it was amazing
In this book Chuck makes an extensive review of where the 20th century church is, how it arrived spiritually and where it should be biblically. Throughout are many stories and antedotes that drive home real examples of the body operating as it should in todays culture.

A wonderful historical perspective of the fall of communism is also included with stories from a number of Eastern Europe countries and the struggles that they went through, beginning from approximately the 2nd World War on thro
Steve
Jul 09, 2013 Steve rated it it was ok
Too sanctimonious. Christians of all stripes worship God in the way that they believe pleases him the most. If you're a Byzantine Orthodox or a Pentecostal, you worship that way you believe is the best. It doesn't mean you're right or wrong, because no one knows. Oh, lots of people think they know. They're SURE they know, and they love to tell everyone the "true way". If we really knew, we would all worship the same. But we don't. To declare certain people as "apostates" really rubs me the wrong ...more
Philip Esguerra
Sep 27, 2014 Philip Esguerra rated it it was amazing
An excellent analysis of the state of the church today. It opens my mind about the church role in affecting change from without and within. The part of the church in communist eastern Europe is worth the time reading. I will read more of Chuck Colson's book.
Thomas Kidd
Mar 05, 2015 Thomas Kidd rated it it was amazing
Read this back in 1992 or 1993, it challenged me to see the church in a totally different way. While I might have now "matured" beyond this basic primer of narratives showing us what the church should be, I will never forget the influence it had on me.
Barbara
Jan 24, 2010 Barbara rated it really liked it
Shelves: bible-studies
The church is the body of Christ. I especially liked the stories of Eastern Europe and Christians standing up to communism. The final chapter about a man on death row who comes to know Christ is heartbreakingly beautiful.
William E.
Dec 05, 2012 William E. rated it really liked it
This is my second time through on The Body. The authors are not harbingers of doom, but rather reveal to the Church in America what everyone outside the church sees. This is an encouraging volume with practical direction form becoming what God intended for His Bride.
Andy Daugherty
Sep 15, 2015 Andy Daugherty rated it it was amazing
Truly an amazing book. I believe every Christian minister should read this book. Every church volunteer should read this book. This is one of those books that has a profound affect on your walk. It is definitely in my top 10 favorite books after the Bible.
Glen
Jul 15, 2013 Glen rated it really liked it
Colson is always a thoughtful and well-researched read. This was a treatment of prescient issues on the essence of the church, the believer's participation and what it means to be Christ's body in the world. The footnotes are always beneficial to read as well.
Robi
Apr 26, 2012 Robi rated it it was amazing
I read this as a memorial to Chuck Colson who went to be with the Lord this year. He was the epitome of someone redeemed by God and transformed into a new person. This book will haunt me and spur me on to live for others--to live outside myself.
Valerie
Nov 26, 2010 Valerie rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
This is a good book but admittedly I didn't finish it. It didn't seem to fit my season appropriately. I did enjoy what I read though.
Mona
Jan 07, 2015 Mona rated it it was amazing
A fantastic, well written guide to peace and progress in the Christian church. I would recommend for anyone whether it be pastor, laypeople, or church member. Excellent!!
Brent Barnard
Jun 18, 2012 Brent Barnard rated it really liked it
I almost always like Chuck Colson. Here he's promoting both holiness and the unity of the church. Excellent.
Patti Hertzog
Jul 20, 2013 Patti Hertzog rated it it was amazing
I don't necessarily agree with all of Colson's doctrine, but I've read the book twice and been so convicted.
Eric
Feb 11, 2015 Eric rated it it was amazing
A look at the Church in America, also compared with int'l scene, how morality seems to be failing in our society - As good/better on second reading - First read 1994
Jud
Jul 11, 2008 Jud rated it really liked it
Published in 1992, it's a little dated (there is a newer version out called "Being the Body") and not without flaws, but this book should serve as a wake-up call to the church.
Duncan
Aug 01, 2014 Duncan rated it really liked it
Great book on church and it's role in the world today. How much individual fighting among the church has sidetrack it from its real purpose. The church need to be noticed in our society today.
Neil Steinwand
Neil Steinwand rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2015
Ron Blake
Ron Blake rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2013
H. M.
H. M. rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2013
Mark Moland
Mark Moland rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
Kevin O'shell
Kevin O'shell rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2014
Kevin
Kevin rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2010
Nancy
Nancy rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2011
  • So You Want to Be Like Christ?: Eight Essentials to Get You There
  • Christianity in Crisis
  • The Great House of God
  • Dangerous Duty of Delight: The Glorified God and the Satisfied Soul (LifeChange Books)
  • Fresh Power: Experiencing the Vast Resources of the Spirit of God
  • Answers to Tough Questions Skeptics Ask About the Christian Faith
  • Out of the Saltshaker: Evangelism as a Way of Life
  • The Externally Focused Church
  • The Truth War: Fighting for Certainty in an Age of Deception
Almost 40 years ago, Charles W. Colson was not thinking about reaching out to prison inmates or reforming the U.S. penal system. In fact, this aide to President Richard Nixon was "incapable of humanitarian thought," according to the media of the mid-1970s. Colson was known as the White House "hatchet man," a man feared by even the most powerful politicos during his four years of service to Nixon.

W
More about Charles W. Colson...