Start by marking “Best Little Word Book Ever” as Want to Read:

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  2,015 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Huckle Cat, Lowly Worm, and Goldbug guide children on a point-and-learn journey through the words around them.

Now available as an eBook.
Published August 31st 2011 by Golden Books (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Best Little Word Book Ever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Best Little Word Book Ever

Rachel
This is a very cute picture book. It is mainly to boost a child's vocabulary and help them identify things in the world around them.
I liked how the family are portrayed for the most part - it's always good to see the Daddy do some of the washing up!
The artwork is quite good - very simple and cute.
Some of the words seem a bit complicated for younger readers. I am not sure how many children will remember 'measuring spoons','flight attendant', 'propeller plane' etc
Something that jarred me was th
Books Ring Mah Bell
I loved this as a child and I am now brainwashing my son.

Karen
Richard Scarry plus LIttle Golden Books equals about as good as it gets. I don't know if Richard Scarry invested cross-section, cut-away illustrations, but he certainly perfected them.

Margaret
We borrowed this one through our local library and the READS system with Overdrive to my Kindle Fire. This is such an awesome way to borrow library books. I hope that they will continue to broaden their availability with other books soon. If these as eBooks did not cost the same as the physical copies I'd buy them by the dozens as they became available.

I love Richard Scarry from my own childhood and I'm delighted to share these with my daughters, especially my beginning preschooler. The pages f
Kristina Silverbears
Perhaps I will change my mind when my children are older, but a book that starts with a story and ends this flatly is uninspiring for a mother to read aloud.
Anil Natogi
Good book

we got this book for our son and we really liked it very much.we would definitely recommend to all parents.

Emily
Was one of my favourite childhood books, and it still is to this day.
Mckinley
Another great vocabulary book from Scarry.
Tiny Mendoza
It's sad that parents don't use books like this to teach their children anymore. I mean, with the never-ending evolution of gadgets, they can just download educational applications on their smartphones. But you know what, I think it's still better to introduce books to your kids at an early age. We shouldn't stop teaching them how to love books because it's one of the beautiful things in the world.
Anyway, as for this book, I'll give it a 4 for the illustrations and 5 for the content! :)
Julie C-f
Cute characters, great game for finding and naming things in this picture book
Markus
This is the best LITTLE word book ever. If you're looking for the Best Word Book Ever, it's no longer in print. They made it politically correct and removed alot of the charm and humor. No more handsome pilot. Now he's just pilot.

Still love Richard Scarry. Just don't love the world that's grown up around him.
Alanna P
Most people like to read just the words but reading the pictures with the words to my kids was an adventure I will always remember!
Cariane
I grew up watching and loving the Busytown of Richard Scarry. This book would be great way to introduce many different words to children. Isn't a read aloud book but it would be good to have for kids to read on their own.
Jocelin
Who didn't like Richard Scarry books growing up? I think this was the only time that I realized that Worms could wear pants. Although, it was one side only. The words just come to life.
Sandi
Another win from Richard Scarry. I loved these books growing up for all the details, illustrations and subjects they squeezed in and they're just as great now! :)
Tricia
viv loves scarry and this is no exception. seems like a lot of repeat pages from other works. still, it's words and she loves that!
Alicia
I used to read these when I was little and am glad to se Nico loves to read this over and over. It's great for picking up vocab.
Theresa
Scarry, Richard
good early reader
Kirei
May 27, 2008 Kirei rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: toddlers
Shelves: younger-kids
I have never really been a fan of these Richard Scarry word books.
Sheila Read
I remember the cover but just not the story
Lindsey Buis
Love Richard Scarry's word books!
Betsy
I've always wanted a Lowly Worm!!!
Jazmine Hudson
Jazmine Hudson marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
  • Prayers for Children
  • Baby Animals (A Little Golden Book)
  • The Fire Engine Book
  • The Bunny Book
  • Tootle
  • Mother Goose (Little Golden Book)
  • We Like Kindergarten
  • My Big Little Golden Book About God
  • The Jolly Barnyard
  • Cookie Monster and the Cookie Tree (Little Golden Books)
  • Just My Friend and Me (Little Critter)
  • My First Counting Book
  • Home for a Bunny
  • The Shy Little Kitten (Big Little Golden Book)
  • The Happy Man and His Dump Truck
  • The Bears' Vacation
  • Tawny Scrawny Lion
  • I Can Fly
What Do People Do All Day? Cars and Trucks and Things That Go Richard Scarry's Best Storybook Ever! Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever Richard Scarry's Please and Thank You Book