Start by marking “Power Girl, Volume 4: Old Friends” as Want to Read:
Power Girl, Volume 4: Old Friends

Power Girl, Volume 4: Old Friends (Power Girl #4; issues 19-27)

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  107 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Published February 21st 2012 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Power Girl, Volume 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Power Girl, Volume 4

John Yelverton
Feb 02, 2012 John Yelverton rated it it was amazing
Despite it's abysmal start, the Power Girl book series is rocking and rolling.
[Name Redacted]
The vacant, overly-made-up face on Power Girl in the cover image is probably all you need to know about the art. The writing is...only okay. Not better than in the previous volume, not worse, but not up to the standard of the first two volumes.

What is more, unlike the previous three volumes, this volume is missing issues because the rest of the action took place in another series! Literally, one issue in this volume ends with Power Girl and Batman fiercely announcing their intent to stop Max Lo
Mike
Aug 23, 2015 Mike rated it really liked it
Feel a bit disappointed here. Didn't know until it was too late that the big Maxwell Lord story was a serious crossover with the Justice League: Generation Lost book that Winick must've been writing at the same time as the Power Girl series.

That storyline is pretty damn good - don't get me wrong, total mind control has a habit of making it *very* easy to believe that even the most impressive superheroes could end up club-foot-dragging and never quite getting to the bottom of their problems. (kin
Kristen
Feb 18, 2015 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Power Girl's interactions with all the other characters - especially the superheroes - make scenes shine. Her relationship with Superman is interesting, but how she gets along with both Batmen (Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson) are particularly enjoyable. You really get to see Karen's fun-loving nature, as well as her big heart. She has so much personality, it's hard not to smile as you read her adventures. She's utterly lovable and admirable.

Rayhan Mazin's story is refreshing and so interesting. Th
Chris Lemmerman
Mar 12, 2012 Chris Lemmerman rated it really liked it
I know a lot of people who dismissed Power Girl's solo series once Gray, Palmiotti and Conner left with issue #12, but the series has been just as enjoyable, if not moreso, under Judd Winick, and this second volume is proof of that.

This trade collects a three part tie-in arc to Justice League: Generation Lost which is great, though feels a bit unfinished since the plotlines are all tied up in the JLGL book itself. They are a nice companion however, if you read the maxiseries.

Next comes two two p
Gabriel Wallis
Aug 27, 2013 Gabriel Wallis rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
This Power Girl graphic novel was a little better than the last one. Sami Basri and Hendry Prasetya illustrated, and Judd Winick and Matthew Sturges wrote the story. Just to let you know, Sami Basri was the illustrator that I complained about the last Power Girl graphic novel I read. Well, it was illustrated just a tiny bit better. A little more detail was added. Storyline? It was great. I always think that if the story is about an obscure character, it's always good to grace the pages with well ...more
Steven
Jun 18, 2015 Steven rated it liked it
Fun, but it gets docked points because the first half of the book is very choppy due to the bulk of the Max Lord story being told elsewhere, so only the crossover and epilogue parts of the story are here.
Mauro Cosentino
Aug 10, 2014 Mauro Cosentino rated it it was amazing
I'll give this book five stars even when Winnick and Basri didn't work in the two final issues interior pages, but Sturges and Prasetya are not bad at all; these creators just filled in with two individual stories, full of action yes, but they don't add that much to what the previous writers and artists made with Kara. I can recommend this entire run to anyone interested in female superheroes, it is collected in four TPBs.
Kurt
Apr 22, 2012 Kurt rated it it was ok
The final two stories are good, it might have something to do with the fact that Judd Winick didn't write them. Or it might be something to do with the fact that both of them return somewhat to the fun that the Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti issues had.

The problem with the book is, the main driving story is just so different from the fun times that I can't help but lash out at it. The Max Lord story that has been the drive for all of Winick's run just meanders around for during this book, and w
Apr 16, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Really disjointed storytelling. Thankfully I had previously read the JLI books and all the Booster Gold books, so I knew the whole Maxwell Lord/Ted Kord storyline. This is definitely not a standalone volume. And still the story jumps around haphazardly. I read in another review that this book is split with another. I do believe they make reference to it early on in this volume, but that's some pretty shoddy editing. I shouldn't have to switch reading books every few pages to get caught up on an ...more
Andrew Uys
Aug 21, 2013 Andrew Uys rated it really liked it
Bringing the Power Girl series to a close (in preparation for the NEW 52 launch), the 4th graphic novel continues the Max Lord/Brightest Day: Generation Lost storyline. While I still have the same concerns I listed in my review for Volume 3, once the Max Lord material has wrapped, the title has some of its best stories to date. My personal fav is the penultimate issue where Power Girl meets her fan club. So cute & heart warming! I really miss the pre-NEW 52 Power Girl.... :(
Joshua
May 15, 2014 Joshua rated it liked it
The whole other three volumes setting up for an awesome plot and then putting the conclusion in a different comic series was a really stupid and disappointing thing to do to the readers of this series. So yeah, thanks for the anti-climatic filler comics as the end to the series.
Alex Sarll
If you can only say one thing in favour of this book, it's that it's a handy reminder about how, even before the more baffling aspects of the recent reboot, DC had succeeded in making a complete mess of their universe, so maybe a reset was needed. And let's be clear, you can only say one thing in favour of this book. Even the flashbacks to the delightful era of the Giffen/deMatteis Justice League are muddled and clunky.
Mike
Mar 07, 2012 Mike rated it really liked it
Shelves: superman
One of my personal favourite series pre new 52 along with Batgirl, Red Robin and Booster Gold. This book is great, the artwork is brilliant. The only thing that isn't giving it a 5 star rating is the fact you need to jump onto Justice League: Generation Lost to get the full story of the first arc of the book. It is a nice companion series to Generation Lost and a fun book overall.
Keith Jones
Apr 01, 2012 Keith Jones rated it liked it
Not quite as good as bomb squad. Has more to do with the fact it is half the story. The other half took place in another comic book, bouncing back and forth between the two, so I have no idea what was happening half the time. The writing was still really, really good.
Marcus
Aug 27, 2012 Marcus rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
So sad that this book is done, and indeed all of the pre-New 52 DC Universe. Like Secret Six and Manhunter, these higher quality books were gone before their time. Power Girl really managed to keep it fun, but also deliver solid messages at the same time.
David
Mar 06, 2012 David rated it it was amazing
Terrific end to a very fun and entertaining series. I'm quite sad to see it go.
Dave Jones
Mar 11, 2012 Dave Jones rated it it was amazing
Last of the latest series. Gotta love Power Girl.
Megan
Megan added it
Feb 04, 2016
Zenon
Zenon rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2016
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Joseph
Joseph rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2015
Hannah Givens
Hannah Givens rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2015
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Raphael
Raphael rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2015
Philip Isaacs
Philip Isaacs rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2015
Gemma Power
Gemma Power marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2015
Chuck Hatchell
Chuck Hatchell rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2015
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Born February 12th, 1970 and raised on Long Island in New York, Judd began cartooning professionally at 16 with a single-paneled strip called Nuts & Bolts. This ran weekly through Anton Publications, a newspaper publisher that produced town papers in the Tri state area. He was paid 10 dollars a week.

In August of 1988, Judd began attending the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor bringing Nuts &am
More about Judd Winick...

Power Girl (4 books)