Start by marking “The Dead Of Winter (Rina Martin, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Dead Of Winter (Rina Martin, #5)

The Dead Of Winter (Rina Martin #5)

A Rina Martin Mystery - Against her better judgement, Rina Martin accepts an invitation to Aikensthorpe, a country house hotel with a sinister reputation. Gathered there are a collection of experts in the esoteric; their plan is to re-enact the incident in 1872 that left one man dead and another mad. Rina, unimpressed by the company and their techniques, is relieved when h ...more
Published December 1st 2011 by Severn House Digital (first published August 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Dead Of Winter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dead Of Winter

Carmen
This is the book in a mystery series where the detective goes on vacation, and death follows her.

Rina Martin has agreed to accompany the couple Joy and Tim to a magic consortium taking place in an old mansion. What she doesn't know is that Tim and the other magicians plan on enacting a séance there, in the site of another séance, over 100 years ago, which resulted in a death.

This description makes things sound much more exciting than they really are.

Of course, things happen. Three people are mur
Sandy
I always enjoy the ongoing characters in the Rina Martin books. For some reason, with this book,
I found myself wanting it to end and not really caring who did the murders.
Margo Brooks
This is a classic Agatha Christie plot. Strangers and friends find themselves snowed in at a remote English countryside house where they are to recreate a seance from 100 years previously that had went badly. One by one they are mysteriously murdered, and even when help arrives, it is unclear if it really is help or not. It should have been great, but it wasn't. First, I could not keep the large cast of characters straight. Not remembering how they were initially related and under what pretenses ...more
Jessica
Set in England with an English writer, I struggled with some of the lingo as well as the flow was different than what I was used to. I like the setting of the story as it is Clue-esq but am just now getting into the flow of her writing approx. starting around page 50. Also there are a lot of characters that you have to keep track of with similar names. Ex: Tim, Toby, Terry.

Last 100 pages flew by! I didn't guess who was involved!!
Juli
Feb 03, 2016 Juli rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the fifth book in the Rina Martin series but the first that I've read. I liked some of the characters, and thought they were reasonably well-developed and complicated. But when the reveal came around, I felt it explained WHO-dunnit but not WHY. There didn't seem to be any reason for the deaths of at least two of the 3 victims... I won't be reading anything more by this author.
mary
Aaarrgh
Jan
Jan 06, 2017 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is really more of a 3.5 star book, but I rounded up for several reasons. First, the style is classic Agatha Christie with a modern twist, & unlike many wannabe books in this style, this book actually works well. The plot fits together nicely, and the tension that begins slowly builds with a satisfying pace & reasonably exciting climax. I also appreciated the unique, somewhat quirky characters & the way in which they were developed. This is an easy yet satisfying read for me ...more
Elizabeth White
Should have been great, but wasn't. Had the classic Agatha Christie type of plot that I usually love, but was disappointed in the way it unraveled. I was confused at times; had a hard time keeping the characters straight and when the murderer was revealed I wanted more explanation. Nevertheless, I will try reading more books in the series (going back to the first) to see if they are any better - because I see something good in Adams' writing.
Karen
Dec 25, 2016 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I could not get through this book fast enough. And, no, that is not a compliment. For a while, I though it might turn into "And Then There Was One", but, in the end, I didn't really care. I didn't care whodunnit, or why.
Grey853
Feb 05, 2016 Grey853 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Erica
Apr 11, 2016 Erica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
To many unanswered questions to give this book more than two stars, which I really only gave for the setting - snowed in a creepy old house in England with an unknown killer among them. Otherwise I don't think it ever clearly answered who killed who and why. Why the seance, why the made up ghost, who was creeping around the attic and why, why did the people who bought the house buy it, and on and on and on....
Linda Allen
Jan 15, 2012 Linda Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 5th in the Rina Martin Mystery series, but the first on that I have read. I really enjoyed it, but did have a hard time at first figuring out when they were talking about the present day murder and when they were talking about one that happened 150 years ago. But it was very well written.
Sara
Aug 30, 2011 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting mystery although oddly, it didn't have the wrap-up most mysteries have that tells you "who done it". Takes place in an old English mansion during a reenactment of a seance in the same house in the 1800's.
Linda
Dec 09, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good cozy. First time with this author. Will read her again. Her main character is very much like Miss Marple.
Kellie Hala
Kellie Hala rated it it was ok
Aug 18, 2012
Kimberley
Jan 01, 2014 Kimberley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I enjoyed it..read it a day..first library ebook downloaded to kindle
Katie
Katie rated it did not like it
Oct 26, 2011
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
Timmi Electron
Timmi Electron rated it did not like it
Oct 28, 2012
Debbie Ward
Debbie Ward rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2016
Jillian Strand
Jillian Strand rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2014
Susan Graedler
Susan Graedler rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2016
Judym
Jun 24, 2016 Judym rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A little slow to start but I did like the main character Rina. The wrap up was a little loose also.
Toni
Toni rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2012
judy
judy rated it it was ok
May 02, 2012
Susan Avery
Susan Avery rated it it was ok
Jun 01, 2013
Juanita
Juanita rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2013
Lexi
Lexi rated it it was ok
Dec 06, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
Some of her early books were published under the name of Jane Adams. This should not be confused with this Jane Adams who is a different author.
More about Jane A. Adams...

Rina Martin (7 books)
  • A Reason To Kill (Rina Martin, #1)
  • Fragile Lives (Rina Martin, #2)
  • The Power Of One (Rina Martin, #3)
  • Resolutions (Rina Martin, #4)
  • Cause Of Death (Rina Martin, #6)
  • Forgotten Voices: A Rina Martin British Mystery