The Journal Junkies Workshop: Visual Ammunition for the Art Addict

The Journal Junkies Workshop: Visual Ammunition for the Art Addict

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  394 ratings  ·  24 reviews
YOUR MISSION: Discover the tactical secret of self expressionOCothe art journalHarness the artistic explosion ticking in your head, just looking for a creative way to detonate. Prepare to be bombarded with ideas, techniques and suggestions as you allow your creativity to take hold. The Journal Fodder Junkies are on a mission, ready to arm you with all that you need to expl...more
Unknown Binding, 162 pages
Published January 1st 2012 by Northlight (first published April 22nd 2010)

Marie Z. Johansen
I have kept written journals for more than 20 years, but at some point I realized that I wanted my journals to contain more images and color. I always had added copies of photographs to my journals - but I wanted to learn to make art in my books. Art that make me remember my feelings at the time more completely when I went back to review my journal books years later.

I have been doing visual/art journaling for several years now. Oddly enough I still keep a more private written journal but my visu...more
Courtney
Over the past two months, I've been reading through this book a bit at a time. Visual journals really fascinate me for a number of reasons. I've always gravitated towards collage aesthetics, but merging those images and found objects with journaling seems even more promising and rewarding!

Journal Junkies is a great introduction to this concept and there are a lot of great tips on how to begin and keep a visual journal. The authors introduce a wide variety of techniques, ranging from image transf...more
Kristal
I have always collected paper scraps, tidbits of this and that, doodles on napkins, words written down, notes from books or movies. For me, these were called scrapbooks, but the terminology has changed and now 'scrapbooks' are monumental undertakings of photographs arranged strategically on a page with lots of expensive embellishments. I have discovered that my oldschool scrapbooks are now 'visual journals'. But what I want to try my hand at are 'art journals' , where I actually draw or doodle o...more
Kris
"Often when words fail, we can best express ourselves through color, line, shapes and images, and when we cannot find the right images, words take over and express our thoughts, feelings and ideas." (p. 17)

"There is no one right way to keep a visual journal. Every visual journalist must find his or her own way through the journal, discovering the techniques and methods that work best. Whatever the methods, the visual journal is a remarkable place for self-expression and self-discovery. You simpl...more
Tristy
This is a really basic book on art journaling. So basic in fact, that it probably should have been marketed to kids. I also didn't care for the aesthetic of the book - even the art journal pages throughout the book are very basic & don't seem to push any kind of interesting boundaries. I'm giving an extra star for dedicating the book to Dan Eldon, who is one of my art journaling heroes, but I really can't recommend this book.
Joe
A quick read but potent visual smorgasbord, this manual is a sudden jolt into the world of visual journaling. It's not a manual of how-to-do, but a TO-do reference book full of ideas and triggers to get you journalling on a viSuAl bAsIs. I am both a writer and a visual artist, so this was like caffeinated candy for me. It really is visual ammunition for the art addict.
Rikelle
It's hard tonratebthis book. It's not a bad book if it is the first book you've read on journaling. The problem is that everything in the book is stuff I've already seen in several other books and blogs. There was really nothing new. However, if you are just getting into art journaling this is a great book on the basics.
Becky Avella
As a beginner to art journaling, this was exactly what I was looking for as a place to begin. The authors demystified the process for me and gave me tools to get started. I also am grateful they honored Dan Eldon in this book. I've been enjoying learning more about his life and art.
Bethany
I really loved this! I haven't been very good about journaling this summer, and it was a good motivator. I've been wondering for a long time how to get into art journaling, and this gave me a lot of ideas on how to make the switch from straight writing to being more creative!
Darby
I think this book jams a lot into it to help someone new to art journaling or some one who has hit a road block in their process. it gives good technique instructions, supply lists, ideas for travel kits, workspace and writing prompts.
Paula
Although there was nothing in this book that was truly new for me, I loved the presentation of it, and the simple descriptions of the various techniques were very easy to understand. The visuals were great too.
India Dausch
An awesome starter guide to keeping an on going visual journal. I expected a bit more, as I already knew the techniques they taught, but nonetheless it gave me the kick in the pants I needed to get on this project.
Karen Davis
There is point that books on visual journals become redundant. Nevertheless, this is a good go-to book on the topic which is written in plain speak about materials.
Christina
Trying to learn how to jazz up my journals. I'm no artist, but I think I can learn how to take my art journal "experiment" to the next level.
Tiffany
I really liked this book. Lots of ideas with out saying "You must do it this way" more of a gentle guideline. And really easy to understand.
Carole
Good ideas, but they are the same things we learned in elementary school. The book cover makes it look more hyped up than it really is.
Haylee
Visual journaling book by two guys! Easy step-by-step for different techniques, several journal examples and ideas.
Gina Lento
I liked how these guys approached sketchbook journaling....it's raw but the approach is "just do it!"
Julie
A quidk read. Great ideas and tips. Looking forward to trying out some the techniques.
Rift Vegan
A decent overview of many visual journalling techniques. But nothing new here.
Gretchen
For the beginner. Nothing new.
Sonya
Great book for visual artists!
Bethany
I found this very inspiring!
Travis
Travis marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Keyara
Keyara marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Mariah Jensen
Mariah Jensen marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
  • The Art Journal Workshop: Break Through, Explore, and Make it Your Own
  • True Vision: Authentic Art Journaling
  • Journal Spilling: Mixed-Media Techniques for Free Expression
  • The Decorated Journal: Creating Beautifully Expressive Journal Pages
  • Visual Chronicles: The No-Fear Guide to Creating Art Journals, Creative Manifestos & Altered Books
  • Journal Revolution: Rise Up and Create Art Journals, Personal Manifestos and Other Artistic Insurrections
  • Kaleidoscope: Projects and Ideas to Spark Your Creativity
  • Drawing Lab for Mixed-Media Artists: 52 Creative Exercises to Make Drawing Fun
  • Collage Discovery Workshop: Make Your Own Collage Creations Using Vintage Photos, Found Objects and Ephemera
  • 1,000 Artist Journal Pages: Personal Pages and Inspirations
  • Taking Flight: Inspiration and Techniques to Give Your Creative Spirit Wings
  • 1000 Journals Project
  • Artist Trading Cards Workshop: Create. Collect. Swap.
  • Journal Bliss: Creative Prompts to Unleash Your Inner Eccentric