Power Girl, Vol. 4: Old Friends

Power Girl, Vol. 4: Old Friends (Power Girl #4; issues 19-27)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  15 reviews
From robotic dinosaurs to the villainous Max Lord to even her own personal fan convention, Power Girl faces a plethora of adventures and enemies in the final volume of her solo series. Joining the Woman of Steel are countless DC Universe heroes, including Superman, Batman, Zatanna and more.
Published February 21st 2012 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Power Girl, Vol. 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Power Girl, Vol. 4

John Yelverton
Despite it's abysmal start, the Power Girl book series is rocking and rolling.
[Name Redacted By Goodreads Because Irrelevant to Review]
The vacant, overly-made-up face on Power Girl in the cover image is probably all you need to know about the art. The writing is...only okay. Not better than in the previous volume, not worse, but not up to the standard of the first two volumes.

What is more, unlike the previous three volumes, this volume is missing issues because the rest of the action took place in another series! Literally, one issue in this volume ends with Power Girl and Batman fiercely announcing their intent to stop Max Lo...more
Chris Lemmerman
I know a lot of people who dismissed Power Girl's solo series once Gray, Palmiotti and Conner left with issue #12, but the series has been just as enjoyable, if not moreso, under Judd Winick, and this second volume is proof of that.

This trade collects a three part tie-in arc to Justice League: Generation Lost which is great, though feels a bit unfinished since the plotlines are all tied up in the JLGL book itself. They are a nice companion however, if you read the maxiseries.

Next comes two two p...more
Gabriel Wallis
This Power Girl graphic novel was a little better than the last one. Sami Basri and Hendry Prasetya illustrated, and Judd Winick and Matthew Sturges wrote the story. Just to let you know, Sami Basri was the illustrator that I complained about the last Power Girl graphic novel I read. Well, it was illustrated just a tiny bit better. A little more detail was added. Storyline? It was great. I always think that if the story is about an obscure character, it's always good to grace the pages with well...more
Mauro Cosentino
I'll give this book five stars even when Winnick and Basri didn't work in the two final issues interior pages, but Sturges and Prasetya are not bad at all; these creators just filled in with two individual stories, full of action yes, but they don't add that much to what the previous writers and artists made with Kara. I can recommend this entire run to anyone interested in female superheroes, it is collected in four TPBs.
Kurt
The final two stories are good, it might have something to do with the fact that Judd Winick didn't write them. Or it might be something to do with the fact that both of them return somewhat to the fun that the Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti issues had.

The problem with the book is, the main driving story is just so different from the fun times that I can't help but lash out at it. The Max Lord story that has been the drive for all of Winick's run just meanders around for during this book, and w...more
Really disjointed storytelling. Thankfully I had previously read the JLI books and all the Booster Gold books, so I knew the whole Maxwell Lord/Ted Kord storyline. This is definitely not a standalone volume. And still the story jumps around haphazardly. I read in another review that this book is split with another. I do believe they make reference to it early on in this volume, but that's some pretty shoddy editing. I shouldn't have to switch reading books every few pages to get caught up on an...more
Andrew Uys
Bringing the Power Girl series to a close (in preparation for the NEW 52 launch), the 4th graphic novel continues the Max Lord/Brightest Day: Generation Lost storyline. While I still have the same concerns I listed in my review for Volume 3, once the Max Lord material has wrapped, the title has some of its best stories to date. My personal fav is the penultimate issue where Power Girl meets her fan club. So cute & heart warming! I really miss the pre-NEW 52 Power Girl.... :(
Joshua
The whole other three volumes setting up for an awesome plot and then putting the conclusion in a different comic series was a really stupid and disappointing thing to do to the readers of this series. So yeah, thanks for the anti-climatic filler comics as the end to the series.
Alex Sarll
If you can only say one thing in favour of this book, it's that it's a handy reminder about how, even before the more baffling aspects of the recent reboot, DC had succeeded in making a complete mess of their universe, so maybe a reset was needed. And let's be clear, you can only say one thing in favour of this book. Even the flashbacks to the delightful era of the Giffen/deMatteis Justice League are muddled and clunky.
Mike
One of my personal favourite series pre new 52 along with Batgirl, Red Robin and Booster Gold. This book is great, the artwork is brilliant. The only thing that isn't giving it a 5 star rating is the fact you need to jump onto Justice League: Generation Lost to get the full story of the first arc of the book. It is a nice companion series to Generation Lost and a fun book overall.
Keith Jones
Not quite as good as bomb squad. Has more to do with the fact it is half the story. The other half took place in another comic book, bouncing back and forth between the two, so I have no idea what was happening half the time. The writing was still really, really good.
Marcus
So sad that this book is done, and indeed all of the pre-New 52 DC Universe. Like Secret Six and Manhunter, these higher quality books were gone before their time. Power Girl really managed to keep it fun, but also deliver solid messages at the same time.
David
Terrific end to a very fun and entertaining series. I'm quite sad to see it go.
Dave Jones
Last of the latest series. Gotta love Power Girl.
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Jon
Jon added it
Aug 15, 2014
Aisling
Aisling marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Kylequinn94yahoo.com
Kylequinn94yahoo.com marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
JB
JB marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Born February 12th, 1970 and raised on Long Island in New York, Judd began cartooning professionally at 16 with a single-paneled strip called Nuts & Bolts. This ran weekly through Anton Publications, a newspaper publisher that produced town papers in the Tri state area. He was paid 10 dollars a week.

In August of 1988, Judd began attending the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor bringing Nuts &...more
More about Judd Winick...
Batman: Under the Hood Vol. 1 Batman: Under the Hood Vol. 2 Catwoman, Vol. 1: The Game Batman: Under the Red Hood Pedro and Me: Friendship, Loss, and What I Learned