Soulless Light

Soulless Light

4.48 of 5 stars 4.48  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Haunting in my desires
Thrilled by what is flawed.
I see now that which before could not be seen.
The gray matter of us all

The soul
The light
The sparkle of the infinite night.

Seeking only to be heard
cause we are all dead or dying.
And there in lies the truth of that
which I am buying.

I'm gonna live forever
in the dark of night.

Alive but dead

Dead but alive

Does it even m...more
ebook
Published September 15th 2011 by World Castle Publishing (first published September 4th 2011)

The Branches of Time by Luca  RossiAccidental Leigh by Melanie  JamesBeyond Bridalveil Fall by Sheryl SealLone Wolf Rising by Jami BrumfieldMateguas Island by Linda  Watkins
Amazing Paranormal Books-All Sub Genres
52nd out of 183 books — 263 voters
City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareCity of Lost Souls by Cassandra ClareSilence by Becca FitzpatrickBloodlines by Richelle Mead
Must-reads in 2011 and 2012
212th out of 496 books — 640 voters

More lists with this book...

S. Townsend
Soulless Light is an engrossing, engaging, scary, bloody, and unfortunately short tale of what happens when you mess with the wrong soul. Set in a village in 1363 (I'm sure a wonderful time to be alive) it's what happens with the soul of a murdered young woman, Julia, takes revenge on a rapacious mob of Knights Templar. The only thing a horror fan could wish for is perhaps more. The novella is over far too quickly. Very well written (but with a couple of anachronisms) and an exciting read. Horro...more
Jacquie Talento
Julia & Joseph is an everlasting love. When they are all attacked & killed, Julia's soul isn't at rest. She gains a power of being able to destroy the ones that killed her family and friends and will still get the enternity with the one she loves. Joann Buchanan did an excellent job on this. I would love to see a follow up of it and with her next book coming out, I know it will be just as wonderful as this one was.
Jacquie Talento
Julia & Joseph is an everlasting love. When they are all attacked & killed, Julia's soul isn't at rest. She gains a power of being able to destroy the ones that killed her family and friends and will still get the eternity with the one she loves. Joann Buchanan did an excellent job on this. I would love to see a follow up of it and with her next book coming out, I know it will be just as wonderful as this one was.
Morrigan Michele
I thuroughly enjoyed Soulless Light and recommend it to the lovers of the popular paranormal genres as well as those who enjoy a good suspense/thriller. This book does borderline on mild horror as well. I wholeheartedly awarded Soulless Light 5 stars because not only is it a fantastic story/plot line but the writer did a fantastic job when she weaved this tale.
Elissa
Last week I was finally able to read Soulless Light, a novella written by Joann H. Buchanan. Right from the start I was hooked. From the first page you are transported to 1363 in the life of Julia, a woman who was studying to be a midwife in her village. The Templar Knights ride into town and destroy everything Julia holds dear. I do not want to give too much away, because this book is well worth the read, but if you’ve ever wished you could tear the eyes out of those that have wronged you, then...more
Chelesbells
I am really loving novellas lately. There is something so satisfying in being able to read an engrossing story in one short sitting. Soulless Light is a tale of vengeance. Pure and simple. It takes place in 1363 and is about the grave injustice done to a young girl, her village, and those she loved. It tells the story of Julia, a girl who is training to be a midwife, who has found love in a young boy named Joseph. After her village is wrongly accused of witchcraft and destroyed, Julia does not g...more
Maria Wilson
4.5 Stars

This was a fantastic short story, I just so wished it was longer.

I am quickly becomming a fan of this author. Her other work "I Am Wolf" is one of my all time favourite books.

Souless light is beautifully written. It tells the tale of the Templar Knights going to a peaceful village and causing chaos resulting in mass murder. The protagonist, Julia will not accept death. She deminds revenge and justice for all the people who died, including the man she loved.

I will not spoil this by go...more
Bethica
I don't know if this was just "not my kind of story" or if it was the "jumping around" but I couldn't drag myself along enough to finish this short story.
Grace Fonseca
Okay, when I got an offer for this book, I was tickled pink.I mean it looked so awesome. What drew me to the book was the cover. The cover was very interesting.

Now being that this was a very short story, which consisted of only being 29 pages on my nook, I was surprised. The poem was very nicely done and aroused my interest.

I felt that the story moved very nicely. I wished there had been more build up in the back story. We are suppose to believe that she had this great love which is explain in a...more
Lindsay Kendal
Nov 23, 2011 Lindsay Kendal rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Author submitted for honest review
Shelves: own, reviewed
3.5 Stars

Erm, ok, this was good, I liked the whole innocent life taken leads to a demonic entity hell bent on seeking revenge, to ending up the way she did. (I'm not giving that away. You'll have to read it!) I have gripes though. This writer is obviously very talented, and this has so much potential, but its waaaaay tooooo short!! Also, although the descriptive writing was amazing, there was just too much of it. So much so, that I couldn’t envision things the way I normally do when reading. Eve...more
Lena Seder
Joann Buchanan’s short story “Soulless Light” brought out questions of what one would do if they lost everything they loved within a few minutes.

Joann’s story is set in the 1300’s when the Knights Templar thought they were doing the righteous work of God under an ambitious Bishop when he had chased after “evidence” of witchcraft, thus they would “purge” villages. During the plague, one village had been protected from illness, so it was under their scrutiny.

Meanwhile, Julia had grown up in this...more
For You
Horrifically Outstanding!

"Soulless Light" by Joann Buchanan is a fast paced horrific masterpiece that will give you chills unlike any other! It is a clear warning to all that you must be careful what you wish for - because you might just get it.

Julia is growing up in a small village in the early 1300's and has began an apprenticeship with the village midwife, Ruth, when she meets Ruth's son, Joseph. As the story unfolds, so does the romance between Julia and Joseph, until one day the Templar Kni...more
Shelly Arkon
Loved the dark premise! It was piece written when the Templar Knights rode on and terrorized villages in the name of God. There was plenty of bloody violence and gore.

I also loved that this story ended with a happy ending. It pretty much pointed toward love being eternal despite the MCs choice becoming the deliverer of death. There were times this story had me on edge of my seat. Its a nice short read.

However, I would've liked to have had more dialogue with the other characters and I would've li...more
Angelia Sparrow
A very strong story is badly weakened by horrible editing. This would have been a solid 4-4.5 star read, but the editing was so bad it lost a whole star. The typos alone nearly made me give up on this piece. "A pale of water" was one of the more notable.

But if you can slog past that, this is an excellent bit of horror set during the Plague. When the Templars destroy young Julia's village, she is chosen to avenge them. And very gruesomely she does, too.

Jenny Bynum Black Words-White Pages
10*s. I purchased this book from Amazon and in return ready to give an honest review.
This is way different then what I am used to reading from Joann Buchanan. This is a horror filled love story that will terrify yet intrigue you to wanna read more. Its a MUST read 18+ story that will enlighten your horror side and capture your heart and soul for the love story it entails. Thank you, Joann Buchanan, for a horror story that shocked and terrified me!!
Melissa
This was just ok for me. I was glad it was a novella as I do not think I could have finished it if it was a full length book. Even though it was a novella, I should still connect to the characters in the story and I did not in this case. Maybe it was because it was such a short story but I felt the author spent too much time on the aftermath of the death and not enough time letting the reader get to know the characters.
Sara
Another amazingly well written book by the marvel that is Joann Buchanan. I picked this book up and literally couldn't put it down until I finished it an hour later. I was so engrossed in it, I actually walked into a wall. My roommate, who has vastly different taste in books then I do, loved the book as much as I did. Keep em coming, Joann!!
Beth
A very dark fantasy.
Mickey
Mickey marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
adgray
adgray marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Will
Will marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Mindy Rauscher zimmerman
Mindy Rauscher zimmerman marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Katie Cagle
Katie Cagle marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Joann H. Buchanan is a mother of five children, and has a wonderful husband who supports her passion for the written word. She owns a small audiobook company named Empire voices. Empire Voices creates audiobooks. You can stop off at www.empirevoices.com for more information.

Her upcoming releases include Shine, After Dark book 3 in The Children of Nox series, and Empires Lost book 1 Keleigh.
She is...more
More about Joann Buchanan...
I Am Wolf (The Children of Nox, #1) The Kiss (The Children of Nox, #2)