Start by marking “Return of the Mummy (Classic Goosebumps #18)” as Want to Read:
Return of the Mummy (Classic Goosebumps #18)

Return of the Mummy (Goosebumps #23)

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  3,113 ratings  ·  74 reviews
Get Goosebumps with the startling repackage of a best selling classic. Now with bonus materials! After last year's scary adventure, Gabe's a little nervous about being back in Egypt. Back near the ancient pyramids. Back where he saw all those creepy mummies. Then he learns about an Egyptian superstition. A secret chant that is supposed to bring mummies back to life. Gabe's ...more
Published August 1st 2011 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Return of the Mummy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Return of the Mummy

Carmen
Apr 28, 2015 Carmen rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids; Parents
I liked this book. We're back in Egypt with Gabe and Sari, some of the few non-white protagonists in the Goosebumps series. Sari is still an obnoxious little brat, and turning 13 has made Gabe into something of a flirt. He flirts with two adult women in this book: the flight stewardess and Nila!

Once again, Sari and Gabe are spending the summer with Sari's father, Ben. He is a renowned archeologist. They are just about to open the tomb of Khor-Ru, who was King Tut's cousin, or something.

One bad s
Kaitlyn
This book was a serious let down. It was almost the same as the first book to this one. Really you would think R.L. Stine could come up with something better, I mean he's written at least 30 books!
Anyway, the story takes place in Cairo, Egypt and Sari (Gabe's cousin) Uncle Ben, and Gabe are off again exploring a four thousand year old pyramid. Except this time they are about to open a tomb door that belongs to Prince Kahru.
Soon, Gabe and Sari get worried that Uncle Ben might be Falling for a la
Veronica Ika
"There's no way that moldy old mummified prince is going to come back to life just because I recite 6 words I don't even know the meaning of."

It's another adventure Gabe has with his Uncle Ben and Cousin Sari in archaeological world. Today, they make a great discovery, the tomb of the ancient prince from 4 thousand years ago witnessed by a reporter named Nila. But the discovery leads to something else when the reporter demands to know the six ancient words and speak them out loud five times...

Th
Donna
So I think Stine’s real comfort zone is middle grade. I think Goosebumps, while at times silly, have far more developed plots, settings, and characters than his young adult stuff. In RETURN OF THE MUMMY, for instance, Stine takes his time setting the scene of Gabe going to Egypt and developing the setting while in Egypt at the dig site. The visual is much more real in my head than reading most of his YA stuff because, I think, so much of the book is setting up the creepy part to come.

Gabe and hi
Jay
"Return of the Mummy" is the sequel to "Curse of the Mummy's Tomb", a Goosebumps book I thought was kind of up and down. And interestingly, it was one of the few that didn't really end in a cliffhanger. So the fact that there is even a sequel is kind of surprising. Luckily, Return of the Mummy is better than the first.

What I liked about the first is that the adults actually play an important part of the book. Uncle Ben is still his goofy mummy-searching self. He has a sketchy partner and there
Zac D.
The Return of the Mummy is a short novella about the main protagonist, Gabe, returning to Egypt for summer vacation. He goes back to meet his Uncle Ben, a scientist with a team digging up a tomb of king Tut,and his cousin Sari. Though he is nervous, because last year (In the first book) he saw a bunch of mummies in the same area he's going to. When he arrives, his uncle is close to getting into the tomb and closer at finding out if the mummy can come to life. I felt that the book did a good job ...more
David Santos
The second book to Goosebumps book number 5 "The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb." I really like that there are two main characters. While it is in first person, Gabe is almost always with Sari, and their interaction makes it a fun read. A nice little twist near the end. This book is more scifish. You have mummy's, chants and other weird things, but still an enjoyable read. Uncle Ben is not a boring character. Alot like me. Wise yet humorous!
Joey the J in R.J. Spindle
Yes, another sequel. I was excited going into this one, and after a few chapters, I'm still feeling pretty good about it. Sari is still a jerk. I wouldn't blame Gabe if he DID decide to take a swing at her. Of course he won't. He's very well behavied. Gabe pretty much does what he is told.

Read more chapter-by-chapter commentary at R. J. Spindle
I gave this bood 3 stars is because i thought it was really confusing. I didnt know where they were are what they were doing. After I read this book I would maybe read it again. The ending was decent, they saolved the mistery of what happened to the mummy and Jack and Amy were happy the never had to go to the pyrimids again.
Kevin Xu
my most favorite Goosbumps book, if this happened I would just be dead, my greatest fear
Marianna H
The book Return of the Mummy was thrilling. The writing was effective. The strength about the book is that the main character was exciting going to Ancient Egypt to see the Great Pyramid. The weakness about the book is that a character wanted to bring back a mummy back alive, but she couldn't. I would recommend this book to a classmate because I bet that they would like to read a story about people wanting to bring back mummies. If this book was part of a series I would like to continue reading ...more
Glenn
Currently rereading my original Goosebumps collection

The sequel to The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb. Gabe returns to Cairo to visit his cousin Sari and his uncle Ben, who is close to discovering an ancient sacred tomb. But when Gabe discovers a secret chant that supposedly wakes the dead, can he resist?

This book just seems like a rehash of the first. There weren't any new or interesting ideas which haven't already been done in previous books of the series. I was disappointed that there were hardly
Keegan
gabe and sari are visiting thier uncle ben again in egypt. Gabe still remembers the horrors that went down the last time he went to Egypt. This year he hopes that this trip will not be as scary as last yer, but tou dont always get what you wish for. The genre is horror and i really liked this books.
Josh
I'm probably being generous with 3 stars but hey! It's a kids book. All I really have to say though is that Sari has got to be the most annoying character ever! And I had one big problem too. Noting really happened until like the last 30 pages.
Kayla Kitchens
This would be an entertaining book for students to get hooked into the series. However, as the book overall, it was a let down. If you had not read the first book--then you were missing crucial details. I had to read the summary of the first book to get the basic jest of the whole thing. It was unlike many series that I have read. For example, The Magic Treehouse, there are bounds of books in that series, but you don't have to read any of the others to fully enjoy the one you are reading. I do n ...more
Travis Smith
Your typical Egyptian curse buildup, the usual ineffective R.L. Stine fakeouts, and barely any mummy action. This makes me 1 for 12 with Goosebumps as an adult.
Purple
Dinsorsee
Just a typical Egyptian curse buildup. You just imagine the story from the title and the cover , it's definitely like what you think.
Aidan Michael
It was interesting and also because it was about the ancient Egyptian mummy that comes alive and his immortal scarab sister.
Josiah
This is an engaging light-horror story that followed up well to the original.
I did wonder, however, how Gabe could possibly take the curse of the newly found tomb (and the possibility that breaking the curse could bring a mummy to life) so lightly, considering the fact that he had seen the results of a similar curse being meddled with in the first book. In that same vein, I had to wonder why Gabe's Uncle Ben was also cavalier about the curse.
Return of the Mummy is a good story, though, and I
Karen Osuji
this is an educational thriller that is also suspenseful and keeps you wanting to turn the page
Freshy
the prequel was much creepier. this one's actually funny.
Noelle Walsh
Let me start by saying I like books involving Egypt, generally. I really enjoy learning about that country, and, while this book is fiction, I did like that it was set in Egypt. That being said, I enjoyed reading the book. It was a good reading experience.
Sofie
This book is 50% incomplete sentences. The author is redundant and wordy. I had such trouble getting my kids to sit and listen. I'm so glad it's over!
Reza
بازگشت مومیایی - ماجراهای هیجان انگیزی که مو به تنتان سیخ می کند
در مورد کتاب : بعد از ماجرای ترسناک سال گذشته (کیپ) به خاطر برگشت به مصر کمی نگران بود. بازگشت به اهرام قدیمی، بازگشت به جایی که مومییایی های ترسناک را دیده بود. او راجع به خرافه های مصر هم چیزهای زیادی شنیده بود.
یک ورد مرموز قدیمی که تصور می شد باعث زنده شدن مومیایی ها می شود که عموی (کیپ) آن را به عنوان یه لطیفه گفته بود. اما حالا او صداهایی شبیه صدای حرکت مومیایی ها در قبر می شنید. هیچ وقت این وردها نمی توانند مرده ها را زنده کنن
Chandler
Gabe is going to egypt again, but last time he got a necklace of a mummy hand which opened the tomb to the mummy and saved his life, so he is a little nervous about going back to egypt, but then he learns about the mummy's side he's on(Gabe's side) and there is a bigger threat

I personally didnt like this book because it had mummies which I am not an egyptian type of person.

I recommend this book to people who like egyptianology and mummies because it seems perfect for those guys.
  • The Suspicion (Animorphs, #24)
  • The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #1)

R. L. Stine b
More about R.L. Stine...

Goosebumps (1 - 10 of 62 books)
  • Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps, #1)
  • Stay Out of the Basement  (Goosebumps, #2)
  • Monster Blood (Goosebumps, #3)
  • Say Cheese and Die! (Goosebumps, #4)
  • The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (Goosebumps, #5)
  • Let's Get Invisible! (Goosebumps, #6)
  • Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps, #7)
  • The Girl Who Cried Monster (Goosebumps, #8)
  • Welcome to Camp Nightmare  (Goosebumps, #9)
  • The Ghost Next Door  (Goosebumps, #10)
Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps, #1) Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps, #7) Say Cheese and Die! (Goosebumps, #4) The Haunted Mask (Goosebumps, #11) One Day at Horrorland (Goosebumps, #16)