Start by marking “The Playwright's Guidebook: An Insightful Primer on the Art of Dramatic Writing” as Want to Read:
The Playwright's Guidebook: An Insightful Primer on the Art of Dramatic Writing

The Playwright's Guidebook: An Insightful Primer on the Art of Dramatic Writing

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  13 reviews
An accessible, contemporary guide to the art of dramatic writing

During the ten years that Stuart Spencer has taught playwriting, he has struggled to find an effective playwriting handbook for his courses. Although most of the currently popular handbooks have good ideas in them, they all suffer from the same problems: they're poorly organized; are composed mostly of quirky,
Published March 29th 2002 by Faber & Faber (first published March 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Playwright's Guidebook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Playwright's Guidebook

Neal
THE playwriting must-read. Just read it.
Mark Johnson
This is the finest book on writing for the theater that I have encountered, and, believe me, I have read them all, from Aristotle's Poetics through Lajos Egri's classic "Art of Dramatic Writing" (1940), and the mountain of books devoted to various magic formulas guaranteed to generate the next Oscar-winning original screenplay. What sets this manual apart is the author's thoughtful consideration of topics which are almost never touched upon in books of this sort, but which are the very topics wh ...more
The Gatekeeper
A very clear and helpful guide to writing plays. It's taken me so long to find a book on playwriting (as opposed to screenwriting or writing in general). I'm glad I finally found this one. I'll definitely be referring back to it often.
Allison
Jun 23, 2007 Allison rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: artists in the theatrical fields and theatrical artists
Shelves: drama
Edward Albee called this book, "Indespensible." I couldn't agree more. Even if you're not a playwright, learning about how plays are composed allows you to delve into dramatic texts on an additional level. Spencer writes to the point, and gives pragmatic advice, and helpful exercises to aid in teaching lessons. He also gives provides a reading list and some suggestions on getting your play produced and filing your taxes. What more could you want?
Korri
Though the vocabulary Spencer uses may not be in line with what the reader already knows (multiple meanings of beat & scene; how action means a character's objective, goal, need), the concepts he presents are straightforward, logical & helpful. He clarifies action, conflict & event, reminding playwrights to focus on structure first.
Jessica Barkl
I am currently re-reading this great guidebook in preparation to teach playwrighting at the penitentiary this summer and at main campus in the fall. It was written by my playwrighting teacher from Graduate School, and I think it is really simple and easy to understand. I can't wait to see how the prisoners do with it.
N.A. Ratnayake
Excellent reference. Will be keeping this one and referring back to it for a long time. It's advice on the writing process aside, from the perspective of a director who works with original material quite often, it is highly useful to know the principles on which sound plays are built. An enjoyable and useful read.
Ivy
Jan 15, 2008 Ivy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning playwrights
Stuart Spencer gives you a lot to think about, not just about writing plays but about art and life, and how that ties in with what you're trying to create. Some of the things he talks about can also apply to a lot of other writing disciplines, not just plays. Thought-provoking, well-written and just spot on.
Aaron
I will surely read this book over and over again. Stuart Spencer offers excellent advice to writer's of any skill set or experience. A must read for aspiring writer's of any genre, especially playwrights.
Julie Rose
This is indeed a fantastic primer. A great deal of very useful practical advice, as well as welcome reminders about the alchemy of the creative process.
Scott Wagner
If you're a playwright, this will give you great insight. Great advice that will come to you while you write.
Lisa
The best book I've read on the subject. I will be reading this one again and taking extensive notes!
Paul Pellicci
The Playwright's Guidebook is full of good information which is easy to find and understand.
Cassandra
Cassandra marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Jacqui Lofthouse
Jacqui Lofthouse is currently reading it
Dec 05, 2014
Cristi
Cristi marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Christina
Christina is currently reading it
Nov 23, 2014
Jonathan Horn
Jonathan Horn is currently reading it
Nov 14, 2014
William Fowkes
William Fowkes marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Jessica Adamowicz
Jessica Adamowicz marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Araba Dowell
Araba Dowell marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Al Vaughn
Al Vaughn marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Sven
Sven is currently reading it
Sep 30, 2014
Charles
Charles marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
  • Notes on Directing: 130 Lessons in Leadership from the Director's Chair
  • Three Uses of the Knife: On the Nature and Purpose of Drama
  • The TV Writer's Workbook: A Creative Approach To Television Scripts
  • Alone with All That Could Happen: Rethinking Conventional Wisdom about the Craft of Fiction
  • Writing for Emotional Impact: Advanced Dramatic Techniques to Attract, Engage, and Fascinate the Reader from Beginning to End
  • The Empty Space: A Book About the Theatre: Deadly, Holy, Rough, Immediate
  • Writing Young Adult Fiction for Dummies
  • How to Write Killer Fiction: The Funhouse of Mystery & the Roller Coaster of Suspense
  • Backwards & Forwards: A Technical Manual for Reading Plays
  • Practically Radical: Not-So-Crazy Ways to Transform Your Company, Shake Up Your Industry, and Challenge Yourself
  • Screenwriter's Bible: A Complete Guide to Writing, Formatting and Selling Your Script
  • A Sense of Direction: Some Observations on the Art of Directing /
  • Writing and Selling Your Mystery Novel: How to Knock 'em Dead with Style
  • The Plot Whisperer: Secrets of Story Structure Any Writer Can Master
  • Saved
  • Hit Lit: Cracking the Code of the Twentieth Century's Biggest Bestsellers
  • The America Play and Other Works
  • Simply Complexity: A Clear Guide to Complexity Theory
The Art of Marbling MARBLING     MCDONALD ED Marbling (Living Style) Plays By Stuart Spencer Marbling: How-to Techniques