Start by marking “Risen” as Want to Read:

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  202 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
In the small town of Anderson, Kansas, the recently deceased are coming back to life, not as mindless zombies, but with their own insidious plans for the living. Sometimes wryly humorous, often times tense and suspenseful, and occasionally gruesome.
Nook, 0 pages
Published April 9th 2011 by Back In Print Again Press (first published May 25th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Risen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Risen

Joanne Moyer
Do you know Seth? The people of Anderson do and that's not necessarily a good thing.
I started this book thinking it was more of a horror story but it isn't~ though some creepy stuff does happen ~ I can't even think about the cockroaches......
I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was well written and as creepy as it was in parts it was funny in others. Mr Strnad did a great job fleshing out his characters and the town of Anderson ~ I kept picturing Mayberry for some reason....maybe because
John Podlaski
Apr 04, 2015 John Podlaski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Suppose you had an opportunity for a do-over in life...memories intact, no more illness, coma's, mental problems, handicaps, aches and pains - totally refurbished and pick-up right where you left off - would you do it? What if it required that you kill yourself first? What's the catch? Everybody in the town of Anderson seems to be doing it...

I don't read very many paranormal books and thought, at first, that "Risen" was a zombie book. However, after reading the first couple chapters and discove
Candi
Sep 30, 2012 Candi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this creepy tale and have become a fast fan of this author. Several parts of this book have stuck with me for a long while after reading it. I don't think I'm going to think about cockroaches in the same way ever again. SHUDDER.
Denna
Nov 18, 2012 Denna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I liked about this novel was that it managed to hold my interest clear through to the end. So many novels I pick up now days don’t. With Risen: A Supernatural Thriller, I struggled some with the slow beginning and there were a few areas where the pace lagged unnecessarily (and I started to skim), but once the action got started, I breezed straight through to the end. It managed to do what a good horror is supposed to do in my opinion—give me the heebie-jeebies and keep me guessing about wha ...more
Jodi Colpitts
Apr 08, 2015 Jodi Colpitts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Risen

Very good story. Dragged in few places, but was easy to remember who was who. Am looking forward to reading more from this author in the near future
Carrie Nelson
Apr 07, 2015 Carrie Nelson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad.

Different, but not in a bad way. Reminded me a bit of 'The Stepford Wives'. Interesting read. The roaches were really grooms though!
Tiah
Jan 24, 2014 Tiah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
This book is fantastic and super creepy. I love when a book grabs my attention and I think about it all day and can't wait to pick it up again. This story would make a great movie!
Ava Bradley
Feb 19, 2015 Ava Bradley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
Very unique premise
Kathy Lewis
Nov 01, 2012 Kathy Lewis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After many, many unfinished free books for Kindle, I was skeptical. Very skeptical. But Wrong. Very wrong. This book was fabulous. First, the humor. I don't know if it was intentional but, in the first 5 chapters, I woke my husband up 3 times one night from laughing. Then the hook. I was hooked and couldn't stop reading. The story was absorbing and the characters real. I have to say I saw huge authors influencing this story. I also individual flair and potential. Can't wait to read another of Mr ...more
Steven
Mar 17, 2012 Steven rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, read-2012
Death takes a holiday in a small town, but that isn't a good thing as Seth is behind it all. The writing was adequate, the characters fair, but the story was still quite engaging and enjoyable. My major criticism is the ending could have been much better for two reasons: the editors situation could have been written better with more impact, and a more complete understanding of Seth would have fleshed out the story more. Despite this, it was still a good read with an original idea.
Damien Richard
Jul 14, 2013 Damien Richard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book on a whim. It was an Amazon freebie, and I liked the cover. Even though the description didn't do much for me, I gave it a try anyways. I'm super glad I did.

Jan is an amazing storyteller and Risen is proof. The vivid description pulls you in, the characters are well thought out, they live and breath, and the plot will keep readers up until the wee hours of the night turning pages.

Jan Strnad has just gained a new fan.
Vince Colucci
Aug 19, 2013 Vince Colucci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I came into Risen not expecting much but to my delight Strnad has woven a town filled with dense characterisation and a well crafted story that zooms along. The added short stories are like an extra cherry on top of your birthday sundae added with a wink by the cute Friendly's waitress with the nice wiggle in her walk.
Irene
Apr 05, 2012 Irene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
A supernatural tale set in a quiet little town where suddenly the dead don't stay that way for long. At midnight, when the church bell rings the newly dead become the risen. The sick are healed, the insane are sane, all it takes is the miracle of dying first and rising again... but just maybe... death was better.
Monique
I thought it was a great triller. The characters were built really well. The bad thing was that there were parts that were really slow. I didn't fly through it like I do most books. I only kept reading because I expected it to pick up and it did.
Kjetterman
Sep 04, 2011 Kjetterman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book! If you are looking for a good supernatural thriller, then this would be the book for you! The story drags in a few places but overall the pace is consistent.
Ian
Aug 05, 2012 Ian rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
Not half bad, death takes a holiday, no one dies, the dead come back. Fun read, all is good, until something strange (surprised?) bad occurs and things go south.
Juliemae
Creepy, and a bit drawn out towards the end, but a great finish! Didn't see it coming.
Tammy
Oct 25, 2012 Tammy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-reader, zombies, free
I really enjoyed this read! Unique tale on the zombie pathos.
Kathleen Jones
Feb 08, 2012 Kathleen Jones rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this book more then I thought I would.....
Jules
Sep 24, 2012 Jules rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story! Creepy, yet laugh out loud funny at times.
Chantel
May 16, 2012 Chantel rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
A well done interesting tale.
Scot Norman
Scot Norman rated it it was ok
Jun 26, 2016
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Paula Conriquez
Paula Conriquez rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2016
Quenya
Quenya marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Shannon Lowe
Shannon Lowe rated it it was ok
Jun 03, 2016
D Gray
D Gray rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2016
Sheri
Sheri rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2016
Mary Snow
Mary Snow marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Patrick Cooley
Patrick Cooley marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
  • Graves' End: A Magical Thriller
  • Final Vector
  • Speed Dating with the Dead
  • Virtually True
  • The Foul Mouth and the Fanged Lady (The King Henry Tapes, #1)
  • Little Deadly Things
  • Justice Incarnate (Shadows of Justice, #1)
  • The Catch
  • All for One
  • Preta's Realm: The Haunting (The Hidden Evil Trilogy, #1)
  • Hooked
  • Through the Cracks
  • Amanda's Eyes (A.J. Gregson)
  • Repo Chick Blues (The Leah Ryan Mysteries, #1)
  • Wearing the Spider