Start by marking “Nigella Christmas” as Want to Read:
Nigella Christmas

Nigella Lawson

Nigella Christmas

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  2,235 ratings  ·  44 reviews
English TV food show star Nigella Lawson doesn't want to be called a celebrity chef or even a cook or an expert on food. Relying on hard work, talented associates, and savvy experimentation, she has managed, however, to cook up a medley of tempting recipes and successful cookbooks. Nigella Christmas is a well-planned gathering of year-end recipes worth caroling about. Ms....more
Published October 27th 2009 by Hyperion (first published October 2nd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Nigella Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nigella Christmas

Darlene
Just in time for Christmas, Nigella Lawson has brought us a wonderful Christmas gift in her new cookbook Nigella Christmas. First I have to say this is a beautiful book. The photography is absolutely amazing. To tell you the truth I could just look at the pictures over and over again and be happy. They are bright and vibrant and there are so many of them and of all kinds of things, not only food. She has pictures of her table, of gifts, of herself and her kids and a lot of other little things. T...more
Hannah
A perfect addition to my book shelf, some truly indulgent and easy recipes to help make Christmas that tad bit more exciting. the pictures are stunning and add a dimensions to this book lacking in here first few.
i loved her writing about the real pagan traditions that have been over looked at Christmas , the way its been turned into a holiday of ridiculous glittering lights and spending far to much on useless presents.
Her writing in whimsical but so very true, the traditions are inspirational so...more
Lisa Janda
I'm a whore for Nigella and own all her books; this one, however, was a bit of a disappointment in that I already own all her books. This is a collection of previously published recipes, which, on its own, makes a very worthwhile addition to a collection that is Nigella-less. Or for someone like me who just wanted it for the collection. It's a very pretty book, with lush photos throughout but I wouldn't run over a basket of kittens for it.
Virginia Campbell
"Nigella Christmas" is such a gorgeous book. It truly is one of those cookbooks that looks good enough to eat! The introduction is interesting, informative, and unexpected--combining ancient holiday customs with modern awareness and sensibility. Being a watcher of TV's "Nigella Feasts", I am familiar with the author's speaking voice and persona. I could distinctly "hear" her speaking the introduction while I read it, and that made the words even more enjoyable. Nigella Lawson's food is sumptuous...more
Iowa City Public Library
I love listening to Nigella Lawson when she is an occasional guest on NPR; I imagine many tv-watching cooks enjoy her program on the Food Network as well. Her down-to-earth approach to cooking and entertaining, and her self-admitted indulgent love of eating are as apparent in her cookbooks as they are in her media appearances. Nigella Christmas, published late last year, is a prime example.

Lawson’s approach to Christmas is a secular one that revels in hospitality, gift-giving, celebration, and s...more
Saskia
Ik denk dat dit mijn absoluut favoriete kookboek is (alhoewel, dat natuurlijk kan variëren ;-)). Sinds ik het heb gekocht, kook ik eigenlijk elk jaar uit dit geweldige boek. Maar waarom kocht ik het eigenlijk? Nou... Er was eens een extreem drukke decembermaand waarin het keihard werken was op kantoor. Maar dankzij vriendin Marleen keek ik elke avond in de week voor kerst naar het geweldige kerst-kookprogramma van Nigella waarin de recepten uit dit boek aan de orde kwamen. Wat een rustpunt in al...more
Catherine Woodman
I really do not like the selling of Nigella. But her recipes and ideas about how to do holidays are really quite nice. What other cookbook has 25 shots of the author? Which outpaces the photos of food (which are quite good)? Silly really. But it is part of her packaged persona, and I can't get past it, even though I have made many a wonderful thing that she has proposed creating. This one has a fruit cake that has no flour, that I think (paradoxically) could be great for Passover. Additionally t...more
PoligirlReads
I love Nigella Lawson and all things Nigella-related. I mean *love*. I mean love in a way that's probably not quite healthy and that might just warrant professional help. This is why it pains me to give Nigella Christmas just two stars. And really, the two stars are for the as-always beautiful writing. I started this book dreaming about how I would make a holiday feast based on her recipes, and maybe even adopt an accent in proper homage while I labored over a hot stove in full makeup and hair....more
Renee
Reading through this book, I'm even more excited about Christmas. She tells it all charmingly and realistically as ever. I'm particularly enticed by a couple of unexpected things - butternut orzotto, a range of cocktails with impressive sounding non-alcoholic additions (I'm only interested because I'm pregnant, believe me!), and some wonderfully easy-looking (once I find the ingredients) home-made preserves to make as gifts. Or, presumably, to enjoy oneself. This is a fabulous pre-Christmas gift...more
Naomi
Nigella and Christmas seem to just belong to together. I have never gone to any other book for guidance at Christmas time, only Nigellas' will do. I worship the Girdle-buster and fantasize all-too-often about her spruced up vanilla cake - which I happen to make all-year round. Her perfect roast potatoes make my mouth salivate and my heart sing and her gold dust stars can lift anyone's spirits. It is not just the recipes in this book that make it so good. Is is her descriptions, her imagery that...more
Anna
the first Nigella Lawson cookbook I purchased, Nigella Christmas is the reason why I bought all of Nigella's cookbooks! I loved everything about it, the photography, the layout, the little stories behind the recipes, the tips to make things in advance, and, obviously, the recipes! I loved all the recipes for the holiday season, I made a lot of the food to give to family and friends (chutneys, sweets, you name it!) and everyone loved it! The Christmas dinner was a real success, my non-British rel...more
Sherrie
I like to watch Nigella, but I'm not sure she's my favorite cookbook writer, odd hmm? Her main courses in this book are fairly labor intensive, requiring that you actually sit down and plan out your timing of how you throw together these holiday menus. I think she should have taken her approach from her last book, Nigella Express, and tried that out in a holiday book. Also, damnit: I don't own a tagine.
Caroline Magill
I wheel this out every year around October time to start my Christmas chutneys, then I move on to the Christmas cake in November. The gingerbread recipe is a tried and tested Christmas Eve favourite to make with the kids and my Christmas dinner veggies come from here. The piece de resistance is the Cranberry sauce that I make copious quantities of to give to loved ones each year. Perfection.
Petra Sýkorová
Dobře, nikdy jsem si do to-read nedala cookbook, ale když jsem si ji nedávno koupila a celou pročetla, říkám si, proč ne? :D Mám Nigellu jako kuchařku moc ráda, jednu hvězdičku dávám dolů jen za to, že jsou to typické anglické recepty - což je samozřejmě pochopitelné, vzhledem k autorce - a mě štve, že si některé nejspíš s našimi českými ingrediencemi nebudu moci udělat...!
Donna Hosie
If you want a great Xmas cookbook, this should be the one you invest in. Every year, without fail, I make my Xmas cake from Nigella's recipe.

Everything you might want to cook is in here: starters, main, desserts to bloody die for...and don't get me started on her fabulous roast potatoes! My son can eat 15 in one sitting!

I'm drooling on my iPad now. Is it Xmas yet?
Kaajal Noorani
All I can say about this book is, it just welcomes the entire Christmas season. A true true visual pleasure, with the way the recipes are clubbed together for a feast, are worthy of praise. It encapsulates just everything that one might be invisaging to create or make during Christmas. It just simply inspires you, to get started. A lovely book.
Noémi Balási
Nigella is the most literary cook ever. It's a joy to read her cookbook, especially with the approach of Christmas. And it's not because the food is so outstanding or unusual, but the way she decribes every single dish you become to understand that this time of the year is really something magical.
Beth
This is a beautiful book, but it seemed too busy to me. Maybe it's the ADD in me, but there are so many pictures and sidebars and narratives, that the food seems secondary.

I normally LOVE Nigella, but this book just couldn't hold my attention.
Katie
usually I love Nigella's cookbooks ... but this one is a little weird. It's kind of traditional - fruitcake recipes, mincemeat, how to marinate a goose, etc. Not a lot of good holiday baking recipes either.
Rachel
While I love Nigella, I am not feeling particularly ambitious about roasting a goose or making traditional Christmas pudding this year. Maybe next year...
Samantha
A great addition to the Xmas experience! I love a Xmas themed recipe book as the anticipation of cooking is almost always better than the actual event!
Leslied
Good. Mostly I just want to have Christmas at her house. This book incorporates recipes from her other books too so I recommend trying your library first.
G.G.
Full of wonderful food to cook, even if there are only two of you and full-scale Christmas dinners en famille are not your thing!
Anita
I love looking through this book at Christmas. Even if I don't make anything from it. It's one of my little holiday rituals.
Lucy J Jeynes
Lovely book....lovely cocktails....lots of photos of Nigella wearing Christmassy low cut tops so boys might like this one too ;-)
Terri
I use this every Christmas. It is not only a delight to cook from, but a delight just to flick through.
Carrie
Pumpkin Goat Cheese Lasagne and Christmas Chocolate Sponge Pudding with hot chocolate sauce. Need I say more?
Mare
One of my favourite cookbooks! Has never left my kitchen since I bought it. Makes a lovely gift!
This contained a lot of repeated recipes from her previous books. I was slightly disappointed.
Pam
A beautiful book but I didn't really find that many recipes that I was interested in.
  • Bake
  • Off The Shelf: Cooking From the Pantry
  • Apples for Jam: A Colorful Cookbook
  • Baking Made Easy
  • The Little Paris Kitchen
  • All Cakes Considered: A Year's Worth of Weekly Recipes Tested, Tasted, and Approved by the Staff of NPR's All Things Considered
  • River Cottage Every Day
Nigella Lawson is the daughter of former Conservative cabinet minister Nigel Lawson (now Lord Lawson) and the late Vanessa Salmon, socialite and heir to the Lyons Corner House empire, who died of liver cancer in 1985. Lawson attended Godolphin and Latymer School and Westminster School before graduating from Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford, with a degree in Medieval and Modern Languages.
Lawson wrote a r...more
More about Nigella Lawson...
How to Be a Domestic Goddess: Baking and the Art of Comfort Cooking Nigella Express: Good Food, Fast Feast: Food to Celebrate Life Nigella Bites: From Family Meals to Elegant Dinners--Easy, Delectable Recipes for Any Occasion How to Eat: The Pleasures and Principles of Good Food