The Look

The Look

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  816 ratings  ·  182 reviews
Ted doesn't think of herself as glamorous. But her gorgeous sister Ava is. So when it's Ted who spotted by a model agency, at the same time that Ava is diagnosed with cancer, things have clearly gone very wrong. Ted isn't interested in modelling but Ava wants her to give it a try. Just how far will Ted go to please her sister? And what sacrifices will she have to make?
Published March 1st 2012 by Chicken House

To ask other readers questions about The Look, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Look

The Host by Stephenie MeyerFirelight by Sophie JordanDeadly Cool by Gemma HallidayNightshade by Andrea CremerVanish by Sophie Jordan
best "eye" on the cover
90th out of 653 books — 1,495 voters
Airhead by Meg CabotBeing Nikki by Meg CabotPoseur by Rachel MaudeRunaway by Meg CabotThe Good, the Fab, and the Ugly by Rachel Maude
YA Fashion Books
16th out of 42 books — 68 voters

More lists with this book...

Arushi
I read this book last year. I do not like chick-lits so I should have known better than to pick this one. Thankfully, I had borrowed it from the library, so I did not have to regret wasting money on it.

From the synopsis at the back, I was expecting it to be a light read and something I could complete in an hour or so. However, it was the author's attempt at dealing with issues such as cancer, the fashion industry, finance problems and body image. In my opinion, the author did not succeed at th...more
Mery
Bagaimana jika selama lima belas tahun dirimu yang kamu tahu adalah kamu jangkung (hampir 185senti), kurus, dan punya wajah bundar. Teman-teman memanggilmu Raksasa. Bahkan guru favoritmu menganggapmu cowok karena posturmu itu. Itulah yang Ted Troud rasakan. Di samping fisiknya yang berlebihan, dia punya kakak yang cantik dengan tubuh aduhai, bukan tubuh aduh duh seperti dirinya.

Makanya pas Simon yang mengaku pencari model mendatanginya alih-alih, Ava, kakaknya, Ted kalang kabut. Dia menduga kala...more
Cora Linn
5 Words: Family, fashion, love, tragedy, brave.

This book made me laugh and it made me cry. Often at the same time.

The Look masterfully weaves the world of fashion and modelling with high-school and the devastating effects of cancer on one so young. It's one hell of a read.

I felt a better person when I finished The Look, as though I myself had grown with the characters.

Ted is one hell of a great sister, an all round awesome girl. She suffers a little at school, but doesn't everyone? I only with t...more
Luna
The synopsis and cover are misleading. I was expecting this sugar-sweet story with a little drama and a happy yet predictable ending. That’s not at all what I got. Instead we have a very well thought out story focusing on Ted and her family with the modelling being about half of the overall package.

At times I found Ted’s continued insistence that she was ugly grating, particularly after the modelling took off but I did warm to her in the end. Ava is wonderful, I really worried about her as the c...more
Megan
The Look was one book I didn't plan on reading, despite the fact that it was getting quite a few great reviews from readers. At first glance, The Look gives the illusion of a short, sweet and fun read - nothing out of the ordinary. However, I found out soon enough that Sophia Bennett is no ordinary writer. Reading this will make you laugh, cry, and fall in love completely with the entire cast of characters.

Edwina "Ted" Trout isn't made of model material. Too tall, too skinny, and without much of...more
Beverley (A Reading Daydreamer)
I LOVED The Look and I would encourage all teenage girls to get it when it comes out. I think it is perfect for Sophia’s older teenage fans (like me!) and is a wonderful step-up from the Threads books. Sophia Bennett has once again conjured up a beautifully glamorous masterpiece, full of dreams, hopes and heartbreak. And yes, it does live up to the bright pink page edges!

To see the full review follow this link:
Vicky (Books, Biscuits, and Tea)
Original review: http://www.booksbiscuitsandtea.com/2012/03/review-look-sophia-bennett.html

The Look is without a doubt one of those books that will make you roar with laughter one minute, shed a few tears the next but most importantly, it will make you think and re-evaluate your life. I loved everything about it, from the characters and the plot to Bennett's writing style - just brilliant.

Writing from a 15-year old girl's point of view is quite risky and and it can go horribly wrong since many t...more
Snuggles with Rainbows
Do not be fooled by the Synopsis folks. There are many layers to this book that the small plot summary doesn’t cover. Naturally I don’t expect the synopsis to give it all away, but I do want it to convey accurately a glimpse of what the reader is about to get herself into. This was not the case with this book.

Like many, I read the brief summary of the story, saw the gorgeous cover, and very greedily requested it. It looks and feels like chick lit and I love chick lit…so what could wrong? I imagi...more
Lucy
Mar 15, 2012 Lucy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lucy by: Received from publisher
This review was originally posted at link: ChooseYA

The Look is one of those books that will either work well, or not work at all. Combining something many teenage girls dream about like modelling with a nightmare of cancer is a risk. So full credit to Sophia Bennett for pulling it off.

When Ted (Edwina) Trout is spotted by a modelling agency, she is certain it is a joke. Her sister, Ava, is the beautiful one after all. However, after her sister's shock diagnosis of cancer and with Ava's encourage...more
Jay Uppal
This is a book I won through Goodreads so thanks to Goodeads for this and it was a pretty amazing book. I just spent the whole day reading through it. It is a Teen book but it isn't your typical YA read as it has no magic or supernatural parts that you find in all YA books, it's more realistic and this along with the authors Excellent writing skills makes this book well worth a read and totally on par with any YA book I have ever read.

The story follows 15 year old Ted (Edwina) who has grown up i...more
Barbara
Jessica
Inizialmente questo libro mi sembrava una specie di copia e incolla. Qualcosa di già visto, la solita storia di ragazze che vogliono diventare modelle e si tormentano fra diete e vestitini succinti. Fortunatamente, anche se dopo parecchi capitoli di attesa, sono riuscita a riscoprire il vero spirito della storia, il messaggio celato dietro i lustrini e le grandi marche della moda, dietro i soldi e dietro la carriera.
Questa è principalmente la classica storia di due sorelle. Una bella, l’altra p...more
Estelle
Review originally posted on Rather Be Reading Blog

As the younger sister, Ted has a tendency to follow Ava’s lead — no matter how crazy her ideas are. Even in the midst of the changes their family has overcome (their dad losing their job and them moving into a new, smaller home), Ava can still convince Ted to jingle a tambourine on the street in hopes of scoring some cash.

Instead, they get a melted piece of Starburst and a business card from a modeling scout… interested in Ted.

Now, when I first s...more
Ifnur Hikmah
Prolog: Gue sudah lama tertarik ingin membaca novel ini. Simply because the main idea: model. Apalagi setelah membaca sinopsisnya membuat gue semakin penasaran. Akhirnya ketemu novel ini di sale Mizan di Gramedia GI. 20 ribu saja hehe.
The Look bercerita tentang Edwina ‘Ted’ Trout, remaja 15 tahun yang mendadak hidup pas-pasan karena ayahnya dipecat jadi dosen dan suatu hari mengamen bersama kakaknya, Ava, si cantik yang mirip Elizabeth Taylor. Saat mengamen itu Ted disamperin oleh Simon yang me...more
Megan
Lois Lane
description
Its a nice enough book, it deserves a lot more recognition.
Its way deeper than most YA books.
I loved the relationship she had with her sister.
It wasn't sad like i had expected, happy ending and everything.

Thing is, its sort of forgettable.
The only reason I'm making a review is because I bought this book right before a camping trip so that I have a light read at hand. It wasn't boring, I pretty much was reading continuously on the twelve hour train trip while my classmates screamed the school ant

Angelica Galanis
Edwina, but for short Ted, and Ava are sisters that are completely different. Ted says that Ava is beautiful and she is some ugly, tall girl with one eyebrow instead of two. When Ava is diagnosed with lymphoma, a type of cancer, their whole life style is turned upside down. Ted learns to see what really matters in life and Ava, even though she is scared can learn to over come her fears. This book explains how these two sisters, no matter how different, are the same in so many ways.

I picked up t...more
Avril Marin
What a sweet and adorable book! i had a certain amount of expections, not gonna lie but it totally exceeded! Ted, the main character was soo likeable! i found myself truly caring for her, i also loved Ava she wasn't your typical YA sister character who just stood there in the background, she had a big role in this lovely story and a purpose ya know? her relationship with Ted was sooo sweet and caring....THIS IS HOW YOU WRITE A REALISTIC SIBLING RELATIONSHIP PEOPLE! anyways only thing I disliked...more
destinugrainy
Ted Trout mendapatkan kesempatan yang mungkin diidam-idamkan oleh banyak remaja, menjadi seorang model. Awalnya dia tidak percaya diri dengan penampilannya (kaki panjang, rambut sarang burung, dan alis ulat bulu). Menurutnya kakaknya Ava yang memiliki senyum seperti bintang film dan mata mirip Liz Taylor.

Tapi Ted penasaran dengan orang yang memberikan tawaran itu, dan ketika dia mengetahui bahwa Model City (agensi yang menawarinya menjadi model) benar-benar ada, Ted berpikir untuk mencoba. Apal...more
Crowinator
Part wish-fulfillment fantasy, part realistic drama, this novel about a sister who gets her chance to become a high-fashion model just as her sister is diagnosed with cancer surprised me by being more sweet and honest than silly and frivolous.
Nabila Anwar
Inget banget jaman kakak saya ngotot ngirim saya ke kontes Gadsam-Gadsam-an. Saya bukan orang yang lihai bilang 'No'. Kakak saya, pembujuk (kalo gak boleh dibilang -pemaksa) ulung. Yah,, saya pasrahkan ansib pada yang Di Atas. Pas pindahan rumah, ketahuan kalau formulirnya gak dikirim. Yihaa.. lagian saya juga gak tinggi-tinggi amat kok. Cmiw

Tapi Ted Trout tidak selamat. Dia ditemukan oleh orang agensi model, didorong Ava, si kakak yang jatuh cinta sama gemerlap dunia model, didukung rasa ingin...more
!Lauryn! !Kirwan!
This book is very pridictable although I would recommed it to anyone who is interested in modeling.
Anya
Every girl out there has had a moment, or several, where you cannot see your own beauty. Ted Trout has been living that moment all her life until a model scout picks her out on the street. What makes this even more unbelievable is that he wasn't interested in her completely gorgeous older sister. As a premise, it held infinite possibilities and Bennett definitely delivered. Ted doesn't want to be a model, she is the typical teenage girl uncomfortable in her skin and I loved that about her. She o...more
Arianne
Sophia Bennett is a seriously stylish writer. Talent and quality sing from her pages. The Look is more mature and thematic than her previous books, and that’s what makes it so stellar. There's realism and emotion, adventure and excitement, dejection and disillusionment – and most importantly, it leaves you smiling long after you've finished the final chapter.

Ava is popular, pretty and has a movie star smile - so when her gawky, awkward little sister Ted is the one scouted as a model while Ava's...more
Michelle (Much Loved Books)
The Look has been a book that has been sitting on my shelf for a while. I always intended to pick it up, but other books got in the way. In an attempt to tackle my TBR Pile, and also read some books for authors attending YALC and forthefringe, I picked up The Look in a quiet weekend and made a start on it.
Within a few pages of The Look I was laughing, some of the things Ted (Edwina) comes out with had me in stitches.

"I think I'm supposed to 'take a sad song and make it better', but that's beyond
Vanessa

Ava e Ted sono quanto più diverse due sorelle potrebbero mai essere: Ava, la maggiore, è bellissima, popolare, tutti sono innamorati di lei, Ted, la minore, è alta e allampata, senza un briciolo di femminilità. Incredibilmente è proprio Ted ad attirare l'attenzione di un talent scout. Tutto passa in secondo piano quando ad Ava viene diagnosticato un tumore. A Ted non importa poi molto di diventare una modella, preferisce stare accanto a sua sorella in ques...more
Dena (Batch of Books)
This book is NOT what I was prepared for. I expected a light, fluffy, humorous story about a girl stumbling into becoming a model. And for the first few pages, that's exactly what it is. But there is so much more to the story. Even though cancer is mentioned in the synopsis, I was not prepared for it when it showed up. As a result, I spent a couple of really late nights bawling my eyes out.

The characters are wonderful. I love them all. Ted is such a sweetheart and she develops such a wonderful r...more
Angie
Ted is a tall, gangly 15-year-old. She has always felt like the ugly duckling next to her older sister Ava. Ava is beautiful and everyone loves her; however, Ava hasn't been feeling well. Her neck is swollen and she has been having night sweats. It turns out that Ava has cancer and has to immediately start chemo and radiation. At the same time Ted is approached on the street by a model scout. She and Ava both think it is a scam until Ted does some investigating and discovers it is real. She star...more
Book Sp(l)ot
It was the cover of The Look that first drew my attention. When I saw that it was authored by Sophia Bennett (whose Threads I've been intrigued by -- but sadly, not read -- since its release) and published first by Chicken House who've yet to do me wrong, I was thrilled.

Part fun, lighter self discovery novel and part heavier, family drama, Bennett's The Look pairs Ted's foray into the world of modelling with Ava's cancer diagnosis -- and all that both new worlds entail. Neither girl is experienc...more
Iffath
I've been eagerly awaiting the release of The Look ever since I heard that Sophia Bennett was writing a new book! I absolutely fell in love with Bennett's Threads trilogy, and I fell in love with The Look too.

Firstly: Sophia Bennett = awesome.
Secondly: modelling. I have a little obsession with America's Next Top Model and OMG TYRA BANKS so YESSSSS.
Thirdly: fabulous cover, much?

I can't really explain why exactly I love this book, but I *do*. It might be cuz of the fact that unlike nearly every si...more
Nine F book lovers: A review 1 2 Mar 30, 2014 06:37PM
  • Kiss, Date, Love, Hate
  • Poison Heart
  • How to Keep a Boy as a Pet (Circe Shaw, #1)
  • Emma Hearts LA
  • Forever ME
  • Hollow Pike
  • Saving Daisy
  • A Dream of Lights
  • Money Run (Ashley Arthur, #1)
  • Geekhood: Close Encounters of the Girl Kind
  • Love at Second Sight
2981932
I’ve wanted to be a writer since early childhood. Either that or an air hostess (great uniform), Olympic gymnast (also great uniform) or a playwright. I would have liked to be a top fashion designer, but my stick figures, despite years of practice, were never going to make the cover of Vogue.

I wanted to be a writer so much that I didn’t dare actually do any serious writing for many years. Instead,...more
More about Sophia Bennett...
You Don't Know Me Threads Beads, Boys and Bangles (Threads, #2) Sequins, Stars and Spotlights (Threads, #3) The Castle

“I think I'm supposed to "take a sad song and make it better," but that's beyond my musical ability” 10 likes
“It's funny how you can share a flat with someone and still miss them so much.” 4 likes