Start by marking “Marie-Grace Makes a Difference” as Want to Read:
Marie-Grace Makes a Difference

Marie-Grace Makes a Difference (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile #5)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  250 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Marie-Grace is worried. Yellow fever is raging through New Orleans. The orphanage where she and Cécile have been volunteering is becoming crowded with children who have lost their parents to the dreadful disease. And now someone Marie-Grace cares about is terribly ill. When the chance comes to help, Marie-Grace takes it. She knows she can make a difference. But will this h ...more
Published (first published August 30th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Marie-Grace Makes a Difference, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marie-Grace Makes a Difference

Callie Stillion
When Mademoiselle Oceane falls ill with Yellow Fever, Marie-Grace worries. The Holy Trinity Orphanage is overflowing, and Marie-Grace needs to help both Mademoiselle AND all the orphans. By the looks of it, Marie-Grace might have to move. But when the ship that she is leaving on is there, Cecile and Sister Beatrice arrive. Marie-Grace doesn`t have to move after all. She will be safe with all of the orphans at Holy Trinity. It is hard for her, because keeping up with everyone is hard. At one poin ...more
Ciara
another problematic book in which someone close to the main character comes down with yellow fever, which pushes the main character over the edge into giving a shit about the epidemic. in this book, it's marie-grace's music teacher, madamoiselle oceane. marie-grace is particularly distressed because madamoiselle oceane & marie-grace's uncle are in love & planning to get married. marie-grace is excited to be able to start calling her teacher "aunt oceane".

but unfortunately, mme oceane get
Lindsay Collett
Childhood memory: None ... Okay, so this isn't technically one of the American Girl books I read as a kid. But, my memories of those I did enjoy keep me interested in checking in on the historical American Girl books as AG publishes them.

Revisited review: Overall, this particular series is just okay. This review will be for all six books in the series. Not sure if I like the deviation from the typical AG historical format (____ saves the day, happy birthday ____, etc.), but that seems to be the
Carolynne
The second story of Marie-Grace, whose physician father is swamped with cases of deadly yellow fever, sweeping through New Orleans. Her father wants her to leave the city amid all the chaos, even though Marie-Grace is immune to the disease because she has already had it, and even though she has shown the desire to be helpful by caring for her desperately ill music teacher, Mademoiselle Oceane. Luckily her pal Cecile steps in and convinces St. Beatrice, who runs the local orphanage, to allow Mari ...more
Elaine
I find past practices of medicine interesting. This gives a little insight.
Amanda Wheet
For me, this was the most fully fleshed of the Marie-Grace central stories. Finally, Marie-Grace appears to be more than a one-dimensional character, and begins to remind me of what is so beloved about The American Girls. Marie-Grace Makes a Difference focuses on Marie-Grace's reaction to the yellow fever epidemic, and the efforts she and Cecile put forth to be as helpful as possible. The last two books in this set have great morals, and much better writing than their predecessors. However, the ...more
Holly Letson
Mademoiselle Oceane has caught the yellow fever, and Marie-Grace is worried. Luckily, she does get the chance to stay at the infirmary with Oceane for awhile. She sings to her and talks to her, and Oceane does wake up, asking for ice.
Oceane is getting better, but Dr. Gardner still wants M-G away from the fever. But, Cecile has other ideas for M-G. Luckily, Sister Beatrice lets her stay at Holy Trinity, and help care for the orphaned children.
This book ends with the wonderful wedding of Ocean
Samantha
Yellow fever is raging in New Orleans, but Marie-Grace feels a calling to perform nursing duties in an infirmary. She sits at Mademoiselle Oceane's bedside caring for her until her father decides that until the epidemic breaks MG should leave town. Bravely, MG reasons with her father and stays in the city to help care for all the ill citizens. When Mademoiselle Oceane makes a full recovery, she marries Uncle Luc and MG sings a special song for the newlyweds. Recommended for girls grades 3-5.
Christina
Nice story about Marie-Grace helping out with the Yellow Fever epidemic and coming into her own a bit. These books are all starting to blur together for me. The Kaya ones seemed to have better-delineated, more distinctly separate stories, despite having only one main character.
My favorite parts tend to be the historical nonfiction "Peek Into the Past" section at the end- this one had some amusing and disturbing info about what constituted "medicine" back in 1853.
Kristine Pratt
The epidemic continues and Marie-Grace finds her place as she works hard to help in a variety of way. Once again I am impressed with both the industriousness and the obedience that American Girls frequently exhibit. I honestly wish I had role models like this as I was growing up.
Miss Clark
I liked this one and esp. liked Marie-Grace and her father's interactions here. Although frequently absent due to his job as a doctor and the current epidemic, he genuinely loves his daughter and also respects her choices. Very nice.
Madalyn H
The difference Marie-Grace makes in this book is that she makes a song at her Aunt's wedding and everyone loved her song. She also helps a lot at the orphanage as well.
Kersten
I was really unimpressed with these books. They were boring, and slow-moving, and I have a hard time imagining little girls loving this series.
A pretty good story. Marie Grace is full of courage and a good example of selfless service.
Lolo
E
O
SM
Kaylee
Kaylee marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Esther
Esther marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Bella G.
Bella G. marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Isabel K.
Isabel K. marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Sarah Fairbank
Sarah Fairbank marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
R4
R4 marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Mattie
Mattie added it
Jan 03, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
  • Troubles for Cécile (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #4)
  • A Surprise for Caroline (American Girls: Caroline, #3)
  • Candlelight for Rebecca (American Girls: Rebecca, #3)
  • Kaya Shows the Way: A Sister Story (American Girls: Kaya, #5)
  • Happy Birthday Kit: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Kit, #4)
  • Julie and the Eagles (American Girls: Julie, #4)

American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile (6 books)
  • Meet Marie-Grace (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #1)
  • Meet Cécile (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #2)
  • Marie-Grace and the Orphans (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #3)
  • Troubles for Cécile (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #4)
  • Cécile's Gift (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #6)
The Smuggler's Treasure (American Girl History Mysteries, #1) The Curse of Ravenscourt: A Samantha Mystery (American Girl Mysteries) The Stolen Sapphire: A Samantha Mystery (American Girl Mysteries) Meet Marie-Grace (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #1) The Light in the Cellar: A Molly Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)