Start by marking “Truly, Madly Manhattan: Local Hero / Dual Image” as Want to Read:
Truly, Madly Manhattan: Local Hero / Dual Image

Truly, Madly Manhattan: Local Hero / Dual Image

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,343 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
Local Hero (1988)
Comic-book writer Mitch Dempsey creates heroes, but he's never seen himself as one - that is, until Hester Wallace moves into the apartment upstairs. When Hester's son, Radley, finds out his new neighbor is the brains behind his favorite superhero...well, Mitch might as well be Commander Zark. He can do no wrong as far as Radley is concerned, but Hester
Mass Market Paperback, 496 pages
Published October 16th 2007 by Silhouette (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Truly, Madly Manhattan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Truly, Madly Manhattan

Kelsey
Jan 31, 2009 Kelsey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got stuck waiting in a doctor's office (running two hours behind schedule) and picked this up from the table. I normally disdain the romance genre but this was surprisingly well written for a light fluff read. A delightful low-calorie snack in the bakery of literature- nothing earth-shattering or thought-provoking, but exactly what was promised, a simple relatively well-written romance between mostly believable characters.
Chanelle
This 2-in-1 book contains the stories Local Hero and Dual Image which are set in New York.

Both stories are indicative of Roberts’ usual focus on forming positive and beneficial relationships with that added emphasis on the family unit. This theme is the reason I keep coming back to her novels as she shows that a family is formed by not just blood relations, but through the deeds and actions which demonstrate the care and love the characters have for each other.

The first story is the more enjoya
Theresa Schmidt
Pretty typical Nora Roberts short stories; I think I liked "Local Hero" more than "Dual Image," just because I felt the relationship between the characters in "Local Hero" was more fully developed, especially between the wannabe-stepdad and stepson. I also found "Local Hero" funnier and more realistic. Overall, they're pretty typical Nora Roberts short stories--worth borrowing for quick and easy reads with a happening ending, but not her best and not worth buying. I recommend Roberts' Blue Smoke ...more
Ilean
Sep 19, 2008 Ilean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romance readers
Shelves: romance, roberts-nora
This is a two story in one book. The first story Local Hero I had read before and it deserves all four of the stars. Even though I have enjoyed every Nora Roberts book I've read in the past the secon story Dual Image I had to force myself to finish. I don't know exactly why but I only liked the part of the relationship of the little boy with the actress without all the rest of the story.
Marianne
Aug 30, 2010 Marianne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know if it was just my mood, but I loved this light romantic reading. Nora Roberts has an inviting way with words and certainly makes her characters real.
Maura
Dharshikha SJ
Aug 02, 2014 Dharshikha SJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent composition of two breath taking stories revolving in the densely populated New York Borough, Manhattan.
Local Hero:

Life circling three people- Mitchell Dempsey, a single mom- Hester Wallace and her son Radley. Mitch is a skilled comic book writer and the creator of 'Zark'. Radley, a fan of Zark immediately falls for the creator Mitch. The first impression on Mitch with Hester was a disaster. While Mitch finds something in Hester that makes him fall for her gradually. Still not breaking
Jessica
Local hero (2 stars): Roberts wonderful writing style was the only reason this wasn't a less than one star book. The heroine is this book was fucking miserable to read. She acts exactly like youd think someone named Hester would act. Shes cold and frigid and prickly the whole entire book. SHe let one thing that happened a decade ago shape her whole life. Im not saying the guys not scuzzy for walking out on his wife and kid but he was 20 and still a mental child what did she really expect out of ...more
Tashi Chenzom
Jan 24, 2015 Tashi Chenzom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading the first part of story, Local Hero, better! Mitch was awesome! I liked Radley for being so understanding a son. However, second part of story did make me shed tears, esp, when Scott came looking for Ariel. I was so touched. It was so interesting that I couldn't do anything else. I wanted to finish soon and know all the story!!!
Julia
Apr 27, 2015 Julia rated it really liked it
Local Hero 4 stars
This was sweet and cute and I really liked all the characters and the plot and it was just a great read.

Dual Image 4 stars
Although I didn't love Booth's character (he was kinda flat), Ariel made up for it. It was a nice story, and makes me want to watch that soap opera.
Susan Swansburg
these two novels were light-hearted fun. I read them knowing that (a) they were set in the 80s, and (b) a comparison to recent NR stand-alone novels would not be fair. I thought the held up pretty well
Bonnie Staughton
May 03, 2015 Bonnie Staughton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Truly Madly Manhattan" is actually 2 of Nora Roberts's books in one--"Local Hero" and "Dual Image". I really enjoyed both of these stories. Nora Roberts is a really great author and I have enjoyed nearly all of her books that I have read. She really "pulls you in" and you just can't put her books down.
Dawn
Jan 27, 2016 Dawn rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Local Hero - Good - Mitch Dempsey - comic-book writer and Hester Wallace, single mom and Dual Image - Very Good - Booth DeWitt - filmmaker and Ariel Kirkwood - actress
Allison
Jul 13, 2016 Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Noth stories were very good and entertaining. It was funny to read sometimes as it definitely highlighted how times have changed.
Ashley
Nov 29, 2014 Ashley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really loved Local Hero the first story in the book but I had a really hard time getting into Dual Image.
Xochitl
Jun 23, 2015 Xochitl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the stories. I like when they have kids in them.
Anne
Local Hero - 1/27
Dual Image - 1/28
Helena
Dec 30, 2015 Helena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Muy light...
Maria
Oct 13, 2009 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Both books in this composite were originally published in the mid to late 1980's, and both are excellent. The first time I read Local Hero, I thought it was so-so, but this time I thoroughly delighted in all three of the main characters. As for Dual Image, it is hard to put down, even when you know what is going to happen. Nora Roberts seldom disappoints in her ability to bring her characters to life, and on second and subsequent readings, one comes to know and enjoy them tremendously.
Sueij
May 10, 2009 Sueij rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again a good read. Two romances set in NYC.

The first story had me wondering why so many romances have responsible women being pulled to "loosen up" by happy-go-lucky guys, though I really liked both characters. It wasn't until a little way into the second story that I realized that Roberts turned that around nicely and had a by-the-books guy being romanced by a creative, uninhibited woman. They balanced each other nicely, and were fun to read.
Pam Petermann
good book. two short stories .
Veronica Lindsey
Jan 21, 2015 Veronica Lindsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As usual, nice romances.
Soccergypsy
Mar 24, 2015 Soccergypsy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read these stories years ago and came across them again. They were as fun and entertaining today as they were upon the original reading.

Local Hero - 4 stars
Dual Image - 3.5 stars
Robin
Jul 25, 2013 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Early Nora Roberts fare, originally published in the mid 80's. Since I was in the process of moving and this was a book that was handy, I started reading it. I must say that I enjoy her cop stories (Eve Dallas) much better, these 2 stories were a fun getaway. Nora writes with humor and I enjoy that. I'd give these books three and a half stars. A great read if you are into romance.
Brandy
Feb 11, 2012 Brandy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This was 2 books in one. Both were early Silhouette books. One was Local Hero - where mom w/messed up past meets mom who is neighbor and they back and forth before coming together. The other was Dual Image - actress & producer with different pasts are together but one fights it. Both stories were easy reads but not much too them. Good summer reads though.
Tina
Needed something to read on the way to the 2014 Cotton Bowl - this was perfect. Good entertaining story...you can tell it is something Nora Roberts wrote early in her career.
Nancy White
Of the two stories, I preferred the first one, "Local Hero." That said, even though I generally enjoy Nora Roberts, I don't think that either of these stories are particularly good. I was disappointed.
DeAnna Knippling
I don't think I'm going to end up a Nora reader. I liked this better than the other one of hers that I've read, but it still left me cold and feeling rather manipulated. Besides which, in both of these two novellas, the female characters take chances - one of them with her SON - that left me feeling creeped out.
Maura
Nov 23, 2011 Maura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Two novella's set in New york city. Fisrt story had comic book writer hero that also happened to be a millionaire and totally hot! Heroine was single Mom who had 10 year old son. Heroine was smart and had gotten her degree and worked in banking. A bit of a fantasy.
  • The Official Nora Roberts Companion
  • Family Men
  • Three in Death (In Death, #7.5, 12.5, 22.5)
  • Texans at Heart
  • Under the Mistletoe
  • Dance With Me
  • Another Dawn (Coleman Family Saga #2)
  • Don't Tempt Me...
  • The Harbor (Carriage House, #4)
  • The Morcai Battalion (The Morcai Battalion, #1)
  • The Mammoth Book of 20th Century Ghost Stories
  • Dawn in Eclipse Bay (Eclipse Bay Trilogy, # 2)
Nora Roberts was born in Silver Spring, Maryland. She began writing when a blizzard in February 1979 kept her in her hilltop home with a three and six year old for nearly a week of canceled kindergarten and dwindling chocolate supplies.

During the now-famous blizzard, she pulled out a pencil and notebook and began to write a story for her own entertainment. From the first page, she knew it was wha
More about Nora Roberts...