Start by marking “The Beauty Bride” as Want to Read:
The Beauty Bride

The Beauty Bride (The Jewels of Kinfairlie #1)

3.78  ·  Rating Details ·  1,889 Ratings  ·  203 Reviews
More cherished than gold are the Jewels of Kinfairlie, and only the worthiest may fight for their love...The Laird of Kinfairlie has unmarried sisters, each a gem in her own right. And he has no choice but to see them all wed in haste.

Lady Madeline’s heart is not for sale...especially not to a notorious outlaw like Rhys FitzHenry. Yet Madeline’s hand has been sold, to none
Nook, 0 pages
Published July 26th 2011 by Claire Delacroix, via Smashwords (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Beauty Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beauty Bride

Dorine
Sep 22, 2015 Dorine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical lovers
Currently an eBook freebie (not sure how long it's free - hurry!), so I thought I'd revisit the review I wrote for it in 2004 at Romance Junkies. Fun historical series -- I'll add the reviews for the other two I've read soon.

Scotland - April 1421

Madeline refuses to marry, much to her brother's frustration. As new Laird of Kinfairlie, Alexander must see that his sisters are wed, for he cannot afford their keep. Madeline swears she is still mourning the death of her fiance and will wed no other ma
Pam Nelson
3.5 The beauty bride Stars

This was a book club book, and I will tell you it was a bit of a struggle to get through for me. I don’t know what it is about the Historical genre that gets to me. But I always feel really dumb reading them. I spend most of my time researching the language; maybe I am lazy and feel pleasure reading to me shouldn't take that much effort.

I don’t know but I will tell you over all I enjoyed the story of Lady Madeline and Rhys even if I didn't agree with it much or had to
May 31, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this for free through amazon kindle. I don't own a kindle, however I installed the pc software so I could read a few other interesting books I also found for free. As a full time student I've found it impossible to buy books over the last year and expect another year before I can afford to buy one. I was expecting this book to be just a bit of a time killer during my study breaks, but instead quickly found that I was skipping through my study to find time to read this. It was a fun read, ...more
April   ♥"LOS" ♥
There is something heartfelt and romantic about the relationship between Rhys FitzHenry and Lady Madeline of Kinfairlie. While their meeting and engagement is quite unique, the bond that they develop is genuine.

After the death of her betrothed, Madeline has refused all other potential suitors. Tired of her refusal, her brother Alexander decides to auction her hand in marriage to the highest bidder. But things don't go as planned when mercenary and reputed traitor, Rhys FitzHenry, wins the auctio
Kimberly
Jan 14, 2015 Kimberly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Coffee dates with The Beauty Bride

First date: Lady Madeline is the oldest unwed sister of Alexander, the new Laird of Kinfairlie. The coffers are running low and he must see them all wed. Madeline is refusing even though her beloved is believed dead. She holds out hope for his return and asks for more time. Alexander arranges of all things an auction to sell the first of his rarest gems to the highest bidder. Men he believes worthy have been invited to bid for her hand. Oh lordy, Madeline is non
Susan
Set on the east coast of Scotland, in 1421, Madeline is 23 and her betrothed James was killed on the English assault at Rougemont. Her brother Alexander is laird of Kinfairlie and as such, has the power to marry off herself and her 4 younger sisters (Annalise, Elizabeth, Viviane, Isabella). Madeline’s aunt Rosamund and uncle Tynman advise Alexander to hold an auction to sell off some of the estates art and jewels, including the matrimonial hand of Madeline. Needless to say, Madeline is not thril ...more
Inés Izal
Mar 30, 2014 Inés Izal rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Una historia sencilla, fácil de leer. No es el colmo de la originalidad, pero tiene puntos fuertes que ha sabido desarrollar.
Mi mayor pega es la de presentarnos a tantos personajes, ya que al ser una trilogía, podía haber dosificado el "bombardeo" de información.
Tutti Dolci
Nov 02, 2015 Tutti Dolci rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: medieval
Somewhat sweet, but heavy on the cheese-factor. Took me a while to chew through it.
Vikki Vaught
Review to follow.
Eileen Dandashi
Jan 03, 2015 Eileen Dandashi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having sampled Claire Delacroix’s books many years ago when quite young and recently having come back to her work with the audiobook The Rogue, I understand why I remember her name and came back to enjoy more. She writes excellent stories with intriguing plots, mixed with suspense and passion in a historical setting with lovely happy ever after endings. She will keep you enchanted. She has me.

The Beauty Bride plucked my heart strings. This book was the story of the pairing of Madeleine Lammergei
Shauni
The Beauty Bride is the first in The Brides of Kinfarlie Series and yes it is a reprint but if you haven't had a chance to read this series or this author give it a try. Claire Delacroix has long been a favorite of mine, although lately she has been sneaking around as Deborah Cooke and writing some wonderful Dragon Stories.. but Beauty is pure Claire. Intricate, interesting, detailed, sensual, simply divine.

The new Laird of Kinfarlie has all sorts of troubles, first off winter is not that far of
Jenna
Jun 08, 2012 Jenna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great story of Medieval-era romance~~~~~ After Madeline renounced not to marry upon knowing the demise of her betrothed in a French war, her brother Alexander was desperate for a wedding. Helping the family state being distitute, so Alexander doesn't have a choice but auction Madeline off. All the Scottish noble around the country gathered for the sale, and are outbid by Rhy's FitzHenry an avaricious and a well-known traitor of the king.

Though Rhy's was looking for a bride, Madeline in particu
†Ðawn†

Another miserable read.

Again, a rotten hero and a heroine TSTL. Stupid useless drivel mixed into the story as fluff, and long winded history that was not pertentient to the story.

It constantly perplexes me why authors make crappy heros. This one in particular had no redeeming qualities whatsoever. I was praying for his death throughout the entire book.

Even though he did the following to the heroine:

1. Purchased her at auction soley to claim land and an heir
2. stated if she did not give him a son
Georgie
I'd greatly enjoyed the contemporary series Coxwells by the same author (writing as Claire Cross / Deborah Cooke), where there was a really distinctive "voice" and a deftly plotted novel. This is flabby by comparison. Characters float from sympathetic to stupid, from loving to malevolent, for no convincing reason. The sense of period is completely missing - at a time when life expectancy was short, an unmarried beautiful well-born woman of 23 simply wouldn't have exist. For a much more satisfact ...more
Katrina Passick Lumsden
I find myself sort of semi-obsessed with historical romance right now, and this one was free on Amazon, so...

All things considered, it's not a bad book. The story is engaging, and there was enough suspense to keep me interested until the end. The fairy seemed a bit out of place, however. I don't know, it just didn't seem to really fit in with the rest of the story, and I don't know if that's due to sloppy writing or just personal preference on my part.

I found Madeline to be quite refreshing as
J.C. Cauthon
Jun 21, 2014 J.C. Cauthon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I grabbed this book during a Kindle free promotion, and I am glad that I did. Though it is a hefty read, it is well worth the time it takes to finish it.

Ms. Delacroix does an amazing job creating a vivid world and characters so detailed that they feel real.

As for the story itself, it is a riveting tale. It is packed with action, adventure, romance, and laughs, and you will find yourself drawn into it. I also love the way Ms. Delacroix builds on Welsh mythology and uses the fairies and their real
Leserling /Belana
I read this for a book discussion club,or rather, I listened to it. The narration was fine, and the book was OK, but a far cry from other historical romances that take place in Scotland.

Still, I was sufficiently entertained, and learned a few things, although I think a glossary wouldn't have gone amiss, as there are lots of expressions that aren't exactly widely known.

The main characters were plastic, however, the others were pale, and their motivation incomprehensible, especially towards the
Annie
I am not going to rate this book...I DNF, it is not my genre and I gave it almost 2hrs..it was for book club...and although the narration is lovely..I was listening to just listen...and I like to listen to enjoy...it did not catch my interest in 2hrs...so it is just not going to...I dont care for historical fiction...just not my thing...YMMV!
Angela
Apr 02, 2013 Angela marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, romance, free
17 April 2014: $0.00 FREE on Kindle
Theresa
Mar 08, 2017 Theresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful tale

Not sure how I came across this book but I loved it. Author weaves Welsh tales among the characters stories. Loved that she did that, I think I was as fascinated with the tales as was Madeline and her sisters when Rhys would tell one. Passion, love, lore and so much more in this book! Highly recommend it, I will be getting the next one too! :)
Juliette
Feb 08, 2017 Juliette rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I needed something brainless (no politics or hidden themes or unreliable narrators or red herrings, just a straightforward story) and I got this free a while back. It was okay. I am surprised this author has many other books, the dialogue was questionable in the beginning and got better.
Norma Reasor
Mar 24, 2017 Norma Reasor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked this book very much. Held my interest throughout.
Chris Gant
Mar 23, 2017 Chris Gant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good one. The story flowed well and the characters were well developed, even the supporting ones. The love growing between them was believable and at a nice pace. I enjoyed the Welsh stories and the spriggan was a fun addition. I'll look for the other books in the series.
Leeanna Campbell
Disappointed by the hero

Any hero who openly admits that he will never be faithful to his wife isn't much of a romantic hero in my eyes.
Linda
Mar 10, 2017 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Beauty Bride

I really enjoyed this tale. I wanted to keep reading to the end. Great characters, plenty of action. Good story line. Definitely recommend.
Linda Hays-Gibbs
The Beauty Bride Review by Linda Hays-Gibbs
of The Beauty Bride by Claire DelaCroix
The notorious outlaw Rhys FitzHenry was a hard man to whom fate had not been kind. He realized there was only one way to secure his claim to Caerwyn castle, marry his cousin. The problem was he was a traitor with a price on his head if he left Wales he could be killed but he loved Caerwyn more than his life.
First he rode everywhere looking for this lost cousin only to find her being auctioned off by her brother a
AnnMarie
Apr 02, 2016 AnnMarie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Beauty Bride is the first book in the 'Jewels of Kinfairlie' series by Clair Delacroix.

The story is about Madeline, the eldest of several sisters. Her brother Alexander has become head of the household since their mother and father died at sea. The same ship they died on, Madeline's betrothed, James, is said to have died as well. She has been in mourning ever since and has no intention of marrying any time soon. Alexander knows his younger sisters won't marry until the eldest is wed, but wit
Sabrina
I have to be honest; I stopped reading this book the night of the auction because it seemed so far-fetched and ridiculous that I couldn’t continue. I mean the first couple of pages talk about this wonderful family where the siblings all played pranks on each other and for the most part get along. How the heck could the brother have been talked into basically “selling” his sister?! Crops are bad, they need money and/or one less mouth to feed, I get it. But auctioning your sister for marriage – no ...more
  • What Wild Moonlight
  • Twin Passions
  • A Knight's Temptation (Knight's, #3)
  • Warrior's Bride (The Stones of Destiny, #2)
  • The Mistress of Trevelyan (Trevelyan #1)
  • Unspoken (The MacLauchlans, #1)
  • Emerald Embrace
  • Taffeta and Hotspur
  • The Countess' Lucky Charm
  • The Wild One (de Montforte Brothers, #1)
  • Her Wicked Ways (Secrets & Scandals #1)
  • Duke of Deception
  • Caroline (Beauvisage, #1)
  • Lady in White (Lady Series #2)
  • To Love a Scoundrel (Law and Disorder, #4)
  • An Undeniable Rogue (Rogues Club, #1)
New York Times bestselling author Claire Delacroix sold her first book in 1992, an historical romance called THE ROMANCE OF THE ROSE. Since then, she has published over forty romance novels and novellas, and has also been published under the names Claire Cross and Deborah Cooke. She has an honours degree in history, with a focus on medieval studies. She is an avid reader of medieval vernacular lit ...more
More about Claire Delacroix...

The Jewels of Kinfairlie (4 books)
  • The Rose Red Bride (The Jewels of Kinfairlie, #2)
  • The Snow White Bride (The Jewels of Kinfairlie Book 3)
  • The Ballad of Rosamunde

“No man of honor avoided what needed to be done, simply because it might not proceed in his favor.” 6 likes