Start by marking “Stairlift to Heaven” as Want to Read:
Stairlift to Heaven
read excerpt

Stairlift to Heaven

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Stairlift to Heaven (The journal of an OAP.) Don’t miss this one!. Although Stairlift to Heaven is written by an old age pensioner, non-coffin dodgers should not be put off by this. Everyone will be old someday, if they’re lucky, and there are valuable lessons in coping with old age to be learned here. Written by Terry Ravenscroft, former scriptwriter to Les Dawson, The Tw ...more
Published June 28th 2011 by Razzamatazz Publications

To ask other readers questions about Stairlift to Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stairlift to Heaven

You Can Nail It by David R.  GrossThe Jetstream of Success by Julian PencilliahHow to be Successful in Present Day World by Pradeep ChaswalThe Alchemist by Paulo CoelhoThe 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey
Self-help and advice
106th out of 269 books — 301 voters
Time To Let Go by Christoph FischerThe Old Man and the Sea by Ernest HemingwayA Christmas Carol by Charles DickensThe Tempest by William ShakespeareThe Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
Books About Old People
94th out of 244 books — 88 voters

More lists with this book...

Becky Sherriff
If I had to sum up this book in one sentence I would say "British comedy at it's best"

I have never read any of this author's books before and I was very impressed.

Stairlift to Heaven is a diary of an OAP, the accounts are all true with a little bit of exaggeration added here and there.

Terry lives with his wife 'the trouble' as he has nicknamed her, I thoroughly enjoyed reading about their relationship. I am not going to say his 'long suffering wife' because she can certainly hold her own and I w
Ruth
This book is a collection of stories written by a senior citizen from age 65 to 70. I had read the reviews online and since people said that they were laughing so hard they were crying, I figured this was the book for me since I love humorous books. I admit I was very disappointed. Many of the stories didn't even bring a chuckle. Several of the stories involved the author, Terry and his best friend and the inane little things that they decide to do. My favorite story involved Terry and how he ha ...more
Philip Whiteland
I bought this book to read on holiday and I'm really glad that I did. A series of really funny stories from a professional writer of comedy of long-standing (albeit, with the occasional aid of a walking stick). Delightfully non-PC, these stories will have you laughing out loud. I particularly enjoyed the story about the swimming lessons. These stories are the sort of standard that I have long aspired to. Great fun, Terry and I look forward to reading more of the same.
Clare
this book is laugh out loud funny!
Linda
If you enjoy British humor, this diary like account of events in the life of an "old age pensioner" might just be your cup of tea. If his style, which is definitely not gentile or PC, but quite colorful does not offend your sensibilities, you will find yourself laughing out loud. I have to agree with another reviewer who says this author stays on the tasteful side of crude. If you are looking for a break from your usual reading fare, this will be a book to consider. Funny stuff!
Larry
A book of humorous anecdotes from the life of a retired British man. A few of the stories rely on British slang that is unintelligible to Americans (or anyone who isn't British, I imagine), and some also have many celebrity names mentioned who would be totally unknown to non-British. So those stories pretty much make no sense outside the British audience. But the majority of the stories were very understandable and ranged from mildly humorous to extremely funny.
Neats
An amusing book of diary entries. I especially liked the ones about the phonecall for a weekend away for £99 with the one you love and his wife's weightloss over Christmas. All in all a light hearted an amusing read but I prefer a novel to this style of writing, although saying that I would read one of Mr Ravenscroft's other books.
girl.
Hilarious, if you enjoy British humour.
Although, I think that if you tend to take offence easily, you probably shouldn't touch this.

I am quite fond of Terry Ravenscroft. He's so hilariously rude! I found myself laughing constantly in public, and to be honest, I didn't care.

Quite an easy read, too.

Fun. :-)
Aunty Janet
Very very funny! So un-PC that it made me squirm at times, but hey, he's un PC to everyone, not just one group! His anecdotes about ageing are hilarious and highly recommended. Would have been 5stars if it wasn't quite so un-PC, but then it probably wouldn't be quite so funny.
Lynne (Tigger's Mum)
Absolutely brilliant, totally non PC which is a good thing. His antics and 'besting' of petty jobsworths is to be admired and imitated if you are brave. He has a cracking turn of phrase which will make you laugh out loud.
I will look for other books by the author.
Nikki
Generally this would appeal to the older generation but I'm not retirement age yet and I thoroughly enjoyed it. What better than a book that makes you laugh out loud and gives you the desire to repeat the stories and entertain others. Thanks Terry.
Heather
This is one of those books that makes you laugh out loud in lots of places! If when I'm in my 60's I can have half as much fun then I'll be very happy indeed!

I've downloaded a few other books by Terry and look forward to reading those too.
Lea
Now I have tp say I thought this books was just brilliant...... at times i was laughing so hard i could not see through the tears, - the things that him and Atkins get up to are brilliant..... This is a keeper.
Dorothy Timm
I suppose it was very funny if you were British, but not so much if you speak the American form of English. So many of the author's phrases were difficult to understand that they weren't funny, just confusing.
Samantha
Made me laugh out loud! Will definitely read other books he has written and it would also be worth reading again...reminds me of Terry Pratchets humour! Wonder if they know each other!? ...Worth a read.
Jaki Young
Very funny book & definately worth a read but not in a crowded place or you might get some funny looks when you sit laughing away to yourself :)
Sara
Funny funny funny... recollections and wisdom about growing older, laughed out loud at some parts. Getting old is not for sissies!
Nancy
I really liked this book, I thought some of it was funny, and I would highly recommend it to any one who wants a good read.
I absolutely loved this, Terry's a genius and how his poor old wife 'the trouble' puts up with him, I'll never know!
Pia Groff
It is well written but not my sense of humor. I just didn't get what was ment to be funny.
Georgina
Laugh a minute - adore Terry's sense of humour :))) get it now very cheap on kindle!
Nikki
Parts of this were so funny I actually woke my husband up, laughing so hard in bed.

Ang
One of the funniest books I have ever read. I cried laughing
Muriel
Very amusing, really enjoyed it as a change from my usual genre
Kelly
This book was so funny, had me giggling a lot.
Bridget Coyle
Hey British humor. Not my cup of tea.
Nat
Just pure fun.
Athoob Abdullah
Too witty for me.
Lon Williams
Lon Williams marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Making Connections: 2067. - STAIRLIFT TO HEAVEN by Terry Ravenscroft 1 8 Feb 07, 2014 08:12PM
  • Dr. Dale's Zombie Dictionary: The A-Z Guide to Staying Alive
  • The Village Idiot Reviews
  • Modern Manners for Your Inner Demons
  • Blood, Sweat and Tea: Real-Life Adventures in an Inner-City Ambulance
  • Please Tell Me I'm on Mute
  • Impact Player: Leaving a Lasting Legacy on and Off the Field
  • Letters on demonology and witchcraft.
  • Metallic Dreams
  • Coincidences
  • A Fatal Verdict (The Trials of Sarah Newby, #2)
  • This Little Piggy Went to the Liquor Store
  • The Last English Village
  • Henry VIII’s Wives
  • The Book of Werewolves
  • Conspiracy of Silence
  • 527 Naked Men and One Woman: The Adventures of a Love Investigator
  • Massacre at Lonesome Ridge (Lonesome Ridge, #1)
  • Small Kindnesses
942044
The day after I threw in my mundane factory job to become a television comedy scriptwriter I was involved in a car accident which left me unable to turn my head. Since then I have never looked back.
Before they took me away I wrote BBC television comedy scripts for Les Dawson, The Two Ronnies, Morecambe and Wise, Alas Smith and Jones, Not the Nine O’Clock News, Ken Dodd, Roy Hudd, and several other
More about Terry Ravenscroft...
Dear Coca-Cola Dear Air 2000 Air Mail: Letters From The World's Most Troublesome Passenger I'm in Heaven Inflatable Hugh