Start by marking “Cold Day in Hell” as Want to Read:
Cold Day in Hell

Cold Day in Hell (Fritz Malone #2)

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  17 reviews
In the stew and dazzle of New York City, savvy, irreverent Fritz Malone–who Susan Isaacs called “the perfect balance of noir P.I. and decent guy”–is embroiled in a string of grisly murders that drags him behind the lurid headlines into the tangled affairs of some the city’s most beautiful people and their ugly truths.

When two women linked with charismatic late-night TV per
Published March 13th 2007 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about Cold Day in Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold Day in Hell

LJ
COLD DAY IN HELL (Priv. Invest.-Fritz Malone—NYC-Cont) - Poor
Hawke, Richard – 2nd in series
Random House, 2007, US Hardcover – ISBN:
First Sentence: On the last day of her life, she took a yoga class.
*** Private Investigator Fritz Malone becomes involved in a case where late-night television host, Marshall Fox, has been accused of serial rape. When additional corpses, with the same M.O., show up while Fox is in jail, it raises the possibility of either a mistrial or a copy-cat killer.
*** Mr. Hawke
Jerry
Having read all five of Tim Cockey’s earlier “Hearse” novels, about a wise-cracking mortician who doubles as an amateur sleuth, we have turned to the author’s obviously more serious mystery/thrillers written as Richard Hawke. The first, “Speak of the Devil”, introduced private detective Fritz Malone, a likable and resourceful fellow, who eventually solves a quite complicated set of crimes. In “Cold Day”, Malone is looking into the death of a neighbor girl he barely knew which seems connected to ...more
Karen
Fans of wise cracking, hard men with hearts of gold style Private Investigators are going to be very pleased to catch up with Fritz Malone in Richard Hawke's second book COLD DAY IN HELL.

Set in New York, COLD DAY IN HELL opens up with famous late-night TV star, Marshall Fox on trial for two grisly murders. Fritz Malone could care less about the trial, but when one of Fox's former lovers is murdered in her apartment using a signature piece from the first two murders, Malone gets interested. First
Carol
A big disappointment. This was the second book in the Fritz Malone series. Hawke should have stayed with Malone but he chose to bring in one too many characters for my reading enjoyment. I don't care for the jumping from the past to the present without a heads up. From the dead to the when they were alive..The only good scenes were between Fritz and Jigs and they were few and far between.
Nick
This is Richard Hawke’s second novel (previously Speak of the Devil) starring NY based P.I. Fritz Malone. Hawke drops us right into the middle of a murder trial. Marshal Fox is a rags to riches story, a wilderness guide in South Dakota spotted by TV producer Alan Lomax and brought back to New York to star in his own late night talk show. Fox is charming, good looking and a complete sensation on late night televeison. Then two women end up dead. One his recently fired producer who was carrying hi ...more
Kathy
I think I found this book by browsing through my "read" list, seeing this author and wondering if he had another book. A quick search and, voila, he did.

Good mystery book about a late-night TV show host accused of serial killing. While the guy's on trial (and locked up), two more people are killed in the same gruesome way. Is he innocent or is there a copycat?

Good characters, interesting plot turns and a not very obvious (which is how I like it) ending. I read most of this on planes and airport
Kurt Young
2nd Fritz Malone book isn't quite as strong as the first. Time passes for some characters, in order to advance the plot, but seems to stand still for the world. Ambitious story, and not unenjoyable, but sloppy. The revelation of the killer is particularly unsatisfying: One clue is presented to the reader and then 30 pages later it's all laid out. Sloppy.

Great characters, and a wonderful narrator's voice.
Lora
I read this book in fits and starts, so that may have alterted my enjoyment somewhat. I have enjoyed the Tim Cockey series more. I may try the other book as may be more in the "mood" when I read that one. THis book lacks the humorous parts that I remember from the other series and the other characters are not as enjoyable either. It did have an interesting story line with an unexpected ending.
Marca
P.I. Fritz Malone works with the NYPD to find a serial killer. The chief suspect is a wildly popular late night TV host because the victims are women who had brief flings with him. Except the murders continue when the TV host is behind bars. Copycat or wrong suspect? Good characters; good mystery. Will read more Fritz Malone.
Janet
I am not sure what to say. It was just okay. I really felt it jumped to much. I got lost a few times and had to go back. After Fritz was stab and hurt, the story took a big turn and you lost him. Then Fritz returned. A lot of twists and turns.
Mike
I doubt I will be going down this author's road again. The components of the story are not new and you can see them in any number of mystery novels and procedural tv crime shows. To employ the author's phrase, "It's life made inconsequential".
Terry Price
Nice cops vs. killers piece with some twists. Easy to read, but sometimes a little hard to follow if you read it in several sessions and don't have the greatest memory.
Gabrielle
Not much to say about this book just other than the fact that it was boring, drawn out and just plain not a good read.
Rogers
Good read. I have liked all his lighthearted Tim Cockey 'Hearse' efforts, and this was a real step up!
Becky
moves along, Hawke is good escape. Love the Noir aspects
MzDivaDawn
This one wasn't as good as the first one
too predictable
Con Mercer
Con Mercer is currently reading it
Apr 23, 2015
Matt Blair
Matt Blair marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Jeff
Jeff added it
Feb 14, 2015
Tess
Tess added it
Feb 12, 2015
Miguel M.
Miguel M. marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Elaine
Elaine added it
Dec 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

Fritz Malone (2 books)
  • Speak of the Devil
Speak of the Devil House of Secrets Disney's Pop-Up: Animals House of Secrets Super Snappy ABC