Start by marking “Ukulele for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Ukulele for Dummies

Ukulele for Dummies

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Learn everything ukulele--from chord progressions to playing pop, folk, and holiday favorites--and, yes, even Hawaiian music!The ukulele is hot. The season one finale of "Glee" featured a ukulele. The recent hit song "Hey Soul Sister" by Train includes the dulcet tones of a uke. Not to mention the runaway success of the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain. For anyone wishin ...more
Published June 9th 2011 by For Dummies

To ask other readers questions about Ukulele for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ukulele for Dummies

Jeanne
I've never been a fan of the "Dummies" books. This book has some good information, but the format is lacking. There is a little of everything and not enough of anything to really get going. I wouldn't recommend it.
Oddly, this is probably the uke book I use the most, even though I don't like the tone of the writing and find the format lacking (the organization of all Dummies books are the same, even when it doesn't make sense for the subject).
Melanie
This book was so much fun to read and play from. I highly recommend it for anyone interested in the ukulele. Lots of great information about buying and maintaining a uke and the history of ukes, but my favorite part was that Alistair Wood teaches how to play different styles of music on the ukulele. Comes with an audio track so you can hear him play the examples. As the copy I read came from my library, I hope to obtain a personal copy of this book very soon to use as a reference and to improve ...more
Raven
This book is super useful and easy to read.

It came with a companion CD so you can compare what you're playing to how it's supposed to sound and it's probably the best thing besides a personal instructor. I actually got the basics down within an hour, including how long it took to figure out how to tune it.

If anyone out there wants to learn how to play the ukulele, check this book out :D
Krollo
Amazing beginner's guide, took me from never having played the uke before to playing pop songs within literally two hours, and now three weeks later I'm just starting my YouTube channel. I skipped bits of no interest to me and it's not as chock-full of pieces like others, but great for skills, beginner to advanced.
Helen
I'm 20% done with Ukulele for Dummies: As recommended in the introduction, I am not reading this book in order. I headed for the care and maintenance chapter first and hit a few others before going back to chapter 1.

Done with the reading, the rest is reference and practice.
Angie
I thought this was a good introduction to chords and strumming for Uke. I'd have liked the full songs instead of just the first stanza and chorus so that practicing would have felt more like singing a full song. Makes me want to take lessons.
Katie
This book is accessible and interesting. It includes videos and audio files that really help you learn how to play. I have it on my nook and it wasn't too expensive.
Haylee
Haylee marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Laura Anderson
Laura Anderson is currently reading it
Jan 10, 2015
Shuvo Habib
Shuvo Habib marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Adrienne
Adrienne is currently reading it
Jan 04, 2015
Mary Irene
Mary Irene marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Eric
Eric is currently reading it
Jan 02, 2015
Laura Simpson
Laura Simpson is currently reading it
Jan 01, 2015
Douglas Eu
Douglas Eu marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Zoë
Zoë marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Luke O'Neill
Luke O'Neill marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Yvonne
Yvonne added it
Jan 01, 2015
Sally
Sally added it
Dec 28, 2014
Anna Hepworth
Anna Hepworth marked it as to-read
Mahfuzah Sham
Mahfuzah Sham marked it as to-read
Bee
Bee added it
learning how to play the ukulele 1 5 Feb 06, 2014 05:58AM
  • Spend Game (Lovejoy, #4)
  • Forbidden Friends
  • Wendy Knits Lace: Essential Techniques and Patterns for Irresistible Everyday Lace
  • Moods Of Future Joys
  • The Day the Country Died: A History of Anarcho Punk 1980 to 1984
  • The Emergence of Judy Taylor
  • I Wish I Could Say I Was Sorry...
  • Under the Olive Tree
  • Freeways to Flip-Flops: A Family's Year of Gutsy Living on a Tropical Island
  • All She Wants
  • The Traveller: Notes From an Imperfect Journey Around the World
  • The Story of Before
  • Bring The Noise: 20 Years of writing about Hip Rock and Hip-Hop
  • Voice of the Lost (Medair, #2)
  • Jo Nesbø Collection 3 Books Set: The Redbreast, Nemesis, The Devil's Star
  • Polyglot: How I Learn Languages
  • The Story Of "Crass"
  • Deadly Dozen: 12 Mysteries/Thrillers
Ukulele In A Day For Dummies Ukulele Exercises for Dummies Ukulele Exercises for Dummies, Enhanced Edition