Start by marking “Truly, Madly Manhattan: Local Hero / Dual Image” as Want to Read:
Truly, Madly Manhattan: Local Hero / Dual Image

Truly, Madly Manhattan: Local Hero / Dual Image

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  3,133 ratings  ·  65 reviews
Local Hero (1988)
Comic-book writer Mitch Dempsey creates heroes, but he's never seen himself as one - that is, until Hester Wallace moves into the apartment upstairs. When Hester's son, Radley, finds out his new neighbor is the brains behind his favorite superhero...well, Mitch might as well be Commander Zark. He can do no wrong as far as Radley is concerned, but Hester
Mass Market Paperback, 496 pages
Published November 1st 2007 by Silhouette (first published October 17th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Truly, Madly Manhattan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Truly, Madly Manhattan

Kelsey
I got stuck waiting in a doctor's office (running two hours behind schedule) and picked this up from the table. I normally disdain the romance genre but this was surprisingly well written for a light fluff read. A delightful low-calorie snack in the bakery of literature- nothing earth-shattering or thought-provoking, but exactly what was promised, a simple relatively well-written romance between mostly believable characters.
Chanelle
This 2-in-1 book contains the stories Local Hero and Dual Image which are set in New York.

Both stories are indicative of Roberts’ usual focus on forming positive and beneficial relationships with that added emphasis on the family unit. This theme is the reason I keep coming back to her novels as she shows that a family is formed by not just blood relations, but through the deeds and actions which demonstrate the care and love the characters have for each other.

The first story is the more enjoya
Ilean
Sep 19, 2008 Ilean rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romance readers
Shelves: romance, roberts-nora
This is a two story in one book. The first story Local Hero I had read before and it deserves all four of the stars. Even though I have enjoyed every Nora Roberts book I've read in the past the secon story Dual Image I had to force myself to finish. I don't know exactly why but I only liked the part of the relationship of the little boy with the actress without all the rest of the story.
Marianne
I don't know if it was just my mood, but I loved this light romantic reading. Nora Roberts has an inviting way with words and certainly makes her characters real.
Maura
Dharshikha SJ
Excellent composition of two breath taking stories revolving in the densely populated New York Borough, Manhattan.
Local Hero:

Life circling three people- Mitchell Dempsey, a single mom- Hester Wallace and her son Radley. Mitch is a skilled comic book writer and the creator of 'Zark'. Radley, a fan of Zark immediately falls for the creator Mitch. The first impression on Mitch with Hester was a disaster. While Mitch finds something in Hester that makes him fall for her gradually. Still not breaking
Tashi Chenzom
I enjoyed reading the first part of story, Local Hero, better! Mitch was awesome! I liked Radley for being so understanding a son. However, second part of story did make me shed tears, esp, when Scott came looking for Ariel. I was so touched. It was so interesting that I couldn't do anything else. I wanted to finish soon and know all the story!!!
Julia
Local Hero 4 stars
This was sweet and cute and I really liked all the characters and the plot and it was just a great read.

Dual Image 4 stars
Although I didn't love Booth's character (he was kinda flat), Ariel made up for it. It was a nice story, and makes me want to watch that soap opera.
Bonnie Staughton
"Truly Madly Manhattan" is actually 2 of Nora Roberts's books in one--"Local Hero" and "Dual Image". I really enjoyed both of these stories. Nora Roberts is a really great author and I have enjoyed nearly all of her books that I have read. She really "pulls you in" and you just can't put her books down.
Ashley
I really loved Local Hero the first story in the book but I had a really hard time getting into Dual Image.
Xochitl
I really liked the stories. I like when they have kids in them.
Maria
Both books in this composite were originally published in the mid to late 1980's, and both are excellent. The first time I read Local Hero, I thought it was so-so, but this time I thoroughly delighted in all three of the main characters. As for Dual Image, it is hard to put down, even when you know what is going to happen. Nora Roberts seldom disappoints in her ability to bring her characters to life, and on second and subsequent readings, one comes to know and enjoy them tremendously.
Sueij
Again a good read. Two romances set in NYC.

The first story had me wondering why so many romances have responsible women being pulled to "loosen up" by happy-go-lucky guys, though I really liked both characters. It wasn't until a little way into the second story that I realized that Roberts turned that around nicely and had a by-the-books guy being romanced by a creative, uninhibited woman. They balanced each other nicely, and were fun to read.
Pam Petermann
good book. two short stories .
Soccergypsy
I read these stories years ago and came across them again. They were as fun and entertaining today as they were upon the original reading.

Local Hero - 4 stars
Dual Image - 3.5 stars
Robin
Early Nora Roberts fare, originally published in the mid 80's. Since I was in the process of moving and this was a book that was handy, I started reading it. I must say that I enjoy her cop stories (Eve Dallas) much better, these 2 stories were a fun getaway. Nora writes with humor and I enjoy that. I'd give these books three and a half stars. A great read if you are into romance.
Brandy
This was 2 books in one. Both were early Silhouette books. One was Local Hero - where mom w/messed up past meets mom who is neighbor and they back and forth before coming together. The other was Dual Image - actress & producer with different pasts are together but one fights it. Both stories were easy reads but not much too them. Good summer reads though.
Tina
Needed something to read on the way to the 2014 Cotton Bowl - this was perfect. Good entertaining story...you can tell it is something Nora Roberts wrote early in her career.
Nancy White
Of the two stories, I preferred the first one, "Local Hero." That said, even though I generally enjoy Nora Roberts, I don't think that either of these stories are particularly good. I was disappointed.
DeAnna Knippling
I don't think I'm going to end up a Nora reader. I liked this better than the other one of hers that I've read, but it still left me cold and feeling rather manipulated. Besides which, in both of these two novellas, the female characters take chances - one of them with her SON - that left me feeling creeped out.
Maura
Two novella's set in New york city. Fisrt story had comic book writer hero that also happened to be a millionaire and totally hot! Heroine was single Mom who had 10 year old son. Heroine was smart and had gotten her degree and worked in banking. A bit of a fantasy.
Carrie Lim
Both stories are short and easy to read. The characters were cute and pretty. The plot was so-so. Two stars because the stories really were okay, but just OKAY. They didn't have the wow factor, and weren't really memorable. XD
Sandi
I liked Dual Image better than Local Hero. Local hero was good but a little dull compared to Robert's usual books. Dual Image was lighthearted with a serious side (hence the name) and I could hardly put it down!
Linda Pinto
This is a delightful book that made me smile. The book was a wonderful holiday gift just as helpful as the gift Lucy has for finding things and people. I hope we see many more novels by Heather Webber.
Karen
This is another good book by Nora Roberts. The second story in here was my favorite, but sometimes I do feel that her books are a little bit the same (you can tell where they are going).
Clare
loved 1st story. 2nd quite good also
Unlyleme
two man characters that would truly entice you, one being totally sweet one totally being "my world changed overnight" till I found you. :] great story also the setting.
Jess
I liked the first story a lot more than I did the second. If this had just been one book I probably would have given it 4.5 stars. But the second story just bored me.
Suzanne
Nov 16, 2010 Suzanne rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all Nora Robert fans
Shelves: love-story, romance
A Christmas present that I wouldn't bought for myself. I don't particularly enjoy NR's writing from the early 80's. It was light reading though. I love her trilogies.
  • Three in Death (In Death, #7.5, 12.5, 22.5)
  • Family Men
  • Under the Mistletoe
  • Tough Enough: The Cowboy & The Cougar & Odd Man Out
  • Texans at Heart
  • Dance With Me
  • Finders Keepers
  • The Harbor (Carriage House, #4)
  • Simply Sensual (Simply, #3)
  • The Mammoth Book of 20th Century Ghost Stories
  • Upon a Midnight Clear: The Teacher / Christmas Magic / Jolly Holly / If Only in My Dreams / White Out
  • Unwrapped
aka
Jill March
J.D. Robb
Sarah Hardesty

Eleanor Marie Robertson was born on October 10, 1950 in Silver Spring, Maryland, USA. She was the youngest of five children, also the only girl, of a marriage with Irish ancestors. Her family were avid readers, so books were always important in her life. She attended a Catholic school and credits the nuns with instilling in her a sense of discipline. During her
More about Nora Roberts...