Start by marking “The First Red Maple Leaf” as Want to Read:
The First Red Maple Leaf

The First Red Maple Leaf

In an ancient time when Winter reigned and ice and darkness covered the land, a young boy’s heroic and unselfish act helps his people find the shelter of southern trees. But Winter isn’t finished yet and shakes the leaves from the trees. To show his gratitude to the trees, the boy uses all his strength and perseverance to help bring back the leaves. This wonderful tale ...more
Published April 19th 1997 by Tundra Books

To ask other readers questions about The First Red Maple Leaf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The First Red Maple Leaf

Whole And
Aug 04, 2015 Whole And rated it really liked it
A beautifully moving and creative story about how the maple leaf came to be.
The book is quite meaningfully when you read the author's story of immigrating to Canada and finding protection in the maple leaf. The story was sparked out of a question the author's child asked and Ludmila Zedman created this adventurous tale to answer the question.

Extraordinary imagination and rich imagery.
A lovely way to bring a deeper appreciation for our dear maple leafs and what this great country offers us.
Miriam
Aug 10, 2010 Miriam rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
This "invented folk tale" (I think they are called something of the sort) did not feel very authentic, but I did like the illustrations, especially the decorative borders.

Also, this is the first book I can think of off-hand that I've come across that that expresses patriotism towards Canada, which I guess is nice.
Michael Fitzgerald
Feb 20, 2015 Michael Fitzgerald rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Pictures are kind of lackluster - a disappointment for fans of Zeman's incredible Sindbad and Gilgamesh books.
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2008
Samantha Munoz
Samantha Munoz rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2013
Alex
Alex rated it did not like it
Mar 08, 2015
Samantha Munoz
Samantha Munoz rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2012
Jeffrey
Jeffrey rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2015
Angela
Aug 29, 2012 Angela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Beautiful illustrations.
Christina-Rose
Super sweet! I really liked it
Leonel
Leonel marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Yves
Yves added it
Aug 24, 2016
Fivewincs
Fivewincs marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2016
Ludmila Zeman - Filmmaker, illustrator, animator, and writer. Born 1947, in Gottwaldov, Czechoslovakia (now Zlín, Czech Republic); immigrated to Canada, 1984; became Canadian citizen, 1988.

Ludmila Zeman built puppets and painted backgrounds for Karel Zeman's films, including Mr. Prokouk the Acrobat; sold first animated short film to Czech TV at age nineteen; created films for Sesame Street and the
More about Ludmila Zeman...