Start by marking “Danny's Boy” as Want to Read:
Danny's Boy

Danny's Boy

2.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  65 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Growing up gay in a small, working-class town isn't easy. Returning there after three years spent in the bright lights of the city is even harder. But with no job, and no money, Danny doesn't have much choice.

A vicious attack confirms all of Danny's fears about life in his hometown. The irony of his rescuer being Ste, his homophobic ex-best friend, isn't lost on him. But i
Published August 25th 2011 by Croft House

To ask other readers questions about Danny's Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Danny's Boy

Mirvan  Ereon
Simply amazing! I fell in love with this short story! It is so realistic and the sex is so real! I cannot believe that a woman had written such eloquent and exquisite lines almost sounding like poetry. This is what a good gay story should be written. It kept me interested all the time and there are no stupid and unwanted parts, Everything was simply amazing. The money I paid for it is definitely worth all and I am so willing to pay for more if this kind of writing is used in a novel or a longer ...more
Elizabetta

It took me a bit to get into this one. Danny’s world is so gray… for one thing, it rains a lot, but he’s also so deep in his downtrodden and frustrated thoughts. He has a metaphoric cloud looming over him. Moving from the city, back to his small home village, back in with his parents, is not what he had planned for after getting his college degree. He was hoping for bigger and better things, in a more accepting setting. Small town minds have a hard time embracing the gay.

When Danny reco
Sammy Goode
Nice little sip of a story--would love to read a sequel to see where the relationship goes between Ste and Danny.
Ije the Devourer of Books
Aug 27, 2012 Ije the Devourer of Books rated it really liked it
A really good short story which included issues such as coming out, dealing with small town homophobia, friendship and the frustration of unemployment. I enjoyed the contrast between the thriving gay community life in the big city and the isolation, homophobia and the need to conform in the small town. What really interested me in this story was the class differences and the way in which Danny had changed and out grown his home town, his school mates and even his family in some respects.

The onl
Achim
Mar 12, 2015 Achim rated it liked it
Shelves: contempory, short, 2011
I really like it when Kate Aaron is writing about real people and real live. She's a master in finding the right words for that kind of stories - you just have to read "The Rest of Forever" to believe that. Reading her stories reminds me on the atmosphere of some of the best movies of New British Cinema like "Full Monty" or "Beautiful Thing".

On the other hand Ms.Aaron is also a master of 'short', so I'm sorry to say that this time it's just too short. It's more like a spotlight on one or two sc
Chris
Aug 29, 2011 Chris rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, gay, done, short, free, 2011, ebook
Ok short m/m romance about a guy who can't find work after university, so returns to the small town where he grew up and runs into his homophobic former best friend. While I quite liked the story, the pronoun confusion was extreme and frustrating.
jules0623
Where the heck is the rest of it? What happened to them? Did they tell Ste's father? Did they move away? So many unanswered questions.
Rissa (an M/M kinda Girl!!)
*young-adult characters shelf*
Scott Grunthaner
Scott Grunthaner marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Ilani K.wise
Ilani K.wise marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Jason Whitaker
Jason Whitaker marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Cynthia Shaver
Cynthia Shaver rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2016
Candy Moore
Candy Moore rated it did not like it
Mar 03, 2016
Ashki
Ashki marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Jack
Jack added it
Jun 07, 2016
Vanessa Pasteleurs
Vanessa Pasteleurs marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Karin Wollina
Karin Wollina rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Calliedrake
Calliedrake marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
Kiki
Kiki marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Yeochingyu
Yeochingyu rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2015
Derynmorin1970
Derynmorin1970 marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2015
Rita-Teodora
Rita-Teodora marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Lux
Lux marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Jay
Jay marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Leeanne Bower
Leeanne Bower marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was ok
May 17, 2015
John
John marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Born in Liverpool, Kate Aaron is a bestselling author of the #1 LGBT romances What He Wants, Ace, The Slave, and other works.

She holds a BA (Hons) in English Language and Literature, and an MA in Gender, Sexuality and Culture, and is an outspoken advocate for equal rights.

Kate swapped the North West for the Midwest in October 2015 and married award-winning author AJ Rose. Together they plan to tak
More about Kate Aaron...