Start by marking “The Beauty Bride” as Want to Read:
The Beauty Bride

The Beauty Bride (The Jewels of Kinfairlie #1)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  1,044 ratings  ·  112 reviews
More cherished than gold are the Jewels of Kinfairlie, and only the worthiest may fight for their love...The Laird of Kinfairlie has unmarried sisters, each a gem in her own right. And he has no choice but to see them all wed in haste.

Lady Madeline’s heart is not for sale...especially not to a notorious outlaw like Rhys FitzHenry. Yet Madeline’s hand has been sold, to none
Nook, 0 pages
Published July 26th 2011 by Claire Delacroix, via Smashwords (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Beauty Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beauty Bride

Kimba
Coffee dates with The Beauty Bride

First date: Lady Madeline is the oldest unwed sister of Alexander, the new Laird of Kinfairlie. The coffers are running low and he must see them all wed. Madeline is refusing even though herbeloved is believed dead. She holds out hope for his return and asks for more time. Alexander arranges of all things an auction to sell the first of his rarest gems to the highest bidder. Men he believes worthy have been invitedto bid for her hand. Oh lordy, Madeline is none
I found this for free through amazon kindle. I don't own a kindle, however I installed the pc software so I could read a few other interesting books I also found for free. As a full time student I've found it impossible to buy books over the last year and expect another year before I can afford to buy one. I was expecting this book to be just a bit of a time killer during my study breaks, but instead quickly found that I was skipping through my study to find time to read this. It was a fun read, ...more
Inés Izal
Una historia sencilla, fácil de leer. No es el colmo de la originalidad, pero tiene puntos fuertes que ha sabido desarrollar.
Mi mayor pega es la de presentarnos a tantos personajes, ya que al ser una trilogía, podía haber dosificado el "bombardeo" de información.
Jenna
A great story of Medieval-era romance~~~~~ After Madeline renounced not to marry upon knowing the demise of her betrothed in a French war, her brother Alexander was desperate for a wedding. Helping the family state being distitute, so Alexander doesn't have a choice but auction Madeline off. All the Scottish noble around the country gathered for the sale, and are outbid by Rhy's FitzHenry an avaricious and a well-known traitor of the king.

Though Rhy's was looking for a bride, Madeline in particu
Shauni
The Beauty Bride is the first in The Brides of Kinfarlie Series and yes it is a reprint but if you haven't had a chance to read this series or this author give it a try. Claire Delacroix has long been a favorite of mine, although lately she has been sneaking around as Deborah Cooke and writing some wonderful Dragon Stories.. but Beauty is pure Claire. Intricate, interesting, detailed, sensual, simply divine.

The new Laird of Kinfarlie has all sorts of troubles, first off winter is not that far of
Katrina Passick Lumsden
I find myself sort of semi-obsessed with historical romance right now, and this one was free on Amazon, so...

All things considered, it's not a bad book. The story is engaging, and there was enough suspense to keep me interested until the end. The fairy seemed a bit out of place, however. I don't know, it just didn't seem to really fit in with the rest of the story, and I don't know if that's due to sloppy writing or just personal preference on my part.

I found Madeline to be quite refreshing as
Eileen Dandashi
Having sampled Claire Delacroix’s books many years ago when quite young and recently having come back to her work with the audiobook The Rogue, I understand why I remember her name and came back to enjoy more. She writes excellent stories with intriguing plots, mixed with suspense and passion in a historical setting with lovely happy ever after endings. She will keep you enchanted. She has me.

The Beauty Bride plucked my heart strings. This book was the story of the pairing of Madeleine Lammergei
Shanan
4 Stars = I Like It

When I read a romance I do so with a grain of salt. I don't much care if there's complete plausibility to the plot. I am looking for character, relationship and plot developement. I will often overlook grammatical and spelling errors unless they truly distract from my ability to grasp what the author is trying to convey. I will usually read between the lines drawing from my own understanding of people an relationships and fill in blanks. I try not to judge the characters in th
Heather
The Beauty Bride is a bewitching tale of love, adventure, and the treasures of the heart. It is an outstandingly well written novel that has me eager to read the rest of this series!

Madeline is a heroine that is easy to love. She is graceful, daring, charismatic, and speaks her mind with dialogue that will leave the reader laughing out loud as she banters with the other characters in this novel. She has recently lost her betrothed, a kind hearted musician, who died in battle in France after bei
Lilmissmolly
The Beauty Bride is the first in The Jewels of Kinfarlie Series and it is simply one of the best historical romance stories I've read or listened to in many years (not an easy feat considering I average about 100 books a year!). It's an enchanting story set in Medieval Scotland and Wales.

The story centers around Madeline, who at 26 years old is yet unmarried with no intension of doing so anytime soon. The new Laird of Kinfarlie, her younger brother Alexander, is desperate to marry her off (and
Angela
Apr 17, 2014 Angela marked it as 1-click  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, historical, free
17 April 2014: $0.00 FREE on Kindle
Abigail
Alexander is taking over the family's Scottish estate after the premature death of his parents. Money is tight and one solution is to marry off his sisters as quickly as possible as to have less mouths to feed come autumn. Of course his sisters will not be married off without a fight. The first sister on the chopping block is eldest Madeline and since she's being so unhelpful, and money is tight, Alex decides to auction her off. In comes unexpected, mysterious Welshman Rhys FitzHenry. Madeline i ...more
Tonileg
So you attend a big party with you family and there is a big announcement before the feast begins.... You! Ya, you right over there! Will be auctioned off the the highest bidder and be married.
WHAT?! Is that even legal?
I guess in the middle ages, the males had all the power. So when you older brother who is Lord of the castle decides that it is time that you get married and bring some money to the family at the same time, you don't have a lot of choice. Looks like you're going to be getting marr
Linda Hays-Gibbs
The Beauty Bride Review by Linda Hays-Gibbs
of The Beauty Bride by Claire DelaCroix
The notorious outlaw Rhys FitzHenry was a hard man to whom fate had not been kind. He realized there was only one way to secure his claim to Caerwyn castle, marry his cousin. The problem was he was a traitor with a price on his head if he left Wales he could be killed but he loved Caerwyn more than his life.
First he rode everywhere looking for this lost cousin only to find her being auctioned off by her brother a
Jewel
A slow start, I didn't feel the era, i couldn't get into it, and the little hint of fantasy really bothered me.

But then, Rhys character appeared and the book picked up from there, I'm really happy I read it.

After Madeline is auctioned and bought by Rhys, she escapes only to be found by him and rushed into marriage, he is very practical and stright forward, if not so very honest, and the feelings his wife is causing are affecting his sound judgment. The couple are in the run trying to reach Rhys
Sabrina
I have to be honest; I stopped reading this book the night of the auction because it seemed so far-fetched and ridiculous that I couldn’t continue. I mean the first couple of pages talk about this wonderful family where the siblings all played pranks on each other and for the most part get along. How the heck could the brother have been talked into basically “selling” his sister?! Crops are bad, they need money and/or one less mouth to feed, I get it. But auctioning your sister for marriage – no ...more
Jenni Ebba
This story some good highs and a lot of lows for me; despite that I am giving it three stars for the redeeming secondary characters. Madeline, the leading lady, is a strong lovable character with a dynamite core of values. Having said that, it's hard to reconcile her strong wits with the whimsy malleable woman she portrayed at times.
Rhys Fitzhenry on the other hand is everything my inner modern feminist hates. He is chauvinistic, at times misogynistic, and just a brute with a weapon. He'll go t
Brittany
This was free on Amazon so I decided to give it a shot. I was very unhappy with the beginning. I could not believe Madeline's reaction to alexander's plan. He offered her many chances to get married but she refused. She was annoying in the beginning. It was not his fault she was stubborn. Other than that I really enjoyed the story and watching the characters grow to love each other. It was a very well written book and I will definitely be reading more in the series.
Kay Bolton
Well, this was yet another freebie Kindle Download that worked really rather well.

I was out of my comfort zone a little as this was based earlier than my usual Georgian era.

There was also the surprising addition of a little fairy jiggery-pokery written in.

I found it to be very lyrically written, and even the inclusion of the fairy seemed to work. In fact, I would love to have heard more of the mischief she could unleash.

The characters were believable and worth investing in, and I look forward to
Steen
I just can't read this. I kept trying but it literally put me to sleep every time I sat down to read it. So I am tossing it. I just don't like how it is written. it's almost to wordy and they are supposed to be in Scotland? I have no sense just by reading that they are so except that I know it's set there. Meh onto (hopefully) better reads.

Sad that this is my first DNF of the year :(
Barbara
Enjoyable read. While the story follows the typical pattern, the characters are lovable and entertaining. Even the initial characters you might not start out too fond of end up being honorable characters in the end. The couple go through initial antagonism, skirt through several dangerous challenges, and end up opening their hearts.
Tina Peterson
Enjoyed this free book from Kindle! Loved the situation Madeline found herself in and how Rhys a outlaw buys his bride for a reason no one knows. In the meantime many things happen that they have to overcome to possibly have a happy ending! Good read! There was a little fantasy thrown in to make it interesting!
Jody
This book has fairies or something similiar. For the live of me can not remember what Darg was. This story starts with a girl whose betrothed has died and she does not want to marry. Her brother presses the issue and when she declines again their aunt and uncle find him in despair and they come up with a solution. She is auctioned off to the highest bidder, who just happens to have a price on his head. New information comes out and they try to find the girl.
Great stories, tricks and pranks, lie
McKayla
A family who loses their parents and the brother is now in charge of the wellfare of his sisters. So what does he do? Auctions the oldest sisters hand in marriage. So happy that this is not the way anymore! Adventure, danger and love all rolled into one.
Bella
This medieval romance novel will have you engaged from beginning to end, a page turner for sure. This was my first time reading a novel by Claire De La Croix, got the ebook edition for free at Amazon.com once I found her through the Jewels of Historical Romance, and I would totally recommend - The Beauty Bride. Madeline and Rhys would have you laughing one moment, lashing at them the next moment for being so stubborn but also capturing your heart as you see right through their own hearts and the ...more
Gils
3.75 stars. A fun and mindless read. Just something that wasn't overly intense which is something we all need every once in a while. I enjoy being whisked away by a book and that was the case with this 1st book in Delacroix' trilogy.

I like a strong minded heroine. Even though this is a historical romance, women can be strong while still adhering to the characterization of the times. Madeline was strong in several ways. Though she did her duty, she made her thoughts on the matter clear.

Rhys was
Cici
This is a summer read. This is a story with many plots. The oldest sister's story is full of twists. The chemistry is good. But, it is Very Graphic!
Helen May
A fun and interesting historical romance. Complete with fairies! Enjoyed the whimsy and adventure.
Nubia Sanchez
I think it was simply well done with the whole plot of the story. It shows loyalty, love, treachery, hope, and action! I really Madeline and Rhys because they shows how two people who don't get along at first can end up to as perfect, loyal, and in love with each other. Beside I really like that Rhys is a Welsh warrior, it really love that this book mention Wales for once! Anyways I love the tales that Rhys told to Madeline's younger sibling especially the fairy Daarg who was intertwining Rhys a ...more
  • Twin Passions
  • What Wild Moonlight
  • Untamed (Wild Women, #1)
  • Sea Scoundrel (Knave of Hearts #1)
  • The Mistress of Trevelyan (Trevelyan #1)
  • Her Wicked Ways (Secrets & Scandals #1)
  • Warrior's Bride (The Stones of Destiny, #2)
  • A Knight's Vengeance (Knight's, #1)
  • Unspoken (The MacLauchlans, #1)
  • The Wild One (The de Montforte Brothers, #1)
  • Taffeta and Hotspur
  • Of Noble Birth
  • Emerald Embrace
  • Autumn's Flame (The Graistan Chronicles, #4)
  • Caroline (Beauvisage, #1)
  • Across a Moonlit Sea (Dante Pirates, #1)
New York Times bestselling author Claire Delacroix sold her first book in 1992, an historical romance called THE ROMANCE OF THE ROSE. Since then, she has published over forty romance novels and novellas, and has also been published under the names Claire Cross and Deborah Cooke. She has an honours degree in history, with a focus on medieval studies. She is an avid reader of medieval vernacular lit ...more
More about Claire Delacroix...

The Jewels of Kinfairlie (4 books)
  • The Rose Red Bride (Jewels of Kinfairlie, #2)
  • The Snow White Bride (Jewels of Kinfairlie, #3)
  • The Ballad of Rosamunde
To Weave a Web of Magic (Samaria Chronological Order #3.5) The Queen in Winter The Princess (Bride Quest, #1) The Rose Red Bride (Jewels of Kinfairlie, #2) The Snow White Bride (Jewels of Kinfairlie, #3)

“No man of honor avoided what needed to be done, simply because it might not proceed in his favor.” 6 likes