Start by marking “Ukulele for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Ukulele for Dummies

Ukulele for Dummies (For Dummies)

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  225 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Learn everything ukulele--from chord progressions to playing pop, folk, and holiday favorites--and, yes, even Hawaiian music! The ukulele is hot. The season one finale of Glee featured a ukulele. The recent hit song "Hey Soul Sister" by Train includes the dulcet tones of a uke. Not to mention the runaway success of the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain. For anyone wishing ...more
Published June 9th 2011 by For Dummies

To ask other readers questions about Ukulele for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ukulele for Dummies

Mike Hill
Thought it would be fun to learn to play the Ukulele.

The first few chapters were very helpful, and got me off to a good start learning the basic chords. It had a few good songs in it. I especially liked learning to play the chords to "House of the Rising Sun."

After I got the basics, I ended up transitioning to Youtube videos to learn strum patterns and new songs/chords.

The middle to end of book gets into some more advanced stuff, like picking out the melody while playing chords. I'm too fossiliz
Jeanne
Oct 11, 2014 Jeanne rated it it was ok
I've never been a fan of the "Dummies" books. This book has some good information, but the format is lacking. There is a little of everything and not enough of anything to really get going. I wouldn't recommend it.
Feb 03, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it
Oddly, this is probably the uke book I use the most, even though I don't like the tone of the writing and find the format lacking (the organization of all Dummies books are the same, even when it doesn't make sense for the subject).
Stretto
Apr 16, 2015 Stretto rated it really liked it
This goes in to some depth of playing on the Uke. A lot may be beyond an absolute beginner but will be a continual resource as they develop.
J R
Jun 03, 2016 J R rated it it was amazing
Great book for that newbie to the ukulele.
Melanie
Sep 06, 2014 Melanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ukulele
This book was so much fun to read and play from. I highly recommend it for anyone interested in the ukulele. Lots of great information about buying and maintaining a uke and the history of ukes, but my favorite part was that Alistair Wood teaches how to play different styles of music on the ukulele. Comes with an audio track so you can hear him play the examples. As the copy I read came from my library, I hope to obtain a personal copy of this book very soon to use as a reference and to improve ...more
Ravencrantz
May 03, 2013 Ravencrantz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is super useful and easy to read.

It came with a companion CD so you can compare what you're playing to how it's supposed to sound and it's probably the best thing besides a personal instructor. I actually got the basics down within an hour, including how long it took to figure out how to tune it.

If anyone out there wants to learn how to play the ukulele, check this book out :D
Krollo
Sep 28, 2013 Krollo rated it it was amazing
Amazing beginner's guide, took me from never having played the uke before to playing pop songs within literally two hours, and now three weeks later I'm just starting my YouTube channel. I skipped bits of no interest to me and it's not as chock-full of pieces like others, but great for skills, beginner to advanced.
Helen
Mar 22, 2014 Helen rated it really liked it
I'm 20% done with Ukulele for Dummies: As recommended in the introduction, I am not reading this book in order. I headed for the care and maintenance chapter first and hit a few others before going back to chapter 1.

Done with the reading, the rest is reference and practice.
Angie
Dec 26, 2013 Angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned-books
I thought this was a good introduction to chords and strumming for Uke. I'd have liked the full songs instead of just the first stanza and chorus so that practicing would have felt more like singing a full song. Makes me want to take lessons.
Katie
Jul 09, 2012 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is accessible and interesting. It includes videos and audio files that really help you learn how to play. I have it on my nook and it wasn't too expensive.
Aina
Apr 18, 2015 Aina rated it it was amazing
Mark Masterson
Mark Masterson rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2016
JDM Diane
JDM Diane rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2016
Ivan Morgillo
Ivan Morgillo is currently reading it
Aug 21, 2016
Lorraine Connor
Lorraine Connor rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2016
Isyar
Isyar is currently reading it
Aug 07, 2016
Barbara
Barbara rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2016
Glenna Klaver
Glenna Klaver rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2016
Vix Clarke
Vix Clarke is currently reading it
Jul 25, 2016
LeighAnn
LeighAnn marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Scott
Scott is currently reading it
Jul 18, 2016
Fuquan Junze
Fuquan Junze rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2016
April Spencer
April Spencer rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2016
amy75r
amy75r marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Joey Lauberth
Joey Lauberth marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Q
Q marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
learning how to play the ukulele 1 5 Feb 06, 2014 05:58AM
  • The Complete Tommy And Tuppence
  • Learning UML 2.0
  • Seven Days to Tell You
  • Wendy Knits: My Never-Ending Adventures in Yarn
  • Spend Game (Lovejoy, #4)
  • Bring The Noise: 20 Years of writing about Hip Rock and Hip-Hop
  • Under the Olive Tree
  • Knits Men Want
  • The Traveller: Notes From an Imperfect Journey Around the World
  • Knitting for Baby: 30 Heirloom Projects with Complete How-to-Knit Instructions
  • Freeways to Flip-Flops: A Family's Year of Gutsy Living on a Tropical Island
  • The Gift of a Good Start
  • The Day the Country Died: A History of Anarcho-Punk, 1980-1984
  • Battlestar Galactica and Philosophy: Mission Accomplished or Mission Frakked Up?
  • The Tin Ring: How I Cheated Death
  • Forbidden Friends
  • You Are Here
  • The Emergence of Judy Taylor

For Dummies (1 - 10 of 79 books)
  • A Little Bit of Everything For Dummies