Start by marking “The Complete Works” as Want to Read:
The Complete Works

The Complete Works

4.64 of 5 stars 4.64  ·  rating details  ·  2,005 ratings  ·  91 reviews
Austen had many admiring readers who considered themselves part of a literary elite: they viewed their appreciation of Austen's works as a mark of their cultural taste. Philosopher and literary critic George Henry Lewes expressed this viewpoint in a series of enthusiastic articles. This theme continued later in the century with novelist Henry James, who referred to Austen ...more
Published August 4th 2011 by Doma Publishing House (first published January 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Works, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Works

Joanne Dorfman

I have ready every Jane Austen book at least ten times. I never get tired of them.
Lauren
Aug 02, 2011 Lauren marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I've always wanted to read Jane Austen, but I when it came between buying a classic story and a new release while wandering the bookstore, the new release always won. However, as I was moping around Borders, trying not to feel the hollow ache as I passed each Going Out of Business sign, I noticed this gigantic book nearly crushing the table under its weight. Not one, but four Jane Austen novels all for the price of $7.99!! Just 7.99!!!

Yeah, so I lugged it around and bought it. Now onto the actua
midnightfaerie
This book, The Complete Works of Jane Austen, is not to be confused with The Newly Discovered, Unfinished, & Finished Complete Works of Jane Austen. The first, which I have completed, contains only the larger, more popular novels that Austen is known for, while the other contains those novels along with many smaller obscure novels, novellas, poems, and letters. I have finished the major books, and am now working my way through the smaller ones.

As for my opinion on Austen:

As I work my way thr
Ada
I decided to read this "Sense and Sensibility" after watching the 3 hour BBC version. I had watched the Hugh Grant, Kate Winslet, and Emma Thompson version years ago and enjoyed it. I wanted to find which one was the closest to the book. Though Jane Austen's writing is harder for me to read, I thoroughly enjoy the outcome. I needed a dictionary handy as I went through, but I love the character development and seeing how two sisters handle pain differently. Marianne thinks Elinor knows nothing ab ...more
Rosa Ramôa
Frases de Jane Austen:

"Não quero que as pessoas sejam muito gentis; pois tal poupa-me o trabalho de gostar muito delas".

"Metade do mundo não consegue compreender os prazeres da outra metade".

"O negócio pode trazer dinheiro, mas a amizade raramente o faz".
Steve
This may not be a "mans" book, but it is a good read. There was a little too much chattiness for my liking at times, but the story resonates with me as it resembles (fondly) my courtship with my wife. I see myself in Mr. Darcy (prideful and not outgoing), and something of my wife in Lizzy (opinionated and strong (and strong headed).
Carmen
One of my favorite writers. Pride and Prejudice the very first book in English I read in my life.
Natalie
Ughh.. so many words to say so little. I just can not appreciate Jane Austin stories. I have tried several times and could not get through even one. I gave up. I hardly ever give up. That is how much i cannot appreciate Jane Austin.
Susan Phipps-harris
I love her many written arts. I love her stories and the strong women, for those days, she portrays in her work.
Fadia Khan
love this book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! awwwwwwsome!! jane austin is the best author in the world!!!!!
Candace
I am at a lose of words. Who doesn't love Jane Austen?
Lau-sanne Pepler
I have read all the Jane Austen books now and although everyone seems to love either Pride and Prejudice or Sense and Sensibility. My favorite is still Persuasion. I love the way that Wentworth is portrayed. And of all Austen's books it is the least pretty one. There is more of a realness to it. The obvious damsel in distress, the hero, the villain and the loss of money is still the story, that is so classically Jane. But the characters are less rosy. And I love that about the book.
Paige West
In my eyes nothing can beat Jane Austen, she defines the definition of Classic Romance. Whether your reading for the first time or re reading again, always do we long for a Mr Darcy to come along and sweep us off our feet!
Erinn
Mar 01, 2011 Erinn is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic-lit
2-28-11 Trying to finish Emma was about as interesting as going to the dentist. Less actually since something good usually comes from a dental visit. All Emma left me with was a sense of disappointment and a vast amount of boredom.

5-13-10 I finally got through Pride and Prejudice. I think my mistake was trying to read other books at the same time.

2-23-10 Starting Pride and Prejudice, well actually I read the first 4 chapters a couple weeks ago but I think I'll reread them just to refresh my mem
Laura Garber
When I was a teenager, I couldn't get enough of reading Brit lit. Estates, balls, carriage rides and strong female protagonists. Still love it!
Erisa Dani
My favourite book of Austen is definetely'Pride and Prejuidice'. It's amazingly-written,and the plot is exquisite
Louise Vanacker
I love Jane Austen and think that her books are pure genius! I and definitely an Austenite!!
Chris Shepherd
Wanting more Jane Austen is a common feeling and I share it.
Jessicagord
Love Jane Austin. Reread her novels all the time.
Sandy
Read Sense & Sensibility, finally.
Christina
This is a timeless classic
Heather
Jun 20, 2012 Heather marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
It is hard for me to sit and read this book because the typeset is so small...seems to be taking forever to read it. It also doesn't help that I keep having bits of the movie(s) flash in my mind as I read it and almost like the movies much better than the books.

I've decided to skip Sense and Sensibility and Pride and Prejudice and come back to them later. The others I have not seen a movie about it hundreds of times, so maybe that will help me move through it quicker...the typeset is still very
Megan Dooley
Brilliant, I had no idea she had such a good sense of humor. They were lovely, great commentary on society, perception, and patience.
Kate
Fanny Price is an annoying git but the genius of Ms. Austen is I kept reading anyway for the wonderful style and lovely prose. All of these works were good but Northanger Abbey is hilarious. I am not steeped in the mores and conventions of her day but you don't have to be to know a genre slam when you you read it. To write about your era and still be hilarious hundreds of years later is a remarkable feat.
Gloria
I had read all the books contained here except Persuasion. I waited much too long to read this book. Eight and a half years of unrequited love is a good read. It might be one of her most approachable books as well. The lead male is an captain. He actually works for a living. It also seems what keeps them apart was not only external forces but the impatience of youth.
Libbeth
I have read all of Jane Austen's novels individually but bought this complete works from some bargain shop or other years ago so that I could re-read them. Unfortunately the print is so small and the book so thick to hold that I usually give up and read something else. The five stars are because of the novels and not because of this edition
Rachelle
Jun 23, 2011 Rachelle rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes classics
All together a great book. Some of her stories are better then others. It was fun reading the books I'd already seen the movie to. It was interesting to see what was left out in the movies and what was changed. It was also interesting to get more of an in depth look at the characters. This book contains all of her works.
Lizzie
I have long been a huge fan of all the movies they make based on Jane Austen's books but I never read all the books until not. Reading them all in one go was a bit of a struggle but I took breaks between books and I'm glad to say that I am no longer a Jane Austen POSER!
Dawna
Jane Austen is a genius, and has by writing these wonderful books given us a window into another world, a time we can travel back to in an age of chivalry.

Jane speaks of a very different time and the place and role woman played back in the day regency. Period.
  • Time of the Witch
  • Tassajara Cooking
  • The Art of Amy Brown II
  • The Complete Works of Charles Dickens (with commentary, plot summaries, and biography on Dickens)
  • Superflirt
  • The Bronte Sisters - The Complete Novels + Extras
  • The Arden Shakespeare Complete Works Paperback Edition: Arden Shakespeare (Arden Shakespeare Complete Works)
  • Rolling Thunder
  • A Modern Day Persuasion: An Adaptation of Jane Austen's Novel
  • Escaping into the Open: The Art of Writing True
  • Persuasion by Jane Austen
  • Frog And Toad Book Set: Frog And Toad Are Friends; Frog And Toad Together; Days With Frog And Toad; Frog And Toad All Year  (Frog and Toad #1-4)
  • Jane Eyre, Shirley, Villette & The Professor
  • The Holy Bible - American Standard Version (ASV)
  • Jane Eyre's Husband - The Life of Edward Rochester
  • The Adventure of the Norwood Builder (The Return of Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • The Phantom of Pemberley
  • Cabbages and Kings
Jane Austen (16 December 1775 – 18 July 1817) was an English novelist whose works of romantic fiction, set among the landed gentry, earned her a place as one of the most widely read writers in English literature, her realism and biting social commentary cementing her historical importance among scholars and critics.

Austen lived her entire life as part of a close-knit family located on the lower fr
More about Jane Austen...
Pride and Prejudice Sense and Sensibility Emma Persuasion Northanger Abbey

“––Querida, no pienses en cosas tristes. Tengamos esperanzas en cosas mejores. Animémonos con la idea de que puedo sobrevivirte.” 0 likes
“The good sense of Colonel” 0 likes