4.55 of 5 stars 4.55  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  7 reviews
THE LIFE AND TIMES
OF A POP CULTURE PHENOMENON

From his modest 1962 debut in Amazing Fantasy #15, Peter Parker ? better known to readers as the web-spinning Spider-Man ? has evolved from underdog to international icon. Along the way he?s thrilled entire generations through the comics, cartoons, movies, and tons of spectacular toys.

Spider-Man: The Icon traces that unlikely e...more
Published October 23rd 2007 by Titan Books (first published January 1st 2007)

Parka
Spider-Man The Icon: The Life and Times of a Pop Culture Phenomenon
(More pictures at parkablogs.com)

This is a behemoth of a book, in terms of size and content. Spider-man has been given an impressive coverage.

The amount of research done by author Steve Saffel shows. Included is the whole history of Spider-man up to the blockbuster movies. That's from when Stan Lee was only a coffee boy and comics were only 12 cents!

There's everything a Spider-man fan could wish to read about. Licensing, toys, media coverage, marketing of comics overseas, re-adaption to differe...more
Alan
Mar 12, 2012 Alan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Peter Parker's pals
Recommended to Alan by: A very long history
Full disclosure: I've known Steve Saffel for a very long time. I met him in the late 1970s... long before he was an editor in New York, before he was employed by Marvel—before Saffel had Spider-Man on his business cards (and how cool is that?)... I met Steve way back in Huntington, West Virginia, when he and Valerie Stewart were the motivating forces behind MUSFS (the Marshall University Science Fiction Society, that is). So I am not going to be the most objective of reviewers, when it comes to...more
Simon
I got this book from my library and I was the first person to check it out, so that's pretty neat to have tucked in that book's history.

The book itself was very well informed on everything spider-man and the legacy of him. Everything about him, from conception to current present status is hugely talked about and explained with details and facts about the web-slinger.

Many comic excerpts were installed throughout the book and it was cool to see all the collaborations and merchandise.
Kirsty Fraser
Mar 22, 2008 Kirsty Fraser rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all adoring spiderman fans will love this book
I am a massive spiderman fan and have been for a while so this book was a welcome gift. It's a great book for both the adoring fan and people who don't know much about the superhero. Lots of glorious comic book covers and toys through the decades to look (and laugh) at.
Andy
A great book for any Spider-Man fan packed with the history of Spider-Man as an icon. Packed with pictures of all the comics, gadgets, toys and oddities that have emerged over the years.
Jono
Jul 27, 2011 Jono added it
Some beautiful artwork but gets a bit repetitive. Good coffee table book though.
Aaron Dudziński
Aaron Dudziński marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
David DeLuca
David DeLuca marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
Louis Fead
Louis Fead marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2013
Tone
Tone added it
Jul 06, 2013
Ivan Isaacs
Ivan Isaacs marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2013
Jason Manford
Jason Manford marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2013
Debbie
Debbie added it
Feb 24, 2013
Erin P.
Erin P. marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Skin Game (Dark Angel, #2) Dark Angel: The Eyes Only Dossier My Life in Comics The Best of Simon and Kirby The Simon and Kirby Superheroes