Start by marking “Bloody Murder” as Want to Read:
Bloody Murder

Read eBook* *Different edition

Bloody Murder

it was amazing 5.0  ·  Rating Details ·  1 Rating  ·  0 Reviews
Zofia Smith left behind a promising career as a journalist when she realized her former employers meant it when they said, "You'll never work in this business again." Convinced by her best friend to move to New Orleans and start over, Zo opened a bookstore in the Crescent City's French Quarter.

For six years, life was peaceful, enjoyable. Bloody Murder made a profit with it
Kindle Edition
Published (first published August 21st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Bloody Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bloody Murder

J.D.
Jan 06, 2015 J.D. rated it really liked it
Kate Kulig's Bloody Murder is the first installment in her series of the same name. The title refers to the name of the mystery bookstore owned by the protagonist, Zofia Smith, who comes downstairs from her apartment above the shop to find a man stabbed to death on the stairway. The investigation ends up revealing dark and uncomfortable secrets from Zo's past.

This is a good, solid book that straddles the amateur sleuth and romantic suspense subgenres. I hesitate to use the word "cozy" here for t
Katherine Gilraine
Feb 09, 2012 Katherine Gilraine rated it it was amazing
This has to be one of the most fun reads I had in a while. When Zofia, better known as Zo, trips over a dead body on her way to work (literally!), you get plunged into New Orleans in a way that you don't expect. I couldn't help but crack up at how on-point some of the characters came across, and from the beginning, I had to know exactly what happened to Mr. Dead Body to end up right in front of Zo's door.

Recommended for anyone who likes their mysteries, who likes to smile because they relate to
A.B. Shepherd
Apr 01, 2012 A.B. Shepherd rated it really liked it
See my review of Bloody Murder on my blog here: http://abshepherdsreinventedreader.bl...
Sarah Barlow
Mar 04, 2012 Sarah Barlow rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
I enjoyed this book very very much. The writing style was very naturalistic.
Tqwana
Jun 13, 2015 Tqwana rated it liked it
Bloody Murder is the first in a series of murder mysteries about the quaint little bookshop of the same name. And I can give it no higher praise than that it makes me want to pick up the rest of the novels. Mostly because I like the main character, Zofia Smith, who’s a smart, independent woman, not easily shaken, if a little harsh on her friends and colleagues (Poor James). Zo is a woman who’s loved mysteries her whole life, owns a mystery book store, finds herself in the middle of a real life ...more
Sharon Reamer
May 16, 2015 Sharon Reamer rated it really liked it
This book has a great first line: "I've never seen a crime scene contaminated by muffins before."
The Bloody Murder bookstore, owned and run by Zofia Smith, exists in the French Quarter in New Orleans. Although not normally known as a quiet part of town, the bookstore has enjoyed six years of peace and prosperity until Zofia trips over a body on the way downstairs from her apartment, upstairs from the bookstore, to go to work.

So far so good. Zofia's life becomes abruptly even more complicated whe
Lorne Oliver
Oct 16, 2012 Lorne Oliver rated it really liked it
Bloody Murder is the definition of a cozy mystery. It is not action packed and there is no gore, but you quickly start to care about the main character, Zo, and you want to stick around. It made me want to curl up in a chair and read on to unravel the mysteries in this woman’s life.

I don’t judge books by their covers, but I do judge books by their opening lines. “I’ve never seen a crime scene contaminated by muffins before,” had me hooked.

Now I will say that the first half of the novel is slow.
M Raindancerstahl
Nov 06, 2012 M Raindancerstahl rated it really liked it
This is a fun little twisty maze of finding a dead body and puzzling out the who, why, and how of it.

Normally I shy away from self-published books, but I knew Kate had spent the necessary time to turn her NaNoWriMo challenge into a real book. More importantly, I knew Kate had not only passed a college writing course, but also retained everything she had learned in 8th grade English class. (If you read enough comments on internet blogs, you might understand what I mean.) Also handicapping my open
Tamara Temple
Sep 10, 2011 Tamara Temple rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Still in the midst of this novel. The story is gripping, realistic, and the dialog is superb. I highly recommend this book and this author; looking forward to future novels!

Update: Finished the book and WOW!!! Did not entirely see that ending coming. (view spoiler).

This book is sprinkled with phrases that I've heard Kate utter at some point, or others in the chat spaces we both have inhabited. "For some Chinese values of interesti
C.C. Cole
Apr 28, 2012 C.C. Cole rated it really liked it
“Bloody Murder” by Kate Kurlig is about a young woman living in New Orleans who owns a bookstore by the name of the title. Following an attempt on her life, things get more and more complicated as she finds the assistance of a handsome investigator and her family background moves to the foreground. All around, it’s got romance, suspense, action, and a wonderfully written New Orleans backdrop, the best I’ve seen in a while. Great job, four stars!
Tanya Watt
Sep 23, 2013 Tanya Watt rated it really liked it
Bloody Murders is a good mystery book, I like how thought out Kulig’s writing is.

The characters are likable, and I love that it takes place in New Orleans – Plus the food sounds delicious!

The first few chapters were a little slow for me, but after that it picks up and I didn’t stop reading until I hit the last page. It’s a light read with the right amount of action and romance that I’m sure you will enjoy it as much as I did.
Shelley
Aug 02, 2012 Shelley marked it as to-read
Shelves: guest
Author's guest post at my blog:
Laurie Jasper
Laurie Jasper rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2013
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2012
Eric
Eric rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2011
Chea
Chea rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2015
Janet
Janet rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2014
Mark Drew
Mark Drew rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2012
Kate Kulig
Aug 26, 2011 Kate Kulig rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Kat
Kat rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2015
Cheron
Cheron rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2012
Georgette
Georgette rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2012
Opal
Opal rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2011
Malcolm P Settle
Malcolm P Settle rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2016
Alexander Williams
Alexander Williams rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2011
Kj
Kj rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2013
Babs
Babs marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2011
Fred
Fred marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Lisa Corathers
Lisa Corathers marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2013
Colette
Colette marked it as to-read
May 08, 2013
Blue
Blue marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2013
Rosangela
Rosangela marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Erika Bonaparte
Erika Bonaparte marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Gina Metz
Gina Metz marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Betty
Betty marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2015
Barb
Barb marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Noel
Noel marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Alicia Connolly
Alicia Connolly marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Cynthia Cuza
Cynthia Cuza marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Shaun Xia
Shaun Xia marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2016
Kate Kulig was born in Saugus, Massachusetts and denies all responsibility for the hospital burning down at a later date. Her first story that generated a positive response was, "If I were the Easter Bunny," when she was in first grade. She graduated from Hofstra University with a BA in Communications with a minor in English.

Five states, several moves and more than a few careers later, including
More about Kate Kulig...